|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women of the market threaten to remove from Amusa if he refuses to leave?
(a) His knickers.
(b) His coat.
(c) His pants.
(d) His hat.
2. How many deaths occur within the story?
3. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
4. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) Elesin's soul.
(b) A god.
(c) Elesin's best friend.
(d) Elesin's conscience.
5. Where was the author educated?
6. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
(a) Season of Anatomy.
(b) Season of Colonialism.
(c) Equal Seasons.
(d) The Four Seasons.
7. Soyinka's story is based upon ______.
(a) Historical events.
(b) Creation myths of Nigeria.
(c) Factual information.
(d) Yoruban myth.
8. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
9. Where is most of the play set?
(a) Elesin's palace.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The ball.
10. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
(a) The wedding night.
(b) The young woman's approval.
(c) Her own failed marriage.
(d) A baby.
11. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
(d) Not stated.
12. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
13. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
14. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(d) The life.
15. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
2. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
3. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
4. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
5. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)