|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves a message for Chen in Chapter 28?
2. Who do Yu and Chen relay information about the case between?
3. What is Director Yao the director of?
4. In Chapter 32, Chen is supplied with a receipt for Wu's __________.
5. In Chen's new position in Chapter 37, who does he no longer need to report to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
2. How do Chen and Ling know one another, and what is their current relationship?
3. What does Jiang Wehe tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
4. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37, and what does Chen think about it?
5. What irony does Chen realize about his new relationship with Ling and the connections to Wu's case?
6. Who is Ouyang?
7. Who is Guo Qiang, and what is his role in the story?
8. When Chen visits his mother in Chapter 27, what is she worried about?
9. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
10. What does Chen do while unable to sleep in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 2
Chen and Yu are both very dedicated to solving the crime of Gun's death; however, they go about it in different ways. Compare and contrast Chen and Yu's approach to the case, investigation methods, and willingness to 'break the rules'.
Essay Topic 3
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)