|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 13, how bad does Dr. Bessner say Simon Doyle's gunshot wound is?
2. How was Linnet Doyle killed?
3. What alibi does Fleetwood offer in chapter 15?
4. Who is coming off the ship in chapter 10 as Simon escorts his wife back on board?
5. Why does Jackie pull a gun on Simon Doyle in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 6, what advice does Poirot give to Simon Doyle about evading Jackie in the future?
2. Who does Poirot meet in chapter 7 when he goes to visit a museum on Elephantine Island?
3. In chapter 15, what common thing do three of the passengers report hearing about the time of the murder? What does this cause Poirot to believe happened just after the murder?
4. In chapter 16, what does the manager of the cruise ship show to Poirot? Where was it found?
5. What does Mrs. Otterbourne do for a living? How does Rosalie appear to feel about this occupation?
6. How does Tim Allerton respond to his mother's decision to invite Hercule Poirot to join them at their table at meal times?
7. In chapter 4, why does Linnet Doyle approach Poirot? What does she ask of him?
8. In chapter 2, what scene does Poirot witness between Linnet, Simon, and Jackie? What is significant about this scene?
9. What is the most significant thing about the character of Linnet Ridgeway as she is introduced in chapter 1?
10. In chapter 10, who does Poirot speak to about Linnet? What does he learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Rosalie Otterbourne? What is her relationship to Poirot? How do most people see Rosalie upon first meeting her? What is Rosalie's mother like? What does Mrs. Otterbourne do for a living? How does this occupation embarrass Rosalie? For what reason? Who is Tim Allerton? How are the characters of Tim and Rosalie similar? How are they different? Why does Tim dislike Rosalie upon their first meeting? Is this opinion likely to change as the novel progresses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Richetti? What does he do for a living? How does Poirot respond to him on their first meeting? Why does Richetti become annoyed with Linnet while on the cruise ship? What did Linnet do? For what reason? What type of weapon is found on Richetti during a search? How does he explain this weapon? Is it illegal? Who does Colonel Race later reveal Richetti to be? How does this knowledge come about?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jackie? What happened to Jackie's family money? Why is this significant? Who is Simon? How does Jackie feel about Simon? What does Poirot overhear Jackie and Simon talking about? What does Poirot take from this conversation? How does Jackie know Linnet? Why does Jackie go to Linnet for help? What kind of help does Jackie ask for? What is Linnet's response? What does this say about the relationship between Jackie and Linnet?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)