|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(a) Decorating his house.
(c) Writing his memoirs.
(d) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
2. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He cries uncontrollable.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
(d) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
3. What did Peter Ivanovich realize as he was speaking to Praskovya Fedorovna?
(a) That Praskovya Fedorovna talks too much.
(b) That Praskovya Fedorovna is very beautiful.
(c) That Praskovya Fedorovna just wants to know if there is any additional government grant she can receive.
(d) That Peter Ivanovich would like to marry Praskovya Fedorovna .
4. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(b) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(c) Because he is feeling better already.
(d) Because his wife can go out as usual.
5. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(b) Only a very small amount.
(c) Not at all.
6. Where did Ivan Ilych find a new job?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) In the town where his wife's brother lives.
(c) In the town he'd been living in all his life.
(d) In Petersburg.
7. When Peter Ivanovich encounters Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance, how to they look?
(a) Happy together.
(b) Ready to cry.
8. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
(a) It allows him no action to take.
(b) That it will take him away from his family.
(c) The unbearable pain.
(d) That he will never see his new house fully decorated.
9. How many of Ivan Ilych's children die?
10. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
(a) To be home for dinner every night.
(b) To entertain her all the time.
(c) To be a good provider.
(d) To be a good father to their children.
11. How does Ivan try to live?
(a) As he lived before he was dying.
(c) With love in his heart toward all.
(d) Carefully, so as not to make his condition worse.
12. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
(a) He is too busy to think about it.
(b) To protect himself.
(c) He thinks he is being foolish.
(d) He thinks he can still get well.
13. Which character does Chapter 2 discuss?
(a) Ivan Ilych.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(d) Peter Ivanovich.
14. Who comes to visit Ivan Ilych in Chapter 5?
(a) Peter Ivanovich.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) Vladimir Ivanich.
15. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is all he ever wanted.
(b) It is happy.
(c) It is exciting.
(d) It is unhappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what or whom does Peter Ivanovich refuse to yield to?
2. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
3. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
4. Why does Ivan Ilych react to his realization the way he does?
5. Who helps Ivan Ilych begin to realize that he is dying?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)