|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author differentiates between his sisters by calling them:
2. The fact that the bishop overlooks the town, the narrator's nun sister is too hung over to greet the boat, and Father Amador neglects to warn Santiago about the murder suggests:
3. The repeated mention of Victoria Guzman watching over the coffee pot and gutting animals connotes which popular image?
4. A word that might describe how the twins feel in this situation is:
5. Another contrast of values apparent in the chapter is:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leonard F. Peltier said, "Innocence is the weakest defense. Innocence has a single voice that can only say over and over again, "I didn't do it." Guilt has a thousand voices, all of them lies." Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Peltier's statement in relation to Garcia Marquez' novel.
Essay Topic 2
The women of Santiago Nasar's town are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, shopkeepers, nuns, whores, and spinsters. Write an essay examining any characteristics female characters share in the novel, and identify the author's message about women developed through these characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the author's treatment of religious figures and symbols in the text. What is revealed about the author's attitude toward religion or religious belief through the actions and situations evident in the novel?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)