|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for the praise-singer?
2. Which word best describes Jane's feelings toward the Yoruban traditions and customs, according to the text?
3. Where was the author educated?
4. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
5. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
(a) Coming together.
6. Soyinka's story is based upon ______.
(a) Creation myths of Nigeria.
(b) Factual information.
(c) Yoruban myth.
(d) Historical events.
7. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
8. Where do the women of the market claim that the "official business" is happening?
(a) The bridal tent.
(b) The market.
(c) At the ball.
(d) At the palace.
9. The British had several Yoruban religious practices ______________.
(a) Under contract.
(c) Within the city limits.
10. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) Wind blows cold from behind.
(b) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(c) When the women cover him in damask.
(d) The shedding of the tail.
11. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
12. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(c) Power struggle.
13. What do the women of the market threaten to remove from Amusa if he refuses to leave?
(a) His pants.
(b) His knickers.
(c) His coat.
(d) His hat.
14. Oyo was the ____________ kingdom in Nigeria.
15. Which of the following is NOT included in things that Elesin loves, as described in the first scene of the play?
(a) Red wine.
(b) Fine cloth.
(d) Rich food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
2. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
3. In whose home does the second scene take place?
4. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
5. What does Iyaloja focus on with Elesin's request for a young wife?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)