|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan try to live?
(b) With love in his heart toward all.
(c) Carefully, so as not to make his condition worse.
(d) As he lived before he was dying.
2. What game does Ivan Ilych like to play?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
(a) He buys a home near the sea.
(b) He tries harder to make her happy.
(c) He takes her on vacation.
(d) He carves out a life independent from her.
4. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
(a) To obtain a new job.
(b) Go to medical school.
(c) Celebrate his love for his wife with a grand ball.
(d) Divorce his wife.
5. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
(a) It is nothing to worry about.
(b) It is not as bad as he thought it was.
(c) It is very bad.
(d) Ivan doesn't guess at the doctor's prognosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
3. What is Praskovya Fedorovna's relationship to the main character?
4. What is wrong with Ivan Ilych's current job?
5. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan's wife represent to him? Why does Ivan keep sending his wife out of the room?
2. How does Ivan respond to not getting the promotion and why?
3. Discuss the irony in Ivan resenting his dying from something so trivial as falling off the step ladder.
4. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
5. Examine the irony in Chapter 8.
6. What does Gerasim symbolize?
7. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
8. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
9. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
10. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)