|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 22, what does Poirot find interesting in Linnet Doyle's cabin?
2. In chapter 24, who bursts into Dr. Bessner's cabin and claims to know who the killer is?
3. In chapter 31, who is to be escorted off the ship first?
4. In chapter 30, how does Jackie say Simon might have killed Linnet if she had not helped with the planning?
5. What does Race suggest in chapter 18 that he and Poirot should focus on next in their investigation.
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 24, why is Mrs. Otterbourne killed?
2. In chapter 25, how does Pennington respond when Poirot and Race confront him about the use of his gun in the murder of Mrs. Otterbourne?
3. In chapter 27, why does Poirot decide to allow Tim Allerton to go free even though he has essentially confessed to a crime?
4. In chapter 26, why does Poirot accuse Mr. Fanthrop of lying about his true identity? What reason does Mr. Fanthrop give for being on the cruise ship?
5. In chapter 22, Race and Poirot learn the results of the search of the passengers. In whose possession did they find guns?
6. In chapter 25, how does Cornelia react to the proposal of Mr. Ferguson? Why does Miss van Schuyler at first refuse to consider Mr. Ferguson as a suitor for her niece, but later thinks differently?
7. In chapter 28, what does Cornelia learn about her aunt that upsets her? Why?
8. In chapter 28, who does Race realize is the agitator he has been searching for? How does he learn this?
9. In chapter 17, Miss Otterbourne refutes everything that Miss van Schuyler said about her in a previous chapter. Could Miss van Schuyler be lying? For what purpose?
10. In chapter 19, who does Simon Doyle ask to see? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Richetti? What does he do for a living? How does Poirot respond to him on their first meeting? Why does Richetti become annoyed with Linnet while on the cruise ship? What did Linnet do? For what reason? What type of weapon is found on Richetti during a search? How does he explain this weapon? Is it illegal? Who does Colonel Race later reveal Richetti to be? How does this knowledge come about?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jackie admit to killing Linnet, the maid, and Mrs. Otterbourne? For what reason does she say she did this? Why did Simon marry Linnet in the first place? How does this prove that Linnet was not the bad person Jackie portrayed her to be? How did Simon really feel about Linnet? Why did he kill her? What did he hope would be the ultimate reward of killing Linnet? How does Jackie respond to Poirot's accusations? To the news that Simon has admitted the truth? What happens to Jackie and Simon in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Linnet Ridgeway? What is Wode Hall? How have the local people reacted to Linnet's purchase of Wode Hall? What plans does Linnet have for Wode Hall? How has moving to this small village changed Linnet's life? Who is Joanna? What do Linnet and Joanna discuss in the first chapter of the book? How is this significant? Who is Linnet supposedly going to marry? How does Linnet feel about this proposed marriage? Why is this future marriage important to both families?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)