|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor focus on?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
3. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
4. Who is the main character?
5. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
2. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
3. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
4. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
5. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
6. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
7. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
8. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
9. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
10. Discuss the irony in Ivan resenting his dying from something so trivial as falling off the step ladder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in Ivan's dying and death? Support your answer. Does Ivan welcome religion as a comfort while he is dying? Does Ivan scorn religion because he blames God for his death? Does Ivan go along with religious rituals to please his wife as he's gone along throughout his life doing things to please others?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Ivan goes through the five stages of dying. What emotions does he experience?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in "The Death of Ivan Ilych." How is irony used in novel? Does Tolstoy use one kind of irony more than another?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)