|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oyo is a _______________.
2. What is the name of Soyinka's novel as stated in the author's note?
(a) Season of Colonialism.
(b) The Four Seasons.
(c) Equal Seasons.
(d) Season of Anatomy.
3. The masks in Act 1, Scene 2, signify what?
(d) The underworld.
4. In what way is Amusa related to Elesin?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) He is not.
(d) They are friends.
5. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(a) Power struggle.
6. Which word best describes Iyaloja's feelings upon hearing that Elesin wishes to take a bride, according to the text?
7. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
8. What event is Pilkings excited about attending?
(a) An induction ceremony.
(b) A masque.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) A dance.
9. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
(b) Iambic pentameter.
(c) Heroic couplets.
(d) Free verse.
10. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
(a) Iyaloja's brother.
(d) Iyaloja's son.
11. What does Elesin claim his response will NOT be when death comes for him?
(a) "Please do not take me".
(b) "Not I".
(d) "Not me".
12. Who is responsible if the Yoruban world were to fall off course?
(a) The British.
(b) The mother of the market.
(c) The praise-singer.
(d) The King's Horseman.
13. Jane influences Pilkings through ____________.
14. Which of the following is NOT included in things that Elesin loves, as described in the first scene of the play?
(b) Fine cloth.
(c) Rich food.
(d) Red wine.
15. How does Amusa give his report to Officer Pilkings?
(a) He writes it.
(b) He tells him.
(c) He sends it in code.
(d) He sends another sergeant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
2. What type of device plays the music in the Pilkings' home in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do the women of the market gain possession of in their fight with the British officers?
4. How many deaths occur within the story?
5. What is Olunde's suicide weapon as stated in the author's note?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)