|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
2. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
(a) That he is not as sick as he has thought.
(b) That everyone is waiting for him to die.
(c) That his wife doesn't love him.
(d) That he misses work terribly.
3. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Enrico Caruso.
(d) Charles Dicksons.
4. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
5. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
(a) His whole life and all his relationships.
(b) The speech he wants to give to his soon to be son-in-law.
(c) The proposal he gave his wife so long ago.
(d) The periodic table.
6. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
7. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
8. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he married.
(b) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(c) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(d) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
9. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) One year.
10. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(a) getting better.
(b) Moving forward.
(c) being soothed.
11. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) In the doctor's back room.
(b) On his sofa that he never leaves.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) In his bed.
12. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) Sit with Ivan.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Have dinner.
(d) Have some wine.
13. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
(a) The drugs make them feel better because they ease his pain.
(b) The drugs make Ivan easier to be with.
(c) The drugs only serve their convenience in keeping Ivan quiet.
(d) The drugs make it easier for him to sleep.
14. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(b) Groan aloud.
15. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
(a) That she has ordered the specialist for him.
(b) That she loves him more than ever.
(c) That she is sorry he bought the new house.
(d) That he looks better everyday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
2. What has Ivan stopped doing?
3. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
4. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
5. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)