• Peter Ivanovich, a lifelong acquaintance of Ivan Ilych, announces the death of Ivan Ilych to colleagues in the judge's chamber.
• Everyone in the room begins to wonder who will be promoted to fill the job vacancy.
• Peter goes to Ivan's funeral on Friday at one o'clock at Ivan's fashionable house with one of his colleagues, Schwartz.
• Peter and Schwartz try to make a quick visit, but Ivan's wife pulls Peter aside to talk.
• Schwartz gets to leave and to enjoy his weekly bridge game without Peter.
• Peter tells Ivan's wife that she will not get any more money from the government for Ivan's death.
• Peter ignores the warnings that Ivan's death has for him at every turn while at the funeral.
• Gerasim, Ivan's servant, accepts death as a part of life.
• Ivan's life is ordinary, but he is satisfied with it.
• He is committed to doing...
This section contains 1,889 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)