|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Anna and Thomas not want any children?
(a) Thomas doesn't like children.
(b) Anna doesn't like children.
(c) They don't have enough money to support a family.
(d) Anna has suffered two miscarriages.
2. Whom does Anna run into as she is hailing a taxi?
(a) Robert Pidgeon.
(c) Mrs. Heccomb.
(d) Major Brutt.
3. What type of attraction does Eddie deny exists between himself and Portia?
(a) An intellectual one.
(b) An emotional one.
(c) A spiritual one.
(d) A physical one.
4. Who comes in while Major Brutt and Thomas are talking?
(a) Portia and Eddie.
5. How does Mrs. Heccomb know Anna?
(a) She was a friend of Anna's mother.
(b) She is a relative.
(c) She is a friend of Thomas's family.
(d) She was Anna's governess.
6. What are Eddie and Portia doing in the beginning of part 1, chapter 8?
(a) Going to the movie theater.
(b) Walking in the park.
(c) Walking home from Portia's school.
(d) Having tea.
7. What is the name of Mrs. Heccomb's beach house?
(c) Mauna Loa.
8. How does Portia respond to Matchett's opinion about Mrs. Quayne sending Mr. Quayne away?
(a) She agrees that she and her mother would have been happier without Mr. Quayne.
(b) She tells Matchett that they were happy, and that Matchett should not be angry with Mrs. Quayne.
(c) She agrees with Matchett, that the moving around was what led to her father's death.
(d) She doesn't say anything.
9. Who stops by the Quaynes' home at the beginning of part 1, chapter 7?
(b) Major Brutt.
(c) Robert Pidgeon.
(d) Mrs. Quayne.
10. How does Thomas feel about Anna's idea for an activity?
(a) He wants to go with Anna, and not let Portia come.
(b) He just wants to stay at home.
(c) He wants to be able to choose the activity.
(d) He wants to do something else.
11. What relation is Anna to Thomas?
12. What is the problem with Anna, according to Eddie?
(a) She likes nothing better than to make a joke of another person.
(b) She is not very intelligent, but she believes she is.
(c) She is nosy, and always trying to get involved in others' affairs.
(d) She thinks she is better than everyone around her is.
13. In what time does the novel begin?
14. What film are Anna, Thomas, and Portia watching in part 1, chapter 3?
(a) A Three Stooges film.
(b) A Marx Brothers film.
(c) A silent movie.
(d) News reels.
15. How does Portia respond to Matchett's concerns about Eddie?
(a) She says that she will consider what Matchett has said.
(b) She doesn't respond to Matchett.
(c) She asks Matchett what she knows about Eddie.
(d) She says that she is happy, and that's all she cares about.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia like about Eddie, according to what she tells Lilian?
2. What does Thomas think the visitor might want?
3. How does Portia feel about herself when the teacher reprimands her?
4. How does Thomas feel about having someone in his study at the end of a day?
5. Where does Anna send Portia in part 1, chapter 2?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)