|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Willy get the money he says is his pay?
(a) From Charley
(b) From Bill Oliver
(c) From Howard Wagner
(d) From Uncle Ben
2. According to Linda, in what way does Willy compare with many other people?
(a) He is fatter.
(b) He works harder.
(c) He has more good in him.
(d) He earns less money.
3. What sound is heard before the curtain rises?
(a) Fiddle music reminiscent of the countryside
(b) Bagpipes playing a highland lament
(c) Stage hands moving sets about
(d) A melody played on a flute.
4. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
(a) He has called in to ask his father for a loan.
(b) He is stopping by to pick up his tennis rackets.
(c) He is stopping by on his way to Boston.
(d) He is stopping by on his way to Washington.
5. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
(a) He has heard that someone else has won the sports scholarship.
(b) Biff has failed Math.
(c) He has heard Mr Birnbaum threatening to flunk Biff in Math.
(d) He has heard that Mr Birnbaum is leaving the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor about Willy does Linda use in her phone conversation with Biff?
2. Of what does Charley accuse Willy?
3. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
4. What is Willy Loman carrying as he enters the stage?
5. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willy unexpectedly returned from his journey?
2. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
3. In the first few minutes of the play, what indications are there that Willy has an affinity with the artistic and creative?
4. What important idea in the play is referenced by Linda's words, 'He could be--anything--in that suit!"?
5. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
6. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
7. What is Willy's mood when he leaves for his interview with Howard Wagner?
8. Explain the significance of Ben's words, "I have many enterprises, William, and I have never kept books."
9. Why does Willy say '"Im always in a race with the junkyard!"?
10. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)