|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Olunde's reaction to his father's death?
2. What animal must not be seen without his feathers, as stated by the praise-singer in the last scene of the play?
(d) Not-I bird.
3. What is the resident concentrating on when he sees the British officers?
(a) Their uniforms.
(b) Their skin.
(c) The fact that they aren't wearing costumes.
(d) The issue at hand.
4. Which character sits beside Elesin's cell?
(c) His bride.
5. What is the floor of the market covered with after Elesin's wedding?
6. What time is it when Pilkings finally decides to go after Elesin?
(a) 9:00 pm.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 pm.
7. Who do the women of the market mockingly claim built the road that runs through it in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Joseph's father.
(d) Amusa's father.
8. What type of drumming beat signifies death in the Yoruban world?
(d) No drumming.
9. How does Amusa react to the taunting women in the market in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He cries.
(b) He retreats.
(c) He fights.
(d) He becomes consumed in anger.
10. According to Yoruban custom, who is not supposed to travel away from Yoruban land?
(a) The mother of the market.
(b) The youngest son.
(c) The king's horseman.
(d) The eldest son.
11. What animal does Elesin use to describe Pilkings' guards?
12. Which position is the soldier in that Olunde admires?
(a) Foot soldier.
13. What is the greatest fear of the Yoruban people?
(a) The king will be stuck in transition.
(b) That the British will take over their culture.
(c) That Elesin will not die.
(d) That Olunde will not retrun from England.
14. Throughout the play there is a correlation between the death of the power of religion as well as the death of __________.
(b) The young.
15. What is the Yoruban word for a rich, woven cloth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pilkings believes that the Prince will come to the dance dressed as ____________.
2. Who is the Residency's club secretary?
3. What is the Yoruban term for a royal drum?
4. What does Jane call the scene of splendor as Olunde gestures toward it during their argument?
5. How old is Elesin Oba by the last scene of the play?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)