|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
(b) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
(c) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
(d) That he really doesn't want to die.
2. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
(a) He thinks the alternative view will be unbearable.
(b) He refuses to die.
(c) The idea of no afterlife frightens him.
(d) Being without his family will be unearable.
3. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(b) being soothed.
(c) getting better.
(d) Moving forward.
4. How does Ivan react to what his wife wants to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) He asks her to tell him all about the concert.
(b) He pretends to be asleep.
(c) He sends her away.
(d) He welcomes her company.
5. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
(b) He thinks more and more about them.
(c) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(d) He is glad that he is able to have them.
6. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
(a) The drugs make Ivan easier to be with.
(b) The drugs make it easier for him to sleep.
(c) The drugs make them feel better because they ease his pain.
(d) The drugs only serve their convenience in keeping Ivan quiet.
7. When Ivan's son enters his room, what does his son do?
(a) He catches Ivan's flailing hand and kisses it.
(b) He stands by his mother silently.
(c) He cries quietly.
(d) He lays his head on Ivan's chest.
8. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
(b) His work.
(c) The promotion he didn't get that cause him to be in this situation.
(d) His appendix and his kidney.
9. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) LIght at the bottom.
(b) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
(c) Strength to deal with the pain.
10. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
(a) For a visit from another specialist.
(b) For the theater.
(c) For a trip.
(d) For a funeral.
11. Who does Ivan begin to question in Chapter 9?
(a) The doctor.
(d) His wife.
12. How much does Ivan sleep?
(a) All day but not at night.
(b) As little as he eats.
(c) Four hours a night on good nights.
(d) All the time.
13. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
14. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
(a) He wishes he could re-live them.
(b) The more there was that was good in life, the more life there was.
(c) He really has had a wonderful life.
(d) The more of these distant memories he has than of recent times.
15. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
(a) How to get the promotion he felt he was due.
(b) His appendix and his kidney.
(c) His work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ivan stopped doing?
2. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
3. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
4. What characters are mentioned in Chapter 9?
5. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)