|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes how the orchestra in playing during the ball in Act 1, Scene 4, as stated in the text?
2. What type of transportation does Olunde use to travel home as discussed in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
4. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is Amusa's character ruled by, as can be seen toward the middle of Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does the Marketplace hold for the story? What significance does the Marketplace hold for Elesin Oba in particular? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
What does anti-colonialism have to do with the driving forces of the play? How do Soyinka's own feelings of anti-colonialism come to the surface with his writing of "Death and the King's horseman"?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)