|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
2. What does food become to Ivan?
3. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
4. What broader concept about life does Ivan come to see once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
5. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Essay Topic 2
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)