|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Ivan Ilych like to play?
2. Is Ivan Ilych successful in understanding this?
3. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
4. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
5. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
2. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
3. Why do you think Ivan has more difficulty avoiding the thought of his death at work?
4. What is Ivan's feeling of suffocation symbolize in Chapter 12?
5. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
6. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
7. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
8. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
9. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
10. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)