|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
(a) That the windows in Ivan's room be opened to let the fresh air in.
(b) Everyone to leave Ivan's room.
(c) That Ivan stop pitying himself.
(d) A visit from a celebrated specialist.
2. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
(b) Sad to think he must soon leave her.
(c) Surrounded by lies.
3. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
(a) That he looks better everyday.
(b) That she has ordered the specialist for him.
(c) That she loves him more than ever.
(d) That she is sorry he bought the new house.
4. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
(b) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(c) He thinks more and more about them.
(d) He is glad that he is able to have them.
5. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
(b) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(c) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(d) When he married.
6. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
(a) Penicillin and morphine.
(b) There is no medicine that can help Ivan.
(c) Opium and morphine.
(d) Penicillin and opium.
7. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He cries quietly.
(b) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(c) He stands by his mother silently.
(d) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
8. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
(a) He lived as he should have.
(b) He raised his own children the way he was raised.
(c) He has not lived as he ought.
(d) He was raised by good parents.
9. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
10. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
(a) Taking communion.
(b) His wife's presence.
(c) His memories.
(d) His confession.
11. What adds to Ivan's suffering?
(a) HIs wife's constant babbling about the house.
(b) The thought that he is dying.
(c) He is torn between cooperating and resisting.
(d) The many tests that the doctor's insist on performing each day.
12. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(b) Groan aloud.
13. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
14. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the doctor's back room.
(d) On his sofa that he never leaves.
15. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
(a) Ivan refuses to speak to her.
(b) Ivan cries inconsolably.
(c) Ivan welcomes the company.
(d) Ivan angrily asks her to let him die in peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
2. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel about his memories of the past?
4. How do most people treat Ivan's dying?
5. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)