|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan realize in Chapter 7?
(a) That he is not as sick as he has thought.
(b) That he misses work terribly.
(c) That his wife doesn't love him.
(d) That everyone is waiting for him to die.
2. How does Gerasim treat Ivan?
(a) As though he is glad to see Ivan go.
(b) He is cheerful and kind and does not pretend Ivan will get well.
(c) The same as everyone else.
(d) As if he will be left some money if he is nice to Ivan.
3. What does Ivan find once he feels he is pushed through the hole?
(a) Strength to deal with the pain.
(b) LIght at the bottom.
(c) The ability to spend his last moments with his family.
4. What does Ivan try to hang onto at the end of his life?
(a) His family.
(b) The notion that his life has been a good one.
(c) His last breath.
(d) His belief in God.
5. How bad are the affects of these medicines?
(a) As bad as the pain that they are supposed to relieve.
(b) They make him so sick he tries to avoid taking them.
(c) Bad, but at least they relieve the pain.
(d) Not bad at all.
6. What does the idea that he hasn't lived a good life stop Ivan from being able to do?
(a) Moving forward.
(b) getting better.
(d) being soothed.
7. How does Ivan respond to his wife entering his room?
(a) Ivan refuses to speak to her.
(b) Ivan cries inconsolably.
(c) Ivan angrily asks her to let him die in peace.
(d) Ivan welcomes the company.
8. What does Ivan seriously consider in Chapter 11?
(a) Living to see his daughter married.
(b) Murdering his wife.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) The idea that he has lived wrongly.
9. How does Ivan react to his memories?
(a) He thinks more and more about them.
(b) He is glad that he is able to have them.
(c) He turns to them to help ease his pain.
(d) He tries to avoid them but cannot.
10. What does food become to Ivan?
(c) A distraction from the pain.
(d) It all taste like iron because of the medication he takes.
11. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
(a) His memories.
(b) His wife's presence.
(c) His confession.
(d) Taking communion.
12. How does Ivan relieve his suffering that night in Chapter 9?
(a) He listens to his daughter sing softly.
(b) He calls his son to his side.
(c) He takes more medicine than the doctor suggested.
(d) He has a good cry.
13. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(b) That his life is a web of lies.
(c) That he should have married his true love.
(d) That his family is all he needs.
14. Instead, what does Ivan think about in Chapter 10?
(a) His work.
(b) The promotion he didn't get that cause him to be in this situation.
(c) His appendix and his kidney.
15. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ivan stopped doing?
2. Who insisted that Ivan's wife and family go out?
3. How much does Ivan sleep?
4. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
5. By Chapter 10, how does Ivan feel in his thoughts?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)