|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
2. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
3. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
4. How do most people act toward Ivan?
5. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ivan and Gerasim. What is the relationship and/or purpose of these two characters, specifically, in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)