|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
(b) The pain.
(c) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
(d) Not being able to sleep much.
2. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
(a) Penicillin and morphine.
(b) Opium and morphine.
(c) There is no medicine that can help Ivan.
(d) Penicillin and opium.
3. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
(a) That she has ordered the specialist for him.
(b) That she loves him more than ever.
(c) That she is sorry he bought the new house.
(d) That he looks better everyday.
4. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
(a) The drugs make them feel better because they ease his pain.
(b) The drugs make Ivan easier to be with.
(c) The drugs only serve their convenience in keeping Ivan quiet.
(d) The drugs make it easier for him to sleep.
5. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He thinks more and more about them.
(b) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(c) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
(d) He is glad that he is able to have them.
6. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
(a) Moments before.
(b) Two hours.
(c) A half hour.
(d) One hour.
7. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He sends her away.
(b) He welcomes her company.
(c) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(d) He pretends to be asleep.
8. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) On and off.
(c) Mostly at night.
(d) Mostly in the morning.
9. Which character is introduced in Chapter 7?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Peter Ivanovich.
10. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
11. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
(a) The bright light.
(b) The pain.
(c) The bleeding.
(d) The black sack.
12. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That his family is all he needs.
(b) That his life is a web of lies.
(c) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(d) That he should have married his true love.
13. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(a) Ivan's wife.
(b) Ivan's daughter.
(d) The doctor.
14. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(b) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(c) When he married.
(d) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
15. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
(b) To bring him something to eat.
(c) To keep him company.
(d) To make him comfortabe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characters are mentioned in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
3. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
4. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)