|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
(b) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
(c) He cannot bear to leave his family.
(d) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
2. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
(b) He cries quietly.
(c) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(d) He stands by his mother silently.
3. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) On and off.
(c) Mostly at night.
(d) Mostly in the morning.
4. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
(a) The drugs make Ivan easier to be with.
(b) The drugs make it easier for him to sleep.
(c) The drugs make them feel better because they ease his pain.
(d) The drugs only serve their convenience in keeping Ivan quiet.
5. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That he really doesn't want to die.
(b) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
(c) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
(d) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
6. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he married.
(b) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(c) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(d) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
7. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
(a) Living to see his daughter married.
(b) The idea that he has lived wrongly.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) Murdering his wife.
8. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) Because he does many painful tests.
(b) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
(c) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
(d) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
9. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
(a) The proposal he gave his wife so long ago.
(b) The speech he wants to give to his soon to be son-in-law.
(c) His whole life and all his relationships.
(d) The periodic table.
10. What has Ivan stopped doing?
11. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
12. What does Ivan think he was too quick to do?
(a) Leave his room.
(b) Suppress his attempts to resist what others considered good.
(c) Yell at his wife.
(d) Get up from his sofa.
13. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
(a) Ivan angrily asks her to let him die in peace.
(b) Ivan welcomes the company.
(c) Ivan refuses to speak to her.
(d) Ivan cries inconsolably.
14. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
(c) His wife.
(d) The doctor.
15. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
(a) He listens to his daughter sing softly.
(b) He takes more medicine than the doctor suggested.
(c) He calls his son to his side.
(d) He has a good cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
2. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
3. His memories make it difficult for Ivan to do what?
4. How does Ivan react to his memories?
5. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)