|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Yoruban term for a royal drum?
2. For Olunde and the Yoruban people, seeing Elesin alive means that they are seeing the _____________ of the Yoruban world.
(b) Greatest miracle.
3. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
(a) He will not dress up.
(b) A coat of arms.
(c) A knight.
(d) A court jester.
4. Who is in charge of laying Elesin's shrouds?
(a) The women of the market.
(c) His new bride.
5. How many worlds are there in the spirit of the Yoruban race?
6. What does Elesin seem fascinated with as he sits in his cell?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
(d) His wife's face.
7. Olunde admires the self-sacrificial British soldiers of which war?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
8. What type of dance do the British begin with in Act 1, Scene 4?
9. Which word best describes Elesin's feelings toward Olunde's reaction to him?
10. What will ride at the feet of the king's horse in the afterlife?
(a) The white man.
11. This character is portrayed as being selfish and ignorant of others' cultures.
12. What word does Pilkings use to describe Yoruban customs?
13. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
(a) A suit.
(c) African robes.
(d) An ancestral mask.
14. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
(a) Attempt to understand.
15. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 10 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. How much time does Pilkings give Amusa to arrest Elesin?
3. Which century of dress are the Europeans wearing at the ball, as explained in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Which word best describes the Prince's reaction to Jane and Pilkings' costumes?
5. How long ago did the English tragedy mentioned in the play occur?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)