|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Peter Ivanovich meet first at Ivan Ilych's house?
(b) Ivan Ilych.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
2. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
(b) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
(c) To get his wife to listen to him.
(d) To continue working at his new job.
3. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
(a) To be a good father to their children.
(b) To be home for dinner every night.
(c) To entertain her all the time.
(d) To be a good provider.
4. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To his wife's brother's family.
(b) To America.
(c) To the seaside.
(d) To the countryside.
5. What game does Ivan Ilych like to play?
6. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
(a) 6 years ago.
(b) So long ago he can't remember.
(c) 17 years ago.
(d) 20 years ago.
7. What has happened to the main character?
(a) He has been newly wed.
(b) He has been promoted.
(c) He has just become a grandfather.
(d) He has died.
8. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
(a) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(b) Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance.
(c) Ivan Ilych's son.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
9. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) To save money.
(b) To hide from the law.
(c) For a visit.
(d) For a vacation.
10. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(b) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(c) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
(d) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
11. Is Ivan Ilych in denial about his condition?
(a) Yes, and his family is trying to convince him how serious his condition is.
(b) No, he realizes he is going to die and is getting his will in order.
(c) Yes, he refuses to accept the seriousness of his condition.
(d) Yes, though his protective shield is starting to crack.
12. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
(a) Ivan didn't get an apology from his boss for not promoting him.
(b) The person promoted is less qualified for the job than he is.
(c) Others seem to see his struggles as quite ordinary.
(d) Ivan had been told he was going to get the promotion.
13. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
(a) Cry over them incessantly.
(b) Sit there and face them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Tell his wife about them.
14. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(b) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
(c) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(d) He is an excellent dancer.
15. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
(a) He thinks he can still get well.
(b) He thinks he is being foolish.
(c) To protect himself.
(d) He is too busy to think about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
2. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
3. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
4. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
5. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)