|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What selfish reason does Wang give for wanting to move?
2. What year was the photograph Chen finds in Guan's photo album dated?
3. What unusual things do Guan's coworkers say she started doing prior to her death?
4. Why does Lu ask Chen for a loan?
5. What other odd item does Yu find in Guan's room that surprised him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
3. What does Chen find when he returns to Guan's dormitory for the third time?
4. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
5. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
7. How can Wu's photography career be described?
8. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
9. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
10. What did Chen do for Yu that surprised Yu and changed the way he thought of Chen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Zhang's role in "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does he represent, or what is he the personification of?
Essay Topic 2
Explain poetry as a primary motif in "Death of a Red Heroin". Where does it appear and what forms? Why does the author include poetry as a motif?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary message of "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does the author want readers to walk away from the book understanding better or believing?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)