Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) 2 days later.
(b) 2 months later.
(c) 1 year later.
(d) 1 week later.
2. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
3. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
(b) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(c) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
(d) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
4. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(b) He is an excellent dancer.
(c) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(d) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
5. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) Condescension and disdain.
(b) Compassion and pity.
(c) Aloofness and indifference.
(d) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
6. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
(a) 6 years ago.
(b) 17 years ago.
(c) 20 years ago.
(d) So long ago he can't remember.
7. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(a) Only a very small amount.
(c) Not at all.
8. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
(a) Positive thinking.
(b) Life or death.
(c) Whether he can afford his new house now that he is not able to work.
(d) Whether the kidney or the appendix is diseased.
9. How does Ivan Ilych's wife behave toward his illness?
(a) She behaves as if Ivan has created this illness to annoy and inconvenience her.
(b) She becomes melancholy.
(c) She avoids Ivan.
(d) She becomes more loving than ever before toward Ivan.
10. Why is it ironic that Ivan resents that his death is trivial?
(a) His life has been trivial all along and that never bothered him.
(b) Ivan wouldn't die if he would just take his medicine.
(c) Ivan isn't dying.
(d) Ivan enjoys all the attention his illness is getting him.
11. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(b) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
(c) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(d) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
12. Why does Ivan Ilych marry?
(a) He wants his wife's money.
(b) His father-in-law forces him.
(c) It seems expected of him.
(d) He is in love.
13. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(b) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
(c) At least 5,000 rubles.
(d) Enough to buy a summer house.
14. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
(a) Reproach or warning.
(b) Conviction and righteousness.
(c) Optimism and joy.
(d) Anger and hostility.
15. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
(a) Ivan falls and breaks his leg.
(b) Ivan falls and rips the curtain.
(c) Ivan falls on his wife.
(d) Ivan slips on a stepladder and receives a nasty bruise on his side.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
2. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
3. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
4. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
5. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)