|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
2. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
3. What type of drumming beat signifies death in the Yoruban world?
4. This is mentioned throughout the text. It is a delicacy of crushed melon seeds.
5. What is the resident concentrating on when he sees the British officers?
Essay Topic 1
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin Oba rationalize marrying the young girl to the women of the Market? Why does Iyaloja specifically believe marriage is a bad idea for Elesin, considering the journey he must make?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)