|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
(a) Even at the age of eighty-four, he is a successful salesman.
(b) He brokers a sponsorship deal with the Yankees.
(c) He keeps his high sales figures until well into his nineties.
(d) He travels in the smoking car and has green velvet slippers.
2. Who is Willy's employer?
(a) Howard Wagner
(b) Wolf Biederman
(c) Howard Macy
(d) Brown and Morrison
3. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
(a) That Charley is the only friend he has.
(b) That Biff discovered a secret in Boston.
(c) That Happy is about to be married.
(d) That he has stolen Howard's fountain pen.
4. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
(a) He has heard that Mr Birnbaum is leaving the school.
(b) Biff has failed Math.
(c) He has heard that someone else has won the sports scholarship.
(d) He has heard Mr Birnbaum threatening to flunk Biff in Math.
5. What does Charley kid Willy about?
(a) His weight, calling Willy a 'walrus'.
(b) Biff's obsession with football.
(c) His staying in the same house all those years.
(d) He pretends to have forgotten Biff's big day of football.
6. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
(a) A supervisory job in Boston
(b) To intercede with Howard to give Willy his job back
(c) Fifty dollars per week for life
(d) A job where he will not have to go out on the road
7. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(b) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(c) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(d) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
8. What difference would it have made to his life if Willy had formed his own business?
(a) He would have been able to work from home.
(b) He would have been able to travel in luxury.
(c) He would not have to leave home any more.
(d) He would have built a house on Long Island.
9. Who is Bill Oliver?
(a) Biff's previous employer
(b) Happy's merchandise manager
(c) Biff's previous employee
(d) Willy's best friend
10. What does Willy tell Linda about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he loves her.
(b) He says she is wonderful and that he does not deserve her.
(c) He says she is his foundation and support.
(d) He says she is his support and his lover.
11. What does Linda think will happen in Biff's meeting with Bill Oliver?
(a) Biff will return the goods he stole a few years ago.
(b) Biff will ask for ten or fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Biff will ask for thirty thousand dollars.
(d) Biff will ask Bill Oliver for a steady job.
12. ___________ says "And, by God, I was rich."
(a) Bill Oliver
(b) Willy Loman
(d) Ben Loman
13. What does Biff need to do in order to avoid flunking Math?
(a) Bribe Mr Birnbaum
(b) Apologize to Mr Birnbaum
(c) Become organized and study hard
(d) Finally hand in his Math assignments
14. For how long was Linda unable to contact Biff?
(a) For over three months
(b) She has always been able to contact Biff.
(c) For over six months
(d) For over a year
15. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
(a) See Howard and convince him to allow Willy to be taken off road work to stay in New York.
(b) Ask Howard for a job as a branch manager since he has been with the company for so long.
(c) Convince Howard that he needs a pay rise.
(d) Get a haircut and buy a new suit in readiness for his dinner with the boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Linda, in what way does Willy compare with many other people?
2. To what does Bernard attribute Biff's lack of success after the age of seventeen?
3. Where does Willy believe his company most needs him?
4. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
5. Why does Willy need to borrow money from Charley?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)