|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stanley suggest Willy buy seeds?
2. What valuable observation does Biff make about his father's legacy?
3. What privilege does the Woman promise Willy?
4. From where did Biff leave to travel to Boston to find his father?
5. What does Biff say about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Biff correct in saying of Willy that "He never knew who he was."?
2. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
3. How is it again made evident that Willy Loman "had the wrong dreams"?
4. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
5. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
6. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
7. In what way is Willy's life echoed in Biff's account of his attempt to see Bill Oliver?
8. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
9. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
10. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and comment upon Miller's use of symbolism (aural, visual and in spoken language) in Death of a Salesman. How does this symbolism emphasize the main ideas in the play? Describe at least three major pieces of symbolism and go into detail as to their meanings and purposes in the play to convey ideas.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)