|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chen respond to Lu's request for a loan?
2. What do Chen and Yu think Wu's motive would be for killing Guan?
3. Where does the person who sent Chen a gift live?
4. What does Yu find in Guan's closet that seems out of place?
5. What department was Guan the head of in a department store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
2. What happens in Chen's meeting with Director Yao of the Party Discipline Committee?
3. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What information about the case does Old Hunter meet with Chen to share with him in Chapter 26?
5. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
6. Why did Li lie to Chen and have Wu arrested without Chen and Yu knowing?
7. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
8. What personal information does Dr. Xia's more detailed report in Chapter 5 reveal about the body found in the canal?
9. Who is Ouyang?
10. When Chen returns to Guan's dormitory again in Chapter 36, what does he finally find, and why does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define 'villian' and determine who is the villain of "Death of a Red Heroine". What characteristics of this character earn him or her the title of 'villain'?
Essay Topic 2
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)