|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
2. How does Willy obtain the materials for the stoop he adds to his house?
3. What does Charley kid Willy about?
4. How much does Linda have to pay for repair of the hot water system?
5. What great misconception does Willy express to Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
2. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
3. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
4. What is the effect of Willy's words, "The gist of it is that I haven't got a story left in my head."?
5. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
6. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
7. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
8. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
9. What is Willy's final fantasy?
10. How is it that Biff has come to regard his father as a hypocrite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"BIFF: 'He had the wrong dreams. All, all wrong.'"
"CHARLEY: 'Nobody dost blame this man.'"
Do you agree with Charley? If Willy cannot be blamed for his tragedy, where does the blame (if any) lie?
Essay Topic 3
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
This section contains 1,838 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)