1. How does the book open?
The book opens with Artemio Cruz lying in a hospital, regaining consciousness.
2. What is the first thing that Cruz is aware of as he wakes up?
The first thing that Cruz is aware of is a cold object against his penis. This is probably a catheter.
3. Who does Cruz see when he first opens his eyes?
Cruz can make out two women and the doctor who is examining him when he first opens his eyes.
4. When Cruz wakes up, who does he ask for?
When Cruz wakes up the first person he asks for is Padilla. He wants Padilla to turn on the tape recorder.
5. How does Cruz think of yesterday?
Cruz thinks that remembering yesterday is very important. He thinks of yesterday in terms of the future tense.
6. What impression does the reader have of Mr. Cruz's financial position?
The thinking of Mr. Cruz leads the reader to believe that he is a successful and wealthy businessman with many holdings and assets.
This section contains 1,843 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)