|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Ivan Ilych's professional title?
(a) Public Prosecutor.
(b) Civil Lawyer.
(c) District Attorney.
2. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
(a) He cannot believe he is dying so young.
(b) He doesn't want to leave his family.
(c) He somehow feels he is exempt from death.
(d) He knows he has done some terrible things in his life.
3. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
(b) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(c) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(d) He is an excellent dancer.
4. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
(a) In the town he'd been living in all his life.
(b) In Moscow.
(c) In Petersburg.
(d) In the town where his wife's brother lives.
5. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
(a) The law.
(b) Decorating his house.
(c) His family.
(d) To getting that promotion that he knows he deserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
2. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
3. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
4. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
5. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
2. Why do Ivan's memories of the past make him feel the way they do?
3. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
4. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
5. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
6. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
7. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
8. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
9. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
10. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)