|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who performs the ritual sacrifices made for the Yoruban king?
2. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
3. How old is Elesin Oba by the last scene of the play?
4. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
5. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
Essay Topic 2
How does Elesin explain his failure to complete his transition? How do God and intervention relate to one another in this respect?
Essay Topic 3
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)