|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the insurance inspector tell Linda?
(a) That Willy is behind in the premium.
(b) That Willy drives too fast.
(c) That they will not pay out again for a damaged car.
(d) That there is evidence that Willy's car accidents were not accidents.
2. What is Willy Loman carrying as he enters the stage?
(a) Take-out meals
(b) An attache case and a large sample case
(c) A very large sample bag
(d) Two large sample cases
3. At what time does Happy give Linda some money?
(a) Her birthday
(d) Memorial Day
4. ___________ says "And, by God, I was rich."
(a) Willy Loman
(b) Bill Oliver
(c) Ben Loman
5. What advice does Willy remember Ben giving him?
(a) Get out of the cities and buy a ranch.
(b) Get out of the cities and fight for a fortune in Alaska.
(c) Open a diamond mine in Alaska.
(d) Go to Africa and prospect for diamonds.
6. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
(b) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(c) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(d) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
7. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
(a) Willy finds out Biff had been gambling.
(b) Biff has not paid enough board to his parents.
(c) Willy is uncomfortable around people who know he is a fake.
(d) Willy does not like Biff bringing girls home.
8. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
(a) That Biff discovered a secret in Boston.
(b) That Charley is the only friend he has.
(c) That Happy is about to be married.
(d) That he has stolen Howard's fountain pen.
9. How does Willy refer to Howard?
(a) That booby
(b) That snotnose
(c) That little toad
(d) That asshole
10. How does Willy obtain the materials for the stoop he adds to his house?
(a) He has Biff and Happy steal from a building site.
(b) He buys it at Wal-Mmart.
(c) He and Charlie steal the materials from a building site.
(d) He has Ben import the lumber from Alaska.
11. What does Willy say about Biff's knowledge of sporting goods?
(a) That he knows sporting goods better than Spalding.
(b) That he knows a good deal about the way basketballs are packed in cartons.
(c) That he knows sporting goods better than Adidas.
(d) That he has tried every brand, but Spalding is best.
12. What sound is heard before the curtain rises?
(a) Fiddle music reminiscent of the countryside
(b) Bagpipes playing a highland lament
(c) A melody played on a flute.
(d) Stage hands moving sets about
13. What change has Happy noticed in Biff?
(a) Biff has lost his sense of humor and has become bad-tempered.
(b) Biff has put on weight and seems confused.
(c) Biff has lost his old humor and confidence.
(d) Biff has become withdrawn and sad.
14. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
(a) That Biff has stolen a football.
(b) That Biff has Bernard help him cheat at Math.
(c) That Biff is "stuck up."
(d) That Biff is driving a car without a licence.
15. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
(a) They are not made by American companies.
(b) They have design faults.
(c) They wear out or break before he has fully paid for them.
(d) They are too expensive, badly designed and badly made.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda refer to as "a philandering bum?"
2. Why does Willy become annoyed with Linda?
3. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
4. What happens as Willy is driving on the highway?
5. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)