|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
2. Who is the main character?
(a) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(b) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Ivan Ilych.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
3. What game does Ivan Ilych like to play?
4. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
(b) Take his medicine.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Go to his bed and rest.
5. What has happened to the main character?
(a) He has been newly wed.
(b) He has been promoted.
(c) He has just become a grandfather.
(d) He has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
2. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
3. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
4. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
5. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
2. Explain how Ivan can be said to be in the depression stage of dying in Chapter 10.
3. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
4. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
5. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
6. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
7. Is the author's definition of the "good life" the same as that of Ivan and his wife? Support your answer.
8. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
9. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
10. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)