|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Domenica's occupation?
(a) A pilot.
(b) An artist.
(c) A nun.
(d) A secretary.
2. Who rummaged through the upstairs of Mr. Lorrimer's house earlier in the day?
(a) Mrs Swaffield.
(b) Angela Foley.
(c) Director Howarth.
(d) Stella Mawson.
3. What does Doyle plan to do about his job?
(a) Ask for a transfer.
(b) He does not mention his job.
(c) Resign it.
(d) Ask for a promotion.
4. What new information does Domenica give the detectives?
(a) That she is having an affair with Inspector Doyle.
(b) The fact that Dr. Lorrimer and Stella Mawson were once married.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer was having an affair with Angela Foley.
(d) That she saw Dr. Lorrimer being murdered.
5. What happens two months prior to Dr. Lorrimer's death?
(a) His affair with Domenica ends.
(b) He travels to Ireland with Domenica.
(c) It is when Domenica flirts with Dr. Lorrimer to unsuccessfully seduce him.
(d) He ends an affair with Brenda Pridmore.
6. What seems paradoxical about Mr. Lorrimer when he speaks of his son?
(a) He seems to both love and hate his son.
(b) He talks of him as if he were alive and yet also dead.
(c) He seems both proud of and yet disparging of his son.
(d) He seems to both like and dislike his son.
7. What do the detectives do immediately?
(a) Run after a figure they see in the gardens.
(b) Start resusitation upon Stella.
(c) Call 911.
(d) Handcuff Domenica.
8. What does Brenda do before she faints.
(a) Calls Dalgliesh on the chapel phone.
(b) Hits Dr. Kerrison.
(d) Rings the chapel bell.
9. Who is Miss Williard?
(a) The next-door neighbor of the Kerrisons.
(b) The town's librarian.
(c) The Kerrison's housekeeper.
(d) The lab's librarian.
10. How does Dr. Kerrison appear as he is answering Dalgliesh's questions?
11. What has Dalgliesh discovered on his first day of investigating?
(a) Plenty of possible motives.
(b) That the townspeople are in general uncooperative.
(c) That Scotland Yard is not liked in this small village.
(d) No real motives.
12. About what does the rector's wife talk non-stop?
(b) Dr. Lorrimer as a child.
(c) The fate of Dr. Lorrimer's mother.
(d) What the village believes happened to Dr. Lorrimer.
13. What does Howarth tell Brenda Pridmore when she arrives at work?
(a) That she will lose her job if she is late again.
(b) That she is fired.
(c) That she is to be promoted.
(d) That she is to work with Howarth for the day.
14. What do Pridmore and Howarth discuss?
(a) Pridmore going to school in London.
(b) Whether Pridmore will accept the inheritance from Dr. Lorrimer.
(c) Pridmore working her way in to a biologist position at the lab.
(d) The comparison of the process of scientific research to that of murder detective work.
15. What do the detectives immediately see upon opening the chapel door?
(a) It is dark and they see nothing.
(b) Angela holding Stella's legs.
(c) Domenica opening a trunk in the sacristy.
(d) Stella Mawson's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the driver of the bus and conductor see?
2. What does Stella probably know?
3. How long has Mawson been dead?
4. To what does Director Howarth think back?
5. What is Doyle doing in his car?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)