|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
2. Which character is portrayed as understanding throughout the play?
3. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) Elesin's soul.
(b) A god.
(c) Elesin's conscience.
(d) Elesin's best friend.
4. The British had several Yoruban religious practices ______________.
(c) Within the city limits.
(d) Under contract.
5. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is proof of the new bride's virginity?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
3. Where do the women of the market claim that the "official business" is happening?
4. Whom does Soyinka blame for the tragedy of the story?
5. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
2. Why does Olunde return to the Yoruba people in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
4. Which agenda seems the most important to Pilkings in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
6. What is the conflict with the bride Elesin chooses in the first scene of the play?
7. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
8. What is the job of the praise-singer?
9. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
10. How does Elesin become aware that it is time for his own death?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)