|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
2. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
3. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
4. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
5. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Essay Topic 2
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)