|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
(a) The proposal he gave his wife so long ago.
(b) The speech he wants to give to his soon to be son-in-law.
(c) The periodic table.
(d) His whole life and all his relationships.
2. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Take some opium.
(b) Open his window.
(c) Eat something.
(d) Go to sleep.
3. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) In memories of the past.
(b) Happily at home with his family.
(c) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(d) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
4. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
(a) One hour.
(b) Moments before.
(c) A half hour.
(d) Two hours.
5. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Distance himself from his children.
(b) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(c) Hidden both life and death from him.
(d) Distanced he and his wife.
6. His memories of the past lead Ivan specifically to where?
(a) His childhood.
(c) The day he met his wife.
(d) That fateful day he fell off the step ladder.
7. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(b) He stands by his mother silently.
(c) He cries quietly.
(d) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
8. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(b) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(c) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(d) When he married.
9. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
(a) Sad to think he must soon leave her.
(d) Surrounded by lies.
10. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
11. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) Mostly in the morning.
(b) On and off.
(d) Mostly at night.
12. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
(a) The memories are painful.
(b) The memories are shocking.
(c) The memories are joyful.
(d) The memories devastating.
13. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) Not being able to sleep much.
(b) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
(c) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
(d) The pain.
14. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) Strength to deal with the pain.
(b) LIght at the bottom.
(c) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
15. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
(b) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
(c) That he really doesn't want to die.
(d) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
2. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
3. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
4. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
5. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)