|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
(a) The wedding night.
(b) The young woman's approval.
(c) Her own failed marriage.
(d) A baby.
2. How many deaths occur within the story?
3. Where does Pilkings instruct Amusa to lock Elesin up in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) His home.
(b) A restricted cell.
(d) His study.
4. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
(a) Stream of consciousness.
(d) Short story.
5. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
2. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
3. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
4. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
5. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Iyaloja and what is her role?
2. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
3. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
4. What does Olunde tell Pilkings about stopping the death of his father, Elesin?
5. Why does Soyinka claim (in the author's note) that the play is not a clash between two cultures (Yoruban and British)?
6. What is the significance of the term, "my mother", in African culture?
7. Iyaloja enters Elesin's cell. Whom does she blame for Elesin's failure, and why?
8. What is the "real" theme of the play, as stated by Soyinka in the author's note?
9. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
10. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)