|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Amusa's character ruled by, as can be seen toward the middle of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who must Elesin Oba tell if he believes he is not able to make the transition?
(a) The king's dog.
(b) The praise-singer.
(c) The praise-singer's horse.
(d) The king's horse.
3. What does Pilkings steal from Elesin?
(a) His dignity.
(b) His son.
(c) His life.
(d) His bride.
4. Which word best describes how Amusa is feeling when he arrives at the Yoruban village in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. This character is portrayed as being selfish and ignorant of others' cultures.
6. What phrase does Elesin use repeatedly to describe Pilkings?
(a) White man.
(b) White one.
(c) White ghost.
(d) Evil one.
7. Olunde admires the self-sacrificial British soldiers of which war?
(a) World War I.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Revolutionary War.
(d) World War II.
8. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
9. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 6 months.
10. How many worlds are there in the spirit of the Yoruban race?
11. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The new bride.
12. What type of dance do the British begin with in Act 1, Scene 4?
13. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 10 days.
14. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
15. Throughout the play there is a correlation between the death of the power of religion as well as the death of __________.
(a) The young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
2. What do the women of the market carry as they enter Elesin's cell?
3. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
4. What color sash does Elesin Oba wear?
5. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)