|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which color is the one who makes the transition dressed, as can be seen in the last scene of the play?
2. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Joseph's father.
(c) Amusa's father.
3. How long do pre-burial ceremonies last in the Yoruban world?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. Where will the ball be taking place?
(a) Outside at the marketplace.
(b) Under the stars.
(c) The colonial residency.
(d) Pilkings' house.
5. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
6. What type of material makes up Elesin's handcuffs?
7. What do the women of the market sing while Elesin begins to make the transition?
(a) They don't sing at all.
(b) A hymn.
(c) A dirge.
(d) A wedding song.
8. What is the Yoruban term for a royal drum?
9. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
(a) He will not dress up.
(b) A court jester.
(c) A coat of arms.
(d) A knight.
10. What type of dance do the British begin with in Act 1, Scene 4?
11. How old is Elesin Oba by the last scene of the play?
(c) Not stated.
12. According to Olunde, the English do not _______________ what they don't understand.
(d) Attempt to understand.
13. Who is the Residency's club secretary?
(d) The Resident.
14. The Yoruba is a ___________ society, as stated within the text.
15. Who sits inside Elesin's cell with him?
(b) Two guards.
(c) His bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has elapsed since Olunde received word of the king's death, as stated in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. How does Amusa react to the taunting women in the market in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Which word best describes how Amusa is feeling when he arrives at the Yoruban village in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Which century of dress are the Europeans wearing at the ball, as explained in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Who is in charge of laying Elesin's shrouds?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)