|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
2. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
3. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
4. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
5. Without the distraction of work, what happens to Ivan Ilych?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the author's other main theme of this story.
2. Why do Ivan's memories of the past make him feel the way they do?
3. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
4. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
5. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
6. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
7. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
8. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
9. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
10. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tolstoy choose to use the flashback technique in Chapter 1 when he begins the novel with the funeral? How does Tolstoy's use of this technique help to get the themes across?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)