|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charley say causes an earthquake?
(a) When people start to not smile back.
(b) Someone having an affair.
(c) The San Andreas Fault
(d) A young man flunking Math.
2. How is the presence of the Woman given away?
(a) She flushes the lavatory.
(b) Biff sees her silk stockings on the bed.
(c) She laughs at Biff mimicking his Math teacher.
(d) She drops a mirror in the bathroom.
3. What is it that "comes with the territory?"
(a) Mileage allowance
(b) A shoeshine
4. According to Charley, when was Willy a happy man?
(a) When he was on the road, traveling "with a smile and a shoeshine."
(b) When he was working "with his customers."
(c) When he was at home, eating American cheese.
(d) When he was working "with a batch of cement."
5. How has Biff passed Math in the past?
(a) Through studying hard
(b) Through practicing with Bernard
(c) Through cheating, Bernard giving him the answers.
(d) By having his work re-marked
Short Answer Questions
1. What University had Biff aspired to attend?
2. What is the appearance of Bill Oliver's fountain pen?
3. What is the name of the hotel where Willy is staying in Boston?
4. What implement is Willy using?
5. What is Willy doing in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
2. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
3. Is Biff correct in saying of Willy that "He never knew who he was."?
4. What cautions does Ben advise concerning Willy's plan to commit suicide?
5. What is the significance of Happy's gift of flowers?
6. Is Death of a Salesman an uncompromising indictment of "The American Dream"?
7. What insight does Biff experience in the few moments he does get to see Bill Oliver?
8. How does Happy think Biff should handle telling Willy the bad news when he arrives at the restaurant?
9. In what way is Willy's life echoed in Biff's account of his attempt to see Bill Oliver?
10. Why did Willy never find true happiness?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)