|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Biff believe the Lomans are unsuccessful?
2. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
3. When Linda says "You notice?", what is she referring to?
4. What is it that Linda almost forgets to tell Willy?
5. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
2. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
3. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
4. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
5. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
6. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
7. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
8. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
9. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
10. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of irony in Death of a Salesman. Are the characters aware of the ironies in the story? How does it affect their behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
Essay Topic 3
"Death of a Salesman shows us that there is no hope for the 'low man.'"Do you agree? Refer closely to the play. What does this play say about the American Dream?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)