|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
(a) Ivan falls and breaks his leg.
(b) Ivan falls on his wife.
(c) Ivan falls and rips the curtain.
(d) Ivan slips on a stepladder and receives a nasty bruise on his side.
2. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To his wife's brother's family.
(b) To the countryside.
(c) To America.
(d) To the seaside.
3. What does Ivan Ilych's wife tell him to do, after he gets back from the doctor?
(a) Tell her all about the doctor's visit.
(b) Take his medicine.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Go to his bed and rest.
4. When Ivan Ilych looks in the mirror some time after greeting his brother-in-law, what does he see for the first time?
(a) How healthy he now looks.
(b) A tumor.
(c) How thin and yellow he has become.
(d) How old he really is.
5. What does Ivan Ilych think of his marriage?
(a) It is unhappy.
(b) It is all he ever wanted.
(c) It is happy.
(d) It is exciting.
6. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to his worsening pain?
(a) She insists he see a doctor.
(b) She criticizes him for fixing the curtain.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She chastises him for whining.
7. Why does Ivan Ilych think that his case might not be so serious after all?
(a) Because the doctor tells him not to worry.
(b) Because he reads about it in a medical book.
(c) Because he is feeling better already.
(d) Because his wife can go out as usual.
8. How many children does Ivan Ilych and his wife have together?
9. What does Ivan Ilych do for a few hours after seeing himself in the mirror for the first time in quite a while?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) Ivan tries to think positively about his situation.
(c) He screams at anyone who looks at him.
(d) He cries uncontrollable.
10. Why are his wife and daughter anxious when Ivan Ilych arrives home?
(a) They are anxious to go out.
(b) They are anxious to hear what the doctor had to say.
(c) They are anxious to get the house clean for the party that night.
(d) They are anxious because Ivan had been gone so long.
11. Why does Ivan Ilych's animosity toward his former colleagues vanish?
(a) He realizes he was being foolish.
(b) One of his former colleagues asks for his daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) They give him the promotion when he returns from his leave of absence.
(d) Ivan Ilych's new position places him two steps above them.
12. With whom does Ivan Ilych play the game that he enjoys?
(a) His son.
(c) His friends.
(d) His wife.
13. What is the conflict in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan feels that know one is listening to him.
(b) Ivan cannot stay awake, but he has work to do.
(c) Ivan still cannot accept that he may be dying.
(d) Ivan dislikes his brother-in-law but must visit with him.
14. To what or whom does Peter Ivanovich refuse to yield to?
(a) Ivan Ilych.
(b) The prosecution.
(c) Any depressing thoughts.
(d) The bicycle on the left.
15. Is Ivan Ilych successful in understanding this?
(a) Yes, but it takes time to ponder.
(b) No, he cannot.
(c) Yes, immediately.
(d) Yes, most of the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych consider the worst part of death?
2. Who did Peter Ivanovich meet first at Ivan Ilych's house?
3. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
4. Why doesn't Ivan Ilych change his life?
5. How long ago did Ivan Ilych start his career?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)