|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
2. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
3. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
4. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
5. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a reason Tolstoy does not give a name to Ivan's disease? How does the unnamed disease relate to the central themes? Why would Tolstoy not name the disease that kills Ivan?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)