|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is mentioned throughout the text. It is a delicacy of crushed melon seeds.
2. Which word best describes the Prince's reaction to Jane and Pilkings' costumes?
3. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
4. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
(a) His bride.
(b) Olunde's reaction.
(c) His own failure to transition.
(d) Pilkings' interference.
5. What is a masque, as stated within the text?
(a) A British festival.
(b) Costumed dance.
(c) A Yoruban death ritual.
(d) A Yoruban wedding.
6. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
(a) The mother of the market.
(b) The youngest son.
(c) The eldest son.
(d) The king's horseman.
7. What animal must not be seen without his feathers, as stated by the praise-singer in the last scene of the play?
(d) Not-I bird.
8. To whom does Soyinka dedicate this play?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Yoruban people.
(c) Elesin Oba.
(d) His father.
9. Olunde admires the self-sacrificial British soldiers of which war?
(a) The War of 1812.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
10. What does Pilkings say Olunde is coming to get from Elesin before he leaves?
(a) Elesin's identity.
(b) He is coming to say goodbye.
(c) Elesin's blessing.
(d) Elesin's bride.
11. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) That the British will take over their culture.
(b) That Elesin will not die.
(c) The king will be stuck in transition.
(d) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
12. What connects Elesin's handcuffs together?
(c) A rope.
(d) A chain.
13. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
14. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
15. What does Iyaloja tell Elesin's bride that she must think of by the end of the play?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her child.
(d) Her future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color sash does Elesin Oba wear?
2. How many shells are there to the soul of a man?
3. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
4. What animal does Elesin use to describe Pilkings' guards?
5. This character is portrayed as being slightly more understanding of Yoruban cultures.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)