|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
2. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
3. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
4. What does "Oba" mean?
5. How many years has Olunde been in school thus far, as stated within the conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elesin kill himself?
2. How is the scene with Amusa in the market a sign that the British assimilation has failed?
3. Why does Amusa fail in arresting Elesin?
4. How are the Pilkings' associated with Elesin and his family?
5. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
6. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
7. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
8. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
9. Why does Pilkings believe that Elesin is upset while he is locked in the cellar in Act 1, Scene 5?
10. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
Essay Topic 1
Fear plays a large part in the motivation of the actions of several people within the play. How does fear motivate the actions of characters within the play? Which characters are motivated by fear?
Essay Topic 2
Are Elesin's character traits problematic for the role he must play in the universe of the Yoruban people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the roles of individualism and altruism work in opposition of one another throughout the play? Explain your reasoning using in-text citations.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)