|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
2. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
3. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
4. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
5. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 2
Is there a reason Tolstoy does not give a name to Ivan's disease? How does the unnamed disease relate to the central themes? Why would Tolstoy not name the disease that kills Ivan?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)