|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What broader concept about life does Ivan come to see once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
2. How do most people act toward Ivan?
3. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
4. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)