|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does Biff believe the Lomans are unsuccessful?
(a) They do not have a clear mission statement.
(b) They are not competitive enough.
(c) They do not belong in the city and should be working with their hands.
(d) They are not loyal and committed.
2. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
(a) A partially unpacked suitcase is on Biff's bed.
(b) Linda mentions that Biff has "just got off [a] train."
(c) Biff's suitcase is in the hall.
(d) Linda tells Willy she met the train.
3. Where does Willy get the money he says is his pay?
(a) From Uncle Ben
(b) From Charley
(c) From Bill Oliver
(d) From Howard Wagner
4. What does Willy say about Biff's knowledge of sporting goods?
(a) That he has tried every brand, but Spalding is best.
(b) That he knows a good deal about the way basketballs are packed in cartons.
(c) That he knows sporting goods better than Adidas.
(d) That he knows sporting goods better than Spalding.
5. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
(a) Willy is uncomfortable around people who know he is a fake.
(b) Biff has not paid enough board to his parents.
(c) Willy finds out Biff had been gambling.
(d) Willy does not like Biff bringing girls home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Biff attend the university?
2. What is it that Linda almost forgets to tell Willy?
3. How does Willy refer to Howard?
4. What is Willy Loman carrying as he enters the stage?
5. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
2. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
3. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
4. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
5. Comment on Willy's "Dave Singleman" speech.
6. What is Willy's mood when he leaves for his interview with Howard Wagner?
7. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
8. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
9. Why has Willy unexpectedly returned from his journey?
10. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)