|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan do at his wife's suggestion?
3. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
4. What has Ivan stopped doing?
5. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)