|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Happy's intent for the future?
2. What makes Willy feel broken and desperate?
3. What is the guaranteed proposition Willy refers to as he "speaks" to Ben?
4. How does Happy explain Biff's behavior in leaving the restaurant?
5. How does Charley suggest to Linda that she might leave the graveside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
2. What is wrong with Happy's assertion that "the only dream you can have [is] to come out number one man."?
3. Did Willy Loman die in vain?
4. What insight does Biff experience in the few moments he does get to see Bill Oliver?
5. Account for Linda's bewilderment at Willy's suicide.
6. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
7. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
8. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
9. Why does Linda want to prevent the boys speaking to their father?
10. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"It comes with the territory" has passed into the language. What does this phrase mean and why is it so crucial to our understanding of Death of a Salesman?
Essay Topic 3
"The ancient Greeks had a motto that said, 'Know yourself.' Death of a Salesman is a play about people who never understand themselves." To what extent do you agree with this statement? In your answer, refer both to major and minor characters in the play.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)