|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(b) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
(c) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
(d) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
2. Who did Peter Ivanovich meet first at Ivan Ilych's house?
(a) Ivan Ilych.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
3. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
(a) He becomes close friends with the judge.
(b) He is unprepared for court.
(c) He becomes more and more ambitious.
(d) He misses several days.
4. What is Praskovya Fedorovna's relationship to the main character?
5. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
(a) That his daughter is marrying the wrong man.
(b) That his wife is truly beautiful.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he must write his memoirs before it's too late.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
3. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
4. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
5. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
2. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
3. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
4. How does Gerasim view death?
5. What does Gerasim symbolize?
6. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
7. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
8. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
9. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
10. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)