|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paulina say to reassure Gerardo.
2. What does Roberto state about the situation in question #126.
3. How many lines does Paulina speak in this scene?
4. What does Paulina mention using to rape Roberto, implying that he had done the same to her.
5. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she intends to kill Roberto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina has said she wants Gerardo to defend the truth on the Investigating Commission.
1. What do you think she meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina believes Gerardo is too weak to insist on the truth if she isn't pushing him? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the truth should be more important to Gerardo than it is? Why or why not?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)