|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which setting does the play open?
(a) The British camp.
(b) The palace.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) The river.
2. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
3. How many deaths occur within the story?
4. Which dance do Jane and Pilkings dance to in the second scene of the play?
5. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
(a) Mats being folded.
(b) Cows being milked.
(c) Stalls being emptied.
(d) Baskets being carried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
2. What are Jane and Pilkings wearing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
4. Elesin's love and appreciation for life is ________________ for his community.
5. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
2. Why does Amusa fail in arresting Elesin?
3. Describe Elesin Oba's character, as presented by Soyinka.
4. Why is Joseph confused by the drumming?
5. How does Elesin become aware that it is time for his own death?
6. How does Elesin kill himself?
7. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
8. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Soyinka mentions Pilkings in his author's note. What is important to understand about Pilkings' character, according to Soyinka?
10. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)