|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in Willy's behavior, embarrasses Happy?
(a) Willy has been talking to himself.
(b) Willy has been singing in the lift.
(c) Willy has been mocking Biff.
(d) Willy does not know the way to Florida.
2. What advice does Willy remember Ben giving him?
(a) Get out of the cities and fight for a fortune in Alaska.
(b) Get out of the cities and buy a ranch.
(c) Open a diamond mine in Alaska.
(d) Go to Africa and prospect for diamonds.
3. Who is Willy's employer?
(a) Wolf Biederman
(b) Howard Macy
(c) Brown and Morrison
(d) Howard Wagner
4. What reason does Biff give Linda for Willy throwing him out?
(a) Willy finds out Biff had been gambling.
(b) Willy is uncomfortable around people who know he is a fake.
(c) Willy does not like Biff bringing girls home.
(d) Biff has not paid enough board to his parents.
5. What jobs has Biff mostly had since leaving school?
(a) Businessman and sales clerk
(b) Shipping clerk and salesman
(c) Salesman and cattle herder
(d) Shipping clerk and horse-breeder
6. What does Biff need to do in order to avoid flunking Math?
(a) Apologize to Mr Birnbaum
(b) Finally hand in his Math assignments
(c) Bribe Mr Birnbaum
(d) Become organized and study hard
7. What does Willy find frustrating about the appliances he has bought over the years?
(a) They are not made by American companies.
(b) They have design faults.
(c) They are too expensive, badly designed and badly made.
(d) They wear out or break before he has fully paid for them.
8. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
(b) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(c) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(d) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
9. What is it that Happy says he has always wanted?
(a) To be like his father
(b) To build a house on Long Island near his friend the merchandise manager
(c) To become the merchandise manager and have his own apartment
(d) To have his own apartment, a car and plenty of women
10. What does Charley kid Willy about?
(a) His staying in the same house all those years.
(b) He pretends to have forgotten Biff's big day of football.
(c) Biff's obsession with football.
(d) His weight, calling Willy a 'walrus'.
11. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
(a) A job where he will not have to go out on the road
(b) Fifty dollars per week for life
(c) To intercede with Howard to give Willy his job back
(d) A supervisory job in Boston
12. Why does Biff plan to visit Bill Oliver?
(a) To give him a job
(b) To ask him for money
(c) To pay back some money lent in the past
(d) To ask him for a job
13. According to Willy, what has left him unsettled and "temporary?"
(a) He never had a chance to get close to his father.
(b) The wanderings around the countryside when he was a child
(c) Not being happy with Linda
(d) Worrying about the mortgage
14. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
(a) That Biff is driving a car without a licence.
(b) That Biff has Bernard help him cheat at Math.
(c) That Biff is "stuck up."
(d) That Biff has stolen a football.
15. Of what does Charley accuse Willy?
(a) Being jealous of him all his life
(b) Being in love with his wife
(c) Dominating Linda
(d) Stealing his lumber
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
2. What is Happy's reaction to the news that his father has been attempting suicide?
3. What is it that Linda almost forgets to tell Willy?
4. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
5. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)