|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 130-149.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Willy contradict himself in this opening scene?
(a) He boasts about his sales, then says he's a hopeless salesman.
(b) Willy first describes Biff as "a lazy bum," then a few seconds later says "Biff--he's not lazy."
(c) He first says that Biff is not lazy, then calls him "a lazy bum."
(d) He first asks Linda for a sandwich, then says he'll just drink some milk.
2. What suggests to us that Biff has returned from a journey?
(a) Linda mentions that Biff has "just got off [a] train."
(b) A partially unpacked suitcase is on Biff's bed.
(c) Biff's suitcase is in the hall.
(d) Linda tells Willy she met the train.
3. What worrying news does Bernard bring?
(a) He has heard that someone else has won the sports scholarship.
(b) He has heard Mr Birnbaum threatening to flunk Biff in Math.
(c) He has heard that Mr Birnbaum is leaving the school.
(d) Biff has failed Math.
4. What change has Happy noticed in Biff?
(a) Biff has lost his sense of humor and has become bad-tempered.
(b) Biff has lost his old humor and confidence.
(c) Biff has put on weight and seems confused.
(d) Biff has become withdrawn and sad.
5. What happens as Willy is driving on the highway?
(a) The car breaks down.
(b) A woman yells at him.
(c) He runs off the road.
(d) He allows the car to veer over the white line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of debts do Willy and Linda have?
2. When Linda says "You notice?", what is she referring to?
3. What, in Willy's behavior, embarrasses Happy?
4. ___________ says "And, by God, I was rich."
5. Where does Willy believe his company most needs him?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)