|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the play there is a correlation between the death of the power of religion as well as the death of __________.
(c) The young.
2. What does Elesin consider to be model wifely behavior?
(b) Speaking in defense of her husband.
(d) Caring for children.
3. Which type of bird must serve the offering once the death ritual is complete?
(b) Not-I bird.
4. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
5. What word does Pilkings use to describe Yoruban customs?
6. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
(a) The mother of the market.
(b) The eldest son.
(c) The youngest son.
(d) The king's horseman.
7. Which type of formation are the couples in at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
8. What is the resident concentrating on when he sees the British officers?
(a) The issue at hand.
(b) Their skin.
(c) The fact that they aren't wearing costumes.
(d) Their uniforms.
9. What color sash does Elesin Oba wear?
10. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 5 months.
11. What does Elesin seem fascinated with as he sits in his cell?
(a) His wife's face.
(b) The moon.
(d) The sun.
12. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
13. How many shells are there to the soul of a man?
14. How does Amusa react to the taunting women in the market in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He becomes consumed in anger.
(b) He fights.
(c) He cries.
(d) He retreats.
15. Which term is used by the women of the market several times while in an argument with Amusa?
(a) My love.
(b) My father.
(c) My mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does not speak at all during the play?
2. What does Iyaloja tell Elesin's bride that she must think of by the end of the play?
3. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
4. This character is portrayed as being selfish and ignorant of others' cultures.
5. Who performs the ritual sacrifices made for the Yoruban king?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)