|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy's plan for cutting off the tree branch show us about him?
2. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
3. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
4. Who does Linda refer to as "a philandering bum?"
5. What make of car does Willy currently drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
2. What is Willy's mood when he leaves for his interview with Howard Wagner?
3. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
4. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
5. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
6. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
7. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
8. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
9. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
10. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Willy Loman's life is a complete waste, as is his death." Explain and discuss the significance of this comment, referring closely to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Linda: 'It sounds so old-fashioned and silly, but I tell you he put his whole life into you and you've turned your backs on him.'"
Account for Biff's and Happy's treatment of their father, making close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
"The ancient Greeks had a motto that said, 'Know yourself.' Death of a Salesman is a play about people who never understand themselves." To what extent do you agree with this statement? In your answer, refer both to major and minor characters in the play.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)