|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
2. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(a) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
(b) Large breaks between scenes.
(d) Without interval.
3. In which country did the original story take place?
4. The British had several Yoruban religious practices ______________.
(a) Within the city limits.
(b) Under contract.
5. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
(a) Season of Colonialism.
(b) Season of Anatomy.
(c) Equal Seasons.
(d) The Four Seasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
2. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
3. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
4. Whom does Soyinka blame for the tragedy of the story?
5. What does "Oba" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pilkings believe that Elesin is upset while he is locked in the cellar in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
3. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
4. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
5. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
6. Why does Olunde return to the Yoruba people in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
8. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
9. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
10. Whom does Elesin initially blame for his failure to transition? Why?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)