|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
2. What time is it when Pilkings finally decides to go after Elesin?
3. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
4. Which word best describes how Amusa is feeling when he arrives at the Yoruban village in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of cultural relativism play an important role in understanding and interpreting the play?
Essay Topic 2
What does anti-colonialism have to do with the driving forces of the play? How do Soyinka's own feelings of anti-colonialism come to the surface with his writing of "Death and the King's horseman"?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)