|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
2. How many deaths occur within the story?
3. Finish the sentence. The British involvement in this story is ______________.
4. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
(b) Fine cloth.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Rich food.
5. What is the author's ethnic background?
(d) South American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, Jane discusses how calling holy water "nonsense" would offend whom?
3. Whom does Elesin want by his side at his death?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
5. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Soyinka believe that the British were responsible for the suicide of Elesin and his son? Why or why not?
2. How does Elesin kill himself?
3. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
4. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
5. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
6. Is Elesin's death useful to the Yoruban people by the end of the story? Why or why not?
7. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
8. How does Elesin react to Olunde's death?
9. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
10. Why does Soyinka claim (in the author's note) that the play is not a clash between two cultures (Yoruban and British)?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)