|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what object does Biff confront Willy?
(a) The rubber tube from the vicinity of the heater
(b) Bill Oliver's fountain pen
(c) A gardening boot
(d) The stockings left by the Woman in Boston
2. Biff wants Willy to ____________.
(a) come with him to see Bill Oliver
(b) make a new will
(c) come inside and talk to Linda
(d) come inside and have supper
3. How do we know the scene takes place at the close of the day?
(a) The moon can be seen coming up.
(b) The stage directions indicate this.
(c) Linda says: "Oh, it's getting dark."
(d) Charley says: 'It's getting Dark, Linda."
4. What does Biff notice when he is in Bill Oliver's office?
(a) That there is a mahogany desk with a fountain pen lying on the blotter.
(b) That it has paneled walls.
(c) That there are fine pictures, a dado rail and Huon pine paneling.
(d) That there is a wire recorder on the desk.
5. What does Willy imagine his funeral will reveal about him?
(a) That he died the death of a salesman.
(b) His popularity and the affection and respect in which he is held.
(c) That people appreciated his jokes and humor.
(d) That his life had been successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What uncomfortable truth does Biff expose?
2. How does Biff convey his strong reluctance to see Bill Oliver?
3. How was Biff formerly employed at Bill Oliver's company?
4. Biff speaking to whom when he says "'I know who I am, kid."
5. Who mentions that the cemetery gates will soon be closing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way, according to Willy, does a man have to "add up to something" when he leaves this world?
2. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
3. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
4. Is Charley's summation of Willy and his life as a salesman an accurate one?
5. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
6. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
7. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
8. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
9. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
10. What insight does Biff experience in the few moments he does get to see Bill Oliver?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)