|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
2. What does Willy say about Biff's knowledge of sporting goods?
3. Why does Biff plan to visit Bill Oliver?
4. Why does Willy call Charley "disgusting?"
5. What excuse does Charley give Willy for his visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
2. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
3. In what picturesque way does Linda reinforce for Biff that his father needs support and nurturing?
4. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
5. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
6. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
7. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
8. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
9. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
10. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Linda's character fulfill in the drama of Death of a Salesman? Is she the strongest character in the play? Back up your answer with at least three examples from the play, and explain why they are relevant.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and comment upon Miller's use of symbolism (aural, visual and in spoken language) in Death of a Salesman. How does this symbolism emphasize the main ideas in the play? Describe at least three major pieces of symbolism and go into detail as to their meanings and purposes in the play to convey ideas.
Essay Topic 3
"As a salesman, Willy Loman was like a low-ranking priest in the religion of commerce, with all its fake values and promises." Discuss with close reference to Death of a Salesman.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)