|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Biff gives Willy for Birnbaum's dislike of him?
2. What does Linda order her sons to do?
3. What does Linda think is best?
4. Which is the first of several lies Happy tells Miss Forsythe?
5. To whose comment about Willy does Happy object?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willy's final fantasy?
2. What cautions does Ben advise concerning Willy's plan to commit suicide?
3. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
4. How is the fact of Willy's severe disintegration communicated to the audience?
5. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
6. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
7. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
8. In what way, according to Willy, does a man have to "add up to something" when he leaves this world?
9. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
10. Why does Linda want to prevent the boys speaking to their father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
Essay Topic 3
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)