|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chen returns to Guan's dormitory in Chapter 36, what does he look behind and finally find the motive for the murder?
2. Where did one of Old Hunter's sources see Guan interacting with a man on the night of her murder?
3. Who leaves a message for Chen in Chapter 28?
4. What is Chen told to do to the investigation in Chapter 29?
5. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
2. In Chapter 28, what does Secretary Li inform Chen of, regarding the case?
3. When Chen visits his mother in Chapter 27, what is she worried about?
4. How do Chen and Ling know one another, and what is their current relationship?
5. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
6. Why did Li lie to Chen and have Wu arrested without Chen and Yu knowing?
7. What irony does Chen realize about his new relationship with Ling and the connections to Wu's case?
8. What does Chen learn about Xei in Chapter 33?
9. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
10. Why does Wang call Chen late at night in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 3
Setting is a fundamental component of fiction. Describe the setting of "Death of a Red Heroine" and how it impacted the characters and plot. Be sure to address the time, place, and social environment.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)