|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Gerardo and Roberto at the beginning of this scene?
2. Besides his voice, how else does Paulina know Roberta was one of her torturers?
3. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about Roberto?
4. What is Roberto's situation?
5. What does Paulina talk about in the opening of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some audience members may also be shocked by Paulina's act of taking off her panties and stuffing them in Roberto's mouth. It is a moment that defines the disgust she feels for him. It is also a kind of smug revenge, as we shall see in later scenes, or a display of her new-found feminine power, now that she has the upper hand.
1. Do you think the act of Paulina stuffing Roberto's mouth with her panties might indicate some of the torture she endured? Why or why not? What type of torture would it suggest? Why?
2. Paulina now has the upper-hand with a man she believes was one of her captors. Do you think doing what she is starting to do only brings her down to his level? Why or why not?
3. If you found someone you thought had imprisoned you and tortured you what would your response be?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina has said she wants Gerardo to defend the truth on the Investigating Commission.
1. What do you think she meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina believes Gerardo is too weak to insist on the truth if she isn't pushing him? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the truth should be more important to Gerardo than it is? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,019 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)