|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the phone in Chapter 31, what do Peiqin and Chen realize?
2. Where does Chen stay while looking for Xie?
3. When Chen calls Li and tells him what happened with Gui Qiang, when does Li say they will meet to discuss it further?
4. What Chen surprised to learn upon meeting Xie for the first time?
5. Who does Chen see while leaving his hotel at the end of the book, and promises to speak with again soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
2. What have Yu and Chen be reassigned to do in Chapter 30?
3. Who is Ouyang?
4. What does Jiang Wehe tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
5. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
6. When Chen visits his mother in Chapter 27, what is she worried about?
7. Why does Wang call Chen late at night in Chapter 29?
8. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
9. In Chapter 28, what does Secretary Li inform Chen of, regarding the case?
10. What does Chen conclude about himself and his future actions at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary message of "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does the author want readers to walk away from the book understanding better or believing?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)