|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first of Eddie's character flaws to be revealed?
(a) He is a ladies' man.
(b) He drinks too much.
(c) He is addicted to gambling.
(d) He has frightening mood swings.
2. How does Portia respond to Matchett's concerns about Eddie?
(a) She says that she will consider what Matchett has said.
(b) She says that she is happy, and that's all she cares about.
(c) She asks Matchett what she knows about Eddie.
(d) She doesn't respond to Matchett.
3. Why does Mrs. Heccomb make Portia nervous?
(a) She has violent mood swings.
(b) She drinks too much.
(c) She is too talkative.
(d) She is too quiet.
4. How did Major Brutt get to know Robert Pidgeon?
(a) They were wounded and on leave together.
(b) Robert worked for Major Brutt.
(c) Major Brutt worked for Robert.
(d) Robert and Major Brutt are related.
5. How does Daphne greet Portia?
(a) She nods to Portia, and goes back to her reading.
(b) She introduces herself, and asks about Thomas and Anna.
(c) She ignores Portia completely.
(d) She turns off her radio and shakes Portia's hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Quayne do when she received the news that Portia had been born?
2. Why is Thomas surprised to see his visitor in part 1, chapter 7?
3. Why does Daphne feel grumpy around Portia?
4. Who is Portia's friend at school?
5. What happened to Eddie soon after he met Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miss Paullie's school like?
2. What is the reason Matchett gives Portia for Anna's displeasure with her in chapter 2?
3. What does Portia tell Lilian about why she likes Eddie?
4. Why is it a surprise when Major Brutt visits the Quaynes' home?
5. What attracted Thomas most to Anna?
6. Portia tells Lilian she wants to confront Eddie about what?
7. What does Portia tell Major Brutt about Anna and Thomas?
8. Why doesn't Portia want to write in her diary how she feels about leaving Waikiki?
9. How does Thomas feel about Portia?
10. Why is Anna avoiding going home?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)