|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aschenbach's father's profession?
(a) An official.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An actor.
(d) A salesman.
2. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
(a) Dark and cloudy.
(c) Warm and sunny.
3. Aschenbach keep his beard _________.
(a) Long and curly.
(b) Big and white.
4. The man at the chapel carries a _______.
(a) Walking stick.
(b) Bag of money.
5. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a religious commune.
(b) At a Jewish temple.
(c) At a monastery.
(d) At a Byzantine chapel.
6. Aschenbach's work ethic could be called _________.
7. Aschenbach's wife is _______.
(a) Cheating on him.
8. Judging from the man's attire and physical characteristics, Aschenbach concludes that this man is NOT _______ .
(d) A man.
9. What characterized Aschenbach in his youth?
(d) All of these.
10. What makes Aschenbach pull back from his daydream?
(a) Dissatisfaction with his imagination.
(b) Diligence in work.
(c) Fear of judgement.
(d) He becomes tired.
11. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
12. How many children does Aschenbach have?
13. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
14. At the chapel, Aschenbach encounters a _______ man.
15. What type of school did Aschenbach attend?
(a) Catholic school.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) Military school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
2. Aschenbach's father is from _________.
3. How aware is Aschenbach of his own mortality?
4. What happens in Aschenbach's daydream?
5. In Part Two, Aschenbach no longer feels _____ with his work.
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)