|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
2. How many kingdoms are the Yoruba divided into?
(c) Not stated.
3. How many deaths occur within the story?
4. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Too much food.
(b) The British.
5. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
(a) Coming together.
6. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
(a) The wedding night.
(b) Her own failed marriage.
(c) A baby.
(d) The young woman's approval.
7. What does "Oba" mean?
(a) Chosen one.
8. Which of the following is NOT included in things that Elesin loves, as described in the first scene of the play?
(a) Red wine.
(b) Fine cloth.
(d) Rich food.
9. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) Wind blows cold from behind.
(b) The shedding of the tail.
(c) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(d) When the women cover him in damask.
10. What is proof of the new bride's virginity?
(a) White flowers.
(b) The bridal tent.
(c) A ring.
(d) Velvet cloth.
11. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
12. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) He is not.
(d) They are cousins.
13. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
14. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
(a) Iambic pentameter.
(c) Heroic couplets.
(d) Free verse.
15. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(d) The life.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
2. "Death and the King's Horseman" is a story of ____________________ rather than British colonization.
3. Where does Elesin wish to make the transition?
4. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
5. What is the author's ethnic background?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)