|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He is glad that he is able to have them.
(b) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
(c) He thinks more and more about them.
(d) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
2. How do most people act toward Ivan?
(a) They pretend he is not dying.
(b) They already mourn his death.
(c) They are happy to finally be rid of him.
(d) They avoid him.
3. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) Mostly at night.
(b) Mostly in the morning.
(c) On and off.
4. How much does Ivan sleep?
(a) Four hours a night on good nights.
(b) All the time.
(c) As little as he eats.
(d) All day but not at night.
5. His memories make it difficult for Ivan to do what?
(a) Face the truth of the life he created for himself as an adult.
(b) Deal with the pain.
(c) Face the fact that he is dying.
(d) Stay in the present.
6. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
(a) For a trip.
(b) For a visit from another specialist.
(c) For a funeral.
(d) For the theater.
7. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
(a) Penicillin and opium.
(b) Opium and morphine.
(c) Penicillin and morphine.
(d) There is no medicine that can help Ivan.
8. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
9. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Distance himself from his children.
(b) Hidden both life and death from him.
(c) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(d) Distanced he and his wife.
10. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
(b) He cannot bear to leave his family.
(c) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
(d) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
11. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
(a) The feelings he had for Peter's wife.
(b) The revulsion he felt for his wife all those years ago.
(c) His non-conformist urges.
(d) The desire to become a doctor.
12. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) Premature death.
(b) The hope of a church service.
(c) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
(d) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
13. What has Ivan stopped doing?
14. What does Ivan think he was too quick to do?
(a) Leave his room.
(b) Get up from his sofa.
(c) Yell at his wife.
(d) Suppress his attempts to resist what others considered good.
15. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
(b) The promotion he didn't get that cause him to be in this situation.
(c) His work.
(d) His appendix and his kidney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
2. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
3. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
4. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
5. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)