|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All the profits from the cedar and mahogany forests would go to the:
2. At every town they entered, the General would do all but:
3. What do Padilla and Artemio work on at the hospital?
4. Don Gamaliel owned land in:
5. At the opening of the book, Artemio Cruz is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catalina tell Artemio about what happened before they were married?
2. What happens when Artemio is at the dinner table with Don Gamaliel and Catalina?
3. Who is Regina?
4. What is the relationship between Gonzalo Bernal and Artemio Cruz?
5. What is the subject of the business meeting between Artemio and the Americans?
6. Why does Don Gamaliel support a match between Artemio and Catalina?
7. What does the chauffeur think while sitting in traffic?
8. What do the girl and her mother talk about at the dress shop?
9. What are Teresa and Catalina upset about in Artemio's hospital room?
10. Why does Artemio Cruz pay a visit to Father Paez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fuentes uses an interesting combination of past and future tenses when Cruz is thinking about his life. What is the purpose of this? Do you think it is effective or does it create confusion for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the structure of the novel. In addition to the overall structure, also comment on the structure of each chapter. Does the fact that the chapters are not in chronological order cause confusion?
Essay Topic 3
What are your overall impressions of the novel? Did you like it? Why or why not? Did you like Fuentes' style of writing and the structure of the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)