|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
(a) An artist.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A seamstress.
2. The approaching war referenced is __________.
(a) World War One.
(b) The Cold War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) World War Two.
3. The tone at the beginning of "Death In Venice" is ___________.
4. What is Aschenbach's financial situation?
(a) He is homeless.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) He is extravagantly wealthy.
5. Judging from the man's attire and physical characteristics, Aschenbach concludes that this man is NOT _______ .
(d) A man.
6. What is the complexion of the man at the chapel?
(b) Green and sickly.
7. What do Aschenbach's characters represent about his beliefs of humans?
(b) The ideal person.
(c) The scum of humanity.
(d) Corrupt politicians.
8. What is the cause of Aschenbach's sickness?
(b) Poor diet.
(c) Strain of work.
(d) Food poisoning.
9. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a Byzantine chapel.
(b) At a religious commune.
(c) At a Jewish temple.
(d) At a monastery.
10. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
(a) A son.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A wife.
(d) A brother.
11. What season is it at the beginning of "Death In Venice?"
12. What does Aschenbach credit his level of greatness to?
(a) People have sympathy for him.
(b) He has survived many trials.
(c) He is more talented than others.
(d) He is inherently better.
13. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
(a) His poverty.
(b) The death of a friend.
(c) His failure as a writer.
(d) The approaching war.
14. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
15. When did Aschenbach achieve fame?
(a) Only recently.
(b) Not yet, but he will.
(d) When he was young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aschenbach prides himself most on his _________.
2. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
3. How intelligent is Aschenbach?
4. What expression does the man at the chapel give to Aschenbach?
5. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)