|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
(b) The other side.
(c) The underworld.
(d) The other world.
2. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
(c) Not stated.
3. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the author's ethnic background?
(b) South American.
5. Where was the author educated?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
2. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
4. Where do the women of the market claim that the "official business" is happening?
5. Which character in the play would the author, Soyinka, most likely be comparable to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
2. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
3. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
4. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
5. Does Soyinka believe that the British were responsible for the suicide of Elesin and his son? Why or why not?
6. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
7. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
8. How does Elesin become aware that it is time for his own death?
9. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
10. What does Amusa's note say in the dance of Act 1, Scene 4? Why does Amusa write the note?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)