|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Paulina at the opening of this scene?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At the neighbor's house.
(c) In bed asleep.
(d) Out on the terrace.
2. What does Gerardo say Paulina will do if Roberto does not confess?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Take him to the police.
(c) Have Gerardo work him over with a billy club.
(d) Cut out his tongue.
3. What does Paulina asks Gerardo to do?
(a) To rough Roberto up to scare him.
(b) To leave the house until Paulina is through with Roberto.
(c) To convince Roberto that Paulina will kill him if he doesn't confess.
(d) To help her dispose of the body if she has to kill Roberto.
4. Who does Paulina mention that upsets Roberto?
(a) His children.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His sister.
5. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about Roberto?
(a) That he doesn't want to cooperate.
(b) That he is actually an undercover agent for Gerardo's commission.
(c) That Gerardo is certain that Roberto is Dr. Miranda.
(d) That he is having a heart attack from fear.
6. What did the woman with whom Gerardo had an affair claim?
(a) That she could help him find Paulina.
(b) That she was with the secret police.
(c) That she was better for him than Paulina.
(d) That she had also been tortured.
7. At first, what is the primary reason for the doctor's presence during torture?
(a) To administer truth serum.
(b) To make certain a woman isn't pregnant before shock torture.
(c) To say how much physical abuse the prisoner can withstand without dying.
(d) To heal the patient.
8. What does Paulina say about the relationship between some doctors and the secret police?
(a) That the police believe doctors could not be trusted.
(b) That the doctors pretended to help the police, but were spying for the rebels.
(c) That the police used the doctors in their torture sessions.
(d) That the doctors and the police were on different sides of the political situation.
9. What interrupted Paulina from telling this something years ago?
(a) The baby crying and needing attention.
(b) An air raid.
(c) A woman whom Gerardo had been sleeping with while Paulina was imprisoned.
(d) The police arresting Paulina.
10. When the music ends, what do Gerardo and Paulina do?
(a) He kisses the lead actress and she gives the actress a rose.
(b) They throws confetti onto the stage.
(c) They are not in the audience.
(d) He applauds; she does not.
11. What was one thing that revolted Gerardo under the military regime?
(a) That they dismissed the junta.
(b) The nationalization of the banks.
(c) False evidence against innocent people.
(d) The many executions.
12. What does Paulina want Gerardo to do on the Investigating Committee?
(a) Be the voice of reason.
(b) Lie so as to get the past over as quickly as possible.
(c) She doesn't want him on the committee.
(d) Defend the truth.
13. Why does Gerardo think he'll have to resign?
(a) Because he is ineffective.
(b) Because he wants to kill Roberto.
(c) Because the events here will be made public.
(d) Because his wife is insane.
14. What does Roberto say about Gerardo's ability to protect Paulina?
(a) That it's not his responsibility to have kept Paulina safe.
(b) He is better able to protect her than the police.
(c) He is not to blame that he couldn't keep Paulina safe.
(d) Roberto questions Gerardo's manhood for not protecting Paulina from rape.
15. What seems to happen to Gerardo in this scene?
(a) He has a complete nervous breakdown.
(b) He becomes certain his wife is insane and wants to commit her to an asylum.
(c) He gains his power.
(d) He starts really feeling sorry for Roberto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters as Paulina is paying for the candy?
2. Who turns to Roberto and meets his gaze for a moment?
3. What does Gerardo ask of Paulina as she is talking about the above phrase?
4. How has Gerardo thought of Paulina's emotional state over the years?
5. What will Paulina do if Roberto gives her a signed confession?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)