|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
2. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
3. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
4. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
5. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ivan and Gerasim. What is the relationship and/or purpose of these two characters, specifically, in this novel?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)