|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator's sister Margot describes Santiago as:
2. Maria Alejandrina Cervantes' house appears to be:
3. After Santiago's death, Placida Linero consoles herself by looking over the balcony at what?
4. The story begins as Santiago Nasar:
5. Bayardo San Roman has "a way of speaking that...":
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the town's concern about "its mission assigned by fate" show?
2. What do Bayardo's attitudes toward money reveal about his values?
3. The narrator's brother seems to foretell Santiago's death as well. Why is this significant?
4. The stray bullet that causes so much destruction in the neighbors' houses in Santiago's youth teaches him to be careful with a gun. What irony might this symbolize?
5. How does the author create a sense of inevitability for Santiago's death?
6. Why do we learn about Bayardo San Roman from the narrator's mother?
7. Why does Christo Bedoya fail to warn Santiago about the murder?
8. Most of the characters affected negatively by Santiago Nasar's death were whom?
9. Describe the reunion between Bayardo San Roman and Angela Vicario.
10. How do the motifs of selfishness and self-interest affect the events of the chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the magistrate's note, "Give me a prejudice and I will move the world." Write an essay in which you connect the statement to the events of the novel, identifying the prejudices that motivate the characters and contribute to the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator uses both showing and telling to reveal the details of the story. Write an essay in which evaluate the use of showing and telling in the novel, determining which of the two is most influential in communicating Garcia Marquez' ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Garcia Marquez' use of names in the text. What does the author communicate through the name of any character or characters? Create an essay in which you explore Garcia' Marquez' symbolic use of names in the novel.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)