Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
2. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
4. Where will the ball be taking place?
5. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
Essay Topic 1
Pilkings and Elesin are similar in many more ways than are directly visible to either of them. Explain the similarities that lie between Elesin and Pilkings and postulate as to why Soyinka would have chosen to add that particular element to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Soyinka clearly had many purposes for introducing this play to the world. This can especially be seen within the author's note. Given the author's note, what do you believe were Soyinka's intentions for introducing this story to Western society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)