|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Linda's response to the flowers?
2. How was Biff formerly employed at Bill Oliver's company?
3. To what "cowardly thing" does Ben refer?
4. How has Biff passed Math in the past?
5. What privilege does the Woman promise Willy?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
2. How is the fact of Willy's severe disintegration communicated to the audience?
3. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
4. Did Willy Loman die in vain?
5. Is Death of a Salesman an uncompromising indictment of "The American Dream"?
6. What is wrong with Happy's assertion that "the only dream you can have [is] to come out number one man."?
7. Is Charley's summation of Willy and his life as a salesman an accurate one?
8. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
9. How is it again made evident that Willy Loman "had the wrong dreams"?
10. Is Biff correct in saying of Willy that "He never knew who he was."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)