|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does the novel begin?
2. What is the name of Mrs. Heccomb's beach house?
(c) Mauna Loa.
3. Why is Portia nervous in chapter 8?
(a) She is insecure about her appearance.
(b) She has never been to tea before.
(c) She is worried that she and Eddie will be discovered together.
(d) Being around Eddie makes her nervous.
4. Who asks Major Brutt if he knows Robert Pidgeon?
(b) No one, Major Brutt brought it up.
5. Why is Lilian at Portia's school?
(a) She is gifted and needs an accelerated course schedule.
(b) She fell in love with a female teacher at her former school.
(c) Her parents moved from Spain and it is the only school in the area.
(d) She fell in love with a male teacher at her former school.
6. What was the excuse Eddie gave Anna for his behavior toward her?
(a) He did not bother to explain his actions to her.
(b) He had been drinking too much.
(c) He was still getting over his other love.
(d) He was worried about money.
7. What relation is Anna to Thomas?
8. What does Thomas think the visitor might want?
(a) To see Portia.
(b) To see Anna.
(d) A job.
9. What did Mrs. Quayne do when she received the news that Portia had been born?
(a) Shut herself in her room for the rest of the day.
(b) Played the piano until dinner.
(c) Went out to lunch and didn't come back until late.
(d) Mrs. Quayne never received the news of Portia's birth.
10. Where did Mr. Quayne meet Irene?
11. What does Major Brutt say about Portia?
(a) She seems like a sweet girl.
(b) He would like to bring her with him on his trip abroad.
(c) She should not be staying with Anna and Thomas.
(d) She seems socially awkward.
12. How does Thomas feel about having someone in his study at the end of a day?
(a) He feels somewhat unnerved and violated.
(b) He welcomes the company.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He doesn't mind either way.
13. How does Portia feel about traveling alone?
(a) She is excited to be on her own.
(b) She is confident but cautious.
(c) She is afraid that she will get lost.
(d) She is afraid that something will go wrong.
14. With whom were Thomas's previous relationships usually carried out?
(a) Thomas didn't have any relationships before Anna.
(b) Married women.
(c) Young girls.
(d) Older spinsters.
15. What type of attraction does Eddie deny exists between himself and Portia?
(a) An emotional one.
(b) An intellectual one.
(c) A spiritual one.
(d) A physical one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Portia respond to Matchett's concerns about Eddie?
2. With whom does Anna return home in part 1, chapter 2?
3. What does Anna suggest that she, Thomas, and Portia should do together?
4. How did Major Brutt get to know Robert Pidgeon?
5. What possession of Portia's does Anna find in chapter 1?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)