|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chen find odd about Guan's final departure?
2. How did Guan's neighbors feel about her?
3. What unusual things do Guan's coworkers say she started doing prior to her death?
4. What does Zhang think of Chen's planned trip to Guangzhou?
5. What other odd item does Yu find in Guan's room that surprised him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
2. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
3. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
4. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
5. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
6. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
7. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
8. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
10. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 3
There were many cases of things not being what they initially seemed. Select three examples from the book of things that, after learning a bit more, were very different from what they initially portrayed. Why might the author have presented information in this manner?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)