|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
2. The masks in Act 1, Scene 2, signify what?
(d) The underworld.
3. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
4. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
5. How does Elesin feel regarding Pilkings helping Olunde go to school?
Short Answer Questions
1. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
2. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
3. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
4. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
5. What do the women of the market threaten to remove from Amusa if he refuses to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
2. Why does Olunde decide to take his father's place as the messenger and end his life?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
4. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
5. How is foreshadowing present in the opening scene of the play?
6. Why does Soyinka claim (in the author's note) that the play is not a clash between two cultures (Yoruban and British)?
7. Whom does Elesin initially blame for his failure to transition? Why?
8. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
9. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
10. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)