|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The repeated foretelling of Santiago Nasar's death suggests:
2. Clothilde Armenta correctly assumes that:
3. The fact that the narrator does not remember rain on the day of the murder suggests:
4. Santiago's autopsy has to be performed in a hurry because:
5. Though the Vicario brothers defend their actions, they can not seem to get rid of:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the novel is often described merely as "Caribbean." What connotations or associations with the word "Caribbean" might readers have that affect their understanding of the novels events? How does the author use these connotations to explain, justify, or clarify the events and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Garcia Marquez' use of names in the text. What does the author communicate through the name of any character or characters? Create an essay in which you explore Garcia' Marquez' symbolic use of names in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The women of Santiago Nasar's town are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, shopkeepers, nuns, whores, and spinsters. Write an essay examining any characteristics female characters share in the novel, and identify the author's message about women developed through these characteristics.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)