|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do we know the scene takes place at the close of the day?
(a) Linda says: "Oh, it's getting dark."
(b) Charley says: 'It's getting Dark, Linda."
(c) The stage directions indicate this.
(d) The moon can be seen coming up.
2. What is the reason Biff gives Willy for Birnbaum's dislike of him?
(a) Binbaum caught Biff mimicking him in front of the other students.
(b) Birnbaum was jealous because Biff was actually better at calculus than was his teacher.
(c) Birnbaum is jealous of Biff's looks.
(d) Birnbaum caught Biff kissing his daughter behind the bicycle sheds.
3. What uncomfortable truth does Biff expose?
(a) That no one in the house tells the truth.
(b) That Happy is gay.
(c) That Willy has been fired.
(d) That Willy is having an affair.
4. Why does Stanley tell off the other waiter?
(a) For laughing at Willy
(b) For staring at Willy
(c) For not clearing the table
(d) For stealing tips
5. What does Biff say about himself?
(a) That he is a man of the earth.
(b) That he is a great footballer.
(c) That he is the scum of the earth.
(d) That he is a liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy find joy in recalling?
2. What sound can be heard behind Linda's last speech?
3. What musical instrument can be heard as the scene changes?
4. What is Happy's intent for the future?
5. What does Happy want to show everyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Willy never find true happiness?
2. Has Willy any idea of what it is that has caused his estrangement from Biff?
3. What insight does Biff experience in the few moments he does get to see Bill Oliver?
4. Why does Linda want to prevent the boys speaking to their father?
5. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
6. Account for Willy's anger towards Biff.
7. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
8. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
9. In what way is Happy's betrayal of his father ironic?
10. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)