|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angela Vicario decides to write Bayardo San Roman after:
(a) She finds out he still loves her.
(b) He writes her first.
(c) He refuses to speak to her in public.
(d) She sees him pass by many years later.
2. The narrator's recounting of Colonel Lazaro Aponte's mundane morning details reveals:
(a) The Colonel has not been warned about the murder plot either.
(b) The Colonel is more interested in his own concerns than in warning Santiago Nasar.
(c) The Colonel believes Santiago Nasar should die.
(d) The Colonel is far too distracted by the bishop's visit to warn Santiago Nasar.
3. The Colonel treats the twins like:
(a) Worthless drunks.
(b) Naughty children.
(c) Hostile enemies.
(d) Worthy adversaries.
4. Colonel Lazaro Aponte:
(a) Talks to the twins and decides they are bluffing.
(b) Is tired of breaking up fights, and lets the matter go.
(c) Forgets all about the murder plot.
(d) Takes the twins' knives away.
5. Santiago Nasar insists on returning home for an hour so that:
(a) He can reassure his mother of his safety.
(b) He can have coffee with Victoria Guzman.
(c) He can avoid the Vicario twins.
(d) He can sleep for an hour before the bishop arrived.
6. The Arab community in the novel is described as:
(a) Lazy, stubborn, and combustive.
(b) Hard-working, vengeful, and divisive.
(c) Hard-working, clannish, and peaceful.
(d) Lazy, clannish, and peaceful.
7. Officer Leandro Pornoy, who visited with the twins at Clothilde Armenta's:
(a) Gets drunk with the twins because he does not believe they are serious.
(b) Goes to Colonel Aponte to reveal the murder plot.
(c) Takes away the twins knives and goes home.
(d) Gets gored by a bull before he can warn Santiago Nasar.
8. A word that might describe how the twins feel in this situation is:
9. When Clothilde Armenta says "That day I realized just how alone we women are in the world," she implies:
(a) That women are always being deserted by men in pursuit of honor.
(b) That men can never be found at home when they are needed.
(c) That women are ruled by reason while men are ruled by passions.
(d) That women are often responsible for restoring order by calming the passions of men.
10. The twins' actions seem to result from:
(a) A sense of duty, but not a sense of pride.
(b) A sense of honor, but not bloodthirstiness.
(c) A sense of compassion, but not a sense of duty.
(d) A senes of bloodthirstiness, but not a sense of pride.
11. The dogs panting after Santiago's innards as his body lay in his mother's house might represent:
(a) The spilling of Santiago and Angela's secret.
(b) The savage attitudes of the townspeople toward honor and revenge.
(c) The fate that Santiago deserves.
(d) Santiago's consumption of women.
12. Christo Bedoya declines to conduct the autopsy because:
(a) He is still angry at Santiago's behavior.
(b) He hasn't taken the medical exam yet.
(c) He was such close friends with Santiago.
(d) He feels guilty for murdering Santiago.
13. The Vicario twins' behavior suggests:
(a) They are both extremely ill.
(b) They feel an innate sense of guilt.
(c) They are completely without regret.
(d) They need psychiatric treatment.
14. The Vicario family:
(a) Leaves the town, never to return.
(b) Guards the prisoners in prison with shotguns.
(c) Leaves the town, plotting to return and help the brothers escape.
(d) Gives the mayor a bribe to help them escape the town.
15. Bayardo's suitcase full of unopened letters suggests:
(a) That he wants to pretend nothing has happened since the day they were married.
(b) That he is returning the letters because he does not want them.
(c) That he is unwilling to forgive Angela no matter what she says.
(d) That he does not need to hear Angela's excuses; he has made mistakes as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faustino Santos, the twins' friend, reports their claim to:
2. The priest describes the autopsy as:
3. Why does Father Carmen Amador perform Santiago's autopsy?
4. Father Amador fails to warn Santiago or his mother of the murder plot because:
5. Most of the concerns that keep people from acting on Santiago Nasar's behalf could be described as:
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)