|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eddie, why is their fight all Portia's fault?
(a) She has too many expectations, and doesn't understand him enough.
(b) She is overreacting to the situation.
(c) She misunderstood the nature of their relationship.
(d) She is insecure and wants his attentions all to herself.
2. What does Anna suddenly want to do with her letters from Robert Pidgeon?
(a) Burn them.
(b) Throw them away.
(c) Show them to Thomas.
(d) Throw them in Portia's face.
3. Why does Portia begin to gain respect for Daphne?
(a) She finds out that Daphne is a foster mother.
(b) She meets Daphne's boyfriend.
(c) She meets Daphne's friends.
(d) She goes to visit Daphne at work.
4. What makes Daphne's friends warm up to Portia?
(a) Her relationship with the Quaynes.
(b) Knowledge that she is an orphan.
(c) Her outgoing personality.
(d) The mention of a boyfriend.
5. Why does Eddie tell Portia to go away in chapter 7?
(a) He feels smothered, because he doesn't feel for her what she feels for him.
(b) His feelings for her are stronger than the ones she has for him.
(c) He wants to be alone for a while.
(d) He doesn't want to hurt her.
6. Whom does Portia run to see after her breakup with Eddie?
(a) Major Brutt.
7. What is Eddie's response when Portia confronts him about her diary?
(a) That Anna insisted on sharing it with him, against his will.
(b) That he let Anna read it during the time that he borrowed it.
(c) That Anna told Eddie of it first.
(d) That St. Quentin told Eddie, after Anna told St. Quentin.
8. How did St. Quentin's words about trust and honor make Portia feel?
9. What does Major Brutt tell Portia about getting her heart broken?
(a) That there is no need for her to cry, because it won't fix anything.
(b) That she should not be upset because Eddie was no good for her anyway.
(c) That it is simply part of growing up.
(d) That it's not really so bad once you get used to it.
10. What does Portia ask Daphne while they are walking in chapter 4?
(a) If Portia can come live with them permanently.
(b) If she might have a friend come and stay for the weekend.
(c) How many boyfriends she has had.
(d) Whether it is a good idea for her to date Eddie.
11. Where is Portia during Anna's lunch with Major Brutt and the Peppinghams?
(a) In the garden, writing in her diary.
(b) Walking with Eddie.
(c) Visiting Thomas at work.
(d) Having tea, with Lilian.
12. What color is the dress Portia wears to Daphne's dance party?
13. What does Mrs. Heccomb think of Eddie?
(a) She thinks that he is Portia's boyfriend.
(b) She thinks that he is just a friend of Portia's.
(c) She thinks that he is a friend of Matchett's, coming to check up on Portia.
(d) She thinks he is a friend of the Quaynes' who is just coming to check up on Portia.
14. What is Anna's rationale for why she dislikes Portia so much?
(a) Portia reminds her of herself at that age.
(b) She blames Portia for her recent poor relationship with Thomas.
(c) Portia's presence reminds Anna of the children she might have had.
(d) Anna does not dislike Portia.
15. What advice does Daphne give Portia regarding Eddie?
(a) To date him if she wants, but to date other men as well.
(b) To give him everything she has, and hope he doesn't break her heart.
(c) Not to trust him, because it is obvious that he is simply leading Portia on.
(d) To try to get him to stop drinking so much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Portia that they will be sorry to see her go?
2. What does Anna do as soon as she returns home from her trip abroad?
3. Whom is Portia daydreaming about in church at the beginning of chapter 4?
4. According to St. Quentin, what is friendship often about?
5. When Portia refuses to go home, what does Eddie do?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)