|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan Ilych's animosity toward his former colleagues vanish?
(a) He realizes he was being foolish.
(b) One of his former colleagues asks for his daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) Ivan Ilych's new position places him two steps above them.
(d) They give him the promotion when he returns from his leave of absence.
2. When Ivan Ilych discovers what makes his pain worse, how does he deal with it?
(a) He increases his dosage of his medication.
(b) He ignores things that might upset him.
(c) He cries.
(d) Ivan becomes constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
3. What did Praskovya Fedorovna tell Peter Ivanovich about the main character?
(a) He lay screaming almost non-stop for the last three days.
(b) He is excited about his daughter's wedding.
(c) He will make a wonderful grandfather.
(d) He is an excellent dancer.
4. How did Peter Ivanovich learn the fate of the main character?
(a) From a messager sent to tell him.
(b) From Praskovya Fedorovna.
(c) From an announcement in the judge's chamber.
(d) From reading the newspaper.
5. What causes Ivan Ilych much distress?
(a) His wife.
(b) Being constantly on guard against anything that might distress him.
(c) Not being able to continue working at his new job.
(d) The severe pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor respond when Ivan Ilych presses him for an answer to the seriousness of his symptoms?
2. Why does Ivan Ilych take his family there?
3. How does Ivan Ilych's wife react to each child's loss?
4. What does Ivan Ilych guess the doctor's prognosis is?
5. What does Ivan Ilych feel toward what he hears down the hall?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)