|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(a) Women only.
(d) Her family.
2. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
(b) The market.
(c) The palace.
(d) His new wife.
3. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) Fine wine.
(c) Finer cloth.
(d) A bed of roses.
4. How many deaths occur within the story?
5. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
(b) Not stated.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Death and the King's Horseman" is a story of ____________________ rather than British colonization.
2. What is the author's ethnic background?
3. Which character in the play would the author, Soyinka, most likely be comparable to?
4. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
5. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elesin Oba represent the universe in the eyes of the Yoruban people?
2. How does Elesin react to Olunde's death?
3. What are Jane and Pilkings doing as Act 1, Scene 2 opens and the two are introduced? What are they wearing?
4. What does Amusa's note say in the dance of Act 1, Scene 4? Why does Amusa write the note?
5. Why do the British attempt to come between death and the king's horseman?
6. What are the fears that rule Amusa's character? Which of the two is greater?
7. Explain the scene of the "Not-I" dance.
8. What information is given about the Yoruba in the author's note?
9. Explain the opening scene of Act 1, Scene 1. What do you find out about Elesin Oba?
10. Where does Elesin choose to make his transition? Why does he choose this place?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)