|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other odd item does Yu find in Guan's room that surprised him?
2. What does Chen purchase on his lunch break in Chapter 4?
3. What clue related to the case does Chen realize is hard to come by in Shanghai?
4. What activity is Captain Gao Ziling doing when he finds the body?
5. What do Yu and Chen agree on regarding the political aspects of the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
2. What is Wu's alibi for the night of the murder, and why is it suspicious?
3. How does Wang help Chen in his investigation in Chapter 16?
4. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
5. What personal information does Dr. Xia's more detailed report in Chapter 5 reveal about the body found in the canal?
6. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
7. How is Chen feeling about the case at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
9. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
10. Why is there tension between Chen and Yu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the motives of any two of the following characters:
• Old Hunter
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of literary techniques throughout "Death of a Red Heroine". Which techniques were used and how effectively? Where there any literary techniques not utilized that would have strengthened the story?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)