|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Sexton about why Didi lives alone?
2. How does Sexton feel when he is threatened?
3. Where does Hettie live?
4. What does Didi tell the person threatening Sexton to do?
5. What is wrong with Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
2. What does Mrs. Robbins say happened to Didi's family?
3. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
4. What does Sexton think is happening to Didi when she tells him who she is?
5. What does Hettie want from Didi, and what is Didi's response to this?
6. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
7. Why does Sexton want to kill himself?
8. What does Didi tell Sexton she is?
9. What does Hettie use the bird for?
10. How does Sexton show his compassion when he sees Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance and meaning of the title of this book, and how was it weaved into the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book, presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Sexton continue to follow Didi throughout the day, and what does this indicate about his personality?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)