|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy tell Linda about his feelings for her?
(a) He says she is his foundation and support.
(b) He says he loves her.
(c) He says she is his support and his lover.
(d) He says she is wonderful and that he does not deserve her.
2. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
(b) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(c) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(d) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
3. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
(a) That he would try to find a job for him in town.
(b) That Willy will receive a substantial pay rise.
(c) That he will let Willy head up a new branch in Yonkers.
(d) That he would pay Willy a bonus.
4. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
(a) He has called in to ask his father for a loan.
(b) He is stopping by on his way to Boston.
(c) He is stopping by to pick up his tennis rackets.
(d) He is stopping by on his way to Washington.
5. What metaphor about Willy does Linda use in her phone conversation with Biff?
(a) "He's like a boat looking for a harbor."
(b) "He's like an old man rocking the boat."
(c) "He's only a little boat looking for a harbor."
(d) "He's an old clipper with no skipper."
6. What does Willy intend to do during the day?
(a) See Howard and convince him to allow Willy to be taken off road work to stay in New York.
(b) Ask Howard for a job as a branch manager since he has been with the company for so long.
(c) Get a haircut and buy a new suit in readiness for his dinner with the boys.
(d) Convince Howard that he needs a pay rise.
7. Why does Willy need to borrow money from Charley?
(a) He cannot afford his insurance premium.
(b) He cannot afford his next car payment.
(c) He has no money to buy Linda a birthday present.
(d) He has a loan shark after him and is terrified.
8. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
(a) That Biff is "stuck up."
(b) That Biff is driving a car without a licence.
(c) That Biff has Bernard help him cheat at Math.
(d) That Biff has stolen a football.
9. Why does Willy admire Dave Singleman?
(a) Even at the age of eighty-four, he is a successful salesman.
(b) He travels in the smoking car and has green velvet slippers.
(c) He keeps his high sales figures until well into his nineties.
(d) He brokers a sponsorship deal with the Yankees.
10. Why does Biff plan to visit Bill Oliver?
(a) To pay back some money lent in the past
(b) To ask him for money
(c) To give him a job
(d) To ask him for a job
11. What statement of Ben's summarizes his business ethics?
(a) Always fight fair with a stranger.
(b) Never fight fair with a stranger.
(c) Treat business like a jungle and watch out for the monkeys.
(d) Do business on a handshake and fight fair.
12. What is wrong with Biff whistling in the elevator?
(a) It is tuneless.
(b) It indicates he is irresponsible and childish.
(c) It indicates he is over confident.
(d) It annoys other people in the lift.
13. How much does Linda have to pay for repair of the hot water system?
(a) Fifty dollars
(b) Ninety-six dollars
(c) Fifty-six dollars
(d) A hundred dollars
14. What derogatory comment does Biff make about Willy?
(a) That he has no character.
(b) That he has no talent for earning money.
(c) That he looks like a walrus.
(d) That he looks like a salesman.
15. All the old buyers who loved Willy are ___________.
(a) in New York
(b) retired to Florida
(c) dead or retired
(d) in Boston
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Willy is driving on the highway?
2. What sort of cheese does Willy prefer?
3. Why does Willy become annoyed with Linda?
4. What is it about Willy that the woman says she likes?
5. What surrounds the Salesman's house?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)