|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
2. Without the distraction of work, what happens to Ivan Ilych?
(a) He falls in love with another woman.
(b) He falls into a profound depression.
(c) He realizes how much he loves his wife.
(d) He discovers what is wrong with his life.
3. When does Ivan Ilych's pain worsen?
(a) In the morning after he wakes up.
(b) During the night.
(c) In the evening after dinner.
(d) When he is upset.
4. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
(a) He falls for the second time.
(b) He becomes dizzy and faints.
(c) He is relieved that he was finally able to admit it.
(d) Anger rises up inside him.
5. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
(b) He cries uncontrollable.
(c) He sleeps.
(d) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
2. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
3. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
4. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
5. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan experience only temporary relief when his family leaves in Chapter 8?
2. What does Gerasim symbolize?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Ivan see his life and why does he think this?
4. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan reveal about himself when he was younger, and what happened to it?
6. Why do you think Ivan has more difficulty avoiding the thought of his death at work?
7. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
8. Why does Ivan fall into a profound depression?
9. Examine the irony in Chapter 8.
10. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)