|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elesin do to Olunde before he leaves for school?
(a) Asked him to return soon.
(b) Hugged him tightly and said goodbye.
(c) Wished him luck.
(d) Disowned him.
2. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
3. What is a masque, as stated within the text?
(a) Costumed dance.
(b) A British festival.
(c) A Yoruban wedding.
(d) A Yoruban death ritual.
4. What type of drumming beat signifies death in the Yoruban world?
(b) No drumming.
5. What does Elesin consider to be model wifely behavior?
(b) Caring for children.
(d) Speaking in defense of her husband.
6. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
7. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
(a) An ancestral mask.
(b) African robes.
(d) A suit.
8. Who tells Olunde how to find Mr. and Mrs. Pilkings?
(a) No one.
9. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
(a) The mother of the market.
(b) The eldest son.
(c) The youngest son.
(d) The king's horseman.
10. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) They don't sing at all.
(b) A wedding song.
(c) A hymn.
(d) A dirge.
11. How much time does Pilkings give Amusa to arrest Elesin?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
12. What does Iyaloja tell Elesin's bride that she must think of by the end of the play?
(a) Her future.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her child.
(d) Her husband.
13. Who performs the ritual sacrifices made for the Yoruban king?
(a) Elesin Oba.
(b) New king.
(c) Chief brothers.
(d) The women of the market.
14. Finish the quotation stated by Jane in Act 1, Scene 4. "The kind of person you feel should be a poet munching _____________ in Bloomsbury".
(a) Rose petals.
(b) Fish and chips.
15. Which character is NOT present in the last scene of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Elesin use repeatedly to describe Pilkings?
2. What is the Yoruban term for an ancestral masquerade?
3. Who must Elesin Oba tell if he believes he is not able to make the transition?
4. How much time has elapsed since Olunde received word of the king's death, as stated in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)