|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
(b) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
(c) That he will die over something so trivial.
(d) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
2. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Take his medicine.
(b) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Go to his bed and rest.
3. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
(a) Decorating his house.
(b) His family.
(c) To getting that promotion that he knows he deserves.
(d) The law.
4. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) How old he really is.
(b) How healthy he now looks.
(c) How thin and yellow he has become.
(d) A tumor.
5. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
Short Answer Questions
1. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
3. Who says, "death will come to everyone as God's will?"
4. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
5. What year is it in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
2. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
3. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
4. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
5. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
6. Explain the mood in Chapter 6.
7. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
8. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
9. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
10. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)