|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Pilkings speak to for more insight to Amusa's report in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(b) Power struggle.
3. What does Elesin claim his response will NOT be when death comes for him?
(a) "Please do not take me".
(c) "Not I".
(d) "Not me".
4. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(c) Scold him.
5. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
(b) Rich food.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Fine cloth.
6. During what major event did Soyinka decide to set her play around?
(a) The assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
(b) During the U.S. occupancy of the Philippines.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
7. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) Wind blows cold from behind.
(b) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(c) The shedding of the tail.
(d) When the women cover him in damask.
8. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(b) Her family.
(c) Women only.
9. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(a) Without interval.
(b) Large breaks between scenes.
(d) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
10. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
11. In which country did the original story take place?
12. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
(a) Iyaloja's brother.
(c) Iyaloja's son.
13. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
14. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(d) Ritual murder.
15. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the quotation by Elesin Oba from Act 1, Scene 1. "This market is my roost. When I come among the women I am a(n) ____________ with a hundred mothers."
2. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
3. What does "Oba" mean?
4. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
5. Oyo is a _______________.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)