|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
(a) He becomes increasingly irritable.
(b) He decides to stay in bed all day.
(c) He becomes delirious.
(d) He begs the doctor for medication to releave the pain.
2. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To continue working at his new job.
(b) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
(c) To get his wife to listen to him.
(d) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
3. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
(a) Ivan Ilych's son.
(b) Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance.
(c) Peter Ivanovich.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
4. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
(a) 17 years ago.
(b) 20 years ago.
(c) So long ago he can't remember.
(d) 6 years ago.
5. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
2. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
3. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
4. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
5. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ivan and others' initial response to his illness are classic examples of the denial stage of dying.
2. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
3. What is ironic about the opening of Chapter 3 when it states that 1880 is "the hardest year of Ivan's life?"
4. How does Ivan make his pain worse?
5. Why does Ivan fall into a profound depression?
6. How is Ivan characterized in Chapter 3?
7. Is the author's definition of the "good life" the same as that of Ivan and his wife? Support your answer.
8. How does the doctor's professional air parallel Ivan's attitude at work?
9. What does Ivan stop doing in Chapter 11?
10. Describe Gerasim.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)