|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
2. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
3. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, Elesin and the praise-singer have a discussion where Elesin compares him to a jealous _______.
5. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
Short Answer Questions
1. The characters in the play are _________________.
2. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
3. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
4. What is another name for the praise-singer?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, Jane discusses how calling holy water "nonsense" would offend whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph's confusion of the drums symbolize in regard to Elesin's situation?
2. Why is Elesin annoyed in the opening scenes of the play?
3. How do the Yoruban people maintain their link to the king?
4. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
5. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
6. How does Olunde react when he sees Jane in the ancestral mask?
7. What are Elesin's last requests before his death?
8. Why is it ironic that Jane cares so much about Elesin's death?
9. What information is given about the Yoruba in the author's note?
10. What will happen to the king if Elesin fails to make the transition?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)