|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan try to live?
2. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
3. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
4. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
5. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
2. Why does Ivan experience only temporary relief when his family leaves in Chapter 8?
3. How does Ivan cope with the knowledge that he is dying?
4. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
5. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
6. Examine the author's other main theme of this story.
7. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
8. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
9. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
10. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
Essay Topic 3
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)