Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
2. Name four components of the plot in Chapter 1.
3. What sort of world has Ivan left behind? Give 3 examples to support your idea(s).
4. How does Gerasim view death?
5. Explain how reactions to Ivan's death by Gerasim and Ivan's son differ from the reactions of all the other characters in Chapter 1.
6. How could Ivan's death serve as an awakening for his lifetime acquaintance, Peter? Does Peter avail himself of this awakening?
7. In Chapter 2, how does Ivan see his life and why does he think this?
8. How does the author see Ivan's life and why?
9. Describe the relationship between Ivan and his wife.
10. How is Ivan's experience of death in Chapter 2 similar to Peter Ivanovich's experience of death in Chapter 1?
11. How is Ivan's sense of power juxtaposed in Chapter 2?
12. How does making choices based on convention affect Ivan?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)