|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the second woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 hope Wu would do to his wife?
2. At the end of the book, Chen finally realizes that all he can rely on in his work is his own _______ and conscientiousness.
3. Who is Guo Qiang?
4. What does Li announce at his meeting with Chen in Chapter 39 that takes Chen completely by surprise?
5. In Chapter 32, Chen learns of a new witness who has stepped forward. Where did that witness see Wu the night of the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Li lie to Chen and have Wu arrested without Chen and Yu knowing?
2. Why does Wang call Chen late at night in Chapter 29?
3. What information about the case does Old Hunter meet with Chen to share with him in Chapter 26?
4. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
5. What happens in Chen's meeting with Director Yao of the Party Discipline Committee?
6. What action of Dr. Xia's reinvigorates Chen's dedication to solving the case?
7. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
8. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
9. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
10. What does Chen conclude about himself and his future actions at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which characters are main characters verses secondary characters, and how you distinguished between the two.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)