|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
2. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
3. How do most people act toward Ivan?
4. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
5. In Chapter 8, Ivan is angry with whom?
Essay Topic 1
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)