|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zhang think of Chen's planned trip to Guangzhou?
2. What is Guan's last name?
3. Where does the person who sent Chen a gift live?
4. When Zhang is looking for a birthday gift for a friend in Chapter 21, what is he surprised by?
5. What do Yu and Chen agree on regarding the political aspects of the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
2. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
4. How does the information given to Chen by Uncle Bao and Wei Hong match up?
5. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
7. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
8. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
9. What does Detective Yu learn about Guan through interviewing her co-workers and neighbors?
10. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)