|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hettie break the leg of one of the girls?
2. What does Sexton's mother feel like doing at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Did offer to do for Sexton when they first meet?
4. What does the person threatening Sexton tell Didi Sexton will be used as?
5. Who tells Sexton about why Didi lives alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
2. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
3. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
4. What happens when Sexton leaves Didi's apartment?
5. What does Mrs. Robbins say happened to Didi's family?
6. How does Sexton meet Didi?
7. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
8. What does Sexton say his mother is clueless about?
9. Why does Hettie think Sexton can show her where Didi is?
10. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Theo was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)