|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
2. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
(a) During the U.S. occupancy of the Philippines.
(b) The assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
3. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
4. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
(a) His bride.
(b) His horseman.
(c) A praise-singer.
(d) His servant.
5. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
6. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
(b) Rich food.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Fine cloth.
7. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
8. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
9. A parallel can be seen between Pilkings and which other character in the play?
(b) The Prince.
10. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
(a) Elesin's conscience.
(b) Elesin's best friend.
(c) Elesin's soul.
(d) A god.
11. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
(c) Stream of consciousness.
(d) Short story.
12. Who do the Pilkings speak to for more insight to Amusa's report in Act 1, Scene 2?
13. The masks in Act 1, Scene 2, signify what?
(d) The underworld.
14. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
15. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
2. Elesin's love and appreciation for life is ________________ for his community.
3. To which religion does Amusa belong?
4. The British had several Yoruban religious practices ______________.
5. What does Joseph hear in Act 1, Scene 2 that confuses him?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)