|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
(b) He cries quietly.
(c) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(d) He stands by his mother silently.
2. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(c) Groan aloud.
3. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(b) The hope of a church service.
(c) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
(d) Premature death.
4. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
(a) His work.
(b) His appendix and his kidney.
(c) How to get the promotion he felt he was due.
5. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(b) That his life is a web of lies.
(c) That he should have married his true love.
(d) That his family is all he needs.
6. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He sends her away.
(b) He welcomes her company.
(c) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(d) He pretends to be asleep.
7. Who does Ivan begin to question in Chapter 9?
(b) His wife.
(d) The doctor.
8. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Charles Dicksons.
(d) Enrico Caruso.
9. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
(a) To be unable to eat.
(b) To be unable to sleep.
(c) To be unable to see his family.
(d) More suffering.
10. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(b) Moving forward.
(c) being soothed.
(d) getting better.
11. What has Ivan stopped doing?
12. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan do at his wife's suggestion?
(a) Take communion.
(b) Let the fresh air in by opening the window of his room.
(d) Take another dose of medicine.
13. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(b) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(c) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(d) When he married.
14. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That it was wonderful.
(b) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(c) That his life wasn't worth living.
(d) That he did the best he could.
15. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
2. What affects do these medicines have on Ivan?
3. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
4. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
5. What does Ivan think he was too quick to do?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)