|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Aschenbach's dedication to work deprived him of?
(b) Having a social life.
(c) Having a wife.
(d) Having kids.
2. Aschenbach's wife is _______.
(d) Cheating on him.
3. Aschenbach's work ethic could be called _________.
4. Aschenbach's father is from _________.
5. Why does Aschenbach look at the world differently?
(a) Because he is an artist.
(b) Because he is colorblind.
(c) Because he has unusually excellent vision.
(d) Because he is hallucinating.
6. Judging from the man's attire and physical characteristics, Aschenbach concludes that this man is NOT _______ .
(d) A man.
7. What did the professions of Aschenbach's parents instill in him?
(a) Skill at robbery.
(b) Sarcasm and wit.
(c) Laziness and ungratefulness.
(d) Diligence in art.
8. What characterized Aschenbach in his youth?
(b) All of these.
9. On his walk, what does Aschenbach pass?
(a) A homeless man.
(b) A statue.
(c) A garden.
(d) A stoneyard with gravestones for sale.
10. Aschenbach's daydream shows his _______.
(a) Desire for adventure.
(b) Tendency to follow societal pressures.
(c) Dissatisfaction with humans.
(d) Fear of heights.
11. How does Aschenbach look, physically?
12. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
(a) A wife.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A brother.
(d) A son.
13. What province is Aschenbach from?
14. The man at the chapel carries a _______.
(a) Walking stick.
(c) Bag of money.
15. While out on his walk, Aschenbach begins to feel _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aschenbach pulls back from his daydream, it shows his reluctance to follow ______.
2. How intelligent is Aschenbach?
3. When Aschenbach returns to the chapel at the end of his walk, the man has ___________.
4. What do Aschenbach's books represent?
5. What do Aschenbach's characters represent about his beliefs of humans?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)