|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might Santiago's dreams of trees symbolize?
2. What is ironic about Placida Linero's comment that all dreams about birds mean good health?
3. The narrator describes San Roman as:
4. On the day of his death, why was Santiago was unarmed?
5. The engagement of Angela Vicario and Bayardo San Roman was shorter than the norm because:
Short Essay Questions
1. The stab in Santiago's right hand suggests the stigmata of Christ to the priest. In what ways does Santiago serve as a Christ figure?
2. Describe Santiago Nasar.
3. What does the town's concern about "its mission assigned by fate" show?
4. What elements of his character lend to the mystery of Bayardo San Roman?
5. After the murder, how do people feel about the twins' actions?
6. The fact that Santiago Nasar never turns on the light in his bedroom, but instead stays in the dark, might symbolize what idea?
7. Why does Christo Bedoya fail to warn Santiago about the murder?
8. The fact that people are simultaneously celebrating the bishop's visit and condemning Santiago Nasar to death suggests what about the town and its beliefs?
9. Aside from the code of honor exhibited by the Vicario twins, what other family values are exhibited in the book?
10. What does Bayardo San Roman's treatment of Pura Vicario suggest about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the magistrate's note, "Give me a prejudice and I will move the world." Write an essay in which you connect the statement to the events of the novel, identifying the prejudices that motivate the characters and contribute to the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the author's use of irony in the novel. In an essay, describe the author's intent in using irony to develop the events of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Garcia Marquez' use of names in the text. What does the author communicate through the name of any character or characters? Create an essay in which you explore Garcia' Marquez' symbolic use of names in the novel.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)