|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Charley give Willy for his visit?
(a) He remembers to tell Willy about an important job opportunity.
(b) He wants to play cards.
(c) He hears some noise and thinks something has happened.
(d) He hears some noise so he thinks he would come in for a chat.
2. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
(a) See Howard and convince him to allow Willy to be taken off road work to stay in New York.
(b) Get a haircut and buy a new suit in readiness for his dinner with the boys.
(c) Convince Howard that he needs a pay rise.
(d) Ask Howard for a job as a branch manager since he has been with the company for so long.
3. What jobs has Biff mostly had since leaving school?
(a) Businessman and sales clerk
(b) Shipping clerk and horse-breeder
(c) Shipping clerk and salesman
(d) Salesman and cattle herder
4. What advice does Willy remember Ben giving him?
(a) Go to Africa and prospect for diamonds.
(b) Open a diamond mine in Alaska.
(c) Get out of the cities and fight for a fortune in Alaska.
(d) Get out of the cities and buy a ranch.
5. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
(a) That Biff has Bernard help him cheat at Math.
(b) That Biff is driving a car without a licence.
(c) That Biff is "stuck up."
(d) That Biff has stolen a football.
6. Why does Willy need to borrow money from Charley?
(a) He cannot afford his next car payment.
(b) He has no money to buy Linda a birthday present.
(c) He cannot afford his insurance premium.
(d) He has a loan shark after him and is terrified.
7. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
(a) He is stopping by on his way to Washington.
(b) He is stopping by to pick up his tennis rackets.
(c) He is stopping by on his way to Boston.
(d) He has called in to ask his father for a loan.
8. What is a synonym for 'trepidation'?
9. When Linda says "You notice?", what is she referring to?
(a) That she has dyed her hair
(b) The smell of shaving lotion pervading the house
(c) The aroma of the Irish stew she made for dinner
(d) The new night dress she is wearing
10. All the old buyers who loved Willy are ___________.
(a) in Boston
(b) dead or retired
(c) in New York
(d) retired to Florida
11. Of what does Charley accuse Willy?
(a) Stealing his lumber
(b) Dominating Linda
(c) Being jealous of him all his life
(d) Being in love with his wife
12. Making an inference from Linda's words, what do you think is Angelo's occupation?
(b) Loan shark
(c) Motor mechanic
(d) Car salesman
13. What does Charley kid Willy about?
(a) His weight, calling Willy a 'walrus'.
(b) His staying in the same house all those years.
(c) Biff's obsession with football.
(d) He pretends to have forgotten Biff's big day of football.
14. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
(a) He has heard that Mr Birnbaum is leaving the school.
(b) He has heard that someone else has won the sports scholarship.
(c) Biff has failed Math.
(d) He has heard Mr Birnbaum threatening to flunk Biff in Math.
15. What does Willy find ironic about people?
(a) They are good at talking but do nott get paid for it.
(b) They are worth more to undertakers than to mortgagors.
(c) They are worth more dead than alive.
(d) They can pick winners but never bet on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Biff attend the university?
2. What difference would it have made to his life if Willy had formed his own business?
3. What is the core of Linda's appeal to her sons?
4. What great misconception does Willy express to Ben?
5. How long has it taken the Lomans to pay off their house?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)