|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many of the other vacationers appear to know Hercule Poirot?
(a) He is a well-known novelist.
(b) He is a well-known detective.
(c) He is a famous entertainer.
(d) He is a wealthy man who often travels in such circles.
2. What do Poirot and Mrs. Allerton think of Mr. Fanthrop in chapter 7?
(a) He is gentle and unassuming.
(b) He is crude and annoying.
(c) He is quiet and intelligent.
(d) He is loud and boisterous.
3. Where does Hercule Poirot stay in chapter 3?
(a) Holiday Inn.
(b) Club Med.
(c) The Karnak.
(d) Cataract Hotel.
4. In chapter 7, who does Poirot overhear saying that they must go through with it now?
(a) Rosalie Otterbourne.
(b) Jackie de Bellefort.
(c) Tim Allerton.
(d) Simon Doyle.
5. In chapter 10, with whom does Cornelia tour the sights?
(a) Dr. Bessner.
(b) Mr. Ferguson.
(c) Mr. Allerton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Allerton claim she learned about Jackie's innocence in the murder of Linnet Doyle in chapter 15?
2. How does Simon Doyle respond when Poirot asks in chapter 6 if he is still in love with Jackie?
3. Who does Jackie claim to admire in chapter 12?
4. What is bigamy?
5. What is wrapped around the gun when the ship's personnel find it in the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the relationship between Tim and Joanna? Why does Tim make a point of telling Linnet about this relationship?
2. In chapter 10, who does Poirot speak to about Linnet? What does he learn?
3. In chapter 15, why does one of the ship's engineers claim he disliked Linnet Doyle?
4. What does Jackie show Poirot in chapter 5? What is significant about this item?
5. In chapter 13, a letter j is found written in blood above Linnet's body. What does Poirot think the purpose of this was and to what does he compare it?
6. How does Tim Allerton respond to his mother's decision to invite Hercule Poirot to join them at their table at meal times?
7. Who does Poirot meet in chapter 7 when he goes to visit a museum on Elephantine Island?
8. How does Poirot react in chapter 8 when he sees Jackie on board the cruise ship?
9. In chapter 4, why does Linnet Doyle approach Poirot? What does she ask of him?
10. In chapter 16, Race and Poirot interview Miss van Schuyler. Who does Miss van Schuyler claim she saw throwing something overboard the night of the murder? What does this imply about the person in question?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)