|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
(d) Attempt to understand.
2. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) A wedding song.
(b) They don't sing at all.
(c) A hymn.
(d) A dirge.
3. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
4. What animal does Elesin use to describe Pilkings' guards?
5. What part of the body must touch the ground one final time before the transition is made?
6. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 5 months.
7. What type of material makes up Elesin's handcuffs?
8. What type of transportation does Olunde use to travel home as discussed in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Mail boat.
(c) WWII medical jet.
9. According to Elesin Oba, he is the master of what?
(a) The lives of many.
(b) The Yoruban world.
(c) His own fate.
(d) The afterlife.
10. What does Pilkings steal from Elesin?
(a) His dignity.
(b) His bride.
(c) His son.
(d) His life.
11. Who must Elesin Oba tell if he believes he is not able to make the transition?
(a) The king's horse.
(b) The praise-singer's horse.
(c) The king's dog.
(d) The praise-singer.
12. What type of clothes does Amusa wear, as described by another character?
(a) A blue uniform.
(b) A captain's outfit.
(d) A suit.
13. Which character sits beside Elesin's cell?
(d) His bride.
14. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
15. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane call the scene of splendor as Olunde gestures toward it during their argument?
2. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
3. What is Amusa's character ruled by, as can be seen toward the middle of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
5. How many constables does Amusa bring with him to arrest Elesin?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)