|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
(c) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
2. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
(a) Of schoolboy age.
(b) Still in diapers.
(c) Of an elderly nature.
(d) Old enough to be driving.
3. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
(a) It allows him no action to take.
(b) That he will never see his new house fully decorated.
(c) The unbearable pain.
(d) That it will take him away from his family.
4. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
5. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Take his medicine.
(d) Go to his bed and rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
2. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
3. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
4. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
5. What does the doctor ignore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
2. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
3. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
4. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
5. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
6. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
7. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
8. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
9. How does Gerasim view death?
10. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)