|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cruz challenges Zagal to:
2. Lunero is:
3. The man concludes that the secret to success with women is to be:
4. Who is the old woman in the mansion?
5. After the morning on the boat, Lilia and the man:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Pedrito before Luncero can be removed?
2. Miguel and Lorenzo meet Lola, Maria and Nuri in the streets and the group joins forces. What are their plans?
3. What is learned in the chapter about Ctalina and Artemio?
4. What happens when Captain Cruz and his patrol are tracking Villa's men?
5. Who is Lilia?
6. What does Laura tell Artemio of their relationship?
7. Why do they ask Cruz if he can make canoes?
8. What happens as Carranza's troops attack Perales?
9. How does Artemio amuse himself while lying in his bed at home?
10. Lilia and the man do not have much conversation. What indications is there of who the man is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Artemio thinks "We rode across the river, you died, I survived." Who is Artemio referring to? How did this affect him for the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the structure of the novel. In addition to the overall structure, also comment on the structure of each chapter. Does the fact that the chapters are not in chronological order cause confusion?
Essay Topic 3
What are your overall impressions of the novel? Did you like it? Why or why not? Did you like Fuentes' style of writing and the structure of the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)