|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chen fills Yu in on Wu in Chapter 20, how does Yu react?
2. Who did Chen stand up against for Yu?
3. What does Chen deduce, based on Guan's photos?
4. What color hair does the lady that Chen finds a picture of in Guan's photo album have?
5. What type of accent did the man who called Guan on her last night alive have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
2. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
3. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
4. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
5. How can Wu's photography career be described?
6. Who is Peiqin, and what are her thoughts on the the case?
7. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
8. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
9. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
10. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain poetry as a primary motif in "Death of a Red Heroin". Where does it appear and what forms? Why does the author include poetry as a motif?
Essay Topic 2
There were many cases of things not being what they initially seemed. Select three examples from the book of things that, after learning a bit more, were very different from what they initially portrayed. Why might the author have presented information in this manner?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)