|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ivan begin to question in Chapter 9?
(b) His wife.
(c) The doctor.
2. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
(a) He lived as he should have.
(b) He raised his own children the way he was raised.
(c) He has not lived as he ought.
(d) He was raised by good parents.
3. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(b) When he married.
(c) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(d) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
4. What affects do these medicines have on Ivan?
(a) They relieve his pain.
(b) They make him delusional.
(c) They make him depressed.
(d) They make him sleep most of the time.
5. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(b) The same as everyone else.
(c) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
(d) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
6. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
(a) Because she can see Ivan is tired and needs rest.
(b) She is certain this doctor can cure Ivan.
(c) To put her mind at ease.
(d) Fresh air will will rid Ivan's room of impurities.
7. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To make him comfortabe.
(b) To bring him something to eat.
(c) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
(d) To keep him company.
8. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
(a) The memories are shocking.
(b) The memories are painful.
(c) The memories devastating.
(d) The memories are joyful.
9. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
10. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
11. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
(b) Because he does many painful tests.
(c) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
(d) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
12. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
(a) Not bad at all.
(b) They make him so sick he tries to avoid taking them.
(c) As bad as the pain that they are supposed to relieve.
(d) Bad, but at least they relieve the pain.
13. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
(b) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
(c) He cannot bear to leave his family.
(d) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
14. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
(b) Premature death.
(c) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(d) The hope of a church service.
15. What has Ivan stopped doing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
2. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
3. What does Ivan try to hang onto at the end of his life?
4. What does food become to Ivan?
5. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)