|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
2. At which setting does the play open?
3. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
4. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
5. Soyinka's story is based upon ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1 the praise-singer talks to Elesin about how the Yoruban people have not betrayed their culture, even in the midst of the British occupation. What does the praise-singer claim is the only way the Yoruban people will fail?
2. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
3. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
4. Why does Amusa refuse to speak directly to Pilkings during their encounter in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
6. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
7. How does Olunde react when he finally sees his father, alive?
8. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
9. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
10. What does Amusa's note say in the dance of Act 1, Scene 4? Why does Amusa write the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Elesin's character traits problematic for the role he must play in the universe of the Yoruban people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Olunde and Soyinka have many similarities. Compare Soyinka, the author, with Olunde and his character within the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does self-sacrifice relate to this story? What can be inferred about the views on self-sacrifice between the two cultures?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)