|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Soyinka, what first needs to exist before there can be a clash between two cultures?
(d) Power struggle.
2. In regards to time, how should the play be performed?
(a) Without interval.
(c) Following the Yoruban time schedule.
(d) Large breaks between scenes.
3. Which character is portrayed as understanding throughout the play?
4. At which setting does the play open?
(a) The river.
(b) The palace.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) The British camp.
5. In the author's note, Soyinka states that Elesin Oba is the _____________ in the eyes of the Yoruban people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence. The British involvement in this story is ______________.
2. The author's note primarily serves to inform all except which of the following?
3. What does Elesin do in response to the praise-singer's warnings?
4. The praise-singer warns Elesin about being spoiled by what, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In which year did the actual occurrence described in the play take place?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)