|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yu have a hard time relaying to Chen the new information about the case he receives?
2. Who takes Chen to take a few days off in Chapter 33?
3. Who does Guo Qiang work for?
4. Who does Ouyang plan to ask to help Chen find Xie?
5. Who is Minster Wen Jiezi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
2. Who is Ouyang?
3. Who is Guo Qiang, and what is his role in the story?
4. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
5. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
6. What action of Dr. Xia's reinvigorates Chen's dedication to solving the case?
7. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
8. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
9. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
10. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 2
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary message of "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does the author want readers to walk away from the book understanding better or believing?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)