|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ivan live in his thoughts?
(a) At his old job, having gotten the promotion he expected.
(b) Happily at home with his family.
(c) With his friends in the residence hall when he was at school.
(d) In memories of the past.
2. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
3. What characters are mentioned in Chapter 9?
(a) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and Ivan's son.
(b) Ivan's wife and Ivan.
(c) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and God.
(d) Ivan's wife, Ivan, and Ivan's daughter.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Ivan do at his wife's suggestion?
(b) Take communion.
(c) Take another dose of medicine.
(d) Let the fresh air in by opening the window of his room.
5. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
(c) Strength to deal with the pain.
(d) LIght at the bottom.
6. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
(a) He wishes he could re-live them.
(b) He really has had a wonderful life.
(c) The more there was that was good in life, the more life there was.
(d) The more of these distant memories he has than of recent times.
7. How do most people act toward Ivan?
(a) They avoid him.
(b) They already mourn his death.
(c) They pretend he is not dying.
(d) They are happy to finally be rid of him.
8. Who does Ivan begin to question in Chapter 9?
(b) His wife.
(d) The doctor.
9. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(b) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
(c) The same as everyone else.
(d) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
10. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The hope of a church service.
(b) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
(c) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(d) Premature death.
11. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To make him comfortabe.
(b) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
(c) To bring him something to eat.
(d) To keep him company.
12. In Chapter 11, Ivan sees that his deceptions have done what?
(a) Distanced he and his wife.
(b) Distance himself from his children.
(c) Strained his frienship with Peter.
(d) Hidden both life and death from him.
13. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
14. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) Have dinner.
(b) Sit with Ivan.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Have some wine.
15. What does food become to Ivan?
(a) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
(b) A distraction from the pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
2. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
3. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
4. Of what does Ivan's wife try to convince him?
5. What is the hardest thing for Ivan to bear?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)