|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clothilde Armenta says "That day I realized just how alone we women are in the world," she implies:
2. Father Amador fails to warn Santiago or his mother of the murder plot because:
3. The author differentiates between his sisters by calling them:
4. The fact that the bishop overlooks the town, the narrator's nun sister is too hung over to greet the boat, and Father Amador neglects to warn Santiago about the murder suggests:
5. Maria Alejandrina Cervantes handles her grief by:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women of Santiago Nasar's town are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, shopkeepers, nuns, whores, and spinsters. Write an essay examining any characteristics female characters share in the novel, and identify the author's message about women developed through these characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator states that literature is not allowed the convenient, sometimes unbelievable coincidences of life. In an essay, defend, refute, or qualify this idea.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the contrasting ideas of religion and superstition in the novel. What themes are suggested by these two contrasting ideas? How do both ideas contribute to a larger message?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)