|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Artemio call for while lying in his bed?
2. The girl hired for the trip is named:
3. Zagal tells Cruz that:
4. At Perales, Zagal:
5. Artemio is lying in bed thinking of:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause that Lorenzo left to fight in?
2. Why do they ask Cruz if he can make canoes?
3. What is learned in the chapter about Ctalina and Artemio?
4. Lilia and the man do not have much conversation. What indications is there of who the man is?
5. What happens when Captain Cruz and his patrol are tracking Villa's men?
6. What does Catalina want?
7. What does Teresa accuse Artemio of in a discussion with Catalina?
8. When Zagal and his troops arrive at Perales, what does Zagal say to Cruz?
9. What happens as Carranza's troops attack Perales?
10. How does Artemio amuse himself while lying in his bed at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Artemio understand what his son meant when he said he was leaving Mexico to fight for a cause? Why didn't he try to stop him? He knows that fighting in Spain could cost him his life. Would Artemio have felt comfortable with himself if he had tried to prevent his son from leaving?
Essay Topic 2
Fuentes uses an interesting combination of past and future tenses when Cruz is thinking about his life. What is the purpose of this? Do you think it is effective or does it create confusion for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The end of each chapter dealt with Artemio lying in bed sick and thinking. Explain how he gradually came to accept his death. Do you think he gave up on living? Why or why not?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)