|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession is Ivan Ilych?
(a) A judge.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A doctor.
2. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
3. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
(a) That he is an excellent husband.
(b) That he really wished he'd gone to medical school instead of becoming a lawyer.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he is a good man.
4. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
(a) Peter Ivanovich.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) Vladimir Ivanich.
5. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(a) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
(b) Writing his memoirs.
(c) Decorating his house.
6. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan's wife.
(b) Ivan's brother-in-law.
(c) Ivan's doctor.
7. What does the doctor focus on?
(a) Whether or not the doctor has met Ivan before.
(b) Whether the pain is coming from the appendix or the kidney.
(c) Whether or not Ivan can pay the bill.
(d) How many other patients are waiting to be seen.
8. When does Ivan Ilych take a leave of absence from his job?
(a) The day after he is not promoted.
(b) The following year.
(c) The summer of 1880.
(d) The summer of 1865.
9. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
10. What does Ivan Ilych see as "doing his duty?"
(a) To be the best father to his children.
(b) To do whatever pleases those in authority.
(c) To serve the judicial system honorably.
(d) To do whatever pleases his wife.
11. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
(a) The doctor tells Ivan he needs to do more tests.
(b) The doctor tells Ivan that he has only weeks to live.
(c) The doctor tells Ivan that it isn't anything to worry about.
(d) The doctor states that he has already told Ivan what he considers proper.
12. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
(a) That his daughter is marrying the wrong man.
(b) That his wife is truly beautiful.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he must write his memoirs before it's too late.
13. How does Ivan Ilych react to the thought that he is dying?
(c) Deep depression.
14. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(c) Only a very small amount.
(d) Not at all.
15. After offering his condolences, what does Peter Ivanovich tell Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna has received all the money the government will give her.
(c) That Peter Ivanovich must leave.
(d) That Peter Ivanovich has been secretly in love with Praskovya Fedorovna for years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things that Ivan Ilych hears down the hall makes him react as he does?
2. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
3. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
4. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
5. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)