|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poirot encourage Jackie to do in chapter 5?
2. What alibi does Fleetwood offer in chapter 15?
3. In what point of view is the novel written?
4. For what reason does Mr. Pennington give for needing Linnet's signature on some documents in chapter 9?
5. What do Poirot and Mrs. Allerton think of Mr. Fanthrop in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Poirot react in chapter 8 when he sees Jackie on board the cruise ship?
2. In chapter 5, what does Jackie tell Poirot about her relationship with Simon?
3. In chapter 6, who does Simon Doyle tell Poirot Mr. Pennington is? What is significant about Pennington's running into Linnet and Simon on their honeymoon?
4. Who does Poirot meet in chapter 7 when he goes to visit a museum on Elephantine Island?
5. What is Poirot's first assessment of Simon and Linnet when he sees them on board the Karnak? How does this assessment soon change?
6. In chapter 14, Poirot and Race interview Simon Doyle about the death of his wife. Who does Simon immediately defend as the murderer? Who does Simon suggest might have committed the murder?
7. In chapter 13, who is Poirot's first suspect when he learns that Linnet Doyle has been killed?
8. In chapter 4, why does Linnet Doyle approach Poirot? What does she ask of him?
9. In chapter 15, why does one of the ship's engineers claim he disliked Linnet Doyle?
10. In chapter 9, Mr. Pennington attempts to have Linnet sign some legal papers for him? What does Linnet do that annoys Mr. Pennington? How does Simon say he would do things differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jackie remain in the saloon long after everyone has left in chapter 12? Who does she encourage to remain with her? For what reason? With whom does Jackie pick a fight? For what apparent reason? How does this person respond to Jackie? What happens when Jackie pulls out a gun? Where does the gun end up? Who takes Jackie from the room? For what reason? Where is Jackie taken? Who is assigned to remain with Jackie? How does this provide Jackie with an alibi the following morning?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Pennington? How does he explain running into Simon and Linnet on their honeymoon? What does Pennington tell Poirot about his relationship to Linnet and her family? What does Pennington attempt to have Linnet do while on the cruise ship? Who interferes with this process? For what reason? What kind of business woman is Linnet? What impact might this have on her future? How is Linnet almost injured while visiting some temples? Who does Simon blame for this attack on his wife? Who is really responsible?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Richetti? What does he do for a living? How does Poirot respond to him on their first meeting? Why does Richetti become annoyed with Linnet while on the cruise ship? What did Linnet do? For what reason? What type of weapon is found on Richetti during a search? How does he explain this weapon? Is it illegal? Who does Colonel Race later reveal Richetti to be? How does this knowledge come about?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)