|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(c) Power struggle.
2. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
(a) Stream of consciousness.
(d) Short story.
3. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(d) The life.
4. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
5. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
2. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
3. Who is responsible if the Yoruban world were to fall off course?
4. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the praise-singer?
2. What is the difference in music and dance in both societies? How can it be seen in the play?
3. What does Elesin confess when Pilkings leaves his cell in Act 1, Scene 5? To whom does he confess this?
4. How does Olunde react when he sees Jane in the ancestral mask?
5. What is it that moves Pilkings out to stop Elesin's death ritual?
6. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
7. How is foreshadowing present in the opening scene of the play?
8. Why does Amusa refuse to speak directly to Pilkings during their encounter in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Why is Joseph confused by the drumming?
10. What does Joseph say when questioned about Elesin's death?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)