|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
2. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
3. Which character is introduced in Chapter 7?
4. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan do at his wife's suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)