|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Oba" mean?
(a) Chosen one.
2. What is another name for the praise-singer?
3. To which religion does Amusa belong?
4. Which character in the play would the author, Soyinka, most likely be comparable to?
5. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
(a) Cows being milked.
(b) Mats being folded.
(c) Baskets being carried.
(d) Stalls being emptied.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which setting does the play open?
2. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
3. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
4. Where does Elesin wish to make the transition?
5. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does seeing Elesin alive mean to Olunde?
2. How is the scene with Amusa in the market a sign that the British assimilation has failed?
3. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
4. What is the background story of Wole Soyinka?
5. Why does Olunde return to the Yoruba people in Act 1, Scene 4?
6. How is foreshadowing present in the opening scene of the play?
7. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
8. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
9. Explain and identify the background of Soyinka's story.
10. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)