|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chen purchase on his lunch break in Chapter 4?
2. What does Chen find odd about Guan's final departure?
3. What meal do Chen and Wang have together in Chapter 11?
4. What gift does Chen receive in Chapter 11?
5. What does Yu want to focus on instead of the case in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
2. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
3. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
4. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
6. What personal information does Dr. Xia's more detailed report in Chapter 5 reveal about the body found in the canal?
7. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
8. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
9. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
10. What is ironic about Chen's thoughts during and after his lunch date with Wang in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
Essay Topic 2
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
Essay Topic 3
Setting is a fundamental component of fiction. Describe the setting of "Death of a Red Heroine" and how it impacted the characters and plot. Be sure to address the time, place, and social environment.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)