|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oyo is a _______________.
2. In which country did the original story take place?
3. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
(b) The palace.
(c) His new wife.
(d) The market.
4. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(c) Her family.
(d) Women only.
5. Which character acts as the voice of reason throughout the play?
6. To which religion does Amusa belong?
7. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
8. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
9. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. How many deaths occur within the story?
11. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) Fine wine.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A bed of roses.
(d) Finer cloth.
12. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
13. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
14. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
(a) The assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
(b) During the U.S. occupancy of the Philippines.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
15. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
2. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
3. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
4. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
5. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)