|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ivan's wife ordered in Chapter 8?
(a) That the windows in Ivan's room be opened to let the fresh air in.
(b) Everyone to leave Ivan's room.
(c) That Ivan stop pitying himself.
(d) A visit from a celebrated specialist.
2. What does Ivan do for the last three days of his life?
3. What does Ivan realize the further back in his memories he goes?
(a) The more there was that was good in life, the more life there was.
(b) He really has had a wonderful life.
(c) The more of these distant memories he has than of recent times.
(d) He wishes he could re-live them.
4. What does Ivan figure out in Chapter 10 about his life?
(a) That he could have done things differently if he had gotten that promotion.
(b) That he should have married his true love.
(c) That his family is all he needs.
(d) That his life is a web of lies.
5. What medicines are often given to Ivan?
(a) There is no medicine that can help Ivan.
(b) Opium and morphine.
(c) Penicillin and morphine.
(d) Penicillin and opium.
6. Ivan compares the doctor's visit to what?
(a) The hope of a church service.
(b) The time he's spent in the company of his friends.
(c) Premature death.
(d) The lies of lawyers in the courts.
7. Why does Ivan say his mental pain is worse?
(a) He cannot believe that he is dying from falling off a step ladder.
(b) He cannot bear to leave his family.
(c) He wishes he had never left his old job and bought this house.
(d) One moment he wants it all to be over. The next moment he doesn't want to die.
8. Why does the specialist's visit cause Ivan more pain?
(a) Because he cuts Ivan at the wrists to allow the impurities of his blood to leave the body.
(b) It gives Ivan a brief moment of false hope.
(c) Because Ivan can't bear to see yet another doctor.
(d) Because he does many painful tests.
9. Others see Ivan twitch and gasp for two more hours, but Ivan experiences what?
10. Who seems to answer Ivan's questions?
(a) The doctor.
(b) His wife.
11. What does Ivan struggle with during the last three days of his life?
(a) The bright light.
(b) The black sack.
(c) The bleeding.
(d) The pain.
12. How much time has passed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Two months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
13. Why does Ivan's wife enter his room in Chapter 11?
(a) To keep him company.
(b) To tell Ivan that their daughter's fiance has finally proposed.
(c) To make him comfortabe.
(d) To bring him something to eat.
14. What does Ivan's wife want to do when she returns from the theater?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Sit with Ivan.
(c) Have some wine.
(d) Have dinner.
15. One evening, Ivan's wife comes into his room to visit dressed how?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) For the theater.
(c) For a visit from another specialist.
(d) For a trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, where is Ivan for the next two weeks?
2. What has Ivan stopped thinking about by chapter 10?
3. What does Ivan think may have been real after all?
4. Ivan feels no lasting comfort in what?
5. For Ivan, what does the thought that he hasn't lived a good life cause?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)