|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerardo think he'll have to resign?
(a) Because he wants to kill Roberto.
(b) Because the events here will be made public.
(c) Because his wife is insane.
(d) Because he is ineffective.
2. Besides his voice, how else does Paulina know Roberta was one of her torturers?
(a) The way he says certain words with a foreign accent.
(b) The way he sniffs his nose constantly.
(c) The feel of his skin and his smell.
(d) The way he blinks his eyes constantly.
3. When the music ends, what do Gerardo and Paulina do?
(a) They are not in the audience.
(b) He kisses the lead actress and she gives the actress a rose.
(c) They throws confetti onto the stage.
(d) He applauds; she does not.
4. How has Gerardo thought of Paulina's emotional state over the years?
(b) In denial.
5. What seems to happen to Gerardo in this scene?
(a) He has a complete nervous breakdown.
(b) He becomes certain his wife is insane and wants to commit her to an asylum.
(c) He starts really feeling sorry for Roberto.
(d) He gains his power.
6. What is uncertain about the arrival of Roberto?
(a) He was in prison, so he must have escaped.
(b) Whether he is actually there or if Paulina is imaging it.
(c) Roberto has a twin brother and it may be the twin and not Roberto.
(d) He has dyed his hair and had a nose job, so it's not certain if that is really Roberto.
7. At first, what is the primary reason for the doctor's presence during torture?
(a) To administer truth serum.
(b) To heal the patient.
(c) To make certain a woman isn't pregnant before shock torture.
(d) To say how much physical abuse the prisoner can withstand without dying.
8. What is Gerardo's response to Roberto's taunting him?
(a) Threatens to shoot Roberto himself.
(b) Unties Roberto and throws him out of the house.
(c) Laughs since he knows what Roberto is trying to do.
(d) Tells Roberto he is insane.
9. Who enters as Paulina is paying for the candy?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her son.
10. What is Gerardo trying to get Paulina to tell him?
(a) That she wants to divorce him.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) Something she had started to tell him years before.
(d) Why they must kill Roberto.
11. Who does Roberto condemn?
(a) His adulterous wife.
12. What does Paulina confess she has faked during their marriage?
(a) Her real name.
(b) Her sanity.
(c) The fact that she was tortured.
13. What happens when Gerardo turns on the tape recorder?
(a) They can't find the recorder.
(b) He prompts Paulina to tell her story.
(c) He goes in and forces Roberto to speak into the microphone.
(d) The tape breaks.
14. Where does Roberto say he has to go?
(a) To work.
(b) To pick his wife and children up at the airport.
(c) To his office to get his papers for accuracy.
(d) To the bathroom.
15. What is one possible symbolic meaning to this last scene?
(a) That if you can't kill someone, you should not tie them up and threaten them.
(b) That God is the Judge of all people.
(c) That Roberto will always be at least figuratively hanging over Paulina and Gerardo's shoulders.
(d) That the past is in the past and can no longer bother you in the present.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Roberto says when Paulina removes the gag?
2. About what phrase does Paulina talk?
3. What does Paulina want Gerardo to do on the Investigating Committee?
4. What song begins to play when Paulina tells her story?
5. What does Paulina want of Gerardo?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)