|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Chen stand up against for Yu?
2. What is Chen Cao's professional title?
3. What year was the photograph Chen finds in Guan's photo album dated?
4. During the era of this book, China is transitioning from _________ to a market-driven economy.
5. How much progress has been made on the case by the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
2. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
4. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
5. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
6. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
7. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
8. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
9. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
10. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss which characters are main characters verses secondary characters, and how you distinguished between the two.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is a fundamental component of fiction. Describe the setting of "Death of a Red Heroine" and how it impacted the characters and plot. Be sure to address the time, place, and social environment.
Essay Topic 3
What is Zhang's role in "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does he represent, or what is he the personification of?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)