|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
2. Which type of formation are the couples in at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
4. How many shells are there to the soul of a man?
5. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olunde and Soyinka have many similarities. Compare Soyinka, the author, with Olunde and his character within the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Elesin explain his failure to complete his transition? How do God and intervention relate to one another in this respect?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)