|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of drumming beat signifies death in the Yoruban world?
2. Which word best describes Olunde's reaction to his father's death?
3. What does Pilkings steal from Elesin?
4. Which character sits beside Elesin's cell?
5. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Elesin's character traits problematic for the role he must play in the universe of the Yoruban people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does anti-colonialism have to do with the driving forces of the play? How do Soyinka's own feelings of anti-colonialism come to the surface with his writing of "Death and the King's horseman"?
Essay Topic 3
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
This section contains 157 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)