|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
2. How much progress has been made on the case by the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What does Yu want to focus on instead of the case in Chapter 10?
4. What do Chen and Yu think Wu's motive would be for killing Guan?
5. Who is Peiqin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
2. What personal information does Dr. Xia's more detailed report in Chapter 5 reveal about the body found in the canal?
3. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
4. What surprising news does Wang announce to Chen during their dinner date in Chapter 18?
5. What does Detective Yu learn about Guan through interviewing her co-workers and neighbors?
6. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
7. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
8. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chen has a romantic relationship with two different women throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Compare and contrast Wang and Ling and their influence on Chen. Did he feel the same about both women? What did they offer him, and what did he offer them?
Essay Topic 2
There were many cases of things not being what they initially seemed. Select three examples from the book of things that, after learning a bit more, were very different from what they initially portrayed. Why might the author have presented information in this manner?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)