|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is all he ever wanted.
(b) It is exciting.
(c) It is unhappy.
(d) It is happy.
2. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
(a) His family.
(b) To getting that promotion that he knows he deserves.
(c) Decorating his house.
(d) The law.
3. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
(a) His wife realizes Ivan has to find a house for the family quickly.
(b) His wife does what Ivan tells her to do.
(c) His wife will live anywhere so long as her family is with her.
(d) They have the same taste.
4. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
(a) He cries.
(b) Ivan becomes constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(c) He ignores things that might upset him.
(d) He increases his dosage of his medication.
5. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
(a) To do whatever pleases his wife.
(b) To serve the judicial system honorably.
(c) To do whatever pleases those in authority.
(d) To be the best father to his children.
6. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) To save money.
(b) For a vacation.
(c) For a visit.
(d) To hide from the law.
7. Why is it ironic that Ivan resents that his death is trivial?
(a) Ivan wouldn't die if he would just take his medicine.
(b) Ivan enjoys all the attention his illness is getting him.
(c) Ivan isn't dying.
(d) His life has been trivial all along and that never bothered him.
8. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
(a) Life or death.
(b) Positive thinking.
(c) Whether the kidney or the appendix is diseased.
(d) Whether he can afford his new house now that he is not able to work.
9. Why is this year the hardest year of Ivan Ilych?
(a) His wife dies.
(b) His wife leaves him.
(c) He is passed over for promotion.
(d) His daughter is killed.
10. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
(a) He becomes delirious.
(b) He decides to stay in bed all day.
(c) He becomes increasingly irritable.
(d) He begs the doctor for medication to releave the pain.
11. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
12. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) A tumor.
(b) How thin and yellow he has become.
(c) How healthy he now looks.
(d) How old he really is.
13. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he bought his new house.
(b) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
(c) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(d) When he went back to work.
14. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
(b) Ivan tells his wife.
(c) Ivan begins to cry.
(d) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
15. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
(a) From a messager sent to tell him.
(b) From reading the newspaper.
(c) From an announcement in the judge's chamber.
(d) From Praskovya Fedorovna.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
2. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
3. Who says, "death will come to everyone as God's will?"
4. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
5. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)