|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Chen and Ling date?
(b) When Chen first moved to Beijing.
(c) In the military.
(d) High school.
2. In Chapter 32, Chen learns of a new witness who has stepped forward. Where did that witness see Wu the night of the murder?
(a) At Lu's restaurant.
(b) Near the canal.
(c) Driving toward Beijing.
(d) At Guan's apartment building.
3. Who leaves a message for Chen in Chapter 28?
(b) Secretary Li.
4. What did the first woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 find that Wu keeps, which caused her to stop seeing him?
(a) Naked pictures of all the women he's been with.
(b) Articles of clothing from other women he's been with.
(c) A diary, detailing their sexual relationship.
(d) Old girlfriends' phone numbers.
5. Who asks Chen to introduce them for Party membership?
(a) Little Zhou.
(b) Dr. Xia.
(d) Chen's mother.
6. What is Chen told to do to the investigation in Chapter 29?
(a) Suspend it.
(b) Take the investigation undercover.
(c) Solve it by whatever means necessary.
(d) Resolve it as quickly as possible.
7. Where does Chen return to at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) Lu's restaurant.
(b) The karoake party.
(c) His apartment.
(d) His office.
8. What type of relationship did the first woman Yu interviews in Chapter 25 have with Wu?
(a) They were engaged.
(b) Purely sexual.
(c) She was in love with him, but he was not in love with her.
(d) He was in love with her, but she was not in love with him.
9. Old Hunter assigned to patrol whose neighborhood Chapter 38?
(c) Secretary Li's.
10. After Ling and Chen reconnect, what does he do while she sleeps?
(a) Works on the case.
(c) Writes poetry.
(d) Watches her.
11. What was Xie's relationship with Wu?
(a) They were engaged.
(b) They were married.
(c) A short fling.
(d) They dated several years.
12. Who is Guo Qiang?
(a) A goverment official who interferes with the case.
(b) The man selected to replace Chen on the case.
(c) The man providing Wu's alibi for the night of the murder.
(d) Ling's boyfriend.
13. Why does Yu have a hard time relaying to Chen the new information about the case he receives?
(a) Yu is too afraid of getting caught and fired.
(b) Chen refuses to listen to him.
(c) They can't appear to be working on the case.
(d) They are in different countries.
14. What does the person Chen visits in Chapter 27 think about his actions with Wang?
(a) Chen messed up again.
(b) Chen did the right thing.
(c) Chen should have asked Wang to marry him.
(d) Chen should have begged her to stay.
15. What does Chen and Ling's relationship feel like when they reconnect in the hotel?
(c) Like they never parted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Guan see as her main obstacle in being with Wu permanently?
2. Why does Chen want to see Guo Qiang?
3. In Chapter 32, Chen is supplied with a receipt for Wu's __________.
4. What is concerning to Secretary Li and Internal Security about the case?
5. At the end of the book, Chen finally realizes that all he can rely on in his work is his own _______ and conscientiousness.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)