|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 22, what type of handkerchiefs do Race and Poirot find in Richetti's cabin?
2. In chapter 24, who bursts into Dr. Bessner's cabin and claims to know who the killer is?
3. In chapter 21, who are Race and Poirot told took the pearls from Linnet Doyle's room?
4. To whom in chapter 19 does Poirot comment on the vision of the moon after the sun has disappeared, a thought both Simon Doyle and Jackie de Bellefort have previously expressed to him?
5. In chapter 27, who does Poirot suggest Rosalie Otterbourne saw leaving Linnet's cabin and has been trying to protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 25, how does Cornelia react to the proposal of Mr. Ferguson? Why does Miss van Schuyler at first refuse to consider Mr. Ferguson as a suitor for her niece, but later thinks differently?
2. In chapter 18, Poirot and Race interview Mr. Pennington. Who does Mr. Pennington suggest is the killer? What reason does Mr. Pennington give for quickly leaving the interview?
3. In chapter 23, Poirot confronts Miss Otterbourne once again. What is the nature of this confrontation?
4. In chapter 31, what happens when Jackie and Simon are escorted off of the cruise ship to be turned over to police custody?
5. In chapter 24, which passengers are immediate suspects in the death of Mrs. Otterbourne? Why?
6. In chapter 21, where does Miss Bowers claim she got the pearls? Why did she not come forward sooner?
7. In chapter 28, what does Cornelia learn about her aunt that upsets her? Why?
8. In chapter 30, how does Jackie claim that Simon Doyle felt about Linnet from the moment they met?
9. In chapter 30, how does Jackie respond when Poirot confronts her with the truth?
10. In chapter 26, why does Poirot accuse Mr. Fanthrop of lying about his true identity? What reason does Mr. Fanthrop give for being on the cruise ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Pennington? How does he explain running into Simon and Linnet on their honeymoon? What does Pennington tell Poirot about his relationship to Linnet and her family? What does Pennington attempt to have Linnet do while on the cruise ship? Who interferes with this process? For what reason? What kind of business woman is Linnet? What impact might this have on her future? How is Linnet almost injured while visiting some temples? Who does Simon blame for this attack on his wife? Who is really responsible?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mrs. Allerton invite Poirot to join she and her son at their dining table on the cruise ship? How does Tim react to this news? For what reason? What dominates the conversation at dinner the first night on the cruise ship? Which couple do the passengers seem most interested in? For what reason? How do most of the passengers get along? How do Simon and Linnet react to seeing Jackie on the cruise ship? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)