|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Eddie holding hands at the movie theatre?
(d) No one.
2. Who tells Portia that they will be sorry to see her go?
3. What is the reason Portia gives Lilian for why she is going to confront Eddie in chapter 3?
(a) She wants to leave him.
(b) She wants to know how he truly feels about her.
(c) She wants to confront him about the way he and Anna have been plotting behind her back.
(d) She wants to make amends because she feels that Eddie's philandering is her fault somehow.
4. Who begins to cry on the balcony?
5. Who tells Portia that she hurt someone's feelings?
6. What does Matchett think has changed about Portia while she was at Waikiki?
(a) She doesn't seem happy.
(b) She is more outspoken.
(c) She is more timid.
(d) She is less confident.
7. What does Portia leave behind at Eddie's house?
(a) A letter for him.
(b) Her coin purse.
(c) Her locket.
(d) Her school bag.
8. With whom does Portia go on a date in chapter 5?
9. What is Anna doing while she is standing at the window?
(a) Looking to see if Thomas would be home soon.
(b) Trying to escape her thoughts.
(c) Spying on Thomas and Portia.
(d) Looking at the scenic view, which she had missed during her trip abroad.
10. What does Anna say in her letter to Eddie?
(a) That he should be more careful about making personal phone calls at work so he doesn't get in trouble.
(b) That he should mind his own business and stay out of others' affairs.
(c) That she has feelings for him, but doesn't dare tell anyone.
(d) That he needs to stay away from Portia from then on.
11. Whom is Portia daydreaming about in church at the beginning of chapter 4?
(a) Mr. Bursely.
12. What does Daphne want to know about Portia?
(a) Where she has lived before.
(b) If she is attracted to Dickie.
(c) If she really is an orphan.
(d) If she really has a boyfriend.
13. Whom does Portia run to see after her breakup with Eddie?
(b) Major Brutt.
14. According to Eddie, why is their fight all Portia's fault?
(a) She is insecure and wants his attentions all to herself.
(b) She misunderstood the nature of their relationship.
(c) She has too many expectations, and doesn't understand him enough.
(d) She is overreacting to the situation.
15. Why does Eddie call Anna at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) To admonish her for reading Portia's diary.
(b) To confess his suppressed love for her.
(c) To ask her for advice.
(d) To speak with Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Major Brutt feel about Eddie?
2. What physical change has come over Portia during her trip?
3. Who comes to dinner at the end of chapter 6?
4. What makes Daphne's friends warm up to Portia?
5. How does Portia respond when Eddie walks away during their argument?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)