|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Happy's reaction to the news that his father has been attempting suicide?
(a) He says Willy is a "damned fool."
(b) He says this is terrible and he must do something.
(c) He says Willy is a "poor fool."
(d) He is angry with Linda for not telling them sooner.
2. For how long was Linda unable to contact Biff?
(a) For over six months
(b) For over a year
(c) For over three months
(d) She has always been able to contact Biff.
3. What sort of cheese does Willy prefer?
4. Why does Biff plan to visit Bill Oliver?
(a) To ask him for a job
(b) To give him a job
(c) To pay back some money lent in the past
(d) To ask him for money
5. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
(a) Biff has failed Math.
(b) He has heard that someone else has won the sports scholarship.
(c) He has heard that Mr Birnbaum is leaving the school.
(d) He has heard Mr Birnbaum threatening to flunk Biff in Math.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Charley accuse Willy?
2. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
3. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
4. How does Willy pay for Biff's radio correspondence course?
5. What does Willy find ironic about people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
2. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
3. In what picturesque way does Linda reinforce for Biff that his father needs support and nurturing?
4. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
5. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
6. In what sense is Willy ironic when he comments that it is obscene for Biff not to have found himself by the age of thirty-four?
7. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
8. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
9. What does the audience learn about Linda from her great confrontation with her sons in Act 1?
10. What is the significance of the way the Loman house is presented when the play begins?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)