|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
(a) She becomes melancholy.
(b) She becomes more loving than ever before toward Ivan.
(c) She behaves as if Ivan has created this illness to annoy and inconvenience her.
(d) She avoids Ivan.
2. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) His friends.
3. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
(a) Alienation of his children.
(b) Increasing levels of power at work.
(c) Tension between he and his wife.
(d) Terrible headaches.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
(a) He becomes close friends with the judge.
(b) He misses several days.
(c) He becomes more and more ambitious.
(d) He is unprepared for court.
5. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Take his medicine.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
(d) Go to his bed and rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor ignore?
2. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
3. Why does Ivan Ilych marry?
4. Where does Ivan try to work?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Ivan Ilych's professional title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify the crisis for Ivan in Chapter 5.
2. Describe how Ivan's condition is affecting him in Chapter 7.
3. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
4. How does Gerasim view death?
5. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
6. Why is Ivan so upset that he didn't get the promotion?
7. Explain how Ivan can be said to be in the depression stage of dying in Chapter 10.
8. What does Ivan's self-revelation turn into?
9. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
10. What does Ivan discover about his method of coping in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)