|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artemio feels that Lilia could never understand:
2. Lunero is:
3. The war that Lunero thinks of is the:
4. Whose planes begin to bomb them?
5. The girl hired for the trip is named:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teresa accuse Artemio of in a discussion with Catalina?
2. There are excerpts from the various conversations taking place at the party. What two people are many of the guests talking about?
3. What happens in the mountains?
4. What happens when the phone rings at Laura's apartment?
5. Why are Miguel and Lorenzo upset about the four generals?
6. What is the cause that Lorenzo left to fight in?
7. Why do they ask Cruz if he can make canoes?
8. What does Catalina want?
9. Why is Regina different than the other women in his life?
10. How does Artemio amuse himself while lying in his bed at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When people regain consciousness, they appear confused as it takes some time for them to gain their bearings. Explain how Fuentes achieves this with Cruz. Does this convey the experience to the reader? Is there a better way in which to convey this experience? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Artemio thinks "We rode across the river, you died, I survived." Who is Artemio referring to? How did this affect him for the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Cruz's encounter with Gonzalo Bernal changed his life. Explain how. Was Cruz calculating and determined to get what he wanted no matter what the cost? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)