|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
2. How does Ivan try to live?
3. What are the symptoms that Ivan Ilych has?
4. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
5. When Peter Ivanovich encounters Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance, how to they look?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
2. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
3. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
4. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
5. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
6. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
7. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
8. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
9. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
10. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major themes ("We die as we live" or "What constitutes a good life?") and explain what is meant by that theme. How does Tolstoy convey this theme throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)