|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the core of Linda's appeal to her sons?
2. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
3. What is wrong with Biff whistling in the elevator?
4. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
5. How does Willy pay for Biff's radio correspondence course?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
2. How does Biff respond to Happy's question about his plans for the future?
3. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
4. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
5. What is the significance of the way the Loman house is presented when the play begins?
6. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
7. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
8. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
9. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
10. In what picturesque way does Linda reinforce for Biff that his father needs support and nurturing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
Essay Topic 2
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
Essay Topic 3
"Death of a Salesman shows us that there is no hope for the 'low man.'"Do you agree? Refer closely to the play. What does this play say about the American Dream?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)