|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Open his window.
(b) Eat something.
(c) Take some opium.
(d) Go to sleep.
2. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
(a) He wishes he could re-live them.
(b) The more there was that was good in life, the more life there was.
(c) The more of these distant memories he has than of recent times.
(d) He really has had a wonderful life.
3. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(b) Happily at home with his family.
(c) In memories of the past.
(d) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
4. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) On his sofa that he never leaves.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the doctor's back room.
(d) In the hospital.
5. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(b) Premature death.
(c) The hope of a church service.
(d) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
2. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
3. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
4. How much does Ivan sleep?
5. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)