|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willy refer to Howard?
(a) That little toad
(b) That booby
(c) That asshole
(d) That snotnose
2. What is Happy's reaction to the news that his father has been attempting suicide?
(a) He is angry with Linda for not telling them sooner.
(b) He says Willy is a "poor fool."
(c) He says this is terrible and he must do something.
(d) He says Willy is a "damned fool."
3. How long has it taken the Lomans to pay off their house?
(a) Thirty years
(b) Thirty-five years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Twenty-five years
4. Who is Bill Oliver?
(a) Happy's merchandise manager
(b) Willy's best friend
(c) Biff's previous employer
(d) Biff's previous employee
5. What is wrong with Biff whistling in the elevator?
(a) It annoys other people in the lift.
(b) It is tuneless.
(c) It indicates he is irresponsible and childish.
(d) It indicates he is over confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Willy give for refusing Charley's offer?
2. What difference would it have made to his life if Willy had formed his own business?
3. What does Biff say would make him happy?
4. Why does Willy call Charley "disgusting?"
5. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
2. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
3. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
4. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
5. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
6. In what sense is Willy ironic when he comments that it is obscene for Biff not to have found himself by the age of thirty-four?
7. What is revealed about teenage Biff's popularity with girls?
8. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
9. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
10. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)