|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy feel is a disgrace?
(a) Living on a farm
(b) Not being married by the age of thirty-four
(c) Making less than thirty-five dollars per week
(d) Not finding yourself by the age of thirty-four
2. Who is Willy's employer?
(a) Wolf Biederman
(b) Brown and Morrison
(c) Howard Macy
(d) Howard Wagner
3. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
(a) A supervisory job in Boston
(b) A job where he will not have to go out on the road
(c) Fifty dollars per week for life
(d) To intercede with Howard to give Willy his job back
4. How much does Linda have to pay for repair of the hot water system?
(a) Fifty-six dollars
(b) Ninety-six dollars
(c) Fifty dollars
(d) A hundred dollars
5. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
(a) For preventing Willy from growing carrots in his backyard
(b) For harassment and fraud
(c) For building the bad-taste apartments
(d) For cutting down two beautiful elm trees
Short Answer Questions
1. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
2. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
3. For what reason does Biff believe the Lomans are unsuccessful?
4. What advice does Willy remember Ben giving him?
5. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
2. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
3. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
4. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
5. What is Willy's final fantasy?
6. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
7. Why does Charlie reply with just a grunt to Happy's angry attitude to his father's suicide and claim that "We would've helped him."?
8. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
9. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
10. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)