|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
2. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(d) Power struggle.
3. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
4. Which of the following is NOT included in things that Elesin loves, as described in the first scene of the play?
(b) Fine cloth.
(c) Rich food.
(d) Red wine.
5. What is proof of the new bride's virginity?
(a) A ring.
(b) White flowers.
(c) Velvet cloth.
(d) The bridal tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elesin wish to make the transition?
2. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
3. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
4. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, Elesin and the praise-singer have a discussion where Elesin compares him to a jealous _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
2. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
3. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
4. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
5. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
6. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
7. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
8. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
9. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
10. How does Elesin react to Olunde's death?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)