|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
(a) He thinks the alternative view will be unbearable.
(b) The idea of no afterlife frightens him.
(c) Being without his family will be unearable.
(d) He refuses to die.
2. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
(a) More suffering.
(b) To be unable to see his family.
(c) To be unable to sleep.
(d) To be unable to eat.
3. What characters are mentioned in Chapter 9?
(a) Ivan's wife and Ivan.
(b) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and God.
(c) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and Ivan's daughter.
(d) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and Ivan's son.
4. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
(b) He stands by his mother silently.
(c) He cries quietly.
(d) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
5. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Ivan's wife.
(c) Ivan's daughter.
6. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) LIght at the bottom.
(c) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
(d) Strength to deal with the pain.
7. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He welcomes her company.
(b) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(c) He pretends to be asleep.
(d) He sends her away.
8. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) He cannot bear to leave his family.
(b) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
(c) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
(d) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
9. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
(a) The speech he wants to give to his soon to be son-in-law.
(b) The proposal he gave his wife so long ago.
(c) The periodic table.
(d) His whole life and all his relationships.
10. Which character is introduced in Chapter 7?
(b) Vladimir Ivanich.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
11. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(b) He is glad that he is able to have them.
(c) He thinks more and more about them.
(d) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
12. His memories make it difficult for Ivan to do what?
(a) Face the fact that he is dying.
(b) Face the truth of the life he created for himself as an adult.
(c) Stay in the present.
(d) Deal with the pain.
13. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(b) Happily at home with his family.
(c) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(d) In memories of the past.
14. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
(a) As an imposition.
(b) As a tragedy.
(c) As an opportunity to show their love for him.
(d) As a relief.
15. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
(a) For the theater.
(b) For a trip.
(c) For a funeral.
(d) For a visit from another specialist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
2. Who does Ivan begin to question in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
4. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
5. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)