|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howard say about his new wire recorder?
2. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
3. What does Biff say would make him happy?
4. For how long was Linda unable to contact Biff?
5. Who does Linda refer to as "a philandering bum?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
2. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
3. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
4. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
5. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
6. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
7. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
8. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
9. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
10. What is the significance of the way the Loman house is presented when the play begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
Essay Topic 2
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
Essay Topic 3
"It comes with the territory" has passed into the language. What does this phrase mean and why is it so crucial to our understanding of Death of a Salesman?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)