|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poirot encourage Jackie to do in chapter 5?
2. Where does Race hypothesize the murderer got the gun to kill Linnet Doyle?
3. Who do Race and Poirot interview first about the two shootings in chapter 13?
4. What does Poirot always drink at dinner that is distinct because he is the only one who drinks it at his table?
5. How do many of the other vacationers appear to know Hercule Poirot?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 10, who does Poirot speak to about Linnet? What does he learn?
2. In chapter 4, why does Linnet Doyle approach Poirot? What does she ask of him?
3. In chapter 15, why does one of the ship's engineers claim he disliked Linnet Doyle?
4. In chapter 16, what does the manager of the cruise ship show to Poirot? Where was it found?
5. How does Tim Allerton respond to his mother's decision to invite Hercule Poirot to join them at their table at meal times?
6. In chapter 10, what happens to make Simon think that Jackie is trying to make an attempt on Linnet's life?
7. In chapter 9, what is odd about Mrs. Otterbourne's behavior?
8. What is Poirot's first assessment of Simon and Linnet when he sees them on board the Karnak? How does this assessment soon change?
9. In chapter 13, a letter j is found written in blood above Linnet's body. What does Poirot think the purpose of this was and to what does he compare it?
10. In chapter 15, what common thing do three of the passengers report hearing about the time of the murder? What does this cause Poirot to believe happened just after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jackie admit to killing Linnet, the maid, and Mrs. Otterbourne? For what reason does she say she did this? Why did Simon marry Linnet in the first place? How does this prove that Linnet was not the bad person Jackie portrayed her to be? How did Simon really feel about Linnet? Why did he kill her? What did he hope would be the ultimate reward of killing Linnet? How does Jackie respond to Poirot's accusations? To the news that Simon has admitted the truth? What happens to Jackie and Simon in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Miss Van Schuyler? Where is she from? What is significant about her relationship with her niece, Cornelia? Describe Cornelia. How do the characters of Cornelia and Miss Van Schuyler compare? How are they different? How does Cornelia's personality compare to the other young women introduced in chapters one and two? Rosalie? Jackie? Linnet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Simon and Jackie
2) Ferguson and Cornelia
3) Rosalie and Tim
4) Tim and Joanna.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)