|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
2. What time is it when Pilkings finally decides to go after Elesin?
3. What does Elesin consider to be model wifely behavior?
4. Which type of bird must serve the offering once the death ritual is complete?
5. This character is portrayed as being selfish and ignorant of others' cultures.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elesin Oba rationalize marrying the young girl to the women of the Market? Why does Iyaloja specifically believe marriage is a bad idea for Elesin, considering the journey he must make?
Essay Topic 2
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin explain his failure to complete his transition? How do God and intervention relate to one another in this respect?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)