|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) We die as we live.
(b) Without family we are nothing.
(c) Leave the curtain the way it is.
(d) Working too hard can kill you.
2. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
(b) Condescension and disdain.
(c) Compassion and pity.
(d) Aloofness and indifference.
3. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(b) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(c) Because he is feeling better already.
(d) Because his wife can go out as usual.
4. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(b) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
(c) When he bought his new house.
(d) When he went back to work.
5. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
(b) Ivan tells his wife.
(c) Ivan begins to cry.
(d) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
2. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
3. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
4. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
5. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Initially, how did Ivan react to this self-revelation in Chapter 5?
2. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
3. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
4. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
5. Discuss how Ivan's memories of the past make him feel.
6. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
7. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
8. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
9. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
10. Ivan's realization about himself in Chapter 11prompts him to discover something about himself. What does he discover and how does it affect him?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)