|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy feel is a disgrace?
(a) Living on a farm
(b) Not finding yourself by the age of thirty-four
(c) Not being married by the age of thirty-four
(d) Making less than thirty-five dollars per week
2. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
(a) He keeps his high sales figures until well into his nineties.
(b) He travels in the smoking car and has green velvet slippers.
(c) Even at the age of eighty-four, he is a successful salesman.
(d) He brokers a sponsorship deal with the Yankees.
3. How did Ben make his fortune?
(a) In Alaskan exploration
(b) In the fur trade
(c) In diamond mines
(d) In oil
4. What statement of Ben's summarizes his business ethics?
(a) Always fight fair with a stranger.
(b) Do business on a handshake and fight fair.
(c) Never fight fair with a stranger.
(d) Treat business like a jungle and watch out for the monkeys.
5. Who does Linda refer to as "a philandering bum?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Making an inference from Linda's words, what do you think is Angelo's occupation?
2. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
3. For how long has Willy been a salesman for Howard's firm?
4. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
5. What does Biff need to do in order to avoid flunking Math?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it again made evident that Willy Loman "had the wrong dreams"?
2. Which personal qualities does Happy reveal when Miss Forsythe enters the restaurant and he talks to her?
3. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
4. Explain Happy's refusal to go with Biff and make a life for themselves in the country.
5. How do the Lomans react to Bernard's news that Biff must study for his coming exams?
6. In what way is Willy's life echoed in Biff's account of his attempt to see Bill Oliver?
7. What does this conversation with Biff reveal about Happy's character?
8. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
9. What is Willy's reaction to Biff's attempt to tell the day's events truthfully?
10. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)