|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they see when they return to Rio Hondo?
2. What does Artemio say to Don Gamaliel about the political and social situation:
3. What does the dress store clerk think about the women models in the store?
4. Don Gamaliel shares with Artemio his list of:
5. How old is Cruz at the time of this incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Regina?
2. Who does Cruz see when he first opens his eyes?
3. Why does the police commander have Cruz brought to Saturno's?
4. How does the book open?
5. What was the threat that Don Gamaliel faced from his peasants?
6. Why does Artemio go to visit Don Gamaliel?
7. What kinds of goods are the two women shopping for?
8. What does the chauffeur think while sitting in traffic?
9. Why does Don Gamaliel support a match between Artemio and Catalina?
10. What is the subject of the business meeting between Artemio and the Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Artemio understand what his son meant when he said he was leaving Mexico to fight for a cause? Why didn't he try to stop him? He knows that fighting in Spain could cost him his life. Would Artemio have felt comfortable with himself if he had tried to prevent his son from leaving?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the different aspects of Artemio's life - Regina, Gonzalo Bernal, his relationship with Catalina, etc. Do you think Artemio was motivated by guilt? Why or why not? How did this affect his relationship with Catalina?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Padilla and the tape recorder? Is this an effective way of telling a story? Why did Padilla irritate Teresa so much?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)