|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
2. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. To whom does Soyinka dedicate this play?
4. Which character does not speak at all during the play?
5. What color sash does Elesin Oba wear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soyinka clearly had many purposes for introducing this play to the world. This can especially be seen within the author's note. Given the author's note, what do you believe were Soyinka's intentions for introducing this story to Western society?
Essay Topic 2
What does anti-colonialism have to do with the driving forces of the play? How do Soyinka's own feelings of anti-colonialism come to the surface with his writing of "Death and the King's horseman"?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin Oba rationalize marrying the young girl to the women of the Market? Why does Iyaloja specifically believe marriage is a bad idea for Elesin, considering the journey he must make?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)