|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
2. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
3. What year is it in the novel?
4. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
5. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it possible that Ivan hasn't seen how thin and yellow he looks until his brother-in-law arrives?
2. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
3. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
4. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
5. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
6. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
7. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
8. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
9. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
10. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
Essay Topic 1
How does Ivan deal with life when it becomes disagreeable? Why does his method of dealing with life in this way ultimately fail?
Essay Topic 2
Is Gerasim's being a peasant significant in the novel? Does it affect how he sees the world and how his character develops?
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tolstoy choose "The Death of Ivan Ilych" as the title if he writes about Ivan's life? Is Tolstoy writing about more than just Ivan's physical death in the novel? How so?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)