|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Roberto say he has to go?
2. Who did Dr. Miranda used to quote?
3. When Paulina returns to the living room, what does she do?
4. Who does Roberto condemn?
5. Who does Paulina meet after three days of captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerardo looks at Paulina, who does not return the look, takes her hand and looks forward.
1. What do you think this behavior of Gerardo means?
2. What might be symbolically significant that Gerardo is looking forward and Paulina is looking at Roberto?
3. Does this part of the last scene seem to imply to you that Paulina still has not healed? Why or why not?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)