|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elesin doing when he realizes that his last day is almost over?
2. Oyo is a _______________.
3. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
4. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Which dance do Jane and Pilkings dance to in the second scene of the play?
6. Who is responsible if the Yoruban world were to fall off course?
(a) The King's Horseman.
(b) The mother of the market.
(c) The praise-singer.
(d) The British.
7. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
8. What does "Oba" mean?
(c) Chosen one.
9. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
(b) Free verse.
(c) Iambic pentameter.
(d) Heroic couplets.
10. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
(a) The Four Seasons.
(b) Equal Seasons.
(c) Season of Anatomy.
(d) Season of Colonialism.
11. How many years has Olunde been in school thus far, as stated within the conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
12. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
13. In which country did the original story take place?
14. Whom does Elesin want by his side at his death?
(a) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) The praise-singer.
15. Where is most of the play set?
(a) The ball.
(b) Elesin's palace.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) The cellar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
2. At what type of school is Olunde studying?
3. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
5. What is another name for the praise-singer?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)