|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He cries uncontrollable.
(c) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
(d) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
2. Why does Ivan Ilych marry?
(a) He wants his wife's money.
(b) It seems expected of him.
(c) His father-in-law forces him.
(d) He is in love.
3. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) In the town he'd been living in all his life.
(c) In the town where his wife's brother lives.
(d) In Petersburg.
4. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) How healthy he now looks.
(b) A tumor.
(c) How thin and yellow he has become.
(d) How old he really is.
5. How much will Ivan Ilych's new job pay on moving expenses?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 5,000 rubles.
(d) 3,500 rubles.
6. What are the symptoms that Ivan Ilych has?
(a) He is unable to walk and or lift his right arm.
(b) He is thin and yellow.
(c) He has gained a lot of weight and limps.
(d) He had terrible headaches and is balding.
7. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
(a) That his daughter is marrying the wrong man.
(b) That he must write his memoirs before it's too late.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That his wife is truly beautiful.
8. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
(a) To argue a court case.
(b) To a funeral.
(c) To a grand ball.
(d) To a wedding.
9. Why are his wife and daughter anxious when Ivan Ilych arrives home?
(a) They are anxious because Ivan had been gone so long.
(b) They are anxious to hear what the doctor had to say.
(c) They are anxious to go out.
(d) They are anxious to get the house clean for the party that night.
10. How does Ivan try to live?
(a) As he lived before he was dying.
(c) With love in his heart toward all.
(d) Carefully, so as not to make his condition worse.
11. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
(b) His friends.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
12. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
(b) To continue working at his new job.
(c) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
(d) To get his wife to listen to him.
13. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
(a) Go to medical school.
(b) To obtain a new job.
(c) Celebrate his love for his wife with a grand ball.
(d) Divorce his wife.
14. Without the distraction of work, what happens to Ivan Ilych?
(a) He realizes how much he loves his wife.
(b) He falls in love with another woman.
(c) He discovers what is wrong with his life.
(d) He falls into a profound depression.
15. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(b) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
(c) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(d) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan try to work?
2. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
3. What year is it in the novel?
4. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
5. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)