|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charley's response when Linda asks him to go on ahead?
2. Where does Stanley suggest Willy buy seeds?
3. Which character "never knew who he was?"
4. What was the problem with Willy's dreams?
5. How does Willy explain the Woman's presence to Biff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
2. Account for Linda's bewilderment at Willy's suicide.
3. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
4. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
5. What is Willy's final fantasy?
6. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
7. How is it again made evident that Willy Loman "had the wrong dreams"?
8. Is Death of a Salesman an uncompromising indictment of "The American Dream"?
9. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
10. What is wrong with Happy's assertion that "the only dream you can have [is] to come out number one man."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
Essay Topic 3
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)