|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jiang Weihe?
2. How does Zhang feel about Chen?
3. In Chapter 21, Zhang thinks that Yu ___________ him.
4. Where did the tour guide for Guan's trip to the Yellow Mountains move right after that trip?
5. In Chapter 14, Chen returns to look at Guan's photo albums for the _______ time.
Short Essay Questions
1. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
2. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
3. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
4. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
5. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
6. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
7. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
8. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
9. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the title, "Death of a Red Heroine". Where does it come from? Why might the author have selected this title? Do you feel it is the most appropriate title for this story? Would you chose a different title?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tone and mood (separately) of "Death of a Red Heroine", at what point(s) they change, how they change, and why.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the literary technique of irony play is "Death of a Red Heroine"? What types of irony are seen in the story, and where do they appear? What purpose do they serve?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)