|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ben refers to ____________ when he says: 'It's dark there, but full of diamonds."
2. How do we know the scene takes place at the close of the day?
3. Who is Letta?
4. What musical instrument can be heard as the scene changes?
5. How does Willy explain the Woman's presence to Biff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
2. What is the significance of Happy's gift of flowers?
3. What cautions does Ben advise concerning Willy's plan to commit suicide?
4. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
5. In what way is Willy's life echoed in Biff's account of his attempt to see Bill Oliver?
6. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
7. Why did Willy never find true happiness?
8. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
9. What insight does Biff experience in the few moments he does get to see Bill Oliver?
10. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Essay Topic 2
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
Essay Topic 3
"Willy Loman's tragedy is that he is the outsider who yearns to be an insider." Account for Willy's ultimate lack of success as a salesman.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)