|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charley respond to Happy's claim that they (the brothers) would have helped Willy?
2. In his outburst, what does Biff call Willy?
3. What caution does Ben offer?
4. What is the reason Biff gives Willy for Birnbaum's dislike of him?
5. To what "cowardly thing" does Ben refer?
Essay Topic 1
"Like tragic heroes, Willy Loman's fatal flaw is pride, but he is not a tragic hero." Do you agree? Explain your answer. If Willy is in fact a tragic hero, what makes him heroic? If he is not, explain why he is a protagonist at best, and should not be looked up to as a hero.
Essay Topic 2
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
Essay Topic 3
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)