|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence. The British involvement in this story is ______________.
2. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
3. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
(a) His horseman.
(b) His servant.
(c) His bride.
(d) A praise-singer.
4. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(b) Wind blows cold from behind.
(c) When the women cover him in damask.
(d) The shedding of the tail.
5. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
(a) Fine cloth.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Rich food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
2. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
3. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
4. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
5. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Olunde is inspired by an English captain. Why?
2. Explain what happens when Elesin emerges from the bridal tent.
3. Why does Amusa fail in arresting Elesin?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, Olunde sends a note to Jane. Why?
5. What is Elesin doing when Amusa comes to arrest him?
6. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
7. In Act 1, Scene 1 the praise-singer talks to Elesin about how the Yoruban people have not betrayed their culture, even in the midst of the British occupation. What does the praise-singer claim is the only way the Yoruban people will fail?
8. What is the "real" theme of the play, as stated by Soyinka in the author's note?
9. How is foreshadowing present in the opening scene of the play?
10. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)