|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pilkings instruct Amusa to lock Elesin up in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
3. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
4. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
5. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
2. What are Elesin's last requests before his death?
3. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
4. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
5. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
6. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
7. What information is given about the Yoruba in the author's note?
8. Describe Elesin Oba's character, as presented by Soyinka.
9. In Act 1, Scene 1 the praise-singer talks to Elesin about how the Yoruban people have not betrayed their culture, even in the midst of the British occupation. What does the praise-singer claim is the only way the Yoruban people will fail?
10. Explain the opening scene of Act 1, Scene 1. What do you find out about Elesin Oba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elesin explain his failure to complete his transition? How do God and intervention relate to one another in this respect?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of duty is important for the action of the text. Explain Elesin's duty and why failure of that duty would cause the Yoruban universe to spin out of control. Be sure to use in-text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Are Elesin's character traits problematic for the role he must play in the universe of the Yoruban people? Why or why not?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)