|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Ivan is angry with whom?
(a) Those who wouldn't promote him at his old job.
(b) Those around him who act like everything is normal.
(d) The doctor.
2. What has Ivan stopped doing?
3. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
(b) Because he does many painful tests.
(c) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
(d) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
4. Who is Ivan's family going to see at the end of Chatper 8?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Enrico Caruso.
(c) Charles Dicksons.
(d) Sarah Bernhardt.
5. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
6. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That his life is a web of lies.
(b) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(c) That he should have married his true love.
(d) That his family is all he needs.
7. What does Ivan ask of God?
(a) To take care of his family when he is gone.
(b) To be cured.
(c) To live as he used to - well and pleasantly.
(d) To explain why God is allowing him to be in such pain.
8. What does food become to Ivan?
(c) A distraction from the pain.
(d) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
9. What does Ivan realize about his life once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) That he did the best he could.
(b) That it was wonderful.
(c) That he didn't live it well, but it doesn't matter.
(d) That his life wasn't worth living.
10. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
11. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
(a) That Ivan stop pitying himself.
(b) A visit from a celebrated specialist.
(c) That the windows in Ivan's room be opened to let the fresh air in.
(d) Everyone to leave Ivan's room.
12. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
(a) To be unable to eat.
(b) To be unable to sleep.
(c) To be unable to see his family.
(d) More suffering.
13. What month of Ivan's illness begins Chapter 7?
14. What does Ivan realize when he looks back at his life?
(a) That the only real and honest pleasures were in his childhood.
(b) That there is nothing that the doctors can do for him.
(c) That he really doesn't want to die.
(d) That he loves the life he has created with his family.
15. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
2. How does Ivan feel when his wife enters his room in Chapter 8?
3. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
4. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
5. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)