|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy's plan for cutting off the tree branch show us about him?
(a) That he has practical common sense and is suited to outdoor work.
(b) That he is not interested in preserving the environment.
(c) That he could have been a tree surgeon.
(d) That he wants to steal lumber.
2. What great misconception does Willy express to Ben?
(a) That all anyone needs is a case of samples.
(b) That a man can end up rich just by being liked.
(c) That all you need to offer is loyalty and the rest will follow.
(d) That people will always keep their word.
3. What is it that Linda almost forgets to tell Willy?
(a) That he is to meet the boys for dinner at Frank's Chop House.
(b) That she needs two hundred dollars to cover the month's expenses.
(c) That he is to meet Bill Oliver at Frank's Chop House.
(d) That he is to give Charley an answer about a job.
4. Making an inference from Linda's words, what do you think is Angelo's occupation?
(a) Motor mechanic
(b) Loan shark
(d) Car salesman
5. How much does Linda have to pay for repair of the hot water system?
(a) Fifty-six dollars
(b) A hundred dollars
(c) Fifty dollars
(d) Ninety-six dollars
6. How did Ben and Willy's father support his family financially as they traveled?
(a) By giving flute concerts in every town they visited
(b) By working in bars
(c) By selling the flutes he had made
(d) By selling agricultural machinery he had invented
7. How long has it taken the Lomans to pay off their house?
(a) Twenty-five years
(b) Thirty-five years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Thirty years
8. What excuse does Charley give Willy for his visit?
(a) He wants to play cards.
(b) He hears some noise and thinks something has happened.
(c) He hears some noise so he thinks he would come in for a chat.
(d) He remembers to tell Willy about an important job opportunity.
9. What offer of Charley's does Willy refuse?
(a) Fifty dollars per week for life
(b) To intercede with Howard to give Willy his job back
(c) A supervisory job in Boston
(d) A job where he will not have to go out on the road
10. Why does Willy become annoyed with Linda?
(a) She has not finished the washing-up.
(b) He does not like to see her mending her stockings.
(c) He does not like the brand of cheese she buys..
(d) He does not like her asking so many questions of him.
11. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
(a) They have a heavy mortgage.
(b) They are paying for roof repair and a new fan belt for the refrigerator.
(c) They are paying for roof repair and a new car.
(d) They are paying off household appliances and a repair of their roof.
12. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(b) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(c) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(d) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
13. What great regret does Willy mention to Happy?
(a) Not talking to Mr Birnbaum about Biff's Math results
(b) Not buying new stockings for Linda
(c) Not going to Alaska with his brother
(d) Driving badly in Yonkers
14. Who does Happy say is his ideal girl?
(a) Someone like his mother
(b) Someone with financial experience
(c) Someone who is a good cook and a good typist
(d) Anyone he can look up to and who will help him get along
15. What metaphor about Willy does Linda use in her phone conversation with Biff?
(a) "He's like an old man rocking the boat."
(b) "He's like a boat looking for a harbor."
(c) "He's an old clipper with no skipper."
(d) "He's only a little boat looking for a harbor."
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long has Willy been a salesman for Howard's firm?
2. Why does Willy need to borrow money from Charley?
3. According to Willy, what has left him unsettled and "temporary?"
4. What does Willy find ironic about people?
5. What does Biff need to do in order to avoid flunking Math?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)