|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Divina Flor's weeping as she fends off the dogs suggests:
2. The priest laments that a brilliant future was cut short for Santiago because:
3. Pedro Vicario's guilt manifests itself in what way?
4. The purple blotch that appears on Santiago's face is described as:
5. The dogs panting after Santiago's innards as his body lay in his mother's house might represent:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women of Santiago Nasar's town are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, shopkeepers, nuns, whores, and spinsters. Write an essay examining any characteristics female characters share in the novel, and identify the author's message about women developed through these characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the contrasting ideas of youth and old age developed in the novel. How do these two ideas contribute to an understanding of character, events, and setting?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title of the novel. What is important about the foretelling of Santiago Nasar's death? What is the theme of Garcia Marquez' novel, and how do the many acts of foretelling contribute to this theme?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)