|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose home does the second scene take place?
2. As stated by the praise-singer in the play, what does a man forget when he approaches a brand new bride?
3. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
4. How does Elesin feel regarding Pilkings helping Olunde go to school?
5. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Soyinka believe that the British were responsible for the suicide of Elesin and his son? Why or why not?
2. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
3. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
4. How does Elesin kill himself?
5. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
6. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
7. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
8. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
10. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of cultural relativism play an important role in understanding and interpreting the play?
Essay Topic 2
What significance does the Marketplace hold for the story? What significance does the Marketplace hold for Elesin Oba in particular? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Soyinka clearly had many purposes for introducing this play to the world. This can especially be seen within the author's note. Given the author's note, what do you believe were Soyinka's intentions for introducing this story to Western society?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)