|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Chen deduce Guan's relationship with the killer was?
2. The relationship between Yu and Chen is filled with ______.
3. How does Chen respond to Lu's request for a loan?
4. What is the body that Gao finds wrapped in?
5. What does Party Secretary Li Guoha suggest Chen do with the murder case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
2. What does Detective Yu learn about Guan through interviewing her co-workers and neighbors?
3. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
4. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
5. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
6. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
7. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
8. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters help Chen in his investigation, and without their help, he likely would never have been able to solve the crime. Which three characters do you feel were most instrumental in assisting Chen in solving the mystery of Guan's murder?
Essay Topic 2
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
Essay Topic 3
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)