|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biff say would make him happy?
2. Making an inference from Linda's words, what do you think is Angelo's occupation?
3. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
4. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
5. What does Willy find ironic about people?
Short Essay Questions
1. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
2. How does Biff respond to Happy's question about his plans for the future?
3. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
4. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
5. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
6. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
7. What does Biff suggest he and Happy do to change their lives?
8. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
9. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
10. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on the staging of the "internal scenes" in Death of a Salesman. How effective do you think these are? How important are they in the creation of drama? Are they necessary to understanding the characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Linda: 'It sounds so old-fashioned and silly, but I tell you he put his whole life into you and you've turned your backs on him.'"
Account for Biff's and Happy's treatment of their father, making close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is Willy Loman's philosophy of life? In what ways is this significant in his relationships and his fate?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)