|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(c) Vladimir Ivanich.
(d) Praskovya Fedorovna.
2. How does Ivan Ilych respond when confronted with the symptoms of his illness?
(a) Ivan begins to cry.
(b) Ivan asserts that they are all in good health.
(c) Ivan tells his wife.
(d) Ivan asks his daughter for help.
3. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
(a) His family.
(b) Decorating his house.
(c) To getting that promotion that he knows he deserves.
(d) The law.
4. What are the symptoms that Ivan Ilych has?
(a) He had terrible headaches and is balding.
(b) He has gained a lot of weight and limps.
(c) He is unable to walk and or lift his right arm.
(d) He is thin and yellow.
5. Who is the first to leave the event that happened on Friday?
(a) Peter Ivanovich.
(b) Ivan Ilych's daughter and fiance.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
(d) Ivan Ilych's son.
6. Is Ivan Ilych in denial about his condition?
(a) Yes, though his protective shield is starting to crack.
(b) No, he realizes he is going to die and is getting his will in order.
(c) Yes, he refuses to accept the seriousness of his condition.
(d) Yes, and his family is trying to convince him how serious his condition is.
7. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) Leave the curtain the way it is.
(b) We die as we live.
(c) Without family we are nothing.
(d) Working too hard can kill you.
8. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
(a) Every new stain or imperfection.
(b) His wife.
(c) The family's new dog.
(d) His children.
9. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
10. How old is Ivan Ilych's son?
(a) Old enough to be driving.
(b) Of schoolboy age.
(c) Of an elderly nature.
(d) Still in diapers.
11. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
(a) She pretends that the child isn't dead for months.
(b) She decides to have no more children.
(c) She wants to try for another child immediately.
(d) She becomes more ill temperered.
12. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
(a) To a wedding.
(b) To argue a court case.
(c) To a grand ball.
(d) To a funeral.
13. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
(a) He spends more times with his wife.
(b) He starts finds a suitable book in which to write his memoirs.
(c) He despairs continuously.
(d) He plans to stop his daughter's marriage.
14. How satisfied with his life is Ivan Ilych?
(a) Only a very small amount.
(b) Not at all.
15. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
(a) He ignores things that might upset him.
(b) Ivan becomes constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(c) He increases his dosage of his medication.
(d) He cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor ignore?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
3. What does Ivan Ilych think his wife wants of him?
4. To what or whom does Peter Ivanovich refuse to yield to?
5. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)