|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
2. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
3. What does Ivan ask of God?
4. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
5. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
Essay Topic 1
How is Tolstoy's own life represented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Include how he grew up, his early adulthood and what he came to believe later in his life. Be sure to include supporting evidence from the novel as well as independent biographical information about Leo Tolstoy.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)