|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This character is portrayed as being selfish and ignorant of others' cultures.
2. What does Elesin seem fascinated with as he sits in his cell?
3. The music and dance in the British world is ruled by status and _________.
4. What does Jane call the scene of splendor as Olunde gestures toward it during their argument?
5. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British and the Yoruban people are very different in belief and practice, although some similarities do exist between each of the cultures. What do the similarities add to the story? What does Soyinka hope to do by including such similarities? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
Essay Topic 3
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)