|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
(a) For building the bad-taste apartments
(b) For cutting down two beautiful elm trees
(c) For preventing Willy from growing carrots in his backyard
(d) For harassment and fraud
2. What difference would it have made to his life if Willy had formed his own business?
(a) He would have been able to work from home.
(b) He would have been able to travel in luxury.
(c) He would have built a house on Long Island.
(d) He would not have to leave home any more.
3. What sort of cheese does Willy prefer?
4. What is the core of Linda's appeal to her sons?
(a) That their father is in despair and needs their attention.
(b) That they must get medical attention for their father's depression.
(c) That their father needs money to alleviate his despair.
(d) Not to let Willy know that she has skipped several mortgage payments.
5. How did Ben and Willy's father support his family financially as they traveled?
(a) By working in bars
(b) By selling agricultural machinery he had invented
(c) By giving flute concerts in every town they visited
(d) By selling the flutes he had made
Short Answer Questions
1. What derogatory comment does Biff make about Willy?
2. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
3. When Linda says "You notice?", what is she referring to?
4. What does Willy's plan for cutting off the tree branch show us about him?
5. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Biff feel about lying to his father about the Bill Oliver interview?
2. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
3. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
4. Is Death of a Salesman an uncompromising indictment of "The American Dream"?
5. According to Biff, what is at the core of Willy's (and his own) problems?
6. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
7. In what way does the commercial world intrude into the wire recorder demonstration?
8. In what way, according to Willy, does a man have to "add up to something" when he leaves this world?
9. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
10. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)