|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
2. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
3. How much will Ivan Ilych's new job pay on moving expenses?
4. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
5. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
2. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
3. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
4. Describe Gerasim.
5. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
6. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
7. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
8. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
9. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
10. How is Ivan's experience of death in Chapter 2 similar to Peter Ivanovich's experience of death in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 2
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)