|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Chen and Peiqin meet in Chapter 32?
2. How does Chen's mother feel about his career?
3. What did the second woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 hope Wu would do to his wife?
4. What Chen surprised to learn upon meeting Xie for the first time?
5. What does Chen's new assignment in Chapter 37 appear on the surface to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motive for Guan's murder does Chen begin to consider in Chapter 33?
2. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
3. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37, and what does Chen think about it?
4. Who is Guo Qiang, and what is his role in the story?
5. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
6. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
7. What does Xie share with Chen about her relationship with Wu?
8. How do Yu and Chen continue covertly sharing information about the case, so it does not appear that they are still working on it?
9. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
10. How do Chen and Ling know one another, and what is their current relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 3
Chen and Yu are both very dedicated to solving the crime of Gun's death; however, they go about it in different ways. Compare and contrast Chen and Yu's approach to the case, investigation methods, and willingness to 'break the rules'.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)