|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because his wife can go out as usual.
(b) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(c) Because he is feeling better already.
(d) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
2. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(b) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(c) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
(d) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
3. Is Ivan Ilych successful in understanding this?
(a) Yes, most of the time.
(b) Yes, but it takes time to ponder.
(c) No, he cannot.
(d) Yes, immediately.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She chastises him for whining.
(c) She insists he see a doctor.
(d) She criticizes him for fixing the curtain.
5. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
(b) His friends.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
6. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
(a) From a messager sent to tell him.
(b) From Praskovya Fedorovna.
(c) From reading the newspaper.
(d) From an announcement in the judge's chamber.
7. Without the distraction of work, what happens to Ivan Ilych?
(a) He falls in love with another woman.
(b) He realizes how much he loves his wife.
(c) He discovers what is wrong with his life.
(d) He falls into a profound depression.
8. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
9. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(c) Only a very small amount.
(d) Not at all.
10. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
(a) They have the same taste.
(b) His wife realizes Ivan has to find a house for the family quickly.
(c) His wife does what Ivan tells her to do.
(d) His wife will live anywhere so long as her family is with her.
11. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
(a) Tell his wife about them.
(b) Sit there and face them.
(c) Cry over them incessantly.
(d) Ignore them.
12. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(b) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(c) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(d) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
13. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
(a) That he is a good man.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) That he is an excellent husband.
(d) That he really wished he'd gone to medical school instead of becoming a lawyer.
14. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
(a) A judge.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A teacher.
15. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
(a) Positive thinking.
(b) Life or death.
(c) Whether the kidney or the appendix is diseased.
(d) Whether he can afford his new house now that he is not able to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor ignore?
2. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
3. Even after Ivan Ilych realizes that he is going to die, what kinds of thoughts does he try to think about?
4. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
5. What is wrong with Ivan Ilych's current job?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)