|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
2. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
3. What does "Oba" mean?
4. How does Elesin feel regarding Pilkings helping Olunde go to school?
5. Finish the sentence. The British involvement in this story is ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening scene of Act 1, Scene 1. What do you find out about Elesin Oba?
2. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
3. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
4. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
5. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
6. What is the job of the praise-singer?
7. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
8. Who is Amusa and what is his role?
9. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
10. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elesin Oba rationalize marrying the young girl to the women of the Market? Why does Iyaloja specifically believe marriage is a bad idea for Elesin, considering the journey he must make?
Essay Topic 2
How does the idea of cultural relativism play an important role in understanding and interpreting the play?
Essay Topic 3
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)