|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
2. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
(a) He doesn't want to leave his family.
(b) He somehow feels he is exempt from death.
(c) He cannot believe he is dying so young.
(d) He knows he has done some terrible things in his life.
3. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because he is feeling better already.
(b) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(c) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(d) Because his wife can go out as usual.
4. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
(a) That it will take him away from his family.
(b) The unbearable pain.
(c) That he will never see his new house fully decorated.
(d) It allows him no action to take.
5. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
(a) He is too busy to think about it.
(b) He thinks he can still get well.
(c) To protect himself.
(d) He thinks he is being foolish.
6. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
(a) He becomes close friends with the judge.
(b) He is unprepared for court.
(c) He misses several days.
(d) He becomes more and more ambitious.
7. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
(a) Because he isn't as interested in it as he used to be.
(b) Because the pain is too great.
(c) Because death intrudes his thoughts there, too.
(d) Because he's been away from work for too long.
8. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
(c) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
9. Who is the main character?
(a) Ivan Ilych.
(b) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
10. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
(a) His children's youth and abilities.
(b) His friends' talents and good looks.
(c) The intruder's stealth and agility.
(d) His family's good health and merriment.
11. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(a) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
(b) Writing his memoirs.
(d) Decorating his house.
12. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The summer of 1865.
(b) The following year.
(c) The day after he is not promoted.
(d) The summer of 1880.
13. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is unhappy.
(b) It is happy.
(c) It is exciting.
(d) It is all he ever wanted.
14. How does Ivan try to live?
(a) As he lived before he was dying.
(c) Carefully, so as not to make his condition worse.
(d) With love in his heart toward all.
15. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
(a) She avoids Ivan.
(b) She becomes melancholy.
(c) She behaves as if Ivan has created this illness to annoy and inconvenience her.
(d) She becomes more loving than ever before toward Ivan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
2. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
3. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
4. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
5. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)