|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
2. Oyo is a _______________.
3. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
4. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joseph confused by the drumming?
2. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
3. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
4. Why does Olunde return to the Yoruba people in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
6. What does seeing Elesin alive mean to Olunde?
7. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
8. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
9. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
10. What is the job of the praise-singer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of cultural relativism play an important role in understanding and interpreting the play?
Essay Topic 2
The British and the Yoruban people are very different in belief and practice, although some similarities do exist between each of the cultures. What do the similarities add to the story? What does Soyinka hope to do by including such similarities? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
How does Elesin's love of the Marketplace work to symbolize his love and appreciation for life? Explain using in-text citations.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)