|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters as Paulina is paying for the candy?
2. What does Gerardo ask of Roberto concerning Paulina?
3. What is Gerardo's response to Roberto's taunting him?
4. What does Paulina want of Gerardo?
5. Who turns to Roberto and meets his gaze for a moment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina pretends that Gerardo has awakened her when he tells her that Roberto is staying the night, comforts her fear and asks her to make them breakfast in the morning.
1. Why do you think Paulina has pretended to be asleep?
2. Why do you think Paulina is afraid of strangers and do you think there is any way for her to overcome her fear?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As Paulina pays for some candy at the concert, Roberto enters. According to the stage direction, he may be real, or just in Paulina's head.
1. Do you think Roberto is there or that Paulina killed him? Why or why not?
2. If Paulina killed him, why do you think she would see him at a concert that played Schubert's Death and the Maiden?
3. Do you think it is more likely that Roberto is at the concert or that Paulina is insane? Explain your answer.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)