|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iyaloja tell Elesin's bride that she must think of by the end of the play?
2. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
3. How much time does Pilkings give Amusa to arrest Elesin?
4. In addition to the Yoruban religion, there are several references made to this particular religion throughout the play.
5. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of cultural relativism play an important role in understanding and interpreting the play?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of duty is important for the action of the text. Explain Elesin's duty and why failure of that duty would cause the Yoruban universe to spin out of control. Be sure to use in-text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Soyinka clearly had many purposes for introducing this play to the world. This can especially be seen within the author's note. Given the author's note, what do you believe were Soyinka's intentions for introducing this story to Western society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)