|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Linda, what extra expense had Willy also paid?
2. Where does the Woman retreat to in the Boston hotel?
3. What size stockings does the woman demand?
4. What is Charley's response when Linda asks him to go on ahead?
5. How many home improvements does Linda mention Willy has undertaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Biff correct in saying of Willy that "He never knew who he was."?
2. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
3. What is Willy's final fantasy?
4. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
5. Why does Linda want to prevent the boys speaking to their father?
6. What is the significance of Happy's gift of flowers?
7. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
8. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
9. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
10. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Willy Loman's tragedy is that he is the outsider who yearns to be an insider." Account for Willy's ultimate lack of success as a salesman.
Essay Topic 3
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)