|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy imagine his funeral will reveal about him?
2. Why is Linda so furious with her sons?
3. Who does Happy dismiss as "just a guy?"
4. How is the presence of the Woman given away?
5. What does Linda ask Willy to forgive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
2. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
3. What is wrong with Happy's assertion that "the only dream you can have [is] to come out number one man."?
4. What is Willy's final fantasy?
5. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
6. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
7. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
8. What cautions does Ben advise concerning Willy's plan to commit suicide?
9. Is Charley's summation of Willy and his life as a salesman an accurate one?
10. Why does Linda want to prevent the boys speaking to their father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman shows us, in a moving way, how disastrous it is if people lack the ability or to accept change in themselves and in the social and economic world." Discuss this statement, making close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)