|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
2. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
3. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
4. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
Essay Topic 2
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
Essay Topic 3
What is the discontinuity between how character's act and what they feel throughout the novel? Why is how they act different than how they feel?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)