|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
(b) Strength to deal with the pain.
(c) LIght at the bottom.
2. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That his life is a web of lies.
(b) That his family is all he needs.
(c) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(d) That he should have married his true love.
3. What does Ivan's wife tell him to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Take some opium.
(c) Open his window.
(d) Eat something.
4. In Chapter 8, Ivan is angry with whom?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Those who wouldn't promote him at his old job.
(d) Those around him who act like everything is normal.
5. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
(a) How to get the promotion he felt he was due.
(b) His work.
(d) His appendix and his kidney.
6. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(a) getting better.
(b) Moving forward.
(c) being soothed.
7. How does Ivan's wife explain why she ordered what she did in Chapter 8?
(a) Because she can see Ivan is tired and needs rest.
(b) To put her mind at ease.
(c) She is certain this doctor can cure Ivan.
(d) Fresh air will will rid Ivan's room of impurities.
8. How long does Ivan ponder his broader concept about life before his actual death?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Moments before.
(d) A half hour.
9. What does Ivan try to hang onto at the end of his life?
(a) His last breath.
(b) His family.
(c) The notion that his life has been a good one.
(d) His belief in God.
10. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That his life wasn't worth living.
(b) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(c) That he did the best he could.
(d) That it was wonderful.
11. Why does Ivan try to hang onto what he does at the end of his life?
(a) The idea of no afterlife frightens him.
(b) Being without his family will be unearable.
(c) He refuses to die.
(d) He thinks the alternative view will be unbearable.
12. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
13. When does Ivan recognize that his real life began to ebb?
(a) When he married.
(b) The moment he fell off the step ladder.
(c) The more he has gone up in public opinion during his adult life.
(d) When he failed to get the promotion at his old job.
14. In Chapter 11, what does his awareness about his deceptions cause Ivan to do?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(c) Groan aloud.
15. What explanation has Ivan for the realizations about his memories?
(a) He was raised by good parents.
(b) He raised his own children the way he was raised.
(c) He has not lived as he ought.
(d) He lived as he should have.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ivan's drugs help his wife and doctors?
2. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
3. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
4. How often does Ivan experience physical pain?
5. What does Ivan begin to review in Chapter 11?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)