|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biff again offer to Happy?
2. Where does Stanley suggest Willy buy seeds?
3. Which character is excited about jury duty?
4. How much money is involved?
5. How does Biff respond to Linda's accusations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Charley's summation of Willy and his life as a salesman an accurate one?
2. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
3. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
4. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
5. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
6. Is Biff correct in saying of Willy that "He never knew who he was."?
7. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
8. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
9. How is the fact of Willy's severe disintegration communicated to the audience?
10. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman shows us, in a moving way, how disastrous it is if people lack the ability or to accept change in themselves and in the social and economic world." Discuss this statement, making close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
"Death of a Salesman shows us that there is no hope for the 'low man.'"Do you agree? Refer closely to the play. What does this play say about the American Dream?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)