|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
(b) Warm and sunny.
(d) Dark and cloudy.
2. What type of school did Aschenbach attend?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Catholic school.
(c) Military school.
3. Why does Aschenbach look at the world differently?
(a) Because he is hallucinating.
(b) Because he is an artist.
(c) Because he has unusually excellent vision.
(d) Because he is colorblind.
4. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
5. What happens in Aschenbach's daydream?
(a) He foresees his own death.
(b) He meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman.
(c) He sees a vivid scene of a tropical foreign land.
(d) He remembers a birthday he spent with his parents.
6. Aschenbach's mother is from ________.
7. Aschenbach's belief system and opinions are_________.
8. What expression does the man at the chapel give to Aschenbach?
(a) A scowl.
(b) A smile.
(d) A look of distress.
9. What is Aschenbach's financial situation?
(a) He is extravagantly wealthy.
(b) He is wealthy.
(c) He is homeless.
(d) He is poor.
10. What author does Aschenbach reference to describe his physical health?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
11. Aschenbach's wife is _______.
(d) Cheating on him.
12. What is the complexion of the man at the chapel?
(a) Green and sickly.
13. Aschenbach prides himself most on his _________.
(d) Good looks.
14. How long has Aschenbach been sick?
(a) Since youth.
(b) A few years.
(c) A week.
(d) Since yesterday.
15. At the beginning of the book, when Aschenbach encounters the man at the chapel, what does their interaction consists of?
(c) Lively conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tone at the beginning of "Death In Venice" is ___________.
2. What did the professions of Aschenbach's parents instill in him?
3. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
4. At the beginning of the book, why does Aschenbach take a walk?
5. The man at the chapel has _____ teeth.
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)