|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
2. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he went back to work.
(b) When he bought his new house.
(c) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(d) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
3. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
(a) It is not as bad as he thought it was.
(b) Ivan doesn't guess at the doctor's prognosis.
(c) It is nothing to worry about.
(d) It is very bad.
4. Is Ivan Ilych in denial about his condition?
(a) No, he realizes he is going to die and is getting his will in order.
(b) Yes, and his family is trying to convince him how serious his condition is.
(c) Yes, though his protective shield is starting to crack.
(d) Yes, he refuses to accept the seriousness of his condition.
5. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(b) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(c) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(d) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
2. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
3. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
4. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
5. What is Praskovya Fedorovna's relationship to the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gerasim.
2. Describe Ivan's realization in Chapter 9.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan reveal about himself when he was younger, and what happened to it?
4. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
5. What is the major conflict in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?" What is a minor conflict in "The Death of Ivan Ilych?"
6. How does Gerasim view death?
7. At the moment Ivan admits to himself that he is dying, how does he feel toward his family?
8. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
9. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Chapter 7.
10. Describe how Ivan is torn in Chapter 9 and what affect this has on him?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)