|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The summer of 1880.
(b) The summer of 1865.
(c) The day after he is not promoted.
(d) The following year.
2. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because his wife can go out as usual.
(b) Because he is feeling better already.
(c) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(d) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
3. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
4. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(b) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
(c) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(d) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
5. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
(c) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much will Ivan Ilych's new job pay on moving expenses?
2. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
3. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
4. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
5. When does Ivan Ilych's pain worsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Ivan's wife and Gerasim in Chapter 8.
2. Describe Ivan's appearance in Chapter 5.
3. Why do Ivan's wife and his doctor give him opium?
4. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
5. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
6. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
7. Explain how Ivan can be said to be in the depression stage of dying in Chapter 10.
8. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
9. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
10. Why does Ivan experience only temporary relief when his family leaves in Chapter 8?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)