|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does HCC stand for?
2. Who is the picture that Chen finds in Guan's photo album addressed to?
3. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
4. What does the man who called Guan on her last night alive say?
5. What does Peiqin believe about Guan in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
2. Why is there tension between Chen and Yu?
3. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
4. How can Wu's photography career be described?
5. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
6. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
7. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
8. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
9. How does the information given to Chen by Uncle Bao and Wei Hong match up?
10. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 2
Define 'villian' and determine who is the villain of "Death of a Red Heroine". What characteristics of this character earn him or her the title of 'villain'?
Essay Topic 3
What is Zhang's role in "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does he represent, or what is he the personification of?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)