|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Dr. Xia's report reveal that the murdered woman had birthed?
2. Guan was the public fact of what political party?
3. What is Chen's nickname for Lu?
4. When Chen fills Yu in on Wu in Chapter 20, how does Yu react?
5. On what date is the body involved in the main crime of this book found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bao Guozhang, and how does he help Chen?
2. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
3. Why is there tension between Chen and Yu?
4. What does Lu ask Chen for at the housewarming party, and what does Chen's response suggest about their relationship?
5. What is the murder victim's name, and why is it significant?
6. When an emergency meeting is held for all involved with the case, what is announced and how does Chen feel about it?
7. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
8. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
9. Who is Peiqin, and what are her thoughts on the the case?
10. What does Detective Yu learn about Guan through interviewing her co-workers and neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a prominent theme in "Death of a Red Heroine". Discuss the personal and professional losses of at least two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Define 'villian' and determine who is the villain of "Death of a Red Heroine". What characteristics of this character earn him or her the title of 'villain'?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Wu's former lovers, their relationships with Wu, and what they had to say about him.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)