|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The white linen clothes Santiago wears on the day of his death make him look:
(a) Like he never went to bed.
(b) Like a ghost.
(c) Like he is wearing pajamas.
(d) Like a bride.
2. The twins who planned to murder Santiago were named:
(a) Santiaga and Clotilde Armenta.
(b) Juan and Poncio Vicario.
(c) Victoria and Divina Guzman.
(d) Pedro and Pablo Vicario.
3. What does Luisa Santiaga learn on her way to warn Placida Linero about the murder plot?
(a) She learns that Placida Linero has been dishonored.
(b) She learns that Placida Linero is already dead.
(c) She learns that Santiago is guilty of seducing Angela Vicario.
(d) She learns that Santiago Nasar is already dead.
4. The narrator describes San Roman as:
(a) Confident and enthusiastic.
(b) Mysterious and evil.
(c) Jubilant and handsome.
(d) Tense and sad.
5. Despite her fear of Santiago, what does Divina Flor do that might help him the morning of his death?
(a) She gives him the warning someone slipped beneath the door.
(b) She asks her mother to help him.
(c) She warns Placida Linero of the murder plot.
(d) She leaves the front door unlocked.
6. Santiago has learned to be careful with a gun because:
(a) A servant accidentally fired a gun in his childhood, causing great destruction.
(b) He shot a gun as a child and caused great destruction.
(c) He sleeps with a gun beneath his pillow and does not want it to go off accidentally.
(d) His mother always forced him to keep the bullets separate.
7. What might Santiago's dreams of trees symbolize?
(a) The dreams seem to indicate a new love for Santiago.
(b) The dreams seem to indicate feelings of guilt and inadequacy.
(c) The dreams seem to indicate a fear of heights.
(d) The dreams seem to indicate delight over a secret.
8. The engagement of Angela Vicario and Bayardo San Roman was shorter than the norm because:
(a) The bride's family was afraid the groom would learn the truth.
(b) The town wanted a big wedding.
(c) The groom was afraid the bride would change her mind.
(d) The groom was extremely urgent about the wedding.
9. After Santiago's death, Placida Linero consoles herself by looking over the balcony at what?
(a) Santiago's grave.
(b) The town and the river.
(c) The almond trees.
(d) The jailhouse.
10. What is ironic about Placida Linero's comment that all dreams about birds mean good health?
(a) This morning's dream foretold an illness for Santiago.
(b) Santiago has a headache on this particular morning.
(c) Santiago is allergic to birds.
(d) This morning's dream foretells Santiago's death.
11. Luisa Santiaga is torn in her loyalties because:
(a) She is related to the Vicarios, but godmother to Santiago.
(b) She is godmother to both Santiago and Angela.
(c) She wants to stay at home with her family, but feels a duty to leave.
(d) She is no longer friends with either the Vicarios or Placida Linero.
12. The widower Xius' house and his possessions are symbolic of what?
(a) His values and his memories.
(b) His refusal to deal with aging.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His inability to move on in his life.
13. People like San Roman because:
(a) He is honest and has a good heart.
(b) He is capable and religious.
(c) Has access to endless resources.
(d) He is swimming in gold.
14. Santiago felt completely covered in bird droppings when he woke. What might that suggest?
(a) A negative outcome for his day.
(b) A fear of birds.
(c) Good luck.
(d) A need to move to another town.
15. Santiago objects to Victoria's actions toward the rabbits because:
(a) He believes they are as precious as human beings.
(b) She guts them savagely and feeds the guts to the dogs.
(c) He does not believe in killing defenseless animals.
(d) She wastes the meat instead of cooking it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bayardo San Roman has "a way of speaking that...":
2. Santiago is joined at the pier by the narrator and which two others?
3. The twins did not try to convince Angela to marry Bayardo San Roman because:
4. Clotilde Armenta allowed the twins to wait for Santiago in:
5. The emotion Angela Vicario most clearly expresses when all is revealed is:
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)