|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
2. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
3. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
4. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
5. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Tolstoy's own life represented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Include how he grew up, his early adulthood and what he came to believe later in his life. Be sure to include supporting evidence from the novel as well as independent biographical information about Leo Tolstoy.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 3
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)