|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
(a) To serve the judicial system honorably.
(b) To be the best father to his children.
(c) To do whatever pleases his wife.
(d) To do whatever pleases those in authority.
2. When Peter Ivanovich encounters Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance, how to they look?
(a) Happy together.
(b) Ready to cry.
3. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
(b) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
(a) She becomes more loving than ever before toward Ivan.
(b) She avoids Ivan.
(c) She becomes melancholy.
(d) She behaves as if Ivan has created this illness to annoy and inconvenience her.
5. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
(a) He despairs continuously.
(b) He plans to stop his daughter's marriage.
(c) He starts finds a suitable book in which to write his memoirs.
(d) He spends more times with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
2. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
3. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
4. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
5. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
2. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
3. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
4. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
5. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
6. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
7. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
8. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
9. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
10. Why do you think Ivan has more difficulty avoiding the thought of his death at work?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)