|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Linda bewildered about Willy's suicide?
2. Who is Letta?
3. What circumstances have led to Biff's leaving in the past?
4. What does Linda try to prevent Biff from doing?
5. What University had Biff aspired to attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it again made evident that Willy Loman "had the wrong dreams"?
2. What is Willy's final fantasy?
3. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
4. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
5. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
6. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
7. Did Willy Loman die in vain?
8. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
9. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
10. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
Essay Topic 2
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
Essay Topic 3
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)