|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Minster Wen Jiezi?
2. What type of relationship did the first woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 have with Wu?
3. Why did Li end the case without letting Chen know?
4. Who calls the bureau in Chapter 37 looking for Chen?
5. Where does Chen return to at the beginning of Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37, and what does Chen think about it?
2. Who is Ouyang?
3. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
4. How do Chen and Ling know one another, and what is their current relationship?
5. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
6. What happens in Chen's meeting with Director Yao of the Party Discipline Committee?
7. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
8. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
9. When Chen returns to Guan's dormitory again in Chapter 36, what does he finally find, and why does it mean?
10. What information about the case does Old Hunter meet with Chen to share with him in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the title, "Death of a Red Heroine". Where does it come from? Why might the author have selected this title? Do you feel it is the most appropriate title for this story? Would you chose a different title?
Essay Topic 2
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)