|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sexton say he hoped Didi was when he met her?
2. How did Hettie break the leg of one of the girls?
3. What is Sexton writing about at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Sexton's last name?
5. What does Sexton get trapped under after he slips?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls think Hettie is going to do with the bird they bring her?
2. What does Hettie do when the girls get angry with her?
3. What does Sexton say his mother is clueless about?
4. How does Sexton meet Didi?
5. Why does Sexton want to kill himself?
6. What does Sexton say when he sees a picture of Didi's family?
7. What does Sexton do before leaving his house as his mother sends him away?
8. What does Didi say about her family when Sexton comments on a picture of them?
9. Why do the girls get angry with Hettie?
10. What does Sexton think is happening to Didi when she tells him who she is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Sexton endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What did Didi say was the purpose of her day as a mortal, and how did the other main characters respond to this idea?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)