|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Dr. Xia's report reveal that the murdered woman had birthed?
2. What era is "Death of a Red Heroine" set in?
3. What do Yu and Chen agree on regarding the political aspects of the case?
4. When Zhang is looking for a birthday gift for a friend in Chapter 21, what is he surprised by?
5. Who was the tour guide on Guan's trip to the Yellow Mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
2. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
3. How can Wu's photography career be described?
4. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
5. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
6. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
7. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
8. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
9. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
10. How does the information given to Chen by Uncle Bao and Wei Hong match up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone and mood (separately) of "Death of a Red Heroine", at what point(s) they change, how they change, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)