Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
2. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
3. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
4. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
5. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
2. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
3. When could Ivan have changed his idea of the "good life" in Chapter 4?
4. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
5. What is ironic about the opening of Chapter 3 when it states that 1880 is "the hardest year of Ivan's life?"
6. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
7. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
8. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
9. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
10. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 1
What does Ivan learn from his suffering and death? How does Tolstoy use suffering and death in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)