|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charley kid Willy about?
(a) He pretends to have forgotten Biff's big day of football.
(b) His staying in the same house all those years.
(c) Biff's obsession with football.
(d) His weight, calling Willy a 'walrus'.
2. At what time does Happy give Linda some money?
(a) Her birthday
(d) Memorial Day
3. How does Willy obtain the materials for the stoop he adds to his house?
(a) He has Biff and Happy steal from a building site.
(b) He has Ben import the lumber from Alaska.
(c) He and Charlie steal the materials from a building site.
(d) He buys it at Wal-Mmart.
4. What is the outcome of Willy's visit to Howard?
(a) Howard tells Willy he must work in Boston.
(b) Willy is given the desk job that he wants.
(c) Willy is fired.
(d) Willy loses his temper and resigns.
5. What does Linda suggest is "not nice?"
(a) That Biff is driving a car without a licence.
(b) That Biff has stolen a football.
(c) That Biff is "stuck up."
(d) That Biff has Bernard help him cheat at Math.
6. For how long has Willy been a salesman for Howard's firm?
(a) Forty years
(b) Thirty-four years
(c) Forty-three years
(d) Thirty years
7. When Linda says "You notice?", what is she referring to?
(a) The smell of shaving lotion pervading the house
(b) That she has dyed her hair
(c) The aroma of the Irish stew she made for dinner
(d) The new night dress she is wearing
8. For what reason does Willy think the builder should have been arrested?
(a) For preventing Willy from growing carrots in his backyard
(b) For cutting down two beautiful elm trees
(c) For harassment and fraud
(d) For building the bad-taste apartments
9. Why is Bernard in Charley's office?
(a) He is stopping by on his way to Washington.
(b) He has called in to ask his father for a loan.
(c) He is stopping by to pick up his tennis rackets.
(d) He is stopping by on his way to Boston.
10. What does Willy's plan for cutting off the tree branch show us about him?
(a) That he has practical common sense and is suited to outdoor work.
(b) That he is not interested in preserving the environment.
(c) That he could have been a tree surgeon.
(d) That he wants to steal lumber.
11. All the old buyers who loved Willy are ___________.
(a) retired to Florida
(b) in New York
(c) dead or retired
(d) in Boston
12. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(b) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
(c) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(d) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
13. What is a synonym for 'trepidation'?
14. What does Linda think will happen in Biff's meeting with Bill Oliver?
(a) Biff will ask Bill Oliver for a steady job.
(b) Biff will ask for ten or fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Biff will return the goods he stole a few years ago.
(d) Biff will ask for thirty thousand dollars.
15. What important admission does Willy make to Charley?
(a) That Biff discovered a secret in Boston.
(b) That he has stolen Howard's fountain pen.
(c) That Happy is about to be married.
(d) That Charley is the only friend he has.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor about Willy does Linda use in her phone conversation with Biff?
2. At the beginning of Act Two, how does Willy express a new optimism?
3. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
4. What promise does Willy believe Howard made to him during the Christmas party?
5. What did the insurance inspector tell Linda?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)