|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
2. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
3. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
4. According to Willy, what has left him unsettled and "temporary?"
5. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
2. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
3. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
4. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
5. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
6. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
7. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
8. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
9. Why has Willy unexpectedly returned from his journey?
10. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman is a savage indictment of commercial values." Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Linda: 'It sounds so old-fashioned and silly, but I tell you he put his whole life into you and you've turned your backs on him.'"
Account for Biff's and Happy's treatment of their father, making close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)