|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The bishop's refusal to stop in the village suggests what?
(a) The bishop knows of the murder plot.
(b) The town was not in need of help.
(c) The bishop, and therefore God, has neglected the town.
(d) No one in authority cared about the town or its inhabitants.
2. On the day of his death, why was Santiago was unarmed?
(a) He had accidentally left his gun under his pillow.
(b) He promised his mother he would not carry a gun.
(c) He was superstitious about carrying a gun in front of the bishop.
(d) He was not wearing his ususal clothes with the gun on his belt.
3. Bayardo's gift of the music box causes her parents concern about the nature of their daughter's relationship, which is an example of:
(c) Character foil.
4. The Poncio twins lifting their sister by the waist and demanding an answer from her suggests what about her character?
(a) She is defiant and childlike.
(b) She is likely to escape if not guarded.
(c) She is powerful, and they must subdue her.
(d) She is helpless and has no will of her own.
5. Angela's appearance when she arrives at home suggests:
(a) She behaved badly and was punished.
(b) She refused to leave the wedding party.
(c) She tried to escape him and he caught her.
(d) She physically fought with Bayardo San Roman, or he beat her.
6. Pura Vicario believes her daughters will make excellent wives because:
(a) They are not interested in their individuality.
(b) They have been raised to serve men.
(c) They have been raised to suffer.
(d) They are not confident enough to pursue their own goals.
7. The white linen clothes Santiago wears on the day of his death make him look:
(a) Like he is wearing pajamas.
(b) Like a bride.
(c) Like he never went to bed.
(d) Like a ghost.
8. All of the Vicario children had been raised to:
(a) Fill the traditional roles of men and women.
(b) Enter arranged marriages.
(c) Ignore earthly pleasures.
(d) Pursue the church above all else.
9. Poncio and Pedro Vicario are:
10. What does Luisa Santiaga learn on her way to warn Placida Linero about the murder plot?
(a) She learns that Santiago Nasar is already dead.
(b) She learns that Placida Linero is already dead.
(c) She learns that Santiago is guilty of seducing Angela Vicario.
(d) She learns that Placida Linero has been dishonored.
11. The motif of blindness in the chapter suggests:
(a) A desire to hide in the dark.
(b) A desire to deceive others.
(c) An unwillingness to see or acknowledge the truth.
(d) A refusal to face situations without help.
12. Santiago's house is made out of a former:
(d) Import store.
13. What significant event happens for the narrator at the wedding?
(a) He overhears the brothers' plot to kill Santiago.
(b) He proposes to Mercedes Barcha.
(c) He proposes to Bayardo's sister.
(d) He reveals Angela and Santiago's affair.
14. Angela's feelings toward Bayardo San Roman might be described as:
(a) Curious and excited.
(b) Bashful and withdrawn.
(c) Contemptuous and resentful.
(d) Fearful and concerned.
15. Who persuades the twins to wait until after the bishop's visit to kill Santiago?
(a) Victoria Guzman.
(b) Clotilde Armenta.
(c) Divina Flor.
(d) Placida Linero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago has learned to be careful with a gun because:
2. The narrator describes Angela Vicario as "the creature of [Bayardo's] torment," which suggests:
3. The widower Xius does not want to sell his house or the belongings inside of it because:
4. What noise does Divina Flor hear when Santiago leaves the house?
5. How does the narrator describe Angela's face during the wedding party?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)