|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That his family is all he needs.
(b) That his life is a web of lies.
(c) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(d) That he should have married his true love.
2. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) On his sofa that he never leaves.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In the doctor's back room.
3. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) Happily at home with his family.
(b) In memories of the past.
(c) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(d) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
4. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
(a) The drugs make them feel better because they ease his pain.
(b) The drugs make Ivan easier to be with.
(c) The drugs make it easier for him to sleep.
(d) The drugs only serve their convenience in keeping Ivan quiet.
5. What does food become to Ivan?
(b) A distraction from the pain.
(c) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
6. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
7. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
(a) The pain.
(b) That others have to be involved in his excretions.
(c) Not being able to sleep much.
(d) Not being able to eat his favorite foods.
8. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(a) Ivan's daughter.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Ivan's wife.
9. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
(a) Taking communion.
(b) His confession.
(c) His wife's presence.
(d) His memories.
10. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
(a) The bleeding.
(b) The bright light.
(c) The pain.
(d) The black sack.
11. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Open his window.
(b) Eat something.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Take some opium.
12. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) Mostly at night.
(c) Mostly in the morning.
(d) On and off.
13. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
14. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(a) getting better.
(c) Moving forward.
(d) being soothed.
15. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
(b) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
(c) That he really doesn't want to die.
(d) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affects do these medicines have on Ivan?
2. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
3. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
4. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
5. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)