|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
(a) To be the best father to his children.
(b) To do whatever pleases those in authority.
(c) To do whatever pleases his wife.
(d) To serve the judicial system honorably.
2. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
(a) She insists he see a doctor.
(b) She chastises him for whining.
(c) She criticizes him for fixing the curtain.
(d) She ignores him.
3. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
(a) Still in diapers.
(b) Of schoolboy age.
(c) Of an elderly nature.
(d) Old enough to be driving.
4. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
(a) Being constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(b) His wife.
(c) The severe pain.
(d) Not being able to continue working at his new job.
5. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) How old he really is.
(b) How healthy he now looks.
(c) How thin and yellow he has become.
(d) A tumor.
6. Why are his wife and daughter anxious when Ivan Ilych arrives home?
(a) They are anxious because Ivan had been gone so long.
(b) They are anxious to hear what the doctor had to say.
(c) They are anxious to go out.
(d) They are anxious to get the house clean for the party that night.
7. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
(a) No, it doesn't work anymore.
(b) Yes, but it takes time.
(c) Yes, it works brilliantly.
(d) No, not all the time.
8. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
(a) His wife will live anywhere so long as her family is with her.
(b) His wife does what Ivan tells her to do.
(c) They have the same taste.
(d) His wife realizes Ivan has to find a house for the family quickly.
9. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
(a) Celebrate his love for his wife with a grand ball.
(b) Divorce his wife.
(c) To obtain a new job.
(d) Go to medical school.
10. What does Ivan Ilych hear down the hall?
(a) His family getting the house ready for the party that night.
(b) His family visiting with his brother-in-law.
(c) An intruder.
11. What does Ivan Ilych's son's face look like?
12. Why is it ironic that Ivan resents that his death is trivial?
(a) Ivan enjoys all the attention his illness is getting him.
(b) His life has been trivial all along and that never bothered him.
(c) Ivan isn't dying.
(d) Ivan wouldn't die if he would just take his medicine.
13. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
14. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan tells his wife.
(b) Ivan begins to cry.
(c) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
(d) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
15. When does Ivan Ilych's pain worsen?
(a) In the evening after dinner.
(b) In the morning after he wakes up.
(c) When he is upset.
(d) During the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
2. What relationship is the main character to Peter Ivanovich?
3. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
4. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
5. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)