|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Aschenbach's books represent?
(a) The struggles and triumphs of his generation.
(b) The current political situation.
(c) The superiority of animals over humans.
(d) The criminal and corrupt nature of humans.
2. What is the purpose of Part Two of "Death In Venice?"
(a) To explain Part One.
(b) To gain sympathy for Aschenbach.
(c) To set the political context.
(d) To explain Aschenbach's personality.
3. What does Aschenbach credit his level of greatness to?
(a) He is more talented than others.
(b) He is inherently better.
(c) He has survived many trials.
(d) People have sympathy for him.
4. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
(a) The approaching war.
(b) His poverty.
(c) The death of a friend.
(d) His failure as a writer.
5. While Aschenbach takes his walk at the beginning of Part One, the streets of the city are _______.
6. Aschenbach's wife is _______.
(c) Cheating on him.
7. Aschenbach sees a man at the chapel. What color is the man's hair?
8. How many children does Aschenbach have?
9. What is Aschenbach's financial situation?
(a) He is extravagantly wealthy.
(b) He is wealthy.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He is homeless.
10. What makes Aschenbach pull back from his daydream?
(a) Dissatisfaction with his imagination.
(b) Fear of judgement.
(c) He becomes tired.
(d) Diligence in work.
11. When Aschenbach returns to the chapel at the end of his walk, the man has ___________.
(a) Changed his clothes.
(b) Struck up a discussion wth another man.
(d) Begun praying.
12. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A brother.
(c) A son.
(d) A wife.
13. While out on his walk, Aschenbach begins to feel _________.
14. When did Aschenbach achieve fame?
(b) Only recently.
(c) Not yet, but he will.
(d) When he was young.
15. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
(a) A housewife.
(b) An artist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A seamstress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aschenbach has a _______ complexion.
2. What province is Aschenbach from?
3. What does Aschenbach chronically suffer from?
4. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
5. What sort of school did Aschenbach attend?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)