|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
2. What year is it in the novel?
3. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
4. Where does Ivan try to work?
5. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
2. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
3. How does Gerasim view death?
4. Why does Ivan fall into a profound depression?
5. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
6. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
7. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
8. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
9. How does the opium affect Ivan?
10. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)