|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sexton describe his life at the beginning of the book?
2. Where does Sexton go when his mother sends him out?
3. What is Mrs. Robbins first name?
4. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
5. What does Sexton suggest Didi do when she tells him how old she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
2. What does Hettie do when the girls get angry with her?
3. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
4. How does Sexton meet Didi?
5. What does Hettie want from Didi, and what is Didi's response to this?
6. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
7. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
8. Why does Sexton's mother send him out of the house?
9. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
10. What does Hettie use the bird for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexton endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hettie searching for in this book, how did she find it, and why was this so important to her and Didi?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)