|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(d) Ritual murder.
2. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) Fine wine.
(b) A bed of roses.
(c) Finer cloth.
(d) A prostitute.
3. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(b) Large breaks between scenes.
(c) Without interval.
(d) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
4. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(a) The life.
5. Which character in the play would the author, Soyinka, most likely be comparable to?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
2. The characters in the play are _________________.
3. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
4. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
5. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
2. How does Elesin react to Olunde's death?
3. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
4. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
5. Describe Elesin's reaction when Jane attempts to plead with him in the last scene of the play.
6. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
7. Describe Elesin Oba's character, as presented by Soyinka.
8. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
9. What is the job of the praise-singer?
10. What does Amusa's note say in the dance of Act 1, Scene 4? Why does Amusa write the note?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)