|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
(a) Tension between he and his wife.
(b) Increasing levels of power at work.
(c) Alienation of his children.
(d) Terrible headaches.
2. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(c) Only a very small amount.
(d) Not at all.
3. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To America.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) To his wife's brother's family.
(d) To the countryside.
4. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(b) Because his wife can go out as usual.
(c) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(d) Because he is feeling better already.
5. Why does Ivan Ilych marry?
(a) It seems expected of him.
(b) He wants his wife's money.
(c) His father-in-law forces him.
(d) He is in love.
6. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
(a) It is nothing to worry about.
(b) It is not as bad as he thought it was.
(c) It is very bad.
(d) Ivan doesn't guess at the doctor's prognosis.
7. Ivan Ilych's chief concern is to what?
(a) To get his wife to listen to him.
(b) To be well enough to attend the party that evening.
(c) To continue working at his new job.
(d) To follow doctor's orders exactly.
8. What is Praskovya Fedorovna's relationship to the main character?
9. Is Ivan Ilych in denial about his condition?
(a) Yes, and his family is trying to convince him how serious his condition is.
(b) No, he realizes he is going to die and is getting his will in order.
(c) Yes, he refuses to accept the seriousness of his condition.
(d) Yes, though his protective shield is starting to crack.
10. Why are his wife and daughter anxious when Ivan Ilych arrives home?
(a) They are anxious to go out.
(b) They are anxious to hear what the doctor had to say.
(c) They are anxious to get the house clean for the party that night.
(d) They are anxious because Ivan had been gone so long.
11. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
(a) Ivan falls and rips the curtain.
(b) Ivan slips on a stepladder and receives a nasty bruise on his side.
(c) Ivan falls on his wife.
(d) Ivan falls and breaks his leg.
12. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
(a) To obtain a new job.
(b) Go to medical school.
(c) Divorce his wife.
(d) Celebrate his love for his wife with a grand ball.
13. What does Ivan Ilych recognize in the doctor's professional air?
(a) Compassion and pity.
(b) Aloofness and indifference.
(c) Condescension and disdain.
(d) His own attitude toward an accused person in court.
14. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) Leave the curtain the way it is.
(b) Without family we are nothing.
(c) Working too hard can kill you.
(d) We die as we live.
15. What does Ivan Ilych hear down the hall?
(a) His family visiting with his brother-in-law.
(c) An intruder.
(d) His family getting the house ready for the party that night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it in the novel?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's view his life?
3. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
4. Who is the main character?
5. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)