|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women of the market carry as they enter Elesin's cell?
(a) A pyre.
(c) A coffin.
2. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
3. What does Elesin do to Olunde before he leaves for school?
(a) Disowned him.
(b) Hugged him tightly and said goodbye.
(c) Asked him to return soon.
(d) Wished him luck.
4. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
(a) The mother of the market.
(b) The eldest son.
(c) The youngest son.
(d) The king's horseman.
5. Which word best describes Elesin's feelings toward Olunde's reaction to him?
6. Which term is used by the women of the market several times while in an argument with Amusa?
(a) My mother.
(b) My father.
(d) My love.
7. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
8. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
9. The music and dance in the British world is ruled by status and _________.
(a) Cultural significance.
10. What word does Pilkings use to describe Yoruban customs?
11. What will ride at the feet of the king's horse in the afterlife?
(a) The white man.
12. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
(a) Attempt to understand.
13. Which type of formation are the couples in at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
14. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) A hymn.
(b) A wedding song.
(c) They don't sing at all.
(d) A dirge.
15. Finish the quotation stated by Jane in Act 1, Scene 4. "The kind of person you feel should be a poet munching _____________ in Bloomsbury".
(b) Rose petals.
(d) Fish and chips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin seem fascinated with as he sits in his cell?
2. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
3. According to Olunde, what is the greatest art of the British?
4. According to Elesin Oba, he is the master of what?
5. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)