|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To America.
(b) To the countryside.
(c) To the seaside.
(d) To his wife's brother's family.
2. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
(a) It allows him no action to take.
(b) That it will take him away from his family.
(c) That he will never see his new house fully decorated.
(d) The unbearable pain.
3. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
4. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
(a) He thinks he is being foolish.
(b) He is too busy to think about it.
(c) To protect himself.
(d) He thinks he can still get well.
5. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
(a) His wife will live anywhere so long as her family is with her.
(b) They have the same taste.
(c) His wife does what Ivan tells her to do.
(d) His wife realizes Ivan has to find a house for the family quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's view his life?
3. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
4. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
5. What does the doctor focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
2. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
3. Examine the author's other main theme of this story.
4. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
5. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
6. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
7. What is the major conflict in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" What is a minor conflict in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
8. How does the opium affect Ivan?
9. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
10. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)