|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His doctor.
(d) His daughter.
2. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(b) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
(c) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
(d) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
3. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To his wife's brother's family.
(b) To America.
(c) To the seaside.
(d) To the countryside.
4. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
5. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
(a) He knows he has done some terrible things in his life.
(b) He cannot believe he is dying so young.
(c) He somehow feels he is exempt from death.
(d) He doesn't want to leave his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
2. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
3. What does Ivan Ilych hear down the hall?
4. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
5. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
2. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
3. Describe Gerasim.
4. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
5. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
6. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
7. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
8. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
9. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
10. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)