|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
2. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
3. What does food become to Ivan?
4. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
5. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ivan and Gerasim. What is the relationship and/or purpose of these two characters, specifically, in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)