|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
2. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
3. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
4. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
5. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
2. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
3. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
4. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
5. Why does Ivan experience only temporary relief when his family leaves in Chapter 8?
6. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
7. Explain how Ivan can be said to be in the depression stage of dying in Chapter 10.
8. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
9. How does Gerasim view death?
10. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is 19th century Russia presented in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" Be certain to support your claims by using text from the novel as well as independent sources that describe 19th century Russia.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)