|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
(a) He becomes dizzy and faints.
(b) Anger rises up inside him.
(c) He is relieved that he was finally able to admit it.
(d) He falls for the second time.
2. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
(a) From Praskovya Fedorovna.
(b) From reading the newspaper.
(c) From a messager sent to tell him.
(d) From an announcement in the judge's chamber.
3. What does Ivan Ilych try to understand?
(a) How he could not have noticed his wife's beauty sooner.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) How to arrange his life's work in his memoirs.
(d) How his daughter could have accepted such a man's proposal of marriage.
4. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A judge.
5. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
(a) He plans to stop his daughter's marriage.
(b) He starts finds a suitable book in which to write his memoirs.
(c) He despairs continuously.
(d) He spends more times with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
2. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
3. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
4. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
5. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
2. What is Ivan's feeling of suffocation symbolize in Chapter 12?
3. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
4. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
5. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
6. What is the climax, or turning point, in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
7. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
8. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
9. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
10. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)