|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
(a) He tries harder to make her happy.
(b) He carves out a life independent from her.
(c) He takes her on vacation.
(d) He buys a home near the sea.
2. When does Ivan Ilych's pain worsen?
(a) In the morning after he wakes up.
(b) When he is upset.
(c) In the evening after dinner.
(d) During the night.
3. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
(a) To save money.
(b) To hide from the law.
(c) For a vacation.
(d) For a visit.
4. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
(a) Whether he can afford his new house now that he is not able to work.
(b) Positive thinking.
(c) Whether the kidney or the appendix is diseased.
(d) Life or death.
5. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Praskovya Fedorovna talks too much.
(b) That Peter Ivanovich would like to marry Praskovya Fedorovna .
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(d) That Praskovya Fedorovna just wants to know if there is any additional government grant she can receive.
6. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) Condescension and disdain.
(b) Compassion and pity.
(c) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
(d) Aloofness and indifference.
7. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He cries uncontrollable.
(c) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
(d) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
8. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
(b) Deep depression.
9. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
(a) She chastises him for whining.
(b) She insists he see a doctor.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She criticizes him for fixing the curtain.
10. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(b) Praskovya Fedorovna.
11. What does Ivan Ilych try to understand?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) How to arrange his life's work in his memoirs.
(c) How his daughter could have accepted such a man's proposal of marriage.
(d) How he could not have noticed his wife's beauty sooner.
12. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
(b) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
(c) To continue working at his new job.
(d) To get his wife to listen to him.
13. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is exciting.
(b) It is unhappy.
(c) It is all he ever wanted.
(d) It is happy.
14. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
(a) Anger rises up inside him.
(b) He falls for the second time.
(c) He is relieved that he was finally able to admit it.
(d) He becomes dizzy and faints.
15. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(b) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
(c) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
(d) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ivan Ilych able to find a new home that will please both him and his wife?
2. What did the sight of Ivan Ilych seem to convey to Peter Ivanovich?
3. Why is it ironic that Ivan resents that his death is trivial?
4. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
5. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)