|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aschenbach has always led a(n) _____ life.
2. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
(a) His poverty.
(b) The death of a friend.
(c) His failure as a writer.
(d) The approaching war.
3. What is Aschenbach's father's profession?
(a) A salesman.
(b) An actor.
(c) An official.
(d) A teacher.
4. At the chapel, Aschenbach encounters a _______ man.
5. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
(a) A housewife.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) An artist.
(d) A teacher.
6. How aware is Aschenbach of his own mortality?
(a) He is unaware of his mortality.
(b) He plans to kill himself.
(c) He fears he will dies soon.
(d) He thinks he is immortal.
7. What is the complexion of the man at the chapel?
(b) Green and sickly.
8. What do Aschenbach's books represent?
(a) The struggles and triumphs of his generation.
(b) The criminal and corrupt nature of humans.
(c) The current political situation.
(d) The superiority of animals over humans.
9. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
(a) A son.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A brother.
(d) A wife.
10. Lately, Aschenbach has been _______ with his routine.
11. What type of school did Aschenbach attend?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Catholic school.
(c) Military school.
12. What characterizes Aschenbach's daydream?
13. What expression does the man at the chapel give to Aschenbach?
(a) A look of distress.
(b) A smile.
(d) A scowl.
14. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a Byzantine chapel.
(b) At a Jewish temple.
(c) At a religious commune.
(d) At a monastery.
15. When Aschenbach pulls back from his daydream, it shows his reluctance to follow ______.
(a) His parents' advise.
(b) Societal standards.
(c) His impulses.
(d) Other's direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Aschenbach been married?
2. At the beginning of the book, why does Aschenbach take a walk?
3. When does "Death In Venice" take place?
4. While Aschenbach takes his walk at the beginning of Part One, the streets of the city are _______.
5. The approaching war referenced is __________.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)