|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) The king will be stuck in transition.
(b) That the British will take over their culture.
(c) That Elesin will not die.
(d) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
2. How does Amusa react to the taunting women in the market in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He fights.
(b) He retreats.
(c) He becomes consumed in anger.
(d) He cries.
3. What type of transportation does Olunde use to travel home as discussed in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) WWII medical jet.
(d) Mail boat.
4. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
5. This character is portrayed as being slightly more understanding of Yoruban cultures.
6. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
(a) Elesin's blessing.
(b) Elesin's bride.
(c) Elesin's identity.
(d) He is coming to say goodbye.
7. Who is the Master of Death, according to "Death and the king's horseman"?
8. Who is in charge of laying Elesin's shrouds?
(a) The women of the market.
(d) His new bride.
9. What does Jane call the scene of splendor as Olunde gestures toward it during their argument?
10. What connects Elesin's handcuffs together?
(a) A chain.
(d) A rope.
11. Which word best describes Olunde's reaction to his father's death?
12. Which character does not speak at all during the play?
(d) Elesin's bride.
13. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) The new bride.
14. What animal must not be seen without his feathers, as stated by the praise-singer in the last scene of the play?
(b) Not-I bird.
15. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) They don't sing at all.
(b) A hymn.
(c) A dirge.
(d) A wedding song.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
2. What does Elesin consider to be model wifely behavior?
3. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
4. Which character is NOT present in the last scene of the play?
5. How much time does Pilkings give Amusa to arrest Elesin?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)