Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
2. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
3. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
4. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
5. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
2. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
3. When could Ivan have changed his idea of the "good life" in Chapter 4?
4. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
5. What is ironic about the opening of Chapter 3 when it states that 1880 is "the hardest year of Ivan's life?"
6. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
7. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
8. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
9. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
10. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
Explain and support how "The Death of Ivan Ilych" can change a reader's ideas about how to live. Look at the theme of the novel to answer the question. How has Ivan lived? Does Tolstoy's writing endorse Ivan's way of life? Does the tone of Tolstoy's writing warn against the way Ivan has lived?
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)