|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Gerardo give in pleading with Roberto to indulge Paulina?
2. Where does this scene open?
3. What does Paulina say about the way Roberto takes his coffee?
4. What song begins to play when Paulina tells her story?
5. What does Roberto state about the situation in question #126.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina finally speaks, and her first monologue presents the full force of her hatred for the man calling himself Roberto Miranda.
1. Do you believe if someone carries hatred inside it is harmful to that person? Why or why not?
2. There have been persons in history who have been done great wrong and forgiven their oppressors. Do you think you could do that? Why or why not?
3. In what ways do you think Paulina's hatred could blind her to the possibility that Roberto is not the man who tortured her?
Essay Topic 2
This is another powerful scene where no dialogue, or at least no meaningful dialogue, is spoken.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think that some emotions can be better portrayed with watching behavior rather than with words? Why or why not?
3. If you were to watch some students in your school without being able to hear their words, would you have a good idea of what they might be saying? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina pretends that Gerardo has awakened her when he tells her that Roberto is staying the night, comforts her fear and asks her to make them breakfast in the morning.
1. Why do you think Paulina has pretended to be asleep?
2. Why do you think Paulina is afraid of strangers and do you think there is any way for her to overcome her fear?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)