Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) 2 days later.
(b) 2 months later.
(c) 1 year later.
(d) 1 week later.
2. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
3. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
(b) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(c) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
(d) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
4. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(b) He is an excellent dancer.
(c) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(d) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
5. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) Condescension and disdain.
(b) Compassion and pity.
(c) Aloofness and indifference.
(d) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
2. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
3. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
4. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
5. Why is it ironic that Ivan resents that his death is trivial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
2. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
3. When could Ivan have changed his idea of the "good life" in Chapter 4?
4. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
5. What is ironic about the opening of Chapter 3 when it states that 1880 is "the hardest year of Ivan's life?"
6. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
7. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
8. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
9. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
10. What is the overarching theme of "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)