|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prudencia Cotes, Pablo Vicario's fiancee, makes it clear that she:
2. One of the stab wounds in Santiago's hands is described as resembling the stigmata of Christ, which suggests:
3. The brothers' plan to murder Santiago is strangely contradicted at Clothilde Armenta's house by:
4. Divina Flor's weeping as she fends off the dogs suggests:
5. The narrator does not believe Santiago had a guilty conscience that night because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women in "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" seem to have limited power. Consider the situations in which women exercise power in the novel, and write an essay in which you identify a possible theme the author communicates through women in positions of power.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the contrasting ideas of religion and superstition in the novel. What themes are suggested by these two contrasting ideas? How do both ideas contribute to a larger message?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator uses both showing and telling to reveal the details of the story. Write an essay in which evaluate the use of showing and telling in the novel, determining which of the two is most influential in communicating Garcia Marquez' ideas.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)