|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
2. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
3. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
4. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
5. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
Essay Topic 2
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)