|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia ask Daphne while they are walking in chapter 4?
(a) If she might have a friend come and stay for the weekend.
(b) How many boyfriends she has had.
(c) If Portia can come live with them permanently.
(d) Whether it is a good idea for her to date Eddie.
2. What did Mr. Bursely call Portia?
(a) A sweet little kid.
(b) A charming little woman.
(c) A prize for the eyes.
(d) A wonderful future wife.
3. Eddie tells Portia that he will always love her, as long as she doesn't do what?
(a) Cheat on him.
(b) Lie to him.
(c) Date anyone else.
(d) Change, or grow up.
4. According to Eddie, why should it be obvious to Portia that he loves her?
(a) Because he holds hands with others, but he only kisses her.
(b) Because he pays when they go on a date.
(c) Because he sends her letters every week.
(d) Because he traveled so far to see her.
5. How many parties has Portia been to?
(a) Only a few, never with many people.
(b) None; Daphne's party is her first.
(c) A few, but only hosted by family.
(d) Too many for her to count.
6. What physical change has come over Portia during her trip?
(a) She has lost weight.
(b) She is very pale.
(c) She has gained weight.
(d) She has more color in her cheeks.
7. What does Anna do as soon as she returns home from her trip abroad?
(a) She calls Major Brutt.
(b) She retires to her room.
(c) She starts cleaning.
(d) She starts complaining.
8. What is the reason Portia gives Lilian for why she is going to confront Eddie in chapter 3?
(a) She wants to make amends because she feels that Eddie's philandering is her fault somehow.
(b) She wants to confront him about the way he and Anna have been plotting behind her back.
(c) She wants to leave him.
(d) She wants to know how he truly feels about her.
9. Whose lighter is used at the movie theatre?
10. Why does Portia begin to gain respect for Daphne?
(a) She meets Daphne's friends.
(b) She finds out that Daphne is a foster mother.
(c) She meets Daphne's boyfriend.
(d) She goes to visit Daphne at work.
11. Why does Eddie call Anna at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) To speak with Thomas.
(b) To admonish her for reading Portia's diary.
(c) To confess his suppressed love for her.
(d) To ask her for advice.
12. What does Cecil ask Portia at the end of chapter 4?
(a) Where her parents are.
(b) If she has a boyfriend.
(c) Why she is staying with Mrs. Heccomb.
(d) If she will go on a date with him.
13. What makes Daphne's friends warm up to Portia?
(a) Her relationship with the Quaynes.
(b) The mention of a boyfriend.
(c) Her outgoing personality.
(d) Knowledge that she is an orphan.
14. How does Eddie respond to Portia's confronting him about holding hands at the movie theatre?
(a) He says that he just wanted to make friends, and is condescending toward Portia.
(b) He doesn't see why she is upset, but apologizes anyway.
(c) He doesn't respond, but walks away, and goes back home.
(d) He apologizes sincerely, and swears that it won't happen again.
15. With whom is Eddie holding hands at the movie theatre?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to cry on the balcony?
2. Where is Portia during Anna's lunch with Major Brutt and the Peppinghams?
3. What advice does Daphne give Portia regarding Eddie?
4. Who comes to visit Portia in chapter 8?
5. Why does Portia refuse to go home after her breakup with Eddie?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)