|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Chen stand up against for Yu?
2. What does Wu say he was doing the night of the murder?
3. How does Yu feel about the case in Chapter 10?
4. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
5. Where does Wang tell Chen she is moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
2. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
3. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
4. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
5. Why is there tension between Chen and Yu?
6. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
7. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
8. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
10. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting is a fundamental component of fiction. Describe the setting of "Death of a Red Heroine" and how it impacted the characters and plot. Be sure to address the time, place, and social environment.
Essay Topic 2
What is Zhang's role in "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does he represent, or what is he the personification of?
Essay Topic 3
Define 'villian' and determine who is the villain of "Death of a Red Heroine". What characteristics of this character earn him or her the title of 'villain'?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)