Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose home does the second scene take place?
(b) The Pilkings'.
(d) The resident of the prince.
2. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) He is not.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They are cousins.
3. What is another name for the praise-singer?
4. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
(a) Not stated.
5. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) Elesin's conscience.
(b) A god.
(c) Elesin's soul.
(d) Elesin's best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
2. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
3. To which religion does Amusa belong?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
5. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
2. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
3. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
4. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
5. Explain the differences in the actual incident in Nigeria and the story that Soyinka sets, in "Death and the King's Horseman".
6. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
7. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
8. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
9. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
10. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)