|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yu temporarily reassigned to in Chapter 33?
2. Where does Chen go to look for Xie?
3. Who is Minster Wen Jiezi?
4. What was Xie's relationship with Wu?
5. In Chen's new position in Chapter 37, who does he no longer need to report to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about the case does Old Hunter meet with Chen to share with him in Chapter 26?
2. What does Chen learn about Xei in Chapter 33?
3. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
4. What motive for Guan's murder does Chen begin to consider in Chapter 33?
5. What does Chen conclude about himself and his future actions at the end of the book?
6. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37, and what does Chen think about it?
7. What does Old Hunter warn Chen about in Chapter 26?
8. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
9. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
10. Who is Ouyang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chen has a romantic relationship with two different women throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Compare and contrast Wang and Ling and their influence on Chen. Did he feel the same about both women? What did they offer him, and what did he offer them?
Essay Topic 2
There were many cases of things not being what they initially seemed. Select three examples from the book of things that, after learning a bit more, were very different from what they initially portrayed. Why might the author have presented information in this manner?
Essay Topic 3
Define 'villian' and determine who is the villain of "Death of a Red Heroine". What characteristics of this character earn him or her the title of 'villain'?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)