|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To America.
(b) To the countryside.
(c) To the seaside.
(d) To his wife's brother's family.
2. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan's wife.
(b) Ivan's brother-in-law.
(c) Ivan's doctor.
3. To what or whom does Peter Ivanovich refuse to yield to?
(a) Any depressing thoughts.
(b) The bicycle on the left.
(c) Ivan Ilych.
(d) The prosecution.
4. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) Anger and hostility.
(b) Optimism and joy.
(c) Conviction and righteousness.
(d) Reproach or warning.
5. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
(b) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
(c) To get his wife to listen to him.
(d) To continue working at his new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
2. When Peter Ivanovich encounters Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance, how to they look?
3. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
4. What does the doctor focus on?
5. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Ivan see his life and why does he think this?
2. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
3. What is ironic about the opening of Chapter 3 when it states that 1880 is "the hardest year of Ivan's life?"
4. What is the conflict that Ivan experiences in Chapter 8?
5. How does Ivan and his wife's idea of the "good life" extend into Chapter 4?
6. What explanation does Ivan come up with to explain why his past memories make him feel the way they do?
7. Why do Ivan's memories of the past make him feel the way they do?
8. When does Ivan's suffering begin to subside?
9. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
10. Discuss the irony in Ivan resenting his dying from something so trivial as falling off the step ladder.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)