|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears to be following Simon and Linnet Doyle in chapter 2?
(a) Hercule Poirot.
(b) Tim Allerton.
(c) Jackie de Bellefort.
(d) Rosalie Otterbourne.
2. Why does Poirot tell Jackie at the end of chapter 7 that he feels sorry for her?
(a) She is poor and spending her last pennies to obsess over the Doyles.
(b) She has chosen a dangerous path.
(c) She is only making people dislike her with her actions.
(d) She is a pitiful creature, obsessed with jealousy.
3. Who does Jackie claim to admire in chapter 12?
4. Who is Fleetwood?
(a) Linnet's former lover.
(b) Linnet's former estate manager.
(c) An engineer on the ship.
(d) The ship's manager.
5. Who does Cornelia tour the temple of Abu Simbel with?
(a) Mr. Ferguson.
(b) Dr. Bessner.
(d) Miss van Schuyler.
6. Where is Cornelia from?
7. In chapter 5, where does Poirot tell Jackie he has seen her previously?
(a) On a flight from England to Egypt.
(b) At Linnet Doyle's wedding.
(c) In a restaurant called Chez Ma Tante.
(d) In a hotel in London.
8. In chapter 7, what cousin of the Allerton's does Poirot learn is also a friend of Linnet Doyle's?
(a) Joanna Southwood.
(b) Colonel Race.
(c) Rosalie Otterbourne.
(d) Mr. Richetti.
9. What advice did Poirot give to the Doyles in chapter 11 that he says they refused to take?
(a) To return to Linnet's estate at Wode Hall.
(b) To remain in their cabin the rest of the voyage.
(c) To go to the police about the fallen boulder.
(d) To leave the cruise ship.
10. What does Poirot refuse to do in Linnet's name, but agrees to do as a matter of courtesy?
(a) He will speak to Jackie.
(b) He will speak to a friend at Scotland Yard.
(c) He will provide her with a gun.
(d) He will contact a lawyer for her.
11. What does Mrs. Otterbourne insist on giving Poirot in chapter 3?
(a) A new magazine.
(b) A tip.
(c) A picture of herself.
(d) One of her novels.
12. Why does the maid turn to Simon Doyle in chapter 14 for reassurance?
(a) She is trying to blackmail him without Poirot knowing it.
(b) She is afraid she will be accused of theft in Linnet's pearls.
(c) She turns to Doyle because he is still her employer.
(d) She feels Poirot is accusing her of murder.
13. What is wrapped around the gun when the ship's personnel find it in the river?
(a) Miss van Schuyler's fur stole.
(b) A woman's petticoat.
(c) A man's jacket.
(d) A small pillow.
14. What item does Mrs. Otterbourne often wear that many passengers note throughout the novel, including in chapter 7?
(a) A turban.
(b) A sarong.
(c) A veiled hat.
(d) A velvet stole.
15. How was Linnet Doyle killed?
(a) Multiple knife wounds to her body.
(b) A single shot to the chest.
(c) A single shot to the head.
(d) A knife to the heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Poirot decide to spend the final two hours before lunch in chapter 7?
2. Who informs Poirot in chapter 13 of Linnet Doyle's death?
3. Why does Poirot say he cannot stop Jackie from her plan to seek revenge against Linnet and Simon Doyle?
4. Who does Poirot learn in chapter 13 found the body of Linnet Doyle?
5. Why does Jackie pull a gun on Simon Doyle in chapter 12?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)