|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the big match to be held?
2. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
3. All the old buyers who loved Willy are ___________.
4. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
5. What does Willy find ironic about people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
2. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
3. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
4. What is Willy's mood when he leaves for his interview with Howard Wagner?
5. Why has Willy unexpectedly returned from his journey?
6. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
7. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
8. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
9. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
10. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of irony in Death of a Salesman. Are the characters aware of the ironies in the story? How does it affect their behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
"Like tragic heroes, Willy Loman's fatal flaw is pride, but he is not a tragic hero." Do you agree? Explain your answer. If Willy is in fact a tragic hero, what makes him heroic? If he is not, explain why he is a protagonist at best, and should not be looked up to as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
"BIFF: 'He had the wrong dreams. All, all wrong.'"
"CHARLEY: 'Nobody dost blame this man.'"
Do you agree with Charley? If Willy cannot be blamed for his tragedy, where does the blame (if any) lie?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)