|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(b) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(c) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(d) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
2. To what or whom does Peter Ivanovich refuse to yield to?
(a) The prosecution.
(b) Ivan Ilych.
(c) The bicycle on the left.
(d) Any depressing thoughts.
3. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) How old he really is.
(b) A tumor.
(c) How healthy he now looks.
(d) How thin and yellow he has become.
4. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To his wife's brother's family.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) To America.
(d) To the countryside.
5. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
(b) He cries uncontrollable.
(c) He sleeps.
(d) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
6. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
(a) Increasing levels of power at work.
(b) Terrible headaches.
(c) Alienation of his children.
(d) Tension between he and his wife.
7. What does Ivan Ilych hear down the hall?
(b) An intruder.
(c) His family visiting with his brother-in-law.
(d) His family getting the house ready for the party that night.
8. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(a) Decorating his house.
(c) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Writing his memoirs.
9. When does Ivan Ilych's pain worsen?
(a) In the evening after dinner.
(b) In the morning after he wakes up.
(c) When he is upset.
(d) During the night.
10. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
(a) Ivan becomes constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(b) He increases his dosage of his medication.
(c) He ignores things that might upset him.
(d) He cries.
11. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
(a) He decides to stay in bed all day.
(b) He becomes delirious.
(c) He begs the doctor for medication to releave the pain.
(d) He becomes increasingly irritable.
12. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(c) Vladimir Ivanich.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
13. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
14. Where does Ivan try to work?
(a) The university nearby.
(b) His study.
(c) He doesn't try to work.
(d) The law courts.
15. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) Without family we are nothing.
(b) Leave the curtain the way it is.
(c) Working too hard can kill you.
(d) We die as we live.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
2. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
3. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
4. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
5. When Ivan Ilych gets home from the doctor, what does he do?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)