|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Charley give Willy for his visit?
2. What great misconception does Willy express to Ben?
3. For how long was Linda unable to contact Biff?
4. At what point did Biff's attitude change, according to Bernard?
5. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Willy's "Dave Singleman" speech.
2. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
3. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
4. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
5. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
6. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
7. What does Biff suggest he and Happy do to change their lives?
8. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
9. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
10. What is the significance of the way the Loman house is presented when the play begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Comment on the staging of the "internal scenes" in Death of a Salesman. How effective do you think these are? How important are they in the creation of drama? Are they necessary to understanding the characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Linda: 'It sounds so old-fashioned and silly, but I tell you he put his whole life into you and you've turned your backs on him.'"
Account for Biff's and Happy's treatment of their father, making close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)