|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
2. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
3. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
4. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
5. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)