|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(a) Ivan's wife.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Ivan's daughter.
2. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(b) Beg forgiveness.
(d) Groan aloud.
3. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Eat something.
(b) Take some opium.
(c) Open his window.
(d) Go to sleep.
4. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) Because he does many painful tests.
(b) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
(c) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
(d) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
5. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) Living to see his daughter married.
(c) Murdering his wife.
(d) The idea that he has lived wrongly.
6. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
(a) That Ivan stop pitying himself.
(b) That the windows in Ivan's room be opened to let the fresh air in.
(c) A visit from a celebrated specialist.
(d) Everyone to leave Ivan's room.
7. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Hidden both life and death from him.
(b) Distance himself from his children.
(c) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(d) Distanced he and his wife.
8. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(b) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
(c) He thinks more and more about them.
(d) He is glad that he is able to have them.
9. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
(a) His appendix and his kidney.
(c) His work.
(d) The promotion he didn't get that cause him to be in this situation.
10. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
(a) Ivan welcomes the company.
(b) Ivan cries inconsolably.
(c) Ivan refuses to speak to her.
(d) Ivan angrily asks her to let him die in peace.
11. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
(a) That he misses work terribly.
(b) That his wife doesn't love him.
(c) That everyone is waiting for him to die.
(d) That he is not as sick as he has thought.
12. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) In memories of the past.
(b) Happily at home with his family.
(c) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(d) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
13. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) The pain.
(b) Not being able to sleep much.
(c) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
(d) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
14. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
(c) The doctor.
(d) His wife.
15. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
(a) The memories are joyful.
(b) The memories are painful.
(c) The memories devastating.
(d) The memories are shocking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does food become to Ivan?
2. What characters are mentioned in Chapter 9?
3. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
4. How do most people act toward Ivan?
5. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)