|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does Didi say her family served for her?
2. What does Sexton get trapped under after he slips?
3. Why does Sexton's mother send him out?
4. What is wrong with Billy?
5. What does Sexton suggest Didi do when she tells him how old she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sexton want to kill himself?
2. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
3. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
4. Why does Sexton's mother send him out of the house?
5. How does Sexton show his compassion when he sees Billy?
6. What does Sexton think is happening to Didi when she tells him who she is?
7. What does Sexton do when Hettie speaks to him on the street?
8. What does Hettie use the bird for?
9. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
10. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What happened to the girl with the gloves, and why was this significant to Sexton and his life?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book, presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)