|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
2. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
3. Where is most of the play set?
(a) Elesin's palace.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The ball.
(d) The marketplace.
4. Who do the Pilkings speak to for more insight to Amusa's report in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(c) The British.
(d) Too much food.
6. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(a) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
(b) Without interval.
(c) Large breaks between scenes.
7. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Elesin's character?
8. What are Jane and Pilkings wearing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Fancy clothes.
9. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
10. A parallel can be seen between Pilkings and which other character in the play?
(b) The Prince.
11. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
12. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) Finer cloth.
(b) A bed of roses.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) Fine wine.
13. In whose home does the second scene take place?
(a) The Pilkings'.
(c) The resident of the prince.
14. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
15. Which character is portrayed as understanding throughout the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
2. What does "Oba" mean?
3. The characters in the play are _________________.
4. Where does Elesin wish to make the transition?
5. At which setting does the play open?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)