|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is the novel set?
(b) New York.
2. How does Portia feel about school?
(a) She doesn't mind it, but isn't excited about it.
(b) She enjoys it because it's a break from her home.
(c) She enjoys it because it's a challenge.
(d) She doesn't like it and gets in trouble a lot.
3. What does Major Brutt accept from Thomas?
(a) A job offer.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A drink.
(d) A loan.
4. What was the agreement that Anna and Eddie reached after Eddie got his job?
(a) They agreed to get along for Thomas's sake.
(b) They agreed to close the door on their former relationship.
(c) They agreed to continue seeing each other, but only in secret.
(d) They agreed to pretend that nothing had happened between them.
5. What position does Thomas hold at his work?
(a) He is a lower-level employee.
(b) He is a partner and partial owner.
(c) He owns the company.
(d) He is a supervisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Portia nervous in chapter 8?
2. What does Thomas notice about Portia and Eddie the first time he sees them together?
3. How does Portia feel about herself when the teacher reprimands her?
4. What happened to Anna just before she met Thomas?
5. Why did Denis ask Anna to check up on Eddie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dickie tell Portia before she leaves Waikiki?
2. What was Mr. Quayne's life like after he married Irene?
3. What attracted Thomas most to Anna?
4. What happens when Anna and Thomas come home from their trip?
5. What does Portia tell Lilian about why she likes Eddie?
6. What happens at the movie theater?
7. Why did Anna and Thomas decide not to have any children?
8. How did Anna meet Eddie?
9. How was Portia conceived?
10. What does Thomas wonder when Major Brutt visits?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)