|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
2. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
4. Where will the ball be taking place?
5. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
Essay Topic 1
Soyinka clearly had many purposes for introducing this play to the world. This can especially be seen within the author's note. Given the author's note, what do you believe were Soyinka's intentions for introducing this story to Western society?
Essay Topic 2
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
How might the meaning of the story change, had the author only stated that the British involvement was crucial to the plot?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)