|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The British had several Yoruban religious practices ______________.
(a) Under contract.
(b) Within the city limits.
2. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(a) Her family.
(b) Women only.
3. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
4. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
5. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(c) Ritual murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
2. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
3. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
4. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
5. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Soyinka claim (in the author's note) that the play is not a clash between two cultures (Yoruban and British)?
2. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
4. How does Olunde react when he sees Jane in the ancestral mask?
5. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
6. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
7. Why does Pilkings believe that Elesin is upset while he is locked in the cellar in Act 1, Scene 5?
8. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
9. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
10. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)