|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accent did the man who called Guan on her last night alive have?
2. How does Zhang feel about Chen?
3. What meal do Chen and Wang have together in Chapter 11?
4. What is Wang Feng's profession?
5. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lai Guojun, and why did his relationship with Guan change?
2. What information does Peiqin pass on to Chen from Yu at the Karaoke party?
3. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
4. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
5. How does the murder victim's profession change the whole tone of the investigation?
6. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
7. Who is Peiqin, and what are her thoughts on the the case?
8. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
9. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
10. What happens in Chen's meeting with Director Yao of the Party Discipline Committee?
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre and sub-genre (if applicable) of "Death of a Red Heroine". What evidence from the book lead you to your genre choice?
Essay Topic 3
Explain poetry as a primary motif in "Death of a Red Heroin". Where does it appear and what forms? Why does the author include poetry as a motif?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)