|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alfred Goddard?
(a) Dr. Lorrimer's gardener.
(b) Angela Foley's father.
(c) Dr. Lorrimer's solicitor.
(d) A witness who was riding the bus the night of the murder.
2. What mystery does Dalgliesh solve in the chapel?
(a) Who Brenda saw in the new lab.
(b) The meaning of the numbers that Mr. Lorrimer tells Dalgliesh about.
(c) What the caller who talked to Mr. Bidwell wanted.
(d) Why Domenica said she had sex in the car.
3. What is Brenda looking for in the files in Dr. Howarth's office?
(a) Any that mention the numbers eighteen or forty burned candles.
(b) Any mistake in the staining process.
(c) Any mention of an argument between Dr. Lorrimer and any other staff member.
(d) Any mention of Dr. Lorrimer and his affair with Howarth's sister.
4. Of what does Mawson say Bradley probably reminds Dr. Lorrimer?
(a) Lorrimer's first boss.
(c) Lorrimer's father.
(d) Lorrimer's brother.
5. What is Domenica's attitude towards the detectives?
(b) Completely hostile.
(c) Very warm and friendly.
(d) Neither warm nor hostile.
6. What happens to Dr. Lorrimer for about six months?
(a) He takes a class in London on forensics psychology.
(b) He seems almost happy.
(c) He stops going to church.
(d) He is morose and moody.
7. Who sees Dr. Lorrimer dead but leaves the scene without telling anyone?
(a) Domenica Schofield.
(b) No one.
(c) Director Howarth.
(d) Cliff Bradley.
8. With whom does Domenica live?
(a) Director Howarth.
(b) Dr. Kerrison.
(c) Dr. Lorrimer.
(d) By herself.
9. What does Howarth tell Brenda Pridmore when she arrives at work?
(a) That she is fired.
(b) That she is to be promoted.
(c) That she will lose her job if she is late again.
(d) That she is to work with Howarth for the day.
10. What are Massingham and Dalgliesh doing when they hear chapel bells?
(a) Sitting in a car talking about the case.
(b) Talking to Inspector Doyle at the police station.
(c) In the lab office.
(d) In their hotel rooms near the chapel.
11. What is Domenica's occupation?
(a) A nun.
(b) An artist.
(c) A secretary.
(d) A pilot.
12. What is the most striking thing about Dr. Lorrimer's room?
(a) The collection of toy soldiers lining shelves on the wall.
(b) The fact that there is very little in the room.
(c) A huge chart of the milky way galaxy.
(d) The large number of books.
13. How does the rector's wife describe Mr. Lorrimer and his son?
(b) Hostile and abusive.
(d) Friendly and outgoing.
14. Where is Doyle parked the night of the murder of Lorrimer?
(a) At the village concert.
(b) At the Catholic church.
(c) At the lab.
(d) At home.
15. How does Stella Mawson seem as Dalgliesh questions her?
(b) Veiled hostility.
(c) Openly hostile.
(d) Congenial and open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lorrimer remember about a conversation with a woman who calls earlier in the week?
2. To whose car are the tire tracks matched?
3. What does Stella say her publisher has for her?
4. Who rummaged through the upstairs of Mr. Lorrimer's house earlier in the day?
5. What new information does Domenica give the detectives?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)