|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country did the original story take place?
2. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
(a) Strange instrumentation.
3. Elesin's love and appreciation for life is ________________ for his community.
4. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
5. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
(a) Stream of consciousness.
(d) Short story.
Short Answer Questions
1. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
2. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
4. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
5. What do the women of the market threaten to remove from Amusa if he refuses to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
2. Why does Olunde return to the Yoruba people in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
4. Explain the opening scene of Act 1, Scene 1. What do you find out about Elesin Oba?
5. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
6. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
7. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
8. What is the job of the praise-singer?
9. Why does Pilkings believe that Elesin is upset while he is locked in the cellar in Act 1, Scene 5?
10. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)