|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another contrast of values apparent in the chapter is:
2. Angela Vicario decides to write Bayardo San Roman after:
3. The narrator suspects that the San Roman family's excessive show of grief:
4. One of the stab wounds in Santiago's hands is described as resembling the stigmata of Christ, which suggests:
5. Ironically, the matriarch of the Arab community was responsible for:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the novel is often described merely as "Caribbean." What connotations or associations with the word "Caribbean" might readers have that affect their understanding of the novels events? How does the author use these connotations to explain, justify, or clarify the events and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the author's use of irony in the novel. In an essay, describe the author's intent in using irony to develop the events of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Water often represents new life or birth in literature. In what situations does water appear in the novel? Identify the author's message(s) suggested by water images in the novel, and use examples to support your theory.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)