|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
2. Finish the quotation stated by Jane in Act 1, Scene 4. "The kind of person you feel should be a poet munching _____________ in Bloomsbury".
3. How many worlds are there in the spirit of the Yoruban race?
4. Which character does not speak at all during the play?
5. In addition to the Yoruban religion, there are several references made to this particular religion throughout the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilkings and Elesin are similar in many more ways than are directly visible to either of them. Explain the similarities that lie between Elesin and Pilkings and postulate as to why Soyinka would have chosen to add that particular element to the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)