|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does not speak at all during the play?
(b) Elesin's bride.
2. Olunde does not _______________ Elesin when he sees him.
(c) Cry over.
3. What type of outfit does Olunde wear?
(a) An ancestral mask.
(b) A suit.
(d) African robes.
4. The music and dance in the British world is ruled by status and _________.
(c) Cultural significance.
5. Which word best describes Olunde's reaction to his father's death?
6. What phrase does Elesin use repeatedly to describe Pilkings?
(a) White one.
(b) White man.
(c) Evil one.
(d) White ghost.
7. What part of the body must touch the ground one final time before the transition is made?
8. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
(d) The new bride.
9. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
10. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
(a) Pilkings' interference.
(b) Olunde's reaction.
(c) His bride.
(d) His own failure to transition.
11. How many worlds are there in the spirit of the Yoruban race?
12. In addition to the Yoruban religion, there are several references made to this particular religion throughout the play.
13. Who must Elesin Oba tell if he believes he is not able to make the transition?
(a) The king's horse.
(b) The king's dog.
(c) The praise-singer.
(d) The praise-singer's horse.
14. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) That the British will take over their culture.
(b) That Elesin will not die.
(c) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
(d) The king will be stuck in transition.
15. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) A hymn.
(b) They don't sing at all.
(c) A dirge.
(d) A wedding song.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Elesin Oba by the last scene of the play?
2. Which character sits beside Elesin's cell?
3. For Olunde and the Yoruban people, seeing Elesin alive means that they are seeing the _____________ of the Yoruban world.
4. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
5. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)