|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
(a) That his wife doesn't love him.
(b) That he is not as sick as he has thought.
(c) That he misses work terribly.
(d) That everyone is waiting for him to die.
2. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
(a) More suffering.
(b) To be unable to sleep.
(c) To be unable to eat.
(d) To be unable to see his family.
3. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
(a) The doctor.
(d) His wife.
4. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(c) Groan aloud.
5. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
(a) As bad as the pain that they are supposed to relieve.
(b) Not bad at all.
(c) Bad, but at least they relieve the pain.
(d) They make him so sick he tries to avoid taking them.
6. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
(a) He really has had a wonderful life.
(b) He wishes he could re-live them.
(c) The more of these distant memories he has than of recent times.
(d) The more there was that was good in life, the more life there was.
7. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(b) The hope of a church service.
(c) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
(d) Premature death.
8. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
(b) Not being able to sleep much.
(c) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
(d) The pain.
9. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
(b) To bring him something to eat.
(c) To make him comfortabe.
(d) To keep him company.
10. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
(b) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
(c) That he really doesn't want to die.
(d) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
11. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) In his bed.
(b) On his sofa that he never leaves.
(c) In the doctor's back room.
(d) In the hospital.
12. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
(b) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
(c) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
(d) He cannot bear to leave his family.
13. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
(b) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
(c) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(d) The same as everyone else.
14. Which character is introduced in Chapter 7?
(b) Peter Ivanovich.
(c) Vladimir Ivanich.
15. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
(a) As a relief.
(b) As an opportunity to show their love for him.
(c) As an imposition.
(d) As a tragedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
2. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
3. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
4. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
5. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)