|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Paulina not shared with Gerardo in the past?
(a) That she is estranged from her parents.
(b) The fact that she had been a medical student.
(c) Very much about her experiences while being tortured.
(d) That she was fairly sure she knew who Dr. Miranda is.
2. Why is Gerardo being congratulated?
(a) For the release of an important paper.
(b) For his birthday.
(c) For having such an incredible wife.
(d) On the birth of his son.
3. What does Paulina do when she walks away from Gerardo?
(a) Goes and buys some candy.
(b) Goes to hail a cab.
(c) Meets up surriptitiously with her lover.
(d) Goes to the ladies room.
4. What does Paulina confess she has faked during their marriage?
(b) The fact that she was tortured.
(c) Her sanity.
(d) Her real name.
5. What seems to happen to Gerardo in this scene?
(a) He has a complete nervous breakdown.
(b) He starts really feeling sorry for Roberto.
(c) He gains his power.
(d) He becomes certain his wife is insane and wants to commit her to an asylum.
6. What is one possible symbolic meaning to this last scene?
(a) That if you can't kill someone, you should not tie them up and threaten them.
(b) That the past is in the past and can no longer bother you in the present.
(c) That God is the Judge of all people.
(d) That Roberto will always be at least figuratively hanging over Paulina and Gerardo's shoulders.
7. Who did Dr. Miranda used to quote?
8. What does Gerardo imply that Roberto has done?
(a) Assassinated the chief of police.
(b) Performed human euthanesia.
(c) Raped women tied to a cot.
(d) Gotten himself into this predicament by his actions.
9. What does Gerardo say Paulina will do if Roberto does not confess?
(a) Cut out his tongue.
(b) Take him to the police.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Have Gerardo work him over with a billy club.
10. Who turns to Roberto and meets his gaze for a moment?
(b) Roberto's wife.
(d) Roberto's mistress.
11. Where does this scene open?
(a) In the legislative building.
(b) A concert hall.
(c) At a public park.
(d) At the police station.
12. What song begins to play when Paulina tells her story?
(a) The Beatles' Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
(b) Chicago's McArthur Park.
(c) Schubert's Death and the Maiden.
(d) Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
13. What does Roberto state about the situation in question #126.
(a) That it was a patriotic thing the doctors did.
(b) That it had been investigated by the medical association.
(c) That the doctors were forced into the situation.
(d) That it was not true.
14. What is Paulina's relationship with her parents like?
(a) Her parents are not mentioned in this scene.
(c) Average daughter/parent relationship.
(d) Very close.
15. Where is Roberto at the opening of this scene?
(a) They have let him go.
(b) Back in the bedroom sleeping.
(c) Dead; his body is in the car trunk.
(d) Still tied up in the living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Gerardo give in pleading with Roberto to indulge Paulina?
2. When is Paulina kidnapped?
3. How has Gerardo thought of Paulina's emotional state over the years?
4. What announces the resumption of the concert?
5. What composer does Dr. Miranda play while talking with Paulina in captivity?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)