|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willy need to borrow money from Charley?
(a) He has no money to buy Linda a birthday present.
(b) He has a loan shark after him and is terrified.
(c) He cannot afford his insurance premium.
(d) He cannot afford his next car payment.
2. How long has it taken the Lomans to pay off their house?
(a) Thirty years
(b) Thirty-five years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Twenty-five years
3. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(b) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
(c) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(d) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
4. What happens as Willy is driving on the highway?
(a) He allows the car to veer over the white line.
(b) The car breaks down.
(c) A woman yells at him.
(d) He runs off the road.
5. Where does Willy believe his company most needs him?
(a) In Yonkers
(b) In Florida
(c) In New England
(d) In New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
2. All the old buyers who loved Willy are ___________.
3. At what time does Happy give Linda some money?
4. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
5. What does Biff need to do in order to avoid flunking Math?
Short Essay Questions
1. As this scene (inside Willy's head) continues, what false idea does Willy peddle to his sons?
2. Comment on Willy's "Dave Singleman" speech.
3. What is revealed about Willy during his hallucinatory return to the past?
4. What reassuring news does Linda give Biff when he phones her?
5. Comment on the "gay and bright" music that is heard at the beginning of Act 2.
6. What is the importance of Howard Wagner's new wire recorder?
7. What erratic behavior of Willy's indicates that he is disintegrating emotionally?
8. Comment about Willy's assertion that "I never in my life told him anything but decent things."
9. What is it that prevents Willy from accepting the offer of a job from Charley?
10. What is Happy's attitude to the news that his father is contemplating suicide?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)