|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He welcomes her company.
(b) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(c) He sends her away.
(d) He pretends to be asleep.
2. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
(b) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
(c) That he really doesn't want to die.
(d) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
3. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(b) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(c) In memories of the past.
(d) Happily at home with his family.
4. What does food become to Ivan?
(b) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
(c) A distraction from the pain.
5. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
(a) More suffering.
(b) To be unable to see his family.
(c) To be unable to eat.
(d) To be unable to sleep.
6. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(a) being soothed.
(c) getting better.
(d) Moving forward.
7. What does Ivan ask of God?
(a) To explain why God is allowing him to be in such pain.
(b) To take care of his family when he is gone.
(c) To live as he used to - well and pleasantly.
(d) To be cured.
8. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
9. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He stands by his mother silently.
(b) He cries quietly.
(c) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(d) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
10. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Hidden both life and death from him.
(b) Distanced he and his wife.
(c) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(d) Distance himself from his children.
11. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
(a) The idea of no afterlife frightens him.
(b) He refuses to die.
(c) He thinks the alternative view will be unbearable.
(d) Being without his family will be unearable.
12. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) For a visit from another specialist.
(c) For the theater.
(d) For a trip.
13. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
14. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
(a) Murdering his wife.
(b) Living to see his daughter married.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) The idea that he has lived wrongly.
15. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
(a) His wife's presence.
(b) His memories.
(c) Taking communion.
(d) His confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
2. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
3. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
4. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
5. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)