|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aschenbach pulls back from his daydream, it shows his reluctance to follow ______.
(a) Societal standards.
(b) Other's direction.
(c) His parents' advise.
(d) His impulses.
2. The man at the chapel has _____ teeth.
3. How does Aschenbach dress?
4. What province is Aschenbach from?
5. What has Aschenbach's dedication to work deprived him of?
(b) Having kids.
(c) Having a social life.
(d) Having a wife.
6. Where does Aschenbach live?
(b) New York.
7. What does Aschenbach think the benefit of a vacation will be?
(a) He will have an adventure.
(b) He will improve his writing.
(c) He will find his long lost brother.
(d) He will sleep better.
8. In Part Two, Aschenbach no longer feels _____ with his work.
9. What is the complexion of the man at the chapel?
(a) Green and sickly.
10. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
11. What does Aschenbach chronically suffer from?
(a) Bad health.
12. What did the professions of Aschenbach's parents instill in him?
(a) Laziness and ungratefulness.
(b) Diligence in art.
(c) Skill at robbery.
(d) Sarcasm and wit.
13. Aschenbach prides himself most on his _________.
(d) Good looks.
14. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(d) Dark and cloudy.
15. What is Aschenbach's financial situation?
(a) He is extravagantly wealthy.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) He is homeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of Aschenbach's sickness?
2. Aschenbach's belief system and opinions are_________.
3. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
4. Aschenbach's work ethic could be called _________.
5. At the beginning of the book, why does Aschenbach take a walk?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)