|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eddie go back to London on Sunday night?
2. How does Eddie respond to Portia's accusation that he and Anna are lovers?
3. Whose lighter is used at the movie theatre?
4. How does Eddie respond to Portia's confronting him about holding hands at the movie theatre?
5. What is the reason Portia gives Lilian for why she is going to confront Eddie in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A novel has five stages: conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Divide this novel into its component stages. What event ended each stage? Why? How did you determine the division of the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Portia has many weaknesses; her insecurity, her eerie silence, et cetera. Choose one of these weaknesses, and examine how it might have contributed to her poor relationship with Eddie. After the relationship with Eddie came to an end, was this facet of her character improved, or worsened? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Eddie and Robert Pidgeon. Why does Anna say that neither of them are particularly genuine men? What character flaws do they share? Are there differences between the two? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)