|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
2. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
3. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
4. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
5. In whose home does the second scene take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
2. In Act 1, Scene 1 the praise-singer talks to Elesin about how the Yoruban people have not betrayed their culture, even in the midst of the British occupation. What does the praise-singer claim is the only way the Yoruban people will fail?
3. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
4. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
5. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
6. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
7. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
8. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
9. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
10. What information is given about the Yoruba in the author's note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which events of the play are set in a public place? Why does Soyinka do this?
Essay Topic 2
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
Essay Topic 3
Fear plays a large part in the motivation of the actions of several people within the play. How does fear motivate the actions of characters within the play? Which characters are motivated by fear?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)