|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does Mrs. Otterbourne suggest Miss Bowers might be Linnet's killer in chapter 17?
(a) She is clearly envious of Linnet's money.
(b) She is socially repressed.
(c) She is clearly in love with Simon Doyle.
(d) She is sexually repressed.
2. In chapter 26, why does Pennington say he had not motive to kill Linnet?
(a) Nothing changes for him as he will continue to manage her money for Simon Doyle.
(b) He loses a client with her death.
(c) He loses a good friend with her death.
(d) He gets nothing from her estate.
3. In chapter 21, who do Poirot and Race claim they would like to interview next?
(b) Tim Allerton.
4. In chapter 31, why does Poirot suggest to Race that Jackie became involved in the murder plot?
(a) She was manipulated by Simon.
(b) She loved Simon too much.
(c) She disliked Linnet from the very beginning.
(d) She was too greedy.
5. In chapter 18, how many of the passengers are Poirot and Race able to rule out in the murder of Linnet Doyle?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Pennington say in chapter 18 that Linnet was raised?
2. In chapter 28, what does Cornelia say when she learns that Mr. Ferguson is really a high born man?
3. Which of the following is not part of the evidence Poirot feels points to the correct murderer in chapter 27?
4. In chapter 28, who has helped explain kleptomania to Cornelia?
5. In chapter 17, what basic instinct does Mrs. Otterbourne attribute to most murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 25, how does Cornelia react to the proposal of Mr. Ferguson? Why does Miss van Schuyler at first refuse to consider Mr. Ferguson as a suitor for her niece, but later thinks differently?
2. In chapter 24, why is Mrs. Otterbourne killed?
3. In chapter 26, why does Poirot accuse Mr. Fanthrop of lying about his true identity? What reason does Mr. Fanthrop give for being on the cruise ship?
4. In chapter 27, why does Poirot decide to allow Tim Allerton to go free even though he has essentially confessed to a crime?
5. In chapter 17, Miss Otterbourne refutes everything that Miss van Schuyler said about her in a previous chapter. Could Miss van Schuyler be lying? For what purpose?
6. In chapter 18, Poirot and Race interview Mr. Pennington. Who does Mr. Pennington suggest is the killer? What reason does Mr. Pennington give for quickly leaving the interview?
7. In chapter 19, who does Simon Doyle ask to see? For what reason?
8. In chapter 31, who does Cornelia announce she plans to marry? For what reason?
9. In chapter 17, what is the attitude of Mr. Ferguson when Poirot and Race interview him? What might this indicate?
10. In chapter 29, who does Poirot finally accuse of being Linnet, the maid, and Mrs. Otterbourne's killers?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)