|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
2. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
3. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
4. Where does Ivan try to work?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Ivan Ilych's professional title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gerasim.
2. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
3. Explain how Ivan can be said to be in the depression stage of dying in Chapter 10.
4. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
5. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
6. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
7. Discuss the irony in Ivan resenting his dying from something so trivial as falling off the step ladder.
8. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
9. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
10. When could Ivan have changed his idea of the "good life" in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How does Ivan's family deal with his suffering and death? Do they learn anything from this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2What is the discontinuity between how character's act and what they feel throughout the novel? Why is how they act different than how they feel?
Essay Topic 3Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)