Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose home does the second scene take place?
2. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
3. What is another name for the praise-singer?
4. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
5. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
2. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
3. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
4. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
5. Explain the differences in the actual incident in Nigeria and the story that Soyinka sets, in "Death and the King's Horseman".
6. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
7. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
8. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
9. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
10. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women within the story is very muted, except for Iyaloja, who plays a critical role in the play as the voice of reason. What does the play suggest about the women's roles in each culture? How does Iyaloja's role deviate from the typical social construct of the time?
Essay Topic 2
Are Elesin's character traits problematic for the role he must play in the universe of the Yoruban people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)