|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The repeated mention of Victoria Guzman watching over the coffee pot and gutting animals connotes which popular image?
2. Bayardo's statement, "Well, here I am," suggests:
3. Why does Father Carmen Amador perform Santiago's autopsy?
4. Santiago Nasar's pure white linen suit suggests:
5. Pablo, the younger twin, finally has to convince his brother to kill Santiago, perhaps because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the magistrate's note, "Give me a prejudice and I will move the world." Write an essay in which you connect the statement to the events of the novel, identifying the prejudices that motivate the characters and contribute to the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the contrasting ideas of religion and superstition in the novel. What themes are suggested by these two contrasting ideas? How do both ideas contribute to a larger message?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the statement that "Honor is love," as the narrator's mother would have us believe. Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify this statement.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)