|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willy pay for Biff's radio correspondence course?
2. What, in Willy's behavior, embarrasses Happy?
3. When was J.P. Morgan very well liked, according to Charley?
4. What does Willy admit to Charley?
5. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
2. What does Biff suggest he and Happy do to change their lives?
3. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
4. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
5. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
6. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
7. What is Willy's mood when he leaves for his interview with Howard Wagner?
8. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
9. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
10. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"It comes with the territory" has passed into the language. What does this phrase mean and why is it so crucial to our understanding of Death of a Salesman?
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman shows us, in a moving way, how disastrous it is if people lack the ability or to accept change in themselves and in the social and economic world." Discuss this statement, making close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)