|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chen returns to Guan's dormitory in Chapter 36, what does he look behind and finally find the motive for the murder?
(a) A large wooden desk.
(b) A painting on the wall.
(c) A loose floor tile.
(d) A poster of a Chinese leader.
2. What does Li announce at his meeting with Chen in Chapter 39 that takes Chen completely by surprise?
(a) The case is concluded and Wu has been arrested.
(b) The case is concluded, and the murerer is not Wu.
(c) Wu is dead, so the case is concluded.
(d) The case will be discontinued.
3. Where does Chen end up after wandering the streets at night in Chapter 29?
(a) Wang's apartment.
(b) A small diner.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) A post office.
4. Who is Minster Wen Jiezi?
(a) Head of the Security Department.
(b) Ling's fiance.
(c) Head of the Shanghai mafia.
(d) Wu's uncle.
5. What is Yu temporarily reassigned to in Chapter 33?
(a) A different murder case.
(b) Look after visiting American writers.
(c) Security at a conference.
(d) Vacation time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What final favor does Chen do for Wang?
2. What do Ling and Chen share a love of?
3. What did Guan see as her main obstacle in being with Wu permanently?
4. When Chen calls Li and tells him what happened with Gui Qiang, when does Li say they will meet to discuss it further?
5. Who does Guo Qiang work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Chen get from Ling, his friend in Beijing, to his plea for help sent earlier?
2. When Chen visits his mother in Chapter 27, what is she worried about?
3. What does Chen conclude about himself and his future actions at the end of the book?
4. What motive for Guan's murder does Chen begin to consider in Chapter 33?
5. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37, and what does Chen think about it?
6. What have Yu and Chen be reassigned to do in Chapter 30?
7. What does Old Hunter warn Chen about in Chapter 26?
8. Who is Ouyang?
9. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
10. Who is Guo Qiang, and what is his role in the story?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)