|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charley's response when Linda asks him to go on ahead?
2. What does Happy want to show everyone?
3. To whom is Willy referring when he says, "He thinks I'm nothing?"
4. What does Charley say causes an earthquake?
5. What was the problem with Willy's dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
2. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
3. In what way, according to Willy, does a man have to "add up to something" when he leaves this world?
4. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
5. What is the significance of Happy's gift of flowers?
6. Did Willy Loman die in vain?
7. Why did Willy never find true happiness?
8. Is Charley's summation of Willy and his life as a salesman an accurate one?
9. How is the fact of Willy's severe disintegration communicated to the audience?
10. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on the staging of the "internal scenes" in Death of a Salesman. How effective do you think these are? How important are they in the creation of drama? Are they necessary to understanding the characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"The ancient Greeks had a motto that said, 'Know yourself.' Death of a Salesman is a play about people who never understand themselves." To what extent do you agree with this statement? In your answer, refer both to major and minor characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
"It comes with the territory" has passed into the language. What does this phrase mean and why is it so crucial to our understanding of Death of a Salesman?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)