|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) One year.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
2. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That he did the best he could.
(b) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(c) That his life wasn't worth living.
(d) That it was wonderful.
3. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
(b) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(c) The same as everyone else.
(d) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
4. What does food become to Ivan?
(c) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
(d) A distraction from the pain.
5. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To bring him something to eat.
(b) To make him comfortabe.
(c) To keep him company.
(d) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
6. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He thinks more and more about them.
(b) He is glad that he is able to have them.
(c) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(d) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
7. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
(b) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
(c) Because he does many painful tests.
(d) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
8. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Charles Dicksons.
(d) Enrico Caruso.
9. How much does Ivan sleep?
(a) All the time.
(b) All day but not at night.
(c) As little as he eats.
(d) Four hours a night on good nights.
10. What does Ivan ask of God?
(a) To take care of his family when he is gone.
(b) To be cured.
(c) To explain why God is allowing him to be in such pain.
(d) To live as he used to - well and pleasantly.
11. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) The pain.
(b) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
(c) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
(d) Not being able to sleep much.
12. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
(a) To put her mind at ease.
(b) She is certain this doctor can cure Ivan.
(c) Because she can see Ivan is tired and needs rest.
(d) Fresh air will will rid Ivan's room of impurities.
13. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
(a) There is no medicine that can help Ivan.
(b) Penicillin and morphine.
(c) Penicillin and opium.
(d) Opium and morphine.
14. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
(a) That Ivan stop pitying himself.
(b) That the windows in Ivan's room be opened to let the fresh air in.
(c) A visit from a celebrated specialist.
(d) Everyone to leave Ivan's room.
15. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
(a) The memories are joyful.
(b) The memories are shocking.
(c) The memories devastating.
(d) The memories are painful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
2. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
3. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
4. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
5. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)