|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which religion does Amusa belong?
2. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(c) Ritual murder.
3. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
4. How many deaths occur within the story?
5. The characters in the play are _________________.
(a) Based on Yoruban heros.
(c) Historical characters.
(d) Soyinka's creations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
2. What do the women of the market claim took Olunde away?
3. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
4. What drives the action in the Yoruban world?
5. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elesin become aware that it is time for his own death?
2. How does Elesin kill himself?
3. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
4. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
5. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
6. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
7. Why does Olunde decide to take his father's place as the messenger and end his life?
8. Explain the differences in the actual incident in Nigeria and the story that Soyinka sets, in "Death and the King's Horseman".
9. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
10. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)