|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
2. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
3. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
4. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
5. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)