|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Biff plan to visit Bill Oliver?
(a) To pay back some money lent in the past
(b) To give him a job
(c) To ask him for money
(d) To ask him for a job
2. What is the outcome of Willy's visit to Howard?
(a) Willy loses his temper and resigns.
(b) Howard tells Willy he must work in Boston.
(c) Willy is given the desk job that he wants.
(d) Willy is fired.
3. Why does Willy call Charley "disgusting?"
(a) Because he smokes cigarettes.
(b) Because he cannot handle tools.
(c) Because he insultsWilly by offering him a job.
(d) Because he always loses at cards.
4. Of what does Charley accuse Willy?
(a) Being in love with his wife
(b) Being jealous of him all his life
(c) Dominating Linda
(d) Stealing his lumber
5. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
(a) Biff's suitcase is in the hall.
(b) A partially unpacked suitcase is on Biff's bed.
(c) Linda mentions that Biff has "just got off [a] train."
(d) Linda tells Willy she met the train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy find ironic about people?
2. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
3. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
4. Where is the big match to be held?
5. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
2. What is Linda's attitude to Willy's return?
3. In what sense is Willy ironic when he comments that it is obscene for Biff not to have found himself by the age of thirty-four?
4. Comment on Willy's "Dave Singleman" speech.
5. In what way is Linda realistic about life?
6. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
7. In what way is the contrast between Willy's dreams and reality expressed in his conversation with Linda?
8. In the card game scene, what evidence of Willy's unused abilities is presented?
9. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
10. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)