|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sexton feel when he is threatened?
2. What do people call Hettie?
3. How many girls is Hettie waiting for at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Sexton's last name?
5. What is Sexton writing at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hettie use the bird for?
2. What does Hettie look for in Didi's apartment, and where does she go when she can't find it?
3. What does Sexton say made him first want to commit suicide?
4. What does the girl with the gloves say to Sexton in the club about her 'friend'?
5. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
6. What strange thing happens when Didi takes a cab to the club?
7. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
8. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
9. Why does Sexton tell Didi he agrees to stay with her?
10. Why does Didi say Death becomes mortal at times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Didi say was the purpose of her day as a mortal, and how did the other main characters respond to this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Theo was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Sexton endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)