|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerardo ask of Paulina as she is talking about the above phrase?
2. When the music ends, what do Gerardo and Paulina do?
3. At first, what is the primary reason for the doctor's presence during torture?
4. What do Gerardo and Paulina have with them on the terrace?
5. What does Paulina asks Gerardo to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina finally speaks, and her first monologue presents the full force of her hatred for the man calling himself Roberto Miranda.
1. Do you believe if someone carries hatred inside it is harmful to that person? Why or why not?
2. There have been persons in history who have been done great wrong and forgiven their oppressors. Do you think you could do that? Why or why not?
3. In what ways do you think Paulina's hatred could blind her to the possibility that Roberto is not the man who tortured her?
Essay Topic 3
Some audience members may also be shocked by Paulina's act of taking off her panties and stuffing them in Roberto's mouth. It is a moment that defines the disgust she feels for him. It is also a kind of smug revenge, as we shall see in later scenes, or a display of her new-found feminine power, now that she has the upper hand.
1. Do you think the act of Paulina stuffing Roberto's mouth with her panties might indicate some of the torture she endured? Why or why not? What type of torture would it suggest? Why?
2. Paulina now has the upper-hand with a man she believes was one of her captors. Do you think doing what she is starting to do only brings her down to his level? Why or why not?
3. If you found someone you thought had imprisoned you and tortured you what would your response be?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)