|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Sit with Ivan.
(c) Have some wine.
(d) Have dinner.
2. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
(a) Taking communion.
(b) His memories.
(c) His confession.
(d) His wife's presence.
3. His memories make it difficult for Ivan to do what?
(a) Face the fact that he is dying.
(b) Face the truth of the life he created for himself as an adult.
(c) Deal with the pain.
(d) Stay in the present.
4. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
(a) Sad to think he must soon leave her.
(c) Surrounded by lies.
5. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(b) Distanced he and his wife.
(c) Hidden both life and death from him.
(d) Distance himself from his children.
6. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
(a) The many tests that the doctor's insist on performing each day.
(b) The thought that he is dying.
(c) HIs wife's constant babbling about the house.
(d) He is torn between cooperating and resisting.
7. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
(a) The black sack.
(b) The bright light.
(c) The pain.
(d) The bleeding.
8. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
9. What does food become to Ivan?
(a) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
(b) A distraction from the pain.
10. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
11. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(b) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
(c) He cries quietly.
(d) He stands by his mother silently.
12. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Charles Dicksons.
(c) Enrico Caruso.
(d) Harry Houdini.
13. How much does Ivan sleep?
(a) All day but not at night.
(b) Four hours a night on good nights.
(c) As little as he eats.
(d) All the time.
14. What does Ivan try to hang onto at the end of his life?
(a) His last breath.
(b) His family.
(c) His belief in God.
(d) The notion that his life has been a good one.
15. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(b) That he did the best he could.
(c) That it was wonderful.
(d) That his life wasn't worth living.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
2. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
3. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
4. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
5. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)