|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
2. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
3. Which word best describes Elesin's feelings toward Olunde's reaction to him?
4. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
5. Which word best describes Olunde's reaction to his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
Essay Topic 2
Pilkings and Elesin are similar in many more ways than are directly visible to either of them. Explain the similarities that lie between Elesin and Pilkings and postulate as to why Soyinka would have chosen to add that particular element to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Fear plays a large part in the motivation of the actions of several people within the play. How does fear motivate the actions of characters within the play? Which characters are motivated by fear?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)