|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a Byzantine chapel.
(b) At a monastery.
(c) At a Jewish temple.
(d) At a religious commune.
2. The tone at the beginning of "Death In Venice" is ___________.
3. How long has Aschenbach been sick?
(a) A week.
(b) A few years.
(c) Since yesterday.
(d) Since youth.
4. What has Aschenbach's dedication to work deprived him of?
(a) Having kids.
(c) Having a social life.
(d) Having a wife.
5. What province is Aschenbach from?
6. Where does Aschenbach live?
(c) New York.
7. How does Aschenbach hide his loneliness?
(b) Superficial friendships.
8. The approaching war referenced is __________.
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War One.
(c) World War Two.
(d) The Cold War.
9. When did Aschenbach achieve fame?
(b) Only recently.
(c) Not yet, but he will.
(d) When he was young.
10. Lately, Aschenbach has been _______ with his routine.
11. What makes Aschenbach pull back from his daydream?
(a) He becomes tired.
(b) Diligence in work.
(c) Dissatisfaction with his imagination.
(d) Fear of judgement.
12. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
(a) The death of a friend.
(b) His poverty.
(c) The approaching war.
(d) His failure as a writer.
13. What season is it at the beginning of "Death In Venice?"
14. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A son.
(c) A brother.
(d) A wife.
15. When Aschenbach pulls back from his daydream, it shows his reluctance to follow ______.
(a) His impulses.
(b) His parents' advise.
(c) Other's direction.
(d) Societal standards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Aschenbach's books represent?
2. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
3. Aschenbach's belief system and opinions are_________.
4. How many times has Aschenbach been divorced?
5. What characterizes Aschenbach's daydream?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)