|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aschenbach's childhood is characterized by _______.
2. What happens in Aschenbach's daydream?
(a) He remembers a birthday he spent with his parents.
(b) He meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman.
(c) He sees a vivid scene of a tropical foreign land.
(d) He foresees his own death.
3. What does Aschenbach think the benefit of a vacation will be?
(a) He will sleep better.
(b) He will improve his writing.
(c) He will have an adventure.
(d) He will find his long lost brother.
4. Aschenbach's daydream shows his _______.
(a) Fear of heights.
(b) Desire for adventure.
(c) Dissatisfaction with humans.
(d) Tendency to follow societal pressures.
5. What does Aschenbach credit his level of greatness to?
(a) He has survived many trials.
(b) He is more talented than others.
(c) He is inherently better.
(d) People have sympathy for him.
6. What makes Aschenbach pull back from his daydream?
(a) Diligence in work.
(b) He becomes tired.
(c) Fear of judgement.
(d) Dissatisfaction with his imagination.
7. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
(a) The approaching war.
(b) The death of a friend.
(c) His poverty.
(d) His failure as a writer.
8. Aschenbach has a _______ complexion.
9. What has Aschenbach's dedication to work deprived him of?
(a) Having kids.
(b) Having a social life.
(d) Having a wife.
10. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a Jewish temple.
(b) At a religious commune.
(c) At a Byzantine chapel.
(d) At a monastery.
11. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
(b) Young man.
(c) Old man.
12. Where does Aschenbach live?
(a) New York.
13. Aschenbach's work ethic could be called _________.
14. What characterized Aschenbach in his youth?
(a) All of these.
15. On his walk, what does Aschenbach pass?
(a) A garden.
(b) A statue.
(c) A homeless man.
(d) A stoneyard with gravestones for sale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aschenbach look at the world differently?
2. What does Aschenbach chronically suffer from?
3. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
4. What province is Aschenbach from?
5. How aware is Aschenbach of his own mortality?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)