|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Ivan Ilych's professional title?
(b) Civil Lawyer.
(c) Public Prosecutor.
(d) District Attorney.
2. Ivan Ilych finally realizes, after seeing himself in the mirror, that his condition is a question of what?
(a) Whether he can afford his new house now that he is not able to work.
(b) Positive thinking.
(c) Life or death.
(d) Whether the kidney or the appendix is diseased.
3. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan begins to cry.
(b) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
(c) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
(d) Ivan tells his wife.
4. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
(a) Ivan didn't get an apology from his boss for not promoting him.
(b) Others seem to see his struggles as quite ordinary.
(c) The person promoted is less qualified for the job than he is.
(d) Ivan had been told he was going to get the promotion.
5. What are two of Ivan Ilych's symptoms?
(a) Other bruises appear on his body and the pain in his side.
(b) The weird taste in his mouth and his craving for blintzes.
(c) The weird taste in his mouth and the pain in his side.
(d) Nose bleeds and a terrible limp.
6. Even after Ivan Ilych realizes that he is going to die, what kinds of thoughts does he try to think about?
(a) How he can spend more time at the office.
(b) Thoughts that he considers more proper and healthy.
(c) What he needs to do to become healthy again.
(d) How he can stop his daughter's marriage.
7. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) Peter Ivanovich.
8. What does Ivan Ilych do the more he senses that his wife is bored all the time?
(a) He tries harder to make her happy.
(b) He takes her on vacation.
(c) He carves out a life independent from her.
(d) He buys a home near the sea.
9. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(b) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(c) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
(d) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
10. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
(a) The family's new dog.
(b) His children.
(c) Every new stain or imperfection.
(d) His wife.
11. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
(a) Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance.
(b) Peter Ivanovich.
(c) Ivan Ilych's son.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
12. How much will Ivan Ilych's new job pay on moving expenses?
(b) 5,000 rubles.
(c) 3,500 rubles.
(d) 1,500 rubles.
13. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He cries uncontrollable.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
(d) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
14. When does Ivan Ilych believe his illness began?
(a) When he went back to work.
(b) When he moved in with his brother-in-law.
(c) When he fell off the ladder and bruised his side.
(d) When he bought his new house.
15. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
(b) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
(c) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
(d) That he will die over something so trivial.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
2. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
3. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
4. Who says, "death will come to everyone as God's will?"
5. In Chapter 6, is Ivan able to replace his thoughts of death?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)