|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Chen and Xie talk about the case?
(a) Over lunch.
(b) Over coffee.
(c) Over dinner.
(d) In a hotel room.
2. What does Chen's new assignment in Chapter 37 appear on the surface to be?
(a) An odd assignment for him.
(b) A demotion.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A promotion.
3. Chen is also given a tape in Chapter 32; what is on that tape?
(a) Yu's interview with the new witness.
(b) Yu's interview with Wu.
(c) A secret message from Guan.
(d) Wu's confession to the crime.
4. What key piece of evidence was not used in Wu's trial?
(a) The gun.
(c) The car.
(d) A witness.
5. When the Americans in Chapter 31 suggest that Chen pick a restaurant for them to dine in, where does Chen pick?
(a) An American style restaurant.
(b) The Red Heroine.
(c) A waterfront place that sells caviar.
(d) Lu's restaurnat.
6. What is Yu temporarily reassigned to in Chapter 33?
(a) Security at a conference.
(b) Vacation time.
(c) A different murder case.
(d) Look after visiting American writers.
7. Where does Chen end up after wandering the streets at night in Chapter 29?
(a) A post office.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) Wang's apartment.
(d) A small diner.
8. Who is Chen surprised to see at his meeting with Li in Chapter 39?
(a) Dr. Xia.
(d) All answers are correct.
9. Who do Yu and Chen relay information about the case between?
10. Where does Chen stay while looking for Xie?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A hostel.
(c) A motel.
(d) With a friend.
11. What is concerning to Secretary Li and Internal Security about the case?
(a) The lack of motive.
(b) Wu's safety.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Chen's safety.
12. How does Chen respond to Wang's late-night phone call and offer to come over in Chapter 29?
(a) He accepts it.
(b) He yells at her and hangs up.
(c) He rejects it.
(d) He cries and says its too hard.
13. Who is Guo Qiang?
(a) Ling's boyfriend.
(b) A goverment official who interferes with the case.
(c) The man providing Wu's alibi for the night of the murder.
(d) The man selected to replace Chen on the case.
14. In Chapter 32, Chen is supplied with a receipt for Wu's __________.
(b) Gas purchase.
(c) Photo paper.
(d) Dark room lights.
15. At the end of the book, Chen finally realizes that all he can rely on in his work is his own _______ and conscientiousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chen find out was arrested in Chapter 33?
2. What does Li announce at his meeting with Chen in Chapter 39 that takes Chen completely by surprise?
3. When Xie and Guan got in a physical altercation over Wu, whose side did Wu take?
4. What new assignment is Chen given in Chapter 37?
5. What does Chen receive from Xie before Chen reveals that he is a cop?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)