|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan try to live?
2. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
3. Who is the main character?
4. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
5. Who did Peter Ivanovich meet first at Ivan Ilych's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
2. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
3. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
4. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
5. How does Ivan cope with the knowledge that he is dying?
6. How is it possible that Ivan hasn't seen how thin and yellow he looks until his brother-in-law arrives?
7. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
8. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
9. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
10. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
What point-of-view does Tolstoy use in writing "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Why does this point-of-view better serve Tolstoy's purpose(s) for writing the novel? How does this point-of-view get Tolstoy's themes across? What tone comes from Tolstoy using this point-of-view?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)