|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(a) Her family.
(b) Women only.
2. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) A dance.
(c) A masque.
(d) An induction ceremony.
3. Who is supposed to make an important appearance later in the evening?
(a) The Yoruban King.
(b) The Prince of England.
(d) Elesin Oba.
4. In whose home does the second scene take place?
(a) The Pilkings'.
(d) The resident of the prince.
5. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
2. A parallel can be seen between Pilkings and which other character in the play?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
4. How many years has Olunde been in school thus far, as stated within the conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
2. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
3. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
4. How are Pilkings and Elesin alike?
5. Whom does Elesin initially blame for his failure to transition? Why?
6. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
7. Is Elesin's death useful to the Yoruban people by the end of the story? Why or why not?
8. What does Amusa's note say in the dance of Act 1, Scene 4? Why does Amusa write the note?
9. What are Olunde's intentions for attending medical school?
10. What does seeing Elesin alive mean to Olunde?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)