|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sexton suggest Didi do when she tells him how old she is?
2. Who do the girls bring to Hettie at the beginning of the book?
3. How old does Didi tell Sexton she is?
4. How long ago did Didi begin living alone?
5. How many girls is Hettie waiting for at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sexton do when Hettie speaks to him on the street?
2. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
3. What does Didi tell Sexton she is?
4. What does Sexton say his mother is clueless about?
5. Why does Hettie think Sexton can show her where Didi is?
6. Why does Sexton's mother send him out of the house?
7. How does Sexton show his compassion when he sees Billy?
8. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
9. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
10. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Billy different from the other characters in the book, and what message was sent through his inclusion in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hettie searching for in this book, how did she find it, and why was this so important to her and Didi?
Essay Topic 3
`What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)