|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aschenbach returns to the chapel at the end of his walk, the man has ___________.
(a) Begun praying.
(b) Changed his clothes.
(c) Struck up a discussion wth another man.
2. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
(b) Young man.
(c) Old man.
3. How aware is Aschenbach of his own mortality?
(a) He fears he will dies soon.
(b) He is unaware of his mortality.
(c) He thinks he is immortal.
(d) He plans to kill himself.
4. At the beginning of the book, why does Aschenbach take a walk?
(a) To pick flowers.
(b) To buy groceries.
(c) To meet a friend.
(d) To clear his mind.
5. At the beginning of the book, when Aschenbach encounters the man at the chapel, what does their interaction consists of?
(b) Lively conversation.
6. What is the cause of Aschenbach's sickness?
(a) Poor diet.
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) Strain of work.
7. What sort of school did Aschenbach attend?
(a) Catholic school.
(b) Military school.
(c) He didn't attend school.
8. On his walk, what does Aschenbach pass?
(a) A statue.
(b) A stoneyard with gravestones for sale.
(c) A garden.
(d) A homeless man.
9. How does Aschenbach look, physically?
10. What season is it at the beginning of "Death In Venice?"
11. Aschenbach's childhood is characterized by _______.
12. How many times has Aschenbach been divorced?
(d) He never married.
13. What happens in Aschenbach's daydream?
(a) He meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman.
(b) He foresees his own death.
(c) He remembers a birthday he spent with his parents.
(d) He sees a vivid scene of a tropical foreign land.
14. How long has Aschenbach been sick?
(a) A week.
(b) Since youth.
(c) A few years.
(d) Since yesterday.
15. Judging from the man's attire and physical characteristics, Aschenbach concludes that this man is NOT _______ .
(d) A man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Aschenbach reference to describe his physical health?
2. What does Aschenbach credit his level of greatness to?
3. How intelligent is Aschenbach?
4. What does Aschenbach think the benefit of a vacation will be?
5. Aschenbach's belief system and opinions are_________.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)