|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
2. How does Ivan try to live?
3. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
4. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
5. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
2. How does Ivan cope with the knowledge that he is dying?
3. Is the author's definition of the "good life" the same as that of Ivan and his wife? Support your answer.
4. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
5. Discuss the irony in Ivan resenting his dying from something so trivial as falling off the step ladder.
6. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
7. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
8. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
9. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
10. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)