|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sexton suggest Didi do when she tells him how old she is?
2. Who tells Sexton about why Didi lives alone?
3. Why does Sexton's mother send him out?
4. What purpose does Didi say her family served for her?
5. What is wrong with Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
2. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
3. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
4. What brings Didi great joy when she gets to her apartment?
5. What does Hettie use the bird for?
6. What does Hettie do when the girls get angry with her?
7. How does Sexton meet Didi?
8. Why does Sexton want to kill himself?
9. Why does Hettie think Sexton can show her where Didi is?
10. What does Didi tell Sexton she is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Sexton continue to follow Didi throughout the day, and what does this indicate about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book, presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hettie searching for in this book, how did she find it, and why was this so important to her and Didi?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)