|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
2. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
(a) That he is not as sick as he has thought.
(b) That his wife doesn't love him.
(c) That everyone is waiting for him to die.
(d) That he misses work terribly.
3. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
4. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
(a) A half hour.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Moments before.
5. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He sends her away.
(b) He pretends to be asleep.
(c) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(d) He welcomes her company.
6. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
(a) Fresh air will will rid Ivan's room of impurities.
(b) To put her mind at ease.
(c) Because she can see Ivan is tired and needs rest.
(d) She is certain this doctor can cure Ivan.
7. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(b) Beg forgiveness.
(d) Groan aloud.
8. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(b) When he married.
(c) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(d) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
9. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
(a) Ivan cries inconsolably.
(b) Ivan refuses to speak to her.
(c) Ivan welcomes the company.
(d) Ivan angrily asks her to let him die in peace.
10. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) Happily at home with his family.
(b) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(c) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(d) In memories of the past.
11. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(b) That it was wonderful.
(c) That his life wasn't worth living.
(d) That he did the best he could.
12. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(b) Ivan's daughter.
(c) The doctor.
(d) Ivan's wife.
13. In Chapter 8, Ivan is angry with whom?
(a) Those around him who act like everything is normal.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Those who wouldn't promote him at his old job.
14. What broader concept about life does Ivan come to see once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That life is meant to be difficult.
(b) That life is a struggle.
(c) That life is a cabaret.
(d) That it can be lived well even if he didn't live well.
15. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) On his sofa that he never leaves.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In the doctor's back room.
(d) In his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
2. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
3. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
4. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
5. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)