|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the package that Chen receives in Chapter 34 from?
(b) His mother.
2. What is Yu temporarily reassigned to in Chapter 33?
(a) A different murder case.
(b) Look after visiting American writers.
(c) Vacation time.
(d) Security at a conference.
3. Who does Director Yao want Chen to hand the case over to?
(b) Internal Security.
(c) International Security.
4. What final favor does Chen do for Wang?
(a) Puchases her plane tickets.
(b) Sends her a fairwell note.
(c) Sends her some money.
(d) Gets her passport application approved quickly.
5. At the end of the book, Chen finally realizes that all he can rely on in his work is his own _______ and conscientiousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chen when Old Hunter calls him in Chapter 26?
2. What was Guan and the man doing when one of Old Hunter's sources saw them interacting?
3. What does the message left of Chen in Chapter 28 summon him to do?
4. Who takes Chen to take a few days off in Chapter 33?
5. What does Guo Qiang say or do to Chen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Chen and Ling know one another, and what is their current relationship?
2. When Chen returns to Guan's dormitory again in Chapter 36, what does he finally find, and why does it mean?
3. What motive for Guan's murder does Chen begin to consider in Chapter 33?
4. What does Old Hunter warn Chen about in Chapter 26?
5. What does Chen use his new role as Traffic Control Office to assign Old Hunter to do, and why can he get away with it?
6. What irony does Chen realize about his new relationship with Ling and the connections to Wu's case?
7. How does the speed and outcome of Wu's trial reflect the changing political scene in China at the time of the book?
8. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
9. Who is Ouyang?
10. What does Chen learn about Xei in Chapter 33?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)