|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ivan Ilych used as an escape from reality?
(b) Writing his memoirs.
(c) Trying to stop the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Decorating his house.
2. What major theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 6?
(a) Working too hard can kill you.
(b) We die as we live.
(c) Without family we are nothing.
(d) Leave the curtain the way it is.
3. Even after Ivan Ilych realizes that he is going to die, what kinds of thoughts does he try to think about?
(a) What he needs to do to become healthy again.
(b) How he can stop his daughter's marriage.
(c) Thoughts that he considers more proper and healthy.
(d) How he can spend more time at the office.
4. What galls Ivan Ilych to think?
(a) That he will die over something so trivial.
(b) That he won't have enough time to finish his memoirs.
(c) That he wasted so much time with his wife.
(d) That he cannot stop his daughter from marrying the wrong man.
5. Why does Ivan Ilych have difficulty working?
(a) Because the pain is too great.
(b) Because death intrudes his thoughts there, too.
(c) Because he isn't as interested in it as he used to be.
(d) Because he's been away from work for too long.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych deal with the revelation in Chapter 6?
2. Why is this year the hardest year of Ivan Ilych?
3. What is Ivan Ilych forced to do with his thoughts of death?
4. After seeing himself in the mirror, what does Ivan Ilych finally admit to himself?
5. What year is it in the novel?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)