|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
2. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
3. Whom does Soyinka blame for the tragedy of the story?
4. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
5. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Pilkings and Elesin alike?
2. Describe Elesin's reaction when Jane attempts to plead with him in the last scene of the play.
3. How are the Pilkings' associated with Elesin and his family?
4. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
5. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
6. How does Olunde react when he finally sees his father, alive?
7. What is the "real" theme of the play, as stated by Soyinka in the author's note?
8. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
9. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
10. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the roles of individualism and altruism work in opposition of one another throughout the play? Explain your reasoning using in-text citations.
Essay Topic 2
Olunde and Soyinka have many similarities. Compare Soyinka, the author, with Olunde and his character within the book.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)