|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan Ilych try to replace thoughts of death?
(a) He thinks he can still get well.
(b) He thinks he is being foolish.
(c) He is too busy to think about it.
(d) To protect himself.
2. How much money does Ivan Ilych need to be paid?
(a) Enough to afford to send his son to medical school.
(b) No less than 10,000 rubles.
(c) At least 5,000 rubles.
(d) Enough to buy a summer house.
3. Where does Ivan Ilych take his family when he takes a leave of absence from his job?
(a) To America.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) To his wife's brother's family.
(d) To the countryside.
4. Once settled, what makes Ivan Ilych irritable?
(a) The family's new dog.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) Every new stain or imperfection.
5. What happens to Ivan Ilych one day as he is adjusting a curtain?
(a) Ivan slips on a stepladder and receives a nasty bruise on his side.
(b) Ivan falls and rips the curtain.
(c) Ivan falls and breaks his leg.
(d) Ivan falls on his wife.
6. How does Ivan Ilych's view his life?
(a) As extraordinary.
(b) As exciting.
(c) Exactly the way he hoped it would be.
(d) As most ordinary.
7. What does Ivan Ilych see in the eyes of his brother-in-law?
8. After seeing himself for the first time in many months in the mirror, what reaction does Ivan Ilych have to what he sees?
(a) He falls for the second time.
(b) He becomes dizzy and faints.
(c) Anger rises up inside him.
(d) He is relieved that he was finally able to admit it.
9. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Ivan's brother-in-law.
(b) Ivan's wife.
(d) Ivan's doctor.
10. To what event did Peter Ivanovich go to on Friday?
(a) To a funeral.
(b) To a grand ball.
(c) To a wedding.
(d) To argue a court case.
11. What does Ivan Ilych admit to himself for the first time after seeing himself in the mirror?
(a) That he is a good man.
(b) That he is an excellent husband.
(c) That he really wished he'd gone to medical school instead of becoming a lawyer.
(d) That he is dying.
12. How does Ivan Ilych react to his worsening pain?
(a) He begs the doctor for medication to releave the pain.
(b) He becomes increasingly irritable.
(c) He becomes delirious.
(d) He decides to stay in bed all day.
13. What has Ivan Ilych's ambitions resulted in?
(a) Alienation of his children.
(b) Increasing levels of power at work.
(c) Tension between he and his wife.
(d) Terrible headaches.
14. Who is Ivan Ilych's wife?
(a) Vladimir Ivanich.
(c) Praskovya Fedorovna.
15. How does Ivan try to live?
(b) As he lived before he was dying.
(c) Carefully, so as not to make his condition worse.
(d) With love in his heart toward all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ivan Ilych knows he gave his life to what?
2. Why doesn't Ivan Ilych change his life?
3. What does Ivan Ilych think will solve his new problem?
4. What offends Ivan Ilych the most about being passed over for a promotion?
5. How long after Ivan Ilych sees the doctor does Chapter 5 begin?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)