|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose home does the second scene take place?
(b) The Pilkings'.
(d) The resident of the prince.
2. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) He is not.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They are cousins.
3. What is another name for the praise-singer?
4. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
(a) Not stated.
5. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) Elesin's conscience.
(b) A god.
(c) Elesin's soul.
(d) Elesin's best friend.
6. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(a) The life.
7. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
(d) Not stated.
8. To which religion does Amusa belong?
9. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
10. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
11. What drives the action in the Yoruban world?
(a) The king.
(b) Elesin Oba.
(c) The gods.
12. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
13. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) Fine wine.
(b) A bed of roses.
(c) Finer cloth.
(d) A prostitute.
14. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
(a) During the U.S. occupancy of the Philippines.
(b) World War I.
(c) The assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
(d) World War II.
15. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, Elesin and the praise-singer have a discussion where Elesin compares him to a jealous _______.
2. Oyo is a _______________.
3. Where was the author educated?
4. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
5. Which character in the play would the author, Soyinka, most likely be comparable to?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)