|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many worlds are there in the spirit of the Yoruban race?
2. What do the women of the market carry as they enter Elesin's cell?
(b) A pyre.
(c) A coffin.
3. The drum heard in Act 1, Scene 3 signifies that the king's _____________ has been killed.
4. Which type of musical instrument remains prominent throughout the play?
5. What animal must not be seen without his feathers, as stated by the praise-singer in the last scene of the play?
(d) Not-I bird.
6. What is Amusa's character ruled by, as can be seen toward the middle of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What type of material makes up Elesin's handcuffs?
8. Which term is used by the women of the market several times while in an argument with Amusa?
(a) My love.
(b) My father.
(d) My mother.
9. Who is the Master of Death, according to "Death and the king's horseman"?
10. Who is the Residency's club secretary?
(a) The Resident.
11. How does Amusa react to the taunting women in the market in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He cries.
(b) He retreats.
(c) He becomes consumed in anger.
(d) He fights.
12. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
(a) He will not dress up.
(b) A coat of arms.
(c) A knight.
(d) A court jester.
13. Which word best describes the Prince's reaction to Jane and Pilkings' costumes?
14. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
15. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) The king will be stuck in transition.
(b) That the British will take over their culture.
(c) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
(d) That Elesin will not die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the quotation stated by Jane in Act 1, Scene 4. "The kind of person you feel should be a poet munching _____________ in Bloomsbury".
2. Who is in charge of laying Elesin's shrouds?
3. Which word best describes how Amusa is feeling when he arrives at the Yoruban village in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Pilkings believes that Elesin is upset by _____________.
5. Whose help does Olunde ask for when he hears of Pilkings interference?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)