|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the surname of the called Uncle Boa identifies as the man who called Guan the night she died?
2. How does Chen respond to Lu's request for a loan?
(a) He grants it to him, but with a high interst.
(b) He says he needs to think about it.
(c) He grants it to him, free of interest.
(d) He says "No."
3. What good news does Wang call Chen to tell him?
(a) One of his poems will be published.
(b) She wants to go on vacation with him.
(c) She got a promotion.
(d) She heard is about to get a promotion.
4. What unusual things do Guan's coworkers say she started doing prior to her death?
(a) Taking more vacation and wearing jewlery.
(b) Smoking and being rude to customers.
(c) Working extra hours and not wearing any make-up.
(d) Skipping work and wearing more make-up.
5. Where did the tour guide for Guan's trip to the Yellow Mountains move right after that trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Wu Xiaoming had once photographed Guan for a _________.
2. What clue related to the case does Chen realize is hard to come by in Shanghai?
3. Who is Wang moving to be with?
4. During the era of this book, China is transitioning from _________ to a market-driven economy.
5. What does Zhang think of Chen's planned trip to Guangzhou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What breakthrough realization does Chen have about a clue in the case in Chapter 9?
2. Describe the situation when Chen meets Xie.
3. What is Party Secretary Li Guoha's relationship to Chen, and what evidence is there of this relationship in Chapter 4?
4. How does Wang's news in Chapter 18 affect Chen's focus?
5. What happens in Chen's meeting with Director Yao of the Party Discipline Committee?
6. What good news does Wang call Chen with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. Why is it significant to Chen when he learns that Wu has applied for a visa to America?
8. How is the body at the center of the book's crime found?
9. How can the era that "Death of a Red Heroine" is set in be described?
10. What type of character is Chief Inspector Chen introduced as?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)