|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) Happily at home with his family.
(b) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(c) In memories of the past.
(d) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
2. What does food become to Ivan?
(c) A distraction from the pain.
(d) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
3. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
(a) The many tests that the doctor's insist on performing each day.
(b) HIs wife's constant babbling about the house.
(c) He is torn between cooperating and resisting.
(d) The thought that he is dying.
4. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
(b) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(c) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
(d) The same as everyone else.
5. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
6. What broader concept about life does Ivan come to see once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That it can be lived well even if he didn't live well.
(b) That life is a struggle.
(c) That life is a cabaret.
(d) That life is meant to be difficult.
7. In Chapter 8, Ivan is angry with whom?
(a) Those who wouldn't promote him at his old job.
(b) Those around him who act like everything is normal.
(d) The doctor.
8. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(b) Distance himself from his children.
(c) Hidden both life and death from him.
(d) Distanced he and his wife.
9. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
10. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
(a) Moments before.
(b) Two hours.
(c) A half hour.
(d) One hour.
11. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Enrico Caruso.
(c) Harry Houdini.
(d) Charles Dicksons.
12. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
(a) The memories are shocking.
(b) The memories are joyful.
(c) The memories devastating.
(d) The memories are painful.
13. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
(b) The doctor.
(c) Ivan's daughter.
(d) Ivan's wife.
14. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
(a) Mostly in the morning.
(b) On and off.
(c) Mostly at night.
15. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
(a) How to get the promotion he felt he was due.
(c) His work.
(d) His appendix and his kidney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan think he was too quick to do?
2. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
3. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
4. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
5. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)