|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Chapter 2 discuss?
2. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
3. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
4. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
5. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
2. How does Gerasim view death?
3. How is it possible that Ivan hasn't seen how thin and yellow he looks until his brother-in-law arrives?
4. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
5. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
6. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
7. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
8. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
9. How is Ivan's experience of death in Chapter 2 similar to Peter Ivanovich's experience of death in Chapter 1?
10. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 2
What point-of-view does Tolstoy use in writing "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Why does this point-of-view better serve Tolstoy's purpose(s) for writing the novel? How does this point-of-view get Tolstoy's themes across? What tone comes from Tolstoy using this point-of-view?
Essay Topic 3
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)