|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator learns that the Vicario twins:
2. The fact that the bishop overlooks the town, the narrator's nun sister is too hung over to greet the boat, and Father Amador neglects to warn Santiago about the murder suggests:
3. Because Angela's unanswered letters make her feel like she is writing to no one:
4. Prudencia Cotes, Pablo Vicario's fiancee, makes it clear that she:
5. Another contrast of values apparent in the chapter is:
Essay Topic 1
Women in "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" seem to have limited power. Consider the situations in which women exercise power in the novel, and write an essay in which you identify a possible theme the author communicates through women in positions of power.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the magistrate's note, "Give me a prejudice and I will move the world." Write an essay in which you connect the statement to the events of the novel, identifying the prejudices that motivate the characters and contribute to the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the statement that "Honor is love," as the narrator's mother would have us believe. Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify this statement.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)