|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time on the night she died did Guan's neighbor see her leave her dorm with a suitcase?
2. Guan was the public fact of what political party?
3. What meal do Chen and Wang have together in Chapter 11?
4. What is Guan's last name?
5. What is Chen throwing when he is first introduced in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Lu's restaurant play in Chapter 31?
2. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
4. In Chapter 28, what does Secretary Li inform Chen of, regarding the case?
5. What does Ning Jing tell Yu about her relationship with Wu?
6. What does Xie share with Chen about her relationship with Wu?
7. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
8. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
9. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
10. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
Essay Topic 1
What role does the literary technique of irony play is "Death of a Red Heroine"? What types of irony are seen in the story, and where do they appear? What purpose do they serve?
Essay Topic 2
Chen and Yu are both very dedicated to solving the crime of Gun's death; however, they go about it in different ways. Compare and contrast Chen and Yu's approach to the case, investigation methods, and willingness to 'break the rules'.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)