* Peter Ivanovich, a lifelong acquaintance of Ivan Ilych, announces the death of Ivan Ilych to colleagues in the judge's chamber.
* Everyone in the room begins to wonder who will be promoted to fill the job vacancy.
* Peter goes to Ivan's funeral on Friday at one o'clock at Ivan's fashionable house with one of his colleagues, Schwartz.
* Peter and Schwartz try to make a quick visit, but Ivan's wife pulls Peter aside to talk.
* Schwartz gets to leave and to enjoy his weekly bridge game without Peter.
* Peter tells Ivan's wife that she will not get any more money from the government for Ivan's death.
* Peter ignores the warnings that Ivan's death has for him at every turn while at the funeral.
* Gerasim, Ivan's servant, accepts death as a part of life.
* Ivan's life is ordinary, but he is satisfied with it.
* He is committed to doing...
This section contains 1,687 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)