|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
(a) Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance.
(b) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(c) Ivan Ilych's son.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
2. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) Optimism and joy.
(b) Reproach or warning.
(c) Conviction and righteousness.
(d) Anger and hostility.
3. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(b) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(c) He is an excellent dancer.
(d) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
4. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
(a) No, it doesn't work anymore.
(b) Yes, but it takes time.
(c) No, not all the time.
(d) Yes, it works brilliantly.
5. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
(a) It is very bad.
(b) It is nothing to worry about.
(c) Ivan doesn't guess at the doctor's prognosis.
(d) It is not as bad as he thought it was.
6. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
(b) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
(c) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
(d) That he will die over something so trivial.
7. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
(a) Tries to tell his wife and daughter everything.
(b) Breaks down and sobs uncontrollably.
(c) Asks his wife why dinner isn't ready.
(d) Sits down and takes a nap.
8. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(b) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(c) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(d) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
9. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
(a) He tries harder to make her happy.
(b) He carves out a life independent from her.
(c) He takes her on vacation.
(d) He buys a home near the sea.
10. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
(c) Deep depression.
11. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) To hide from the law.
(b) For a vacation.
(c) For a visit.
(d) To save money.
12. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
13. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
(a) Increasing levels of power at work.
(b) Tension between he and his wife.
(c) Alienation of his children.
(d) Terrible headaches.
14. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
15. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(b) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
(c) At least 5,000 rubles.
(d) Enough to buy a summer house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
2. What is wrong with Ivan Ilych's current job?
3. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
4. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
5. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)