|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clothilde Armenta says "That day I realized just how alone we women are in the world," she implies:
(a) That women are often responsible for restoring order by calming the passions of men.
(b) That women are always being deserted by men in pursuit of honor.
(c) That women are ruled by reason while men are ruled by passions.
(d) That men can never be found at home when they are needed.
2. The Arab community in the novel is described as:
(a) Hard-working, clannish, and peaceful.
(b) Lazy, stubborn, and combustive.
(c) Lazy, clannish, and peaceful.
(d) Hard-working, vengeful, and divisive.
3. Officer Leandro Pornoy, who visited with the twins at Clothilde Armenta's:
(a) Gets drunk with the twins because he does not believe they are serious.
(b) Goes to Colonel Aponte to reveal the murder plot.
(c) Takes away the twins knives and goes home.
(d) Gets gored by a bull before he can warn Santiago Nasar.
4. The narrator suspects that the San Roman family's excessive show of grief:
(a) Is covering up their secret satisfaction over the failure of the marriage.
(b) Is meant to show the townspeople how humble they are.
(c) Is concealing another, greater shame.
(d) Is meant to make the Vicario family feel guilty.
5. When the others in the meat market complain of hangovers or of missing the cake at the wedding, how do the twins reply?
(a) We're going to kill Santiago Nasar.
(b) Everybody knows that, you dope.
(c) When you sacrifice a steer, you don't look into its eyes.
(d) We just came to sharpen our knives.
6. Santiago's autopsy has to be performed in a hurry because:
(a) Santiago's coffin is prepared and waiting for him.
(b) The Nasars' dogs have begun to eat the body.
(c) The townspeople want to desecrate the remains.
(d) The heat is extreme and the body is decomposing.
7. Victoria Guzman calls Santiago Nasar "white man," because he is partly white, but this also might suggest:
(a) His prejudice against the townspeople.
(b) Her hatred of his wealth and priveledge.
(c) His innocence.
(d) Her fear of him as different than herself.
8. Colonel Lazaro Aponte:
(a) Takes the twins' knives away.
(b) Forgets all about the murder plot.
(c) Is tired of breaking up fights, and lets the matter go.
(d) Talks to the twins and decides they are bluffing.
9. The fact that the bishop overlooks the town, the narrator's nun sister is too hung over to greet the boat, and Father Amador neglects to warn Santiago about the murder suggests:
(a) The church is a fun organization.
(b) The church is not influential over the people.
(c) The church does not always support the people as it should.
(d) The church does not care about its followers.
10. Pura Vicario dresses her daughter in red and wraps her face in a cloth, which suggests:
(a) Appearances are important in the Vicario family.
(b) Pura Vicario has plans to abandon her daughter in the streets.
(c) Pura Vicario is in mourning.
(d) Mourning has no place in the Vicario family.
11. The townspeople refer to Bayardo San Roman as "poor Bayardo" because:
(a) He remains in the widower Xius house, never to be seen again.
(b) He never marries again.
(c) They believe he is the only true victim.
(d) He was not really wealthy after all.
12. Santiago Nasar's pure white linen suit suggests:
(c) Burial wrappings.
13. Maria Alejandrina Cervantes handles her grief by:
(a) Having all-night parties.
(b) Excessive drinking.
(c) Barring her doors from the public.
(d) Excessive eating.
14. Santiago Nasar insists on returning home for an hour so that:
(a) He can sleep for an hour before the bishop arrived.
(b) He can reassure his mother of his safety.
(c) He can avoid the Vicario twins.
(d) He can have coffee with Victoria Guzman.
15. Maria Alejandrina Cervantes never goes to bed with anyone else in Santiago's presence because:
(a) She wants to show her respect for him.
(b) She has never gotten over her love for him.
(c) She believes he will seek revenge if she does.
(d) She retired after their affair ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago Nasar's tendency to disguise the girls' identities might suggest that:
2. Pedro Vicario's guilt manifests itself in what way?
3. Bayardo's statement, "Well, here I am," suggests:
4. The Vicario twins' behavior suggests:
5. Christo Bedoya declines to conduct the autopsy because:
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)