|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
2. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
3. How does Ivan react to his memories?
4. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
5. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ivan and Gerasim. What is the relationship and/or purpose of these two characters, specifically, in this novel?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)