|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lu ask Chen for a loan?
2. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
3. What does Wu say he was doing the night of the murder?
4. What is Yu's father known as?
5. What does Yu's report confirm that the body found in the canal died of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
2. What does Detective Yu learn about Guan through interviewing her co-workers and neighbors?
3. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
4. What personal information does Dr. Xia's more detailed report in Chapter 5 reveal about the body found in the canal?
5. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
6. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
8. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
9. Who is Peiqin, and what are her thoughts on the the case?
10. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the title, "Death of a Red Heroine". Where does it come from? Why might the author have selected this title? Do you feel it is the most appropriate title for this story? Would you chose a different title?
Essay Topic 2
Chen and Yu are both very dedicated to solving the crime of Gun's death; however, they go about it in different ways. Compare and contrast Chen and Yu's approach to the case, investigation methods, and willingness to 'break the rules'.
Essay Topic 3
Chen has a romantic relationship with two different women throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Compare and contrast Wang and Ling and their influence on Chen. Did he feel the same about both women? What did they offer him, and what did he offer them?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)