|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
2. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
3. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
4. What does Ivan try to hang onto at the end of his life?
5. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)