Chapter 1 | Chapters 2
• Linnet, a wealthy American heiress, has recently purchased an estate in England. There she speaks with old friend, Joanna, about a mutual friend and a set of pearls Linnet has.
• Linnet is expected to marry a wealthy Englishman, but later decides this is not really what she wants.
• Detective Poirot overhears a young couple discussing their future at a favorite restaurant.
• Linnet's old friend, Jackie, introduces her to Jackie's fiance, Simon, whom Linnet has promised to give a job.
• Tim Allerton arranges a trip to Egypt with his mother after reading a letter from Joanna. American, Miss Van Schuyler, arranges for her niece to go to Egypt as her companion.
• Andrew Pennington becomes upset when he learns Linnet has married and arranges to intercept her in Egypt while she is honeymooning.
• Poirot arrives in Assuan and is introduced to several other vacationers in the area.
This section contains 2,048 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)