|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
2. What do the women of the market claim took Olunde away?
(a) The British.
(b) The gods.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A ship.
3. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(b) Power struggle.
4. Iyaloja works to enforce what is good for __________.
(a) Women only.
(c) Her family.
5. Where was the author educated?
6. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
(b) Coming together.
7. What is it that Elesin craves before his death?
(a) Finer cloth.
(b) A bed of roses.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) Fine wine.
8. Oyo is a _______________.
9. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
(a) The other world.
(c) The other side.
(d) The underworld.
10. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
(a) He sends it in code.
(b) He writes it.
(c) He tells him.
(d) He sends another sergeant.
11. Elesin refers to the market place as his home of _____________.
12. As stated by the praise-singer in the play, what does a man forget when he approaches a brand new bride?
(a) The mother of his children.
(b) The Yoruban people.
(c) His children.
13. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
(a) The market.
(c) His new wife.
(d) The palace.
14. This term best describes Elesin's reaction/feeling toward Iyaloja's response after Elesin requests a wife.
15. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Death and the King's Horseman" is a story of ____________________ rather than British colonization.
2. Which of the following is NOT included in things that Elesin loves, as described in the first scene of the play?
3. How many deaths occur within the story?
4. At which setting does the play open?
5. What is proof of the new bride's virginity?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)