|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(a) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(b) Vladimir Ivanich.
2. How does Ivan Ilych's view his life?
(a) As most ordinary.
(b) As exciting.
(c) Exactly the way he hoped it would be.
(d) As extraordinary.
3. Where does Ivan try to work?
(a) His study.
(b) The university nearby.
(c) He doesn't try to work.
(d) The law courts.
4. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
5. What year is it in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
2. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
3. When Peter Ivanovich encounters Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance, how to they look?
4. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
5. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
2. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
3. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
4. Describe Gerasim.
5. How is it possible that Ivan hasn't seen how thin and yellow he looks until his brother-in-law arrives?
6. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
7. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
8. How does the opium affect Ivan?
9. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
10. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)