|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Bayardo has aged in many ways, Angela says she sees him:
(a) Just the same as he was on their wedding day.
(b) As she saw him the first time.
(c) With a greater love than ever before.
(d) As a happier man than she remembered.
2. Pura Vicario dresses her daughter in red and wraps her face in a cloth, which suggests:
(a) Pura Vicario is in mourning.
(b) Mourning has no place in the Vicario family.
(c) Pura Vicario has plans to abandon her daughter in the streets.
(d) Appearances are important in the Vicario family.
3. The twins had to carry out the murder plot because they felt:
(a) Ashamed of their family.
(b) It was their duty.
(c) It was the only way to show their manliness.
(d) Outraged at Santiago's behavior.
4. The narrator's dream about the voracious child, on the heels of his thought on Santiago's horrific death, might suggest:
(a) The narrator feels Santiago deserved his death.
(b) The appetites of the town's women led to disaster.
(c) The demands of the community were extreme and had consequences.
(d) Maria Alejandrina's eating had awoken him.
5. Pablo, the younger twin, finally has to convince his brother to kill Santiago, perhaps because:
(a) Pedro is resistant to any kind of authority.
(b) Pedro has lost his sense of duty since returning from the military.
(c) Pedro is cowardly since his return from the military.
(d) Pedro has been to war and knows what it is to kill a man.
6. Pablo Vicario goes on to:
(a) Become a metalsmith and marries his fiance.
(b) Marry his fiance and dies shortly thereafter.
(c) Become a metalsmith and dies in his fathers shop.
(d) Enlist in the army and disappears in the jungle.
7. The serenade that took place at the widower Xius's house was intended to:
(a) Wake the newlyweds on their wedding night.
(b) Show Bayardo San Roman who wronged his wife.
(c) Rouse the newlyweds so the party could continue at their house.
(d) Make sure Bayardo had not drunk himself to death.
8. Prudencia Cotes, Pablo Vicario's fiancee, makes it clear that she:
(a) Expects Pablo Vicario to wait for her.
(b) Believes Angela Vicario is completely innocent.
(c) Believes the men acted necessarily in defense of honor.
(d) Will not wait for Pablo Vicario if he commits this crime.
9. The purple blotch that appears on Santiago's face is described as:
(a) A mark of sin.
(b) A birthmark.
(c) The shadow of a guilty conscience.
(d) The shadow of a cloud on water.
10. Most of the concerns that keep people from acting on Santiago Nasar's behalf could be described as:
11. A word that might describe how the twins feel in this situation is:
12. Because Angela's unanswered letters make her feel like she is writing to no one:
(a) She stops writing them.
(b) She risks her reputation in sending them anyway.
(c) She writes down all her secrets, including her love for Santiago.
(d) She is able to be honest and discovers all her feelings.
13. Father Amador fails to warn Santiago or his mother of the murder plot because:
(a) He does not really believe any harm will come to Santiago.
(b) He is distracted by the bishop's visit and forgets.
(c) He is late for the bishop's visit and decides against visiting Santiago's house.
(d) He is afraid of the Vicario twins' revenge if he should warn Santiago.
14. The priest describes the autopsy as:
(a) Having killed Santiago all over again.
(b) Having scarred him for life.
(c) Being the work of savage dogs.
(d) Being the work of that barbarian the mayor.
15. Pedro Vicario's guilt manifests itself in what way?
(a) He refuses to eat for eleven months after the murder.
(b) He was awake for eleven months after the murder.
(c) He refuses to marry his fiance.
(d) He cannot control his bladder.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is lured away from his friends by Maria Alejandrina Cervantes, who is described as:
2. Bayardo's suitcase full of unopened letters suggests:
3. The priest laments that a brilliant future was cut short for Santiago because:
4. Colonel Lazaro Aponte:
5. Maria Alejandrina Cervantes handles her grief by:
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)