|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Portia feel about herself when the teacher reprimands her?
(a) She is somehow different, and less, than all the other girls are.
(b) She is somehow more mature than the rest of her class.
(c) She is just another teenage girl, no different from the rest of her class.
(d) She will never amount to anything, and should stop trying.
2. Why did Anna invite Major Brutt back to her home?
(a) Thomas has memories of Robert Pidgeon, associated with Major Brutt.
(b) Anna has memories of Robert Pidgeon, associated with Major Brutt.
(c) Thomas is friends with Major Brutt.
(d) Anna has unresolved feelings for Major Brutt.
3. What does Eddie say to Portia about Anna?
(a) She's selfish.
(b) She's a cynic.
(c) She's generous.
(d) She's a snob.
4. Who wrote the letter stipulating that Portia was to stay with Anna and Thomas?
(b) St. Quentin.
(c) Mr. Quayne.
(d) Mrs. Quayne.
5. Who told Matchett when Portia was born?
(a) Mr. Quayne.
(b) Mrs. Quayne.
6. What is Portia doing, instead of listening to her teacher?
(a) Passing notes with a friend.
(b) Reading a book.
(d) Reading a letter.
7. Why is Lilian at Portia's school?
(a) She is gifted and needs an accelerated course schedule.
(b) She fell in love with a female teacher at her former school.
(c) Her parents moved from Spain and it is the only school in the area.
(d) She fell in love with a male teacher at her former school.
8. What advice does Matchett give Portia about Eddie?
(a) She says that Portia should date Eddie if she wants, but that she should be careful.
(b) She says that as long as Portia is happy, that's what matters.
(c) Matchett doesn't know about Portia's relationship with Eddie.
(d) She tells Portia that Eddie is not good for her, and that she should stay away from him.
9. What are Eddie and Portia doing in the beginning of part 1, chapter 8?
(a) Walking in the park.
(b) Walking home from Portia's school.
(c) Going to the movie theater.
(d) Having tea.
10. Where will Portia be staying while Anna and Thomas are away?
(a) On the coast.
(b) In the countryside.
(c) In a big city.
(d) At home, with Matchett.
11. What was Eddie's reaction to the favor that Anna did for him?
(a) He thanked her, and apologized for his recent behavior.
(b) He was ungrateful and callous.
(c) He never knew that it was Anna's doing.
(d) He thanked her, but continued to act oafish around her.
12. What do Portia and her friend take a path through to get to school?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) The town centre.
(c) A park.
(d) A farm.
13. What is Portia's last memory of her mother?
(a) Driving her mother to the clinic.
(b) Portia doesn't remember her mother at all.
(c) Waving goodbye to her mother from the deck of a boat.
(d) Driving her mother to the train station.
14. What does Thomas think the visitor might want?
(a) To see Anna.
(b) To see Portia.
(d) A job.
15. What does Major Brutt send to Portia as a gift?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A puzzle.
(d) A necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Portia feel about traveling alone?
2. What is the first of Eddie's character flaws to be revealed?
3. What does Thomas wonder about Portia and Eddie?
4. What does Thomas notice about Portia and Eddie the first time he sees them together?
5. How does Daphne greet Portia?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)