|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
2. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
3. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
4. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
5. How much does Ivan sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
Essay Topic 2
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)