|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one possible symbolic meaning to this last scene?
2. What does Paulina want Gerardo to do on the Investigating Committee?
3. As Paulina persists in questioning Gerardo about the affair, how does he respond.
4. What is the main thing Paulina wants from Roberto?
5. What was one thing that revolted Gerardo under the military regime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina pretends that Gerardo has awakened her when he tells her that Roberto is staying the night, comforts her fear and asks her to make them breakfast in the morning.
1. Why do you think Paulina has pretended to be asleep?
2. Why do you think Paulina is afraid of strangers and do you think there is any way for her to overcome her fear?
Essay Topic 2
Act 1, Scene 3, is an extremely brief scene without dialog, written all in stage directions. The stage is darker still, when a cloud has passed over the moon.
1. Why do you think a writer would have a scene without dialog? Use examples to support your answer.
2. What symbolism do you see in the darkness of the stage? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Some audience members may also be shocked by Paulina's act of taking off her panties and stuffing them in Roberto's mouth. It is a moment that defines the disgust she feels for him. It is also a kind of smug revenge, as we shall see in later scenes, or a display of her new-found feminine power, now that she has the upper hand.
1. Do you think the act of Paulina stuffing Roberto's mouth with her panties might indicate some of the torture she endured? Why or why not? What type of torture would it suggest? Why?
2. Paulina now has the upper-hand with a man she believes was one of her captors. Do you think doing what she is starting to do only brings her down to his level? Why or why not?
3. If you found someone you thought had imprisoned you and tortured you what would your response be?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)