|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin seem fascinated with as he sits in his cell?
2. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
3. How much time has elapsed since Olunde received word of the king's death, as stated in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
5. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olunde and Soyinka have many similarities. Compare Soyinka, the author, with Olunde and his character within the book.
Essay Topic 2
What significance does the Marketplace hold for the story? What significance does the Marketplace hold for Elesin Oba in particular? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)