|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
(a) Yes, but it takes time.
(b) No, it doesn't work anymore.
(c) No, not all the time.
(d) Yes, it works brilliantly.
2. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) 2 months later.
(b) 2 days later.
(c) 1 year later.
(d) 1 week later.
3. What year is it in the novel?
4. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
(b) At least 5,000 rubles.
(c) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(d) Enough to buy a summer house.
5. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
(b) That he will die over something so trivial.
(c) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
(d) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
6. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
(a) Ivan Ilych's house.
(b) The courtroom.
(c) The church.
(d) The judge's chamber.
7. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
(a) To be home for dinner every night.
(b) To be a good father to their children.
(c) To entertain her all the time.
(d) To be a good provider.
8. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is exciting.
(b) It is unhappy.
(c) It is happy.
(d) It is all he ever wanted.
9. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
(a) Go to medical school.
(b) To obtain a new job.
(c) Divorce his wife.
(d) Celebrate his love for his wife with a grand ball.
10. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan begins to cry.
(b) Ivan tells his wife.
(c) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
(d) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
11. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Take his medicine.
(b) Go to his bed and rest.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
12. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(b) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
(c) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(d) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
13. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) To hide from the law.
(b) To save money.
(c) For a visit.
(d) For a vacation.
14. What is Praskovya Fedorovna's relationship to the main character?
15. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
(a) Being constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(b) His wife.
(c) Not being able to continue working at his new job.
(d) The severe pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
2. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
3. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
4. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
5. Why is this year the hardest year of Ivan Ilych?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)