|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
(a) Convince Howard that he needs a pay rise.
(b) Ask Howard for a job as a branch manager since he has been with the company for so long.
(c) See Howard and convince him to allow Willy to be taken off road work to stay in New York.
(d) Get a haircut and buy a new suit in readiness for his dinner with the boys.
2. How does Willy pay for Biff's radio correspondence course?
(a) He skips some mortgage payments.
(b) He pawns a diamond watch that is a gift from Ben.
(c) He works harder and travels further.
(d) He sells lumber stolen from a building site.
3. Why does Willy become annoyed with Linda?
(a) He does not like the brand of cheese she buys..
(b) He does not like to see her mending her stockings.
(c) She has not finished the washing-up.
(d) He does not like her asking so many questions of him.
4. What great misconception does Willy express to Ben?
(a) That people will always keep their word.
(b) That a man can end up rich just by being liked.
(c) That all anyone needs is a case of samples.
(d) That all you need to offer is loyalty and the rest will follow.
5. What surrounds the Salesman's house?
(a) Office buildings
(b) Tall apartment buildings
(d) A wide stoop
Short Answer Questions
1. What jobs has Biff mostly had since leaving school?
2. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
3. What ultimatum does Linda serve to her sons?
4. Where was Ben living when he died?
5. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
2. What is the significance of Happy's gift of flowers?
3. What is one function of the figure of Ben in his last manifestation inside Willy's head?
4. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
5. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
6. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
7. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
8. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
9. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
10. What information about his meeting with Bill Oliver does Biff supply to Willy?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)