|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Chen stand up against for Yu?
2. Who is Jiang Weihe?
3. What era is "Death of a Red Heroine" set in?
4. What meal do Chen and Wang have together in Chapter 11?
5. How much progress has been made on the case by the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
2. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
3. What surprising news does Wang announce to Chen during their dinner date in Chapter 18?
4. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
5. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
6. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
8. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
10. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
Essay Topic 3
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)