|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife.
(d) His son.
2. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A judge.
3. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
(a) He knows he has done some terrible things in his life.
(b) He doesn't want to leave his family.
(c) He cannot believe he is dying so young.
(d) He somehow feels he is exempt from death.
4. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Cry over them incessantly.
(c) Sit there and face them.
(d) Tell his wife about them.
5. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
(a) That he must write his memoirs before it's too late.
(b) That his wife is truly beautiful.
(c) That his daughter is marrying the wrong man.
(d) That he is dying.
6. What does the doctor ignore?
(a) The question as to whether or not Ivan's case is serious.
(b) Ivan's fear that bruises are starting to spread all over his body.
(c) Ivan's ability to pay him.
(d) Ivan's wife's questions.
7. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) Compassion and pity.
(b) Aloofness and indifference.
(c) Condescension and disdain.
(d) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
8. What has happened to the main character?
(a) He has been promoted.
(b) He has just become a grandfather.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has been newly wed.
9. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich would like to marry Praskovya Fedorovna .
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna talks too much.
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna just wants to know if there is any additional government grant she can receive.
10. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
(b) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(c) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(d) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
11. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) The main character's brother.
(b) A lifelong acquaintance and colleaque of the main character.
(c) The main character's son-in-law.
(d) The main character's boss.
12. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he is a good man.
(c) That he is an excellent husband.
(d) That he really wished he'd gone to medical school instead of becoming a lawyer.
13. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
(d) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
14. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(b) When he bought his new house.
(c) When he went back to work.
(d) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
15. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
(a) He ignores things that might upset him.
(b) He increases his dosage of his medication.
(c) He cries.
(d) Ivan becomes constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
2. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
3. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
4. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
5. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)