|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what style is the dialogue of the play written?
(b) Free verse.
(c) Heroic couplets.
(d) Iambic pentameter.
2. What phrase do Elesin and the praise-singer use to describe the afterlife?
(b) The underworld.
(c) The other world.
(d) The other side.
3. The author states that this story illustrates a ____________________ between two cultures.
(a) Coming together.
4. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(c) Power struggle.
5. The characters in the play are _________________.
(a) Based on Yoruban heros.
(b) Historical characters.
(d) Soyinka's creations.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Elesin's new bride betrothed?
2. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
3. In which country did the original story take place?
4. The messenger should be denied _______ he asks for.
5. What is the object that distracts Elesin offstage in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play?
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)