|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator warns Santiago that "A falcon who chases a warlike crane can only hope for a life of pain," he suggests:
(a) That women scorned will seek revenge.
(b) That a woman who profits from his love will only hurt him.
(c) That a man who pursues a woman whose business is love, he is destined to be hurt.
(d) That women will only lead to tragedy in the end.
2. The brothers' plan to murder Santiago is strangely contradicted at Clothilde Armenta's house by:
(a) Their proclamations that they don't want to kill Santiago.
(b) Their disbelief in their sister's guilt.
(c) Their inability to eat or drink anything.
(d) Their desire to shave and clean up.
3. The narrator suspects that the San Roman family's excessive show of grief:
(a) Is meant to show the townspeople how humble they are.
(b) Is meant to make the Vicario family feel guilty.
(c) Is covering up their secret satisfaction over the failure of the marriage.
(d) Is concealing another, greater shame.
4. The serenade that took place at the widower Xius's house was intended to:
(a) Make sure Bayardo had not drunk himself to death.
(b) Wake the newlyweds on their wedding night.
(c) Show Bayardo San Roman who wronged his wife.
(d) Rouse the newlyweds so the party could continue at their house.
5. The twins' actions seem to result from:
(a) A sense of duty, but not a sense of pride.
(b) A senes of bloodthirstiness, but not a sense of pride.
(c) A sense of compassion, but not a sense of duty.
(d) A sense of honor, but not bloodthirstiness.
6. Santiago Nasar's pure white linen suit suggests:
(d) Burial wrappings.
7. The repeated mention of Victoria Guzman watching over the coffee pot and gutting animals connotes which popular image?
(a) A fortune teller.
(b) A veterinarian.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A witch.
8. A word that might describe how the twins feel in this situation is:
9. Pedro Vicario's guilt manifests itself in what way?
(a) He was awake for eleven months after the murder.
(b) He cannot control his bladder.
(c) He refuses to marry his fiance.
(d) He refuses to eat for eleven months after the murder.
10. Father Amador fails to warn Santiago or his mother of the murder plot because:
(a) He is afraid of the Vicario twins' revenge if he should warn Santiago.
(b) He does not really believe any harm will come to Santiago.
(c) He is late for the bishop's visit and decides against visiting Santiago's house.
(d) He is distracted by the bishop's visit and forgets.
11. Ironically, the priest had to use what implements to perform the autopsy?
(a) Kitchen utensils.
(c) Craftsmen's tools.
(d) Garden tools.
12. Santiago Nasar insists on returning home for an hour so that:
(a) He can sleep for an hour before the bishop arrived.
(b) He can reassure his mother of his safety.
(c) He can avoid the Vicario twins.
(d) He can have coffee with Victoria Guzman.
13. When Clothilde Armenta says "That day I realized just how alone we women are in the world," she implies:
(a) That women are always being deserted by men in pursuit of honor.
(b) That women are often responsible for restoring order by calming the passions of men.
(c) That men can never be found at home when they are needed.
(d) That women are ruled by reason while men are ruled by passions.
14. The fact that the narrator does not remember rain on the day of the murder suggests:
(a) That he was hiding out at the whorehouse.
(b) That he is too traumatized to remember.
(c) That he himself understands the matter on some level.
(d) That he wanted Santiago Nasar to die.
15. Pablo Vicario goes on to:
(a) Enlist in the army and disappears in the jungle.
(b) Become a metalsmith and dies in his fathers shop.
(c) Marry his fiance and dies shortly thereafter.
(d) Become a metalsmith and marries his fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Nasar's house was crowded because:
2. The twins were transferred to:
3. In the midst of all of Santiago's innards the priest found:
4. Clearly the Vicario brothers:
5. Bayardo's suitcase full of unopened letters suggests:
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)