|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 25, who takes charge over Miss Otterbourne?
2. In chapter 21, where were the pearls discovered the morning after Linnet's murder?
3. In chapter 26, who does Fanthorp claim sent him on this trip?
4. In chapter 17, Rosalie Otterbourne outright denies accusations that she was threw something overboard the night before. Who made this accusation?
5. In chapter 23, how has Linnet's maid been murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 23, Poirot confronts Miss Otterbourne once again. What is the nature of this confrontation?
2. In chapter 24, Poirot and Race confront Mr. Pennington about his illegal dealings with Linnet Doyle's business interests. What does Mr. Pennington say in his own defense?
3. In chapter 21, where does Miss Bowers claim she got the pearls? Why did she not come forward sooner?
4. In chapter 24, which passengers are immediate suspects in the death of Mrs. Otterbourne? Why?
5. In chapter 17, what is the attitude of Mr. Ferguson when Poirot and Race interview him? What might this indicate?
6. In chapter 31, what happens when Jackie and Simon are escorted off of the cruise ship to be turned over to police custody?
7. In chapter 27, why does Poirot decide to allow Tim Allerton to go free even though he has essentially confessed to a crime?
8. In chapter 19, who does Simon Doyle ask to see? For what reason?
9. In chapter 29, who does Poirot finally accuse of being Linnet, the maid, and Mrs. Otterbourne's killers?
10. In chapter 19, what does Miss Otterbourne finally admit to Poirot? Why does Poirot think that Miss Otterbourne is continuing to lie to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What one thing do several of the passengers report hearing about the time of the murder? What is significant about this? What do the sailors find in the river upon searching at Poirot's request? What is this item wrapped in? What is significant about this? What bothers Poirot about this? Who saw Rosalie at the railings about the time of the murder the night before? What was Rosalie doing? Why does Rosalie initially deny being on the deck? Who did Rosalie see that night? Why does she refuse to tell anyone about this sighting? What comes of this information?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Simon and Jackie
2) Ferguson and Cornelia
3) Rosalie and Tim
4) Tim and Joanna.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)