|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
2. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
3. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
4. What does Ivan think he was too quick to do?
5. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tolstoy's own life represented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Include how he grew up, his early adulthood and what he came to believe later in his life. Be sure to include supporting evidence from the novel as well as independent biographical information about Leo Tolstoy.
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)