|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) The king will be stuck in transition.
(b) That Elesin will not die.
(c) That the British will take over their culture.
(d) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
2. What connects Elesin's handcuffs together?
(a) A chain.
(c) A rope.
3. According to Elesin Oba, he is the master of what?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) The lives of many.
(c) His own fate.
(d) The Yoruban world.
4. What is the Yoruban term for an ancestral masquerade?
5. What type of material makes up Elesin's handcuffs?
6. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
(d) Attempt to understand.
7. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
8. Finish the quotation stated by Jane in Act 1, Scene 4. "The kind of person you feel should be a poet munching _____________ in Bloomsbury".
(a) Rose petals.
(b) Fish and chips.
9. This is mentioned throughout the text. It is a delicacy of crushed melon seeds.
10. What color sash does Elesin Oba wear?
11. According to Olunde, what is the greatest art of the British?
(a) Throwing parties.
12. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
13. What animal must not be seen without his feathers, as stated by the praise-singer in the last scene of the play?
(a) Not-I bird.
14. What does Pilkings steal from Elesin?
(a) His bride.
(b) His dignity.
(c) His son.
(d) His life.
15. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin consider to be model wifely behavior?
2. What word does Pilkings use to describe Yoruban customs?
3. Which character is NOT present in the last scene of the play?
4. Who is in charge of laying Elesin's shrouds?
5. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)