|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luisa Santiaga learn on her way to warn Placida Linero about the murder plot?
2. Santiago felt completely covered in bird droppings when he woke. What might that suggest?
3. What significant event happens for the narrator at the wedding?
4. Ironically, the Vicario brothers were engaged in what activity when they were called home?
5. The story begins as Santiago Nasar:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suggested by the mention of starch in relation to Santiago and Poncio Vicario? Santiago cannot stand starch in his clothes, while Poncio Vicario's shirt is so heavily starched it stands up by itself.
2. Both the twins and the magistrate's report are described as floating in water. What is suggested by this idea?
3. Describe the difference between the opinions of Santiago Nasar's equals and those of the class below him.
4. Describe Angela's relationship with her mother.
5. What is significant about the fact that the bishop is visiting to bless the town on the day Santiago Nasar is to be murdered?
6. What is suggested by the phrase, "My sister felt the angel pass by?"
7. What does the magistrate's note, "fatality makes us invisible," imply?
8. The author uses the words "tortured" and "terrified" to describe the bride, and the word "devastation" to describe the aftermath of the wedding. How are these words appropriate?
9. What are some of the images that contribute to the motif of water in the chapter?
10. The magistrate, an objective party, serves what role for the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water often represents new life or birth in literature. In what situations does water appear in the novel? Identify the author's message(s) suggested by water images in the novel, and use examples to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Garcia Marquez' use of names in the text. What does the author communicate through the name of any character or characters? Create an essay in which you explore Garcia' Marquez' symbolic use of names in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the author's treatment of religious figures and symbols in the text. What is revealed about the author's attitude toward religion or religious belief through the actions and situations evident in the novel?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)