|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Ivan Ilych successful in understanding this?
(a) No, he cannot.
(b) Yes, immediately.
(c) Yes, but it takes time to ponder.
(d) Yes, most of the time.
2. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
(a) To serve the judicial system honorably.
(b) To be the best father to his children.
(c) To do whatever pleases those in authority.
(d) To do whatever pleases his wife.
3. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
4. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) In the town where his wife's brother lives.
(c) In the town he'd been living in all his life.
(d) In Petersburg.
5. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
(a) Because the pain is too great.
(b) Because death intrudes his thoughts there, too.
(c) Because he's been away from work for too long.
(d) Because he isn't as interested in it as he used to be.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
2. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
3. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
4. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
5. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
2. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
3. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
4. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
5. How does the opium affect Ivan?
6. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
7. Why do Ivan's memories of the past make him feel the way they do?
8. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
9. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
10. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)