|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the body that Gao finds wrapped in?
2. Where do Chen and Yu confront Wu in Chapter 21?
3. What does HCC stand for?
4. What do Wang and Chen discuss over their meal in Chapter 11?
5. When Zhang is looking for a birthday gift for a friend in Chapter 21, what is he surprised by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
2. How can Wu's photography career be described?
3. What does Zhang do with Chen's poem that he finds?
4. What happens with Chen and Yu confront Wu in his home in Chapter 20?
5. Who is Peiqin, and what are her thoughts on the the case?
6. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
7. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
8. When Chen returns to Guan's room to examine her photos, what does he notice?
9. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
10. How do Yu's frustrations with the case in Chapter 10 compare with Chen's previous frustrations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary message of "Death of a Red Heroine"? What does the author want readers to walk away from the book understanding better or believing?
Essay Topic 2
Explain poetry as a primary motif in "Death of a Red Heroin". Where does it appear and what forms? Why does the author include poetry as a motif?
Essay Topic 3
Conflicts are prevalent in "Death of a Red Heroine". Select two of the following types of conflict and compare/contrast an example of each from the book.
• Man vs. Man
• Man vs. Self
• Man vs. Society
• Man vs. Nature
• Man vs. Technology
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)