|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sexton threatened with after he trips while leaving Didi's place?
2. What is Mrs. Robbins's occupation?
3. How old is a Haruspex?
4. Where does Sexton live?
5. What is Billy's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sexton meet Didi?
2. What does Hettie want from Didi, and what is Didi's response to this?
3. What does Hettie do when the girls get angry with her?
4. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
5. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
6. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
7. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
8. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
9. What happens when Sexton leaves Didi's apartment?
10. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hettie searching for in this book, how did she find it, and why was this so important to her and Didi?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)