|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
(a) The church.
(b) Ivan Ilych's house.
(c) The courtroom.
(d) The judge's chamber.
2. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
3. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(a) Decorating his house.
(b) Writing his memoirs.
(c) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
4. Who says, "death will come to everyone as God's will?"
(a) Ivan Ilych's son.
(b) Peter Ivanovich.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
5. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The summer of 1865.
(b) The day after he is not promoted.
(c) The following year.
(d) The summer of 1880.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Ivan Ilych's professional title?
2. What does Ivan Ilych try to understand?
3. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
4. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
5. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
2. Why do Ivan's memories of the past make him feel the way they do?
3. How does Gerasim view death?
4. Describe Gerasim.
5. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
6. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
7. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
8. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
9. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
10. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)