|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
2. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
3. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
4. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
5. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
2. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
3. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
4. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
5. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
6. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
7. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
8. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
9. What does Gerasim symbolize?
10. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the "black sack" in Chapter 9. What could the black sack represent to Ivan? Why does Tolstoy use the metaphor of the "black sack?" How does Tolstoy use the metaphor? Do you think Tolstoy uses this metaphor effectively? Can you think of a more effective metaphor Tolstoy could have used to make his point clearer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
Choose several passages of good description from "The Death of Ivan Ilych" and explain how the descriptions help the reader to experience the events in the novel.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)