Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charley respond to Happy's claim that they (the brothers) would have helped Willy?
2. In his outburst, what does Biff call Willy?
3. What caution does Ben offer?
4. What is the reason Biff gives Willy for Birnbaum's dislike of him?
5. To what "cowardly thing" does Ben refer?
Essay Topic 1
"The commercial world inhabited by Willy Loman is very different from that which operates in the twenty-first century. Willy's tragedy would be impossible today." Referring to the text and to your knowledge of today's world, either agree with or refute this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Comment on the staging of the "internal scenes" in Death of a Salesman. How effective do you think these are? How important are they in the creation of drama? Are they necessary to understanding the characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Like tragic heroes, Willy Loman's fatal flaw is pride, but he is not a tragic hero." Do you agree? Explain your answer. If Willy is in fact a tragic hero, what makes him heroic? If he is not, explain why he is a protagonist at best, and should not be looked up to as a hero.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)