|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose home does the second scene take place?
2. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
3. What is another name for the praise-singer?
4. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
5. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
2. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
3. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
4. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
5. Explain the differences in the actual incident in Nigeria and the story that Soyinka sets, in "Death and the King's Horseman".
6. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
7. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
8. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
9. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
10. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
Essay Topic 1
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 2
How might the meaning of the story change, had the author only stated that the British involvement was crucial to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How do the roles of individualism and altruism work in opposition of one another throughout the play? Explain your reasoning using in-text citations.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)