|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Portia write anything about her outings with Eddie in her diary?
(a) It is difficult for her to find words to describe him.
(b) Eddie would not want her to.
(c) She doesn't like to write about her feelings.
(d) She only writes about major events in her diary.
2. What does Major Brutt send to Portia as a gift?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A puzzle.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A new dress.
3. Why is Portia nervous in chapter 8?
(a) She is insecure about her appearance.
(b) She has never been to tea before.
(c) She is worried that she and Eddie will be discovered together.
(d) Being around Eddie makes her nervous.
4. Who asks Major Brutt if he knows Robert Pidgeon?
(c) No one, Major Brutt brought it up.
5. Who is Portia's mother?
(a) None of these is correct.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) Mrs. Quayne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Brutt accept from Thomas?
2. Where did Mr. Quayne meet Irene?
3. Who is Portia's friend at school?
4. What does Thomas tell Portia about love?
5. What does Matchett find when she tries to fluff Portia's pillow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia tell Lilian about why she likes Eddie?
2. What was Eddie and Anna's relationship like after Eddie started working for Thomas?
3. What is contained in the letter Anna writes to Eddie?
4. How was Portia conceived?
5. What happens when Portia comes home early unexpectedly?
6. Why does Portia have to go stay on the coast in spring?
7. Why doesn't Portia want to write in her diary how she feels about leaving Waikiki?
8. What attracted Thomas most to Anna?
9. Why is Portia staying with Anna and Thomas?
10. What does Portia think about as she sits in Thomas's study with him?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)