|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does HCC stand for?
2. In Chapter 14, Chen returns to look at Guan's photo albums for the _______ time.
3. What does Chen find odd about Guan's final departure?
4. Wu Xiaoming had once photographed Guan for a _________.
5. On what date is the body involved in the main crime of this book found?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
3. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
4. How does the information given to Chen by Uncle Bao and Wei Hong match up?
5. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
6. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
7. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
8. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
9. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
10. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
Essay Topic 2
Even the heroes of a story are usually not perfect; they have character flaws. Determine who is the protagonist of "Death of a Red Heroine" and address each of his or her character flaws. When do these characters flaws become apparent, and how do they affect the hero?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)