|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hettie?
2. How does Sexton feel when he first meets Didi?
3. What is wrong with Billy?
4. What color is the bird delivered to Hettie?
5. What is Mrs. Robbins first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
2. What does Sexton think is happening to Didi when she tells him who she is?
3. What does Mrs. Robbins say happened to Didi's family?
4. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
5. Why does Sexton want to kill himself?
6. What does Didi tell Sexton she is?
7. How does Sexton show his compassion when he sees Billy?
8. Why does Hettie think Sexton can show her where Didi is?
9. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
10. What does Hettie use the bird for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Billy different from the other characters in the book, and what message was sent through his inclusion in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Generosity was a key theme in this book. Where did this theme appear and which characters were the most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)