|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Old Hunter's job?
2. Where does Chen tell Peiqin to leave him messages?
3. What did the first woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 find that Wu keeps, which caused her to stop seeing him?
4. While on the phone in Chapter 31, what do Peiqin and Chen realize?
5. When Xie and Guan got in a physical altercation over Wu, whose side did Wu take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about the case does Old Hunter meet with Chen to share with him in Chapter 26?
2. What does Chen conclude about himself and his future actions at the end of the book?
3. What does Xie share with Chen about her relationship with Wu?
4. What does Jiang Wehe tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
5. When Chen visits his mother in Chapter 27, what is she worried about?
6. What irony does Chen realize about his new relationship with Ling and the connections to Wu's case?
7. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
8. What does Chen learn about Xei in Chapter 33?
9. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
10. How do Yu and Chen continue covertly sharing information about the case, so it does not appear that they are still working on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the literary technique of irony play is "Death of a Red Heroine"? What types of irony are seen in the story, and where do they appear? What purpose do they serve?
Essay Topic 2
Chen has a romantic relationship with two different women throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Compare and contrast Wang and Ling and their influence on Chen. Did he feel the same about both women? What did they offer him, and what did he offer them?
Essay Topic 3
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)