|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
2. What great regret does Willy mention to Happy?
3. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
4. What is wrong with Biff whistling in the elevator?
5. Why does Willy call Charley "disgusting?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willy unexpectedly returned from his journey?
2. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
3. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
4. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
5. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
6. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
7. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
8. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
9. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
10. In what sense is Willy ironic when he comments that it is obscene for Biff not to have found himself by the age of thirty-four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Death of a Salesman offers a pessimistic view of the citizen's place in the social world.'" Do you agree? Regardless of how you answer regarding Willy, what of his sons? Describe the likely futures of Biff and Happy.
Essay Topic 2
"Willy Loman's problem is not that he had the wrong dream, but that the dream was not large enough." To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature and importance of friendship, making close reference to relationships in Death of a Salesman. Make sure to analyze the relationships between Willy and his sons, the sons and each other, and Willy and Linda.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)