|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Go to his bed and rest.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Take his medicine.
(d) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
2. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) Optimism and joy.
(b) Anger and hostility.
(c) Conviction and righteousness.
(d) Reproach or warning.
3. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
(a) 17 years ago.
(b) 20 years ago.
(c) So long ago he can't remember.
(d) 6 years ago.
4. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The following year.
(b) The summer of 1880.
(c) The day after he is not promoted.
(d) The summer of 1865.
5. Who did Peter Ivanovich meet first at Ivan Ilych's house?
(a) Ivan Ilych.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
6. Why is this year the hardest year of Ivan Ilych?
(a) His wife leaves him.
(b) His wife dies.
(c) His daughter is killed.
(d) He is passed over for promotion.
7. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
(a) Yes, but it takes time.
(b) No, not all the time.
(c) No, it doesn't work anymore.
(d) Yes, it works brilliantly.
8. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) For a vacation.
(b) For a visit.
(c) To hide from the law.
(d) To save money.
9. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
(b) When he bought his new house.
(c) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(d) When he went back to work.
10. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) At least 5,000 rubles.
(b) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(c) Enough to buy a summer house.
(d) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
11. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He cries uncontrollable.
(c) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
(d) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
12. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
(a) His wife.
(b) Every new stain or imperfection.
(c) His children.
(d) The family's new dog.
13. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
(b) Deep depression.
14. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
(a) She wants to try for another child immediately.
(b) She becomes more ill temperered.
(c) She decides to have no more children.
(d) She pretends that the child isn't dead for months.
15. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
(a) Of an elderly nature.
(b) Of schoolboy age.
(c) Old enough to be driving.
(d) Still in diapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
2. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
3. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
4. How does Ivan try to live?
5. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)