|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the author educated?
2. What are Jane and Pilkings wearing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(c) Fancy clothes.
3. What does Pilkings believe Elesin's duty to be?
(d) Ritual murder.
4. How many years has Olunde been in school thus far, as stated within the conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does "Oba" mean?
(a) Chosen one.
6. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
7. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(b) Her family.
(d) Women only.
8. In Yoruban culture, which character must lead the king throughout the afterlife?
(a) His servant.
(b) His horseman.
(c) His bride.
(d) A praise-singer.
9. How many deaths occur within the story?
10. In whose home does the second scene take place?
(a) The Pilkings'.
(c) The resident of the prince.
11. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
(a) Scold him.
12. Who is supposed to make an important appearance later in the evening?
(a) The Prince of England.
(b) Elesin Oba.
(d) The Yoruban King.
13. What do the women of the market claim took Olunde away?
(a) A ship.
(b) The British.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The gods.
14. Whom does Soyinka blame for the tragedy of the story?
(a) The British.
(b) Elesin Oba.
(c) The French.
15. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
2. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
3. Finish the quotation by Elesin Oba from Act 1, Scene 1. "This market is my roost. When I come among the women I am a(n) ____________ with a hundred mothers."
4. .The praise-singer could also be seen as _______________.
5. What is proof of the new bride's virginity?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)