|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oyo is a _______________.
2. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
3. Finish the sentence. The British involvement in this story is ______________.
4. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
5. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
2. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
3. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
4. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Why does Soyinka claim (in the author's note) that the play is not a clash between two cultures (Yoruban and British)?
6. What does Joseph's confusion of the drums symbolize in regard to Elesin's situation?
7. What does seeing Elesin alive mean to Olunde?
8. Why does Olunde decide to take his father's place as the messenger and end his life?
9. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
10. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear plays a large part in the motivation of the actions of several people within the play. How does fear motivate the actions of characters within the play? Which characters are motivated by fear?
Essay Topic 2
Each culture [British and Yoruban] holds varying views on death and death's meaning. How does each culture's view of death differ? Why might these differences cause conflict or confrontation between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
What does morality have to do with the decision making process of Pilkings? Explain your reasoning using in-text citations.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)