|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
(a) To be a good father to their children.
(b) To be a good provider.
(c) To entertain her all the time.
(d) To be home for dinner every night.
2. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
(a) That he must write his memoirs before it's too late.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) That his wife is truly beautiful.
(d) That his daughter is marrying the wrong man.
3. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
(a) A judge.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She criticizes him for fixing the curtain.
(c) She chastises him for whining.
(d) She insists he see a doctor.
5. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
(a) In the town where his wife's brother lives.
(b) In Moscow.
(c) In Petersburg.
(d) In the town he'd been living in all his life.
6. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
7. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
(b) That he will die over something so trivial.
(c) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
(d) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
8. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) Working too hard can kill you.
(b) We die as we live.
(c) Without family we are nothing.
(d) Leave the curtain the way it is.
9. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(b) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(c) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(d) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
10. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
(a) From a messager sent to tell him.
(b) From reading the newspaper.
(c) From an announcement in the judge's chamber.
(d) From Praskovya Fedorovna.
11. Without the distraction of work, what happens to Ivan Ilych?
(a) He realizes how much he loves his wife.
(b) He falls into a profound depression.
(c) He falls in love with another woman.
(d) He discovers what is wrong with his life.
12. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
(a) He plans to stop his daughter's marriage.
(b) He spends more times with his wife.
(c) He despairs continuously.
(d) He starts finds a suitable book in which to write his memoirs.
13. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich would like to marry Praskovya Fedorovna .
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna talks too much.
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna just wants to know if there is any additional government grant she can receive.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
14. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
(a) Ivan didn't get an apology from his boss for not promoting him.
(b) Others seem to see his struggles as quite ordinary.
(c) Ivan had been told he was going to get the promotion.
(d) The person promoted is less qualified for the job than he is.
15. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) Reproach or warning.
(b) Optimism and joy.
(c) Anger and hostility.
(d) Conviction and righteousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
2. What does the doctor ignore?
3. What does Ivan Ilych try to understand?
4. Why is this year the hardest year of Ivan Ilych?
5. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)