|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
2. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
3. Where was the author educated?
4. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
5. The masks in Act 1, Scene 2, signify what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the praise-singer?
2. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
3. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
4. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
5. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
6. What does seeing Elesin alive mean to Olunde?
7. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
8. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1 the praise-singer talks to Elesin about how the Yoruban people have not betrayed their culture, even in the midst of the British occupation. What does the praise-singer claim is the only way the Yoruban people will fail?
10. How does Olunde react when he sees Jane in the ancestral mask?
Essay Topic 1
How does Elesin explain his failure to complete his transition? How do God and intervention relate to one another in this respect?
Essay Topic 2
What does morality have to do with the decision making process of Pilkings? Explain your reasoning using in-text citations.
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin Oba rationalize marrying the young girl to the women of the Market? Why does Iyaloja specifically believe marriage is a bad idea for Elesin, considering the journey he must make?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)