|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(c) Ritual murder.
2. How many years has Olunde been in school thus far, as stated within the conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do the women of the market threaten to remove from Amusa if he refuses to leave?
(a) His pants.
(b) His hat.
(c) His coat.
(d) His knickers.
4. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
(a) A masque.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) An induction ceremony.
(d) A dance.
5. Where does Pilkings instruct Amusa to lock Elesin up in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A restricted cell.
(c) His study.
(d) His home.
6. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
7. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(a) Women only.
(d) Her family.
8. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(d) Scold him.
9. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
(d) The life.
10. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
11. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
12. As stated by the praise-singer in the play, what does a man forget when he approaches a brand new bride?
(a) His children.
(b) The mother of his children.
(c) The Yoruban people.
13. Which dance do Jane and Pilkings dance to in the second scene of the play?
14. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
(b) The palace.
(c) His new wife.
(d) The market.
15. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
(a) Free verse.
(b) Heroic couplets.
(c) Iambic pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
2. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
3. In which country did the original story take place?
4. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
5. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)