|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Poirot suggest that Linnet Doyle has put up with harassment on her honeymoon?
2. Where did Colonel Race learn that his agitator would be on the cruise ship?
3. In what point of view is the novel written?
4. What kind of mood does Poirot note in chapter 10 Linnet Doyle has adopted?
5. What does Jackie de Bellefort say to Poirot in chapter 11 after watching Simon and Linnet together?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 6, what advice does Poirot give to Simon Doyle about evading Jackie in the future?
2. In chapter 16, what does the manager of the cruise ship show to Poirot? Where was it found?
3. What does Mrs. Otterbourne do for a living? How does Rosalie appear to feel about this occupation?
4. In chapter 2, what scene does Poirot witness between Linnet, Simon, and Jackie? What is significant about this scene?
5. In chapter 9, what is odd about Mrs. Otterbourne's behavior?
6. In chapter 15, why does one of the ship's engineers claim he disliked Linnet Doyle?
7. In chapter 10, who does Poirot speak to about Linnet? What does he learn?
8. In chapter 9, Mr. Pennington attempts to have Linnet sign some legal papers for him? What does Linnet do that annoys Mr. Pennington? How does Simon say he would do things differently?
9. In chapter 5, what does Jackie tell Poirot about her relationship with Simon?
10. What does Jackie show Poirot in chapter 5? What is significant about this item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Simon shot? Why did Simon spend the night in Dr. Bessner's room? What bad news does Simon learn the next morning? How does Simon's injury provide him with an alibi? Who does Simon insist on seeing the next morning? For what reason? What happened to the gun used to shoot Simon? Who was sent to find the gun the night before? What did he report?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)