|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which genre of literature does Soyinka's work fall under?
2. Which literary medium does Soyinka's work fall under?
(b) Stream of consciousness.
(c) Short story.
3. Finish the quotation by Elesin Oba from Act 1, Scene 1. "This market is my roost. When I come among the women I am a(n) ____________ with a hundred mothers."
4. The praise singer can be seen as a symbol of ________________.
5. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
6. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(a) Without interval.
(b) Large breaks between scenes.
(c) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, Jane discusses how calling holy water "nonsense" would offend whom?
(a) A Muslim.
(d) A Roman Catholic.
8. What does Elesin claim is the center of his life?
(b) The palace.
(c) His new wife.
(d) The market.
9. Which character is portrayed as understanding throughout the play?
10. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
11. What drives the action in the Yoruban world?
(b) Elesin Oba.
(c) The king.
(d) The gods.
12. According to the praise-singer, what must happen for the fowl to know his true friends?
(a) The cockerel hides its feathers.
(b) The shedding of the tail.
(c) Wind blows cold from behind.
(d) When the women cover him in damask.
13. As stated by the praise-singer in the play, what does a man forget when he approaches a brand new bride?
(b) His children.
(c) The Yoruban people.
(d) The mother of his children.
14. Which of the following actions is NOT being performed at the beginning of the play?
(a) Stalls being emptied.
(b) Mats being folded.
(c) Cows being milked.
(d) Baskets being carried.
15. Which dance do Jane and Pilkings dance to in the second scene of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
2. Which other nationality has also done an adaptation of this play by medium of film, as explained in the author's note?
3. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT introduced in the first scene of the play?
5. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)