|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
2. Where does Ivan try to work?
3. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
4. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
5. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
2. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
3. What does Gerasim symbolize?
4. In Chapter 2, how does Ivan see his life and why does he think this?
5. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
6. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
7. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
8. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
9. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
10. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the form that foreshadowing takes in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is the foreshadowing accomplished? Is the foreshadowing subtle or obvious?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in Ivan's dying and death? Support your answer. Does Ivan welcome religion as a comfort while he is dying? Does Ivan scorn religion because he blames God for his death? Does Ivan go along with religious rituals to please his wife as he's gone along throughout his life doing things to please others?
This section contains 1,590 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)