|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Soyinka's story is based upon ______.
(a) Yoruban myth.
(b) Creation myths of Nigeria.
(c) Factual information.
(d) Historical events.
2. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
3. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
(a) A dance.
(b) A masque.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) An induction ceremony.
4. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
(a) He sends it in code.
(b) He tells him.
(c) He sends another sergeant.
(d) He writes it.
5. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
(a) Cows being milked.
(b) Mats being folded.
(c) Baskets being carried.
(d) Stalls being emptied.
6. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) A god.
(b) Elesin's conscience.
(c) Elesin's best friend.
(d) Elesin's soul.
7. Which character acts as the voice of reason throughout the play?
8. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
9. What are Jane and Pilkings wearing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(c) Fancy clothes.
10. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
11. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Too much food.
(c) The British.
12. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) When the women cover him in damask.
(b) Wind blows cold from behind.
(c) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(d) The shedding of the tail.
13. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
(a) Season of Anatomy.
(b) Season of Colonialism.
(c) Equal Seasons.
(d) The Four Seasons.
14. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
(a) Strange instrumentation.
15. Where does Elesin wish to make the transition?
(a) Out in the wilderness.
(b) The market.
(c) His home.
(d) The palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, Elesin and the praise-singer have a discussion where Elesin compares him to a jealous _______.
2. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
3. What is another name for the praise-singer?
4. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
5. What drives the action in the Yoruban world?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)