Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
2. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
3. What derogatory comment does Biff make about Willy?
4. Who is Willy's employer?
5. What is the core of Linda's appeal to her sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
2. What cautions does Ben advise concerning Willy's plan to commit suicide?
3. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
4. In what sense is Willy ironic when he comments that it is obscene for Biff not to have found himself by the age of thirty-four?
5. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
6. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
7. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
8. What is the significance of the way the Loman house is presented when the play begins?
9. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
10. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman shows us that there is no hope for the 'low man.'"Do you agree? Refer closely to the play. What does this play say about the American Dream?
Essay Topic 3
"The ancient Greeks had a motto that said, 'Know yourself.' Death of a Salesman is a play about people who never understand themselves." To what extent do you agree with this statement? In your answer, refer both to major and minor characters in the play.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)