|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is the novel set?
(c) New York.
2. What do Portia and her friend take a path through to get to school?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) The town centre.
(c) A park.
(d) A farm.
3. What is the problem with Anna, according to Eddie?
(a) She is nosy, and always trying to get involved in others' affairs.
(b) She likes nothing better than to make a joke of another person.
(c) She is not very intelligent, but she believes she is.
(d) She thinks she is better than everyone around her is.
4. What does Major Brutt send to Portia as a gift?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A puzzle.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A bottle of wine.
5. With whom were Thomas's previous relationships usually carried out?
(a) Young girls.
(b) Older spinsters.
(c) Married women.
(d) Thomas didn't have any relationships before Anna.
6. In what time does the novel begin?
7. When does Matchett come to wish Portia goodnight?
(a) Every night.
(b) When the Quaynes are out.
(c) When Matchett is working late.
(d) When Portia is not feeling well.
8. How does Mrs. Heccomb know Anna?
(a) She is a relative.
(b) She was Anna's governess.
(c) She is a friend of Thomas's family.
(d) She was a friend of Anna's mother.
9. What happened to Anna just before she met Thomas?
(a) She suffered a miscarriage.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) She came back from a trip abroad.
(d) She came out of a failed relationship.
10. Why is Anna upset about Portia's distress in part 1, chapter 2?
(a) Anna feels guilty for causing Portia to be upset.
(b) Anna is angry with Thomas for making Portia upset.
(c) Anna hates having someone in the house that she must pity, but can't even pretend to love.
(d) Anna loves Portia, and hates seeing her upset.
11. What does Matchett find when she tries to fluff Portia's pillow?
(a) Portia's letter to Major Brutt.
(b) Eddie's letter to Portia.
(c) Anna's necklace that Portia stole.
(d) Portia's diary.
12. What relationship exists between Mrs. Heccomb and Daphne?
(a) Aunt and niece.
(b) Mother and daughter.
(c) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
(d) Governess and charge.
13. What did Anna do for Eddie shortly after their first argument?
(a) She sent him a bouquet of flowers.
(b) She asked Thomas to get Eddie a job.
(c) She began cooking for him every night.
(d) She bought him a new suit.
14. Who is Portia?
(a) Thomas's sister.
(b) Thomas's cousin.
(c) Anna's daughter.
(d) Anna's sister.
15. How does Major Brutt feel about Anna's marriage to Thomas?
(a) He does not approve, because he dislikes Thomas.
(b) He is glad that Anna married Thomas, because she is financially secure with him.
(c) He is glad that Anna married Thomas, and got away from Robert.
(d) It is shocking to him because he can only remember her as a lover to Robert Pidgeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Quayne do when she received the news that Portia had been born?
2. How does Portia feel about herself when the teacher reprimands her?
3. What does Portia like about Eddie, according to what she tells Lilian?
4. Who stops by the Quaynes' home at the beginning of part 1, chapter 7?
5. What possession of Portia's does Anna find in chapter 1?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)