|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Biff gives Willy for Birnbaum's dislike of him?
2. What does Willy find joy in recalling?
3. What distance does Willy measure between the rows?
4. Which character is excited about jury duty?
5. Which is the first of several lies Happy tells Miss Forsythe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
2. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
3. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
4. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
5. Why did Willy never find true happiness?
6. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
7. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
8. In what way is Willy's life echoed in Biff's account of his attempt to see Bill Oliver?
9. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
10. Did Willy Loman die in vain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Linda: 'It sounds so old-fashioned and silly, but I tell you he put his whole life into you and you've turned your backs on him.'"
Account for Biff's and Happy's treatment of their father, making close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Essay Topic 3
"It comes with the territory" has passed into the language. What does this phrase mean and why is it so crucial to our understanding of Death of a Salesman?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)