|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Portia refuse to go home after her breakup with Eddie?
(a) Matchett is not there to protect her.
(b) She wants to go back to Eddie's.
(c) She doesn't want to face Anna.
(d) She doesn't want to face Thomas.
2. Why does Eddie call Anna at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) To speak with Thomas.
(b) To ask her for advice.
(c) To admonish her for reading Portia's diary.
(d) To confess his suppressed love for her.
3. What is the reason Portia gives Lilian for why she is going to confront Eddie in chapter 3?
(a) She wants to know how he truly feels about her.
(b) She wants to make amends because she feels that Eddie's philandering is her fault somehow.
(c) She wants to leave him.
(d) She wants to confront him about the way he and Anna have been plotting behind her back.
4. How does Portia respond when Eddie walks away during their argument?
(a) She screams insults at his retreating back.
(b) She lets him go, then runs home to cry on Daphne's shoulder.
(c) She says that he is her reason for living, and promises to try to get used to the way he is.
(d) She lets him go, then sits down and cries alone.
5. Why does Eddie tell Portia to go away in chapter 7?
(a) He feels smothered, because he doesn't feel for her what she feels for him.
(b) He doesn't want to hurt her.
(c) He wants to be alone for a while.
(d) His feelings for her are stronger than the ones she has for him.
6. What does Eddie expect of Portia while he visits her at Waikiki?
(a) That if anyone gives him trouble she will defend him.
(b) That she will not speak to Dickie, or any other man.
(c) That she will devote all of her time to entertaining him.
(d) That she will pretend that she doesn't know him very well.
7. Who tells Portia that they will be sorry to see her go?
8. Who comes to dinner at the end of chapter 6?
(b) Robert Pidgeon.
(d) Major Brutt.
9. What is Anna's rationale for why she dislikes Portia so much?
(a) She blames Portia for her recent poor relationship with Thomas.
(b) Anna does not dislike Portia.
(c) Portia's presence reminds Anna of the children she might have had.
(d) Portia reminds her of herself at that age.
10. Who tells Portia that she hurt someone's feelings?
11. What does St. Quentin tell Portia during their walk to Mandeville Place?
(a) That Portia should find a new place to keep her diary.
(b) That Anna dislikes Portia intensely, and wishes she were gone.
(c) That she should not associate herself with people like the Quaynes.
(d) That he is in love with Anna.
12. How does Major Brutt feel about Eddie?
(a) He didn't know him well, but liked him well enough.
(b) He always thought he was kind but misguided.
(c) He didn't know him well enough to have an opinion.
(d) He never really liked him.
13. What did Mr. Bursely call Portia?
(a) A charming little woman.
(b) A prize for the eyes.
(c) A wonderful future wife.
(d) A sweet little kid.
14. What does Anna suddenly want to do with her letters from Robert Pidgeon?
(a) Throw them away.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Show them to Thomas.
(d) Throw them in Portia's face.
15. Why does Dickie ask Portia to dance?
(a) Because he likes Portia.
(b) Because he wants to make Clara jealous.
(c) Because he wants to annoy his sister.
(d) Because he thinks Portia might be lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Anna the bouquet of pink carnations?
2. Eddie tells Portia that he will always love her, as long as she doesn't do what?
3. Whom does Eddie flirt with at Bursely's party?
4. According to Eddie, why should it be obvious to Portia that he loves her?
5. How does Eddie respond to Portia's confronting him about holding hands at the movie theatre?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)