|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. Quentin, what is friendship often about?
(a) Overlooking others' faults.
(b) Finding someone with fewer faults than oneself.
(c) Emphasizing others' faults.
(d) Pretending that others have no faults.
2. Eddie tells Portia that he will always love her, as long as she doesn't do what?
(a) Lie to him.
(b) Cheat on him.
(c) Change, or grow up.
(d) Date anyone else.
3. Who tells Portia that they will be sorry to see her go?
4. According to Eddie, why should it be obvious to Portia that he loves her?
(a) Because he holds hands with others, but he only kisses her.
(b) Because he sends her letters every week.
(c) Because he traveled so far to see her.
(d) Because he pays when they go on a date.
5. Why does Eddie call Anna at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) To speak with Thomas.
(b) To ask her for advice.
(c) To admonish her for reading Portia's diary.
(d) To confess his suppressed love for her.
6. What does Anna suddenly want to do with her letters from Robert Pidgeon?
(a) Show them to Thomas.
(b) Throw them away.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Throw them in Portia's face.
7. What makes Daphne's friends warm up to Portia?
(a) Her relationship with the Quaynes.
(b) Her outgoing personality.
(c) The mention of a boyfriend.
(d) Knowledge that she is an orphan.
8. Why does Major Brutt want to take Portia home?
(a) He doesn't want to tarnish his reputation by having a young girl in his hotel room.
(b) He doesn't want to be in the middle of any argument between Portia and the Quaynes.
(c) He wants the Quaynes to deal with her problems, so that he doesn't have to.
(d) He doesn't know how to handle a young girl who is obviously broken-hearted.
9. When Portia refuses to go home, what does Eddie do?
(a) Calls her a cab.
(b) Walks home, leaving her alone.
(c) Takes her back to his place.
(d) Stays in the park with her.
10. How does Eddie respond to Portia's accusation that he and Anna are lovers?
(a) Even if he wanted to, Anna would not betray Thomas.
(b) He is not, nor has he ever been, attracted to Anna.
(c) Even if he wanted to, Anna is not that passionate.
(d) Even if Anna wanted to, Eddie would not betray Portia.
11. How does Major Brutt feel about Eddie?
(a) He didn't know him well, but liked him well enough.
(b) He never really liked him.
(c) He didn't know him well enough to have an opinion.
(d) He always thought he was kind but misguided.
12. Whose feelings did Portia hurt by not spending enough time with them?
13. What does Portia tell Major Brutt about Thomas and Anna?
(a) That Anna and Eddie are lovers, and Thomas doesn't know.
(b) That they are cruel to her and don't want her to live with them anymore.
(c) That they make fun of him behind his back.
(d) That they have forbidden her to return home.
14. Which room does Portia think Eddie might stay in if he came to visit her at Waikiki?
(a) She won't consider having him visit; it would be improper.
(b) Portia's room.
(c) A small one, filled with cardboard boxes.
(d) Dickie's room.
15. Why does Eddie tell Portia to go away in chapter 7?
(a) He feels smothered, because he doesn't feel for her what she feels for him.
(b) His feelings for her are stronger than the ones she has for him.
(c) He wants to be alone for a while.
(d) He doesn't want to hurt her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Portia respond when Eddie walks away during their argument?
2. Whom is Portia daydreaming about in church at the beginning of chapter 4?
3. What does Portia ask Daphne while they are walking in chapter 4?
4. What does Cecil ask Portia at the end of chapter 4?
5. Who comes to dinner at the end of chapter 6?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)