|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
2. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
3. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
5. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
Essay Topic 2
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in Ivan's dying and death? Support your answer. Does Ivan welcome religion as a comfort while he is dying? Does Ivan scorn religion because he blames God for his death? Does Ivan go along with religious rituals to please his wife as he's gone along throughout his life doing things to please others?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)