|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What broader concept about life does Ivan come to see once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
2. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
3. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
4. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
5. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What point-of-view does Tolstoy use in writing "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Why does this point-of-view better serve Tolstoy's purpose(s) for writing the novel? How does this point-of-view get Tolstoy's themes across? What tone comes from Tolstoy using this point-of-view?
Essay Topic 3
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)