|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
2. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) Enough to buy a summer house.
(b) At least 5,000 rubles.
(c) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(d) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
3. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
4. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The summer of 1880.
(b) The summer of 1865.
(c) The following year.
(d) The day after he is not promoted.
5. Is Ivan Ilych successful in understanding this?
(a) Yes, but it takes time to ponder.
(b) Yes, immediately.
(c) No, he cannot.
(d) Yes, most of the time.
6. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
(a) It allows him no action to take.
(b) The unbearable pain.
(c) That it will take him away from his family.
(d) That he will never see his new house fully decorated.
7. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
(b) When he bought his new house.
(c) When he went back to work.
(d) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
8. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
(a) She becomes more ill temperered.
(b) She wants to try for another child immediately.
(c) She pretends that the child isn't dead for months.
(d) She decides to have no more children.
9. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
(a) 17 years ago.
(b) 6 years ago.
(c) So long ago he can't remember.
(d) 20 years ago.
10. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because he is feeling better already.
(b) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(c) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(d) Because his wife can go out as usual.
11. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
12. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife affect his work?
(a) He becomes more and more ambitious.
(b) He misses several days.
(c) He becomes close friends with the judge.
(d) He is unprepared for court.
13. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(b) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(c) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(d) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
14. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
(a) Ivan falls and rips the curtain.
(b) Ivan falls on his wife.
(c) Ivan falls and breaks his leg.
(d) Ivan slips on a stepladder and receives a nasty bruise on his side.
15. Why does Ivan Ilych's animosity toward his former colleagues vanish?
(a) He realizes he was being foolish.
(b) They give him the promotion when he returns from his leave of absence.
(c) One of his former colleagues asks for his daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) Ivan Ilych's new position places him two steps above them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
2. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
4. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
5. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)