|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Bernard attribute Biff's lack of success after the age of seventeen?
(a) Biff has never been well-liked.
(b) Bernard simply has no idea.
(c) Bernard says people do not trust Biff to commit.
(d) Biff has never trained himself for anything.
2. What sound is heard before the curtain rises?
(a) Stage hands moving sets about
(b) Fiddle music reminiscent of the countryside
(c) Bagpipes playing a highland lament
(d) A melody played on a flute.
3. What is the core of Linda's appeal to her sons?
(a) That they must get medical attention for their father's depression.
(b) That their father is in despair and needs their attention.
(c) That their father needs money to alleviate his despair.
(d) Not to let Willy know that she has skipped several mortgage payments.
4. What does Willy find ironic about people?
(a) They are worth more to undertakers than to mortgagors.
(b) They are worth more dead than alive.
(c) They are good at talking but do nott get paid for it.
(d) They can pick winners but never bet on them.
5. What difference would it have made to his life if Willy had formed his own business?
(a) He would have been able to travel in luxury.
(b) He would not have to leave home any more.
(c) He would have been able to work from home.
(d) He would have built a house on Long Island.
6. What does Willy feel is a disgrace?
(a) Making less than thirty-five dollars per week
(b) Living on a farm
(c) Not finding yourself by the age of thirty-four
(d) Not being married by the age of thirty-four
7. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
(a) A job where he will not have to go out on the road
(b) Fifty dollars per week for life
(c) To intercede with Howard to give Willy his job back
(d) A supervisory job in Boston
8. According to Charley, what is the only thing Willy has in the world?
(a) His freedom
(b) His wife and family
(c) The things he can sell
(d) His house
9. What metaphor about Willy does Linda use in her phone conversation with Biff?
(a) "He's like a boat looking for a harbor."
(b) "He's an old clipper with no skipper."
(c) "He's like an old man rocking the boat."
(d) "He's only a little boat looking for a harbor."
10. How did Ben and Willy's father support his family financially as they traveled?
(a) By selling agricultural machinery he had invented
(b) By giving flute concerts in every town they visited
(c) By selling the flutes he had made
(d) By working in bars
11. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
(a) Convince Howard that he needs a pay rise.
(b) See Howard and convince him to allow Willy to be taken off road work to stay in New York.
(c) Get a haircut and buy a new suit in readiness for his dinner with the boys.
(d) Ask Howard for a job as a branch manager since he has been with the company for so long.
12. According to Willy, what has left him unsettled and "temporary?"
(a) Worrying about the mortgage
(b) Not being happy with Linda
(c) He never had a chance to get close to his father.
(d) The wanderings around the countryside when he was a child
13. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
(a) Someone like his mother
(b) Someone who is a good cook and a good typist
(c) Someone with financial experience
(d) Anyone he can look up to and who will help him get along
14. Why does Willy become annoyed with Linda?
(a) She has not finished the washing-up.
(b) He does not like to see her mending her stockings.
(c) He does not like her asking so many questions of him.
(d) He does not like the brand of cheese she buys..
15. Where does Willy believe his company most needs him?
(a) In New York
(b) In New England
(c) In Florida
(d) In Yonkers
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
2. What is it that Happy says he has always wanted?
3. What does Howard say about his new wire recorder?
4. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
5. What is wrong with Biff whistling in the elevator?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)