|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan do at his wife's suggestion?
3. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
5. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)