|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chen throwing when he is first introduced in the book?
2. What is Yu's father known as?
3. Why is Wu's photography considered controversial?
4. At what time on the night she died did Guan's neighbor see her leave her dorm with a suitcase?
5. When Zhang is looking for a birthday gift for a friend in Chapter 21, what is he surprised by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
2. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
3. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
4. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
5. How does the information given to Chen by Uncle Bao and Wei Hong match up?
6. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
7. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
9. What surprising news does Wang announce to Chen during their dinner date in Chapter 18?
10. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the literary technique of irony play is "Death of a Red Heroine"? What types of irony are seen in the story, and where do they appear? What purpose do they serve?
Essay Topic 2
Chen has a romantic relationship with two different women throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Compare and contrast Wang and Ling and their influence on Chen. Did he feel the same about both women? What did they offer him, and what did he offer them?
Essay Topic 3
Explain poetry as a primary motif in "Death of a Red Heroin". Where does it appear and what forms? Why does the author include poetry as a motif?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)