|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Elesin use repeatedly to describe Pilkings?
(a) White ghost.
(b) White one.
(c) White man.
(d) Evil one.
2. This character is portrayed as being slightly more understanding of Yoruban cultures.
3. Who is the Residency's club secretary?
(a) The Resident.
4. What does Iyaloja tell Elesin's bride that she must think of by the end of the play?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her child.
(d) Her future.
5. In addition to the Yoruban religion, there are several references made to this particular religion throughout the play.
6. What animal does Elesin use to describe Pilkings' guards?
7. What is the Yoruban term for an ancestral masquerade?
8. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
9. Who joins the praise-singer in his praises of Elesin in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) The new bride.
10. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
(a) A court jester.
(b) He will not dress up.
(c) A knight.
(d) A coat of arms.
11. Which term is used by the women of the market several times while in an argument with Amusa?
(a) My love.
(c) My father.
(d) My mother.
12. What do the women of the market carry as they enter Elesin's cell?
(a) A pyre.
(b) A coffin.
13. What is a masque, as stated within the text?
(a) A Yoruban death ritual.
(b) A British festival.
(c) A Yoruban wedding.
(d) Costumed dance.
14. Who must Elesin Oba tell if he believes he is not able to make the transition?
(a) The king's horse.
(b) The praise-singer.
(c) The king's dog.
(d) The praise-singer's horse.
15. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
(a) Pilkings' interference.
(b) His own failure to transition.
(c) Olunde's reaction.
(d) His bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is NOT present in the last scene of the play?
2. What does Elesin's bride pour over his eyelids in the last scene of the play?
3. How does Olunde commit suicide?
4. What type of clothes does Amusa wear, as described by another character?
5. How many shells are there to the soul of a man?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)